Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ror posted:

Who, Greg Kelly? It's a parody account in the sense that he is basically a parody of a human being, yes.

Absurdist humor with a bunch of chud stuff sprinkled in to attempt to normalize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Samovar posted:

That's funnier than anything he's done in his comic for a drat long time.

I didn't even notice it was Jeph! Probably because it didn't feature a goofy robot, or someone developing new-found attractions

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

https://twitter.com/maliceguardian/status/1454890353966948355

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This thread is a thing of glory and you want to read all of it. https://twitter.com/garius/status/1455144876719452169

Big fan of this and I don't even watch Star Trek

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neither do I!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/K_rich_21/status/1454718072779067397

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I know that's a photo shop, but it's existence as a photoshop guarantees it's gonna be a real thing very soon.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I know that's a photo shop, but it's existence as a photoshop guarantees it's gonna be a real thing very soon.

Allow me to be the first to thank you for the gift of your body's water.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/TheDonlon94/status/1455214487288549383?s=20

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I'm the forgotten child they had to photoshop in later.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Neither do I!

i liked the bit with the cats that just turn up on different decks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Well at least he's not a pedophile

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/bowsnonk/status/1455279107743305734?s=21

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

https://twitter.com/elle91/status/1323105954808909827?t=Sv0K9O1JrLvlHfbiQss1CQ&s=19

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/fi_lor/status/1455275283418845185

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a prettier pattern than 90% of the poo poo high end fashion houses crap out

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a prettier pattern than 90% of the poo poo high end fashion houses crap out

Are you saying the patterns aren't complicated? Because they are. They are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So, a Turkish mosaic?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Subjunctive posted:

So, a Turkish mosaic?

No?

If it was after the arrival of the Turks they would have said so.

Though depending on the area it was found in even their arrival wouldn’t change much

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

So, a Turkish mosaic?

Fair to say its Roman as it was made 600 years before the Turkish empire existed.

Unless you're thinking having it makes it yours in which case the British Museum is very interested in your thoughts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CharlestheHammer posted:

No?

If it was after the arrival of the Turks they would have said so.

How do you feel about “Turkish beaches”? Is Istanbul a Greek city or a Turkish one?

Aramoro posted:

Unless you're thinking having it makes it yours in which case the British Museum is very interested in your thoughts.

I thought the “true provenance” of such artifacts was generally based on where they were taken from by the British, not whether the artifact had been created by the people living there when it was taken.

Or do you mean that the Italians should have this mosaic returned to them, since it doesn’t belong in Turkish hands?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What are you talking about.

Do you think this tweet is implying the mosaic belongs to like Italy?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, that’s why I called it a Turkish mosaic. Astute.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But that’s incredibly stupid

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I can't believe people are falling for the classic trap of engaging with Subjunctive.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's a Roman mosaic because it was built by Romans, that doesn't seem controversial.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
The Roman Empire =/= Italy, especially since the Roman Empire still controlled Turkey long after they lost control of Italy.

And the Turks were not living in Turkey at the time this mosaic was made.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

How do you feel about “Turkish beaches”? Is Istanbul a Greek city or a Turkish one?

I thought the “true provenance” of such artifacts was generally based on where they were taken from by the British, not whether the artifact had been created by the people living there when it was taken.

Or do you mean that the Italians should have this mosaic returned to them, since it doesn’t belong in Turkish hands?

Are you trying to suggest the Romans that lived in Constantinople in ~600 AD were Italian?

Please continue to double down on this Incredible line of thinking.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Turks were not living in Turkey when Istanbul was built either, by my understanding, but if someone described Istanbul as a Greek city in Turkey I would think it a bit odd. Similarly we describe things as “Turkish beaches” when they very also likely predate the Ottoman Turks.

It can certainly be Roman and Turkish both. Emphasizing the Romans over the Turks in a tweet marvelling at its quality of construction seemed a little Western-haughty to me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People do in fact refer to the architecture in Istanbul as Roman unless the Turks built it or rebuilt it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

The issue here is that it is from what is now Turkey but at the time it was constructed, it was not

you did one of those false dicktomities

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fair point. I rescind my supposition that it was a depositioning of the Turkish in favour of the Romans. Thanks for the explanations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

The Turks were not living in Turkey when Istanbul was built either, by my understanding, but if someone described Istanbul as a Greek city in Turkey I would think it a bit odd. Similarly we describe things as “Turkish beaches” when they very also likely predate the Ottoman Turks.

It can certainly be Roman and Turkish both. Emphasizing the Romans over the Turks in a tweet marvelling at its quality of construction seemed a little Western-haughty to me.

Tell me you're thick as poo poo without saying you're thick as poo poo.

I love that you think you've come up with a killer analogy comparing a man made object and a natural one and being unable to reconcile how they are different.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Regarde Aduck posted:

The issue here is that it is from what is now Turkey but at the time it was constructed, it was not

Yeah, that’s why I brought up “Istanbul, the Turkish city” or “Turkish beaches”, both of which feel more appropriate to me than “Istanbul, the Greek city” or “Byzantine beaches”. Similarly we talk here about “Canadian historical artifacts” that predate the formation of Canada.

I see that I was generalizing inappropriately from that pattern, though. Thanks to those who showed me that!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though if you take this to its conclusion the pyramids spent like 700 years as actually Italians

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aramoro posted:

I love that you think you've come up with a killer analogy comparing a man made object and a natural one and being unable to reconcile how they are different.

Are cities not man made? (Many beaches are constructed or heavily modified too, though I don’t know how much that holds of Turkish ones, or when it would have happened relative to various entities controlling the land.)

But yes, I erred in my generalization. Clearly a very severe misstep, given the reaction!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Subjunctive posted:

this is the dumbest loving sentence I've ever seen

You heard it here folks, can't call the Italian Alps Italian because the Periadriatic Seam dates back to the mid-Burdigalian

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/NewRiverInvest/status/1454940250954821635

https://twitter.com/NickTagliaferro/status/1453830756707545096

https://twitter.com/pangenttech/status/1454590386630918148

https://twitter.com/WholesomeMeme/status/1454569973150633986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Memento posted:

this is the dumbest loving sentence I've ever seen

You heard it here folks, can't call the Italian Alps Italian because the Periadriatic Seam dates back to the mid-Burdigalian

You’re right, that is pretty dumb.

E: wait, but it’s dumb in the opposite way to what I was saying, I think? I’m saying that you can call the mosaic Turkish because it is in Turkey, just as you can call the Alps Italian because they’re in Italy. Or did I mix that up in an even dumber way?

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Nov 2, 2021