Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of, I tried to do Doryani's Prototype with Doryani's Fist, using General's Cry to trigger mirage warriors to do the slam.

I tried to experiment with using Stormfire ring "your lightning damage can also ignite" but the enemies are not igniting. I'm not sure if that's bugged or what, because Vigilant Strike says "you gain fortify" and the mirage warriors will give it to you. And they are shocking the enemy, and I do have innate 20% change to ignite. But it's not working for some reason. I guess it doesn't matter, because the ignite becomes fire damage, which enemies still have high resistance to. It's just weird because mirage warriors occupy some area where they're not quite minions and not quite you, but sometimes count as you.
I believe it's because all they get is linked gems - you get Fortify from Vigilant Strike because they're using Vigilant Strike as 'you', but you don't get ignites from Stormfire Ring because they're not wearing a Stormfire Ring. If you link them to CoH/Flammability then they'll curse on hit, but if you have a ring that inflicts Flammability on hit then they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

Slams got heavily nerfed when seismic cry was killed last league

I’m sure some work still

Not a slam but I'm playing Chemist's Boneshatter Zerker and it uses 3-4 warcries so it plays similarly. Made it to the end of yellow maps on ~25c of gear (15 was the weapon) and I'm sailing through reds with about another ex invested. Bosses are a bit rough because you have to line up everything or do zero damage and Veritana never leaves her stupid cloud, but that's part of the fun.

My second character is a skele mage summoner so it's a great duality. I can piano or zone out to fit my mood.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What are you following for skelly mages

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

and this is just the poo poo that made it through the filter, too
scourged maps gonna be really profitable once i don't care about exp and start doing it in red maps lmao

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The basic currency items isn't even that great either as you can see, it doesn't seem to drop the higher currency almost ever compared to something like the nemesis sextant. The best ones to roll for are stuff like Scarabs, Legion/Breach/Simulacrum Splinters, Tainted Currency, Fossils, Stacked Decks and Expedition Currency. Maps and influenced items can be solid on t16 maps, but the rest are amazing on t1 maps and you can get them to scourge tier 10 much faster.

The best method is to take the map to tier 1 and see what the reward is, if it's not a good one just dump the map and start a new one. From what we can tell it seems like it's far more likely to upgrade an existing reward than it is to add a completely new reward type. Just keep running maps up until they either hit tier 10 or are about to have downsides too high for you to run. It's a big advantage to doing low tier maps is you can suffer a much larger downside and still easily do the map.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

What are you following for skelly mages

Kay's, just in white maps with twinked gear (badly scourged but not bricked 6l Fleshcrafters aren't that expensive) so we'll see how it changes later on.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

queeb posted:

casually tanking kosis under 300 nightmare stacks

I'm pretty sure the stacks only affect scourge dudes, Kosis is nothing at 200+ stacks compared to a white scourge mob

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cinara posted:

The basic currency items isn't even that great either as you can see, it doesn't seem to drop the higher currency almost ever compared to something like the nemesis sextant.

yeah i just did a 4x simulacrum drops map and it dropped 16-20x per rare, it's way better

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Octavian on Tarke's baeclast just now made a really good point about why krangling feels so bad. It's a little too long to clip the whole thing, but basically he was saying it's not deterministic enough to actually plan around, but then as a yolo gambling mechanic the upsides aren't good enough to justify doing it over the other yolo mechanics in the game.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchyAbstruseLadiesFailFish-uV8puRagsHbyO_S9

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The maps are great tho

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, scourged maps are fantastic and the feel of the scourge dimension is great, but the items themselves are a big disappointment.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Papercut posted:

Octavian on Tarke's baeclast just now made a really good point about why krangling feels so bad. It's a little too long to clip the whole thing, but basically he was saying it's not deterministic enough to actually plan around, but then as a yolo gambling mechanic the upsides aren't good enough to justify doing it over the other yolo mechanics in the game.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchyAbstruseLadiesFailFish-uV8puRagsHbyO_S9

That has been pretty much my take, as someone who enjoys the idea and concept. The pool of good affixes isn't good enough and is too diluted, the pool of bad affixes is very likely to wreck the item.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 2, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Definitely could have doubled the good ones

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks everyone, that Arc/Ignite is seeming like exactly what I want.

Slams would be cool too but not if they just got nerfed lol

whypick1 posted:

tbf, your computer might have had absolutely nothing to do with either of those crashes happening.

Not to like praise the older netcode or anything but both machines were under-specced macbooks with various versions of the mac client or bootcamp (running cracked XP) depending on when. I literally couldn't turn the graphics down low enough.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Some slams def still work. Ground slam, conc path, uh … the others

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Could someone add me to the guild? Character name: Renczi. TIA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

I believe it's because all they get is linked gems - you get Fortify from Vigilant Strike because they're using Vigilant Strike as 'you', but you don't get ignites from Stormfire Ring because they're not wearing a Stormfire Ring. If you link them to CoH/Flammability then they'll curse on hit, but if you have a ring that inflicts Flammability on hit then they won't.

Thanks... still confusing, but the least confusing explanation I've seen so far.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Elentor posted:

That has been pretty much my take, as someone who enjoys the idea and concept. The pool of good affixes isn't good enough and is too diluted, the pool of bad affixes is very likely to wreck the item.

the weighting on it is completely hosed and i have no idea at all what on earth they were thinking. the scourge item drops especially are the single most worthless thing they've added to the game in years and years. Like it's already 1/1000+ that a ground item is good. now it's an added 1/1000 chance they you got one of the actually strong mods on the ground scourge drop

and on top of that you can't even craft a single useful mod onto the items, which means that the odds of getting something good are at least an order of magnitude rarer cuz you need it to drop essentially perfect since you can't just craft whatever it is missing on

everything else is dope though, but lmao scourge drops. kinda feels like whatever idiot who hates fun was responsible for imploding last league got relegated to designing the scourge item drops

The poe item system is literally held together by the ability to craft at least one useful affix on every item.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So I found an Empower gem and I have no idea what I should do with it. Use it, sell it, or level it up and sell it? It's worth 2ex right now which isn't a lot, but it's more than I have in raw currency right now.

I'm running lily's dd/vs spellslinger. I wonder if I can throw it into that build for a boost.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm torn between "don't waste time in krangleland because you'll never get anything worthwhile" and "but the bar is full so I have to press the button and do the thing and also there's skill points"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

xZAOx posted:

I'm torn between "don't waste time in krangleland because you'll never get anything worthwhile" and "but the bar is full so I have to press the button and do the thing and also there's skill points"

Dont think of krangletown as a place for items, think of it as a place for experience. Jump in, smash a screens worth, jump out, keep running.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

Some slams def still work. Ground slam, conc path, uh … the others

People still like Ice Crash and Smite for One With Nothing Raiders

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i really wish being jsut a spellcaster was like, actually good. like just loving self casting arc or something, why does it always need to be in a trap or mine setup or some poo poo.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the weighting on it is completely hosed and i have no idea at all what on earth they were thinking. the scourge item drops especially are the single most worthless thing they've added to the game in years and years. Like it's already 1/1000+ that a ground item is good. now it's an added 1/1000 chance they you got one of the actually strong mods on the ground scourge drop

and on top of that you can't even craft a single useful mod onto the items, which means that the odds of getting something good are at least an order of magnitude rarer cuz you need it to drop essentially perfect since you can't just craft whatever it is missing on

everything else is dope though, but lmao scourge drops. kinda feels like whatever idiot who hates fun was responsible for imploding last league got relegated to designing the scourge item drops

The poe item system is literally held together by the ability to craft at least one useful affix on every item.

The boring positive scourge mods like +life, +ES, +resists should have their values massively increased to make them at least interesting. I just don't really see a reason to scourge usable/sell-able items when the upside is something like +25 life or +20 resists. Even when the downside doesn't brick your build, losing the ability to easily change the item sockets & mods just isn't worth such a small bonus. Plus scourging an item you want to sell makes it much harder to find buyers since many people now filter corrupted items from their searches, I know I am. The scourge map mods are great though and I wish I could just bake 5 of those at once.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The generic every zone krangleverse is a place to get your maps kranglejuice so you can go to the rewarding version of krangleverse.

For items it's get a 6l on league start and then krangle any cheap uniques you use. That's a really big deal for some builds.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My idea is make it super common for absurd items to drop ( like smartloot, heist rares head-hunters etc) to roll, but with completely brickworthy scourge modifiers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

queeb posted:

i really wish being jsut a spellcaster was like, actually good. like just loving self casting arc or something, why does it always need to be in a trap or mine setup or some poo poo.

They made Archmage because they decided mana stacker needed to be better for some reason and then until last patch spent like 2 years nerfing self casting to nerf Archmage instead of y'know, just nerfing the gem. so now self casting generally feels like rear end and everyone just does traps because at least those have side benefits and a better ascendancy

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's also that skills where you have to stand still feel way worse than skills where you can be constantly moving, in a defensive sense. There's no easy way to balance around that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

It's also that skills where you have to stand still feel way worse than skills where you can be constantly moving, in a defensive sense. There's no easy way to balance around that.

I think they could simply make a good support that can't support anything triggered, totems, etc so you can only use it self casting and it gives some damage and cast speed and stun avoid or something. Probably let it be used for non movement channel skills too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hamelekim posted:

So I found an Empower gem and I have no idea what I should do with it. Use it, sell it, or level it up and sell it? It's worth 2ex right now which isn't a lot, but it's more than I have in raw currency right now.

I'm running lily's dd/vs spellslinger. I wonder if I can throw it into that build for a boost.

Ask yourself how much of an upgrade in dps you'd get by selling that and buying 2 ex worth of gear.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I'd rather have all selfcast abilities that are not channeled let you move while casting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

A trip report on the tornado shot occultist now that I'm basically done buying things for it: https://pastebin.com/F6dpujzQ

At ~5-6 ex invested, this is a very good build as long as you're aware of what you're getting. This is the fastest mapper I've ever played post explode chest nerf, and probably the fastest mapper I've ever played at such a low budget, period. It shreds t14-16 maps, consistently reaching scourge stacks in the 180-250 range with the limiting factor even on the high end beingmob density instead of killing speed or survivability. It can handle every map mod without dying, though poison avoidance is obviously not a good idea unless you're really desperate; reflects/no regen/no leech are no problem. Compared to the Fyregrass video everyone was passing around before the league, the main difference is investment in evasion via reservation nodes to fit Grace, which also enables Ghost Shroud. Vaal Breach is also fantastic for entering the krangleverse, applying a monstrous hinder to mobs around you which gives your poison a chance to spin up and start the screen-clearing chain reaction.

What it can't do is bosses. Most map bosses are fine because the +120% ailment duration while focused mod is straight up cracked and you can just throw some totems at the boss, focus, and run away. Even t16 bosses with defensive map mods melt in 15 seconds or so. But Sirus and Maven both clear poisons when they teleport, and the curse-based defensive package is almost entirely ineffective against them, leaving you to plink away for piddling damage while having 4300 life. Not a recipe for success. Even Baran can get pretty scary. But if you want a build that can farm currency using the league mechanic smoothly and quickly with very low investment, this is a good one for you.

I think the next big upgrade would be the ability to apply your curses via a corrupted Hands of the High Templar, or even just dropping down to two curses with a normally krangled rare glove + despair on hit ring. That would free you from having to use Lioneye's Paws to get your curses, which are transcendentally lovely boots. You could put on whatever zoomy boots you liked, or even voidwalkers for the phasing and pierce, which saves you from allocating that kinda mediocre projectile pierce spur on the right side of the tree.

I think I'm gonna give this a shot. This is definitely a big clearspeed league, and I already have a good bosser with seismic traps.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Larry Parrish posted:

They made Archmage because they decided mana stacker needed to be better for some reason and then until last patch spent like 2 years nerfing self casting to nerf Archmage instead of y'know, just nerfing the gem. so now self casting generally feels like rear end and everyone just does traps because at least those have side benefits and a better ascendancy

archmage actually owns and is still v good

for a couple of skills anyways

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ask yourself how much of an upgrade in dps you'd get by selling that and buying 2 ex worth of gear.

Yeah. I’m so used to just keeping everything most leagues. I guess I’ll see what I can get for my build for that much .

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I think I'm gonna give this a shot. This is definitely a big clearspeed league, and I already have a good bosser with seismic traps.

for the love of god, level as TR/caustic arrow occultist instead of tornado shot. also, until you have grace + ghost shrouds online, well. that cast on death + portal link is in the pob for a reason. it honestly made it to 93 though with grace, which isn't the worst.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Was feeling pretty poo poo about still being on a 4 link in late yellow maps, thought gently caress it, I've got about a hundred fuses, might as well try and 5 link my dendrobate. Next thing I know, 6 linked it in 50. Was staring at it for a second not comprehending what happened.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Decent league overall, the changes to the core game were just fantastic and the QOL that was desperately needed. The 100 map atlas felt exactly as amazing as I expected, and the stacking loot was a godsend. League mechanic itself was a bit of a disappointment, the scourged maps were rewarding but not exciting and scourging items I ended up just ignoring completely outside of the challenge.

Played Raider TR, was a great build, super tanky, fast and good enough damage for all the content. Ran on an essentially SSF budget all the way to Maven and never really had issues. Not gonna go for 100 this league, as while I enjoyed it a lot I'd rather wait for the endgame rework next league and not burn myself out. Speaking of I am very excited for whatever they end up doing, the Conqs and Sirus are starting to feel a bit stale and I'd love to see a new set of bosses and progression to go with it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Was feeling pretty poo poo about still being on a 4 link in late yellow maps

I definitely know that feeling. I've never stopped to grind blood aqueducts for a tabula but I've strongly considered it before. I don't care about leveling with bad links from junk from off the ground, but still not having a good 5 link at the start of red maps sucks

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's part of why SSF is more fun though, all those little bits of luck are more meaningful. Dropped 2 of the optional uniques for my build in the first few map tiers, and it felt good. The incremental progression and constant build tweaking using everything you've got at your disposal is so much more rewarding to me than just grinding currency or hoping for big ticket drops so you can spend ages trading for the next bit of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

i only do builds that are good at both and plenty of other people prefer that so it's probably not just hipster status keeping it really expensive. not to mention you could just slap all 4 defensive or all 4 offensive flasks and free up and absolutely huge amount of gear space (at the cost of an item more expensive than most people's entire stashes lol)

don't you not kill sirus?