Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Envoys can die! Of old age!

I will never cease to :psyduck: at that one. It's not even an energy tax!

Out of context this post is pretty funny.

People can die! Of old age!!!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

Does that take into account the lesser con of opening the leader screen and having a scroll bar on the side because you need more scientists than other leaders combined? At least there is a mod to halve the pointlessly bloated vertical size of them.
Imagine if they were a quarter of the size so they could be in two columns. Imagine the same for science cards.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Imagine if they were a quarter of the size so they could be in two columns. Imagine the same for science cards.
That sounds so amazing I barely dare to dream.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Update on Space Zombie Venice: An unexpected perk is that having all my colonies in the same sector with a space station with a transit hub means I never ever have to bother with moving pops around for employment. Every now and then I just go through and build up a district or a building and ignore my colonies for a while and the game automoves any unemployed pops.

A problem I didn't anticipate was the whole "food and energy" thing, planetary habitats don't generate either unless the planetary body you build it on has that resource. My energy deposit is on a gas giant and gas habitats are later in the tech tree. And I wanted to make my capital a necropolis so there goes those deposits. So how did I solve this problem?

I randomly got a new species from an event. I gene modded them with traits to boost their livestock output: With some trait mods I have those livestock pops giving 0.2 alloys, 0.4 energy and 15.1 food each. I'm getting over 1k food despite having 13 clone vats. Also the alien race was named "The Fist" which I imagine is what my empire calls their xenoburgers.

I should make tributaries of my immediate neighbors so I can get some of their income, but their pops are just too useful!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Leal posted:

A problem I didn't anticipate was the whole "food and energy" thing, planetary habitats don't generate either unless the planetary body you build it on has that resource. My energy deposit is on a gas giant and gas habitats are later in the tech tree. And I wanted to make my capital a necropolis so there goes those deposits. So how did I solve this problem?

I randomly got a new species from an event. I gene modded them with traits to boost their livestock output: With some trait mods I have those livestock pops giving 0.2 alloys, 0.4 energy and 15.1 food each. I'm getting over 1k food despite having 13 clone vats. Also the alien race was named "The Fist" which I imagine is what my empire calls their xenoburgers.

If you get the Adaptability tradition as a void dweller you can use Planetary surveying on habitats instead of planets, and it will open up either mineral, energy, or science districts on that habitat as if the habitat had been built on the appropriate deposit.

It's been a while since I played with planetary habitats, but you can build an orbital habitat around a gas giant without any more technology. Or you can just take Mercantilism and use trade to solve your energy worries.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 31, 2021

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Splicer posted:

"Four chairs"

Are you mad? How would that even work?! Guards, behead this man!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Stellaris leaders would both have less busywork and have more actual gameplay implications if they were all like envoys/EU4 diplomats and just a limited pool you assign to stuff.

The only individual leaders I've literally ever been interested in or cared about were the specific ones from events or enclave interactions, and those aren't worth dealing with the rest of that subsystem.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Splicer posted:

I am in charge of recruiting scientists. In my waiting room there are three chairs, and outside my waiting room there is an infinitely long line of applicants.

I cannot advertise available positions or otherwise influence who joins the line.

I can hire and fire at will, but I cannot tell a prospect to go home and free up a chair.

Emptied chairs are filled instantly, but I cannot view the line of applicants.

One day one of my old hires contacts me. After years of study in the endless depths of deep space she has translated the teachings of a long dead alien philosopher and is begging me to use my connections to implement the Utopian society they envisioned.

I read her notes and am awestruck. In an instant my entire universe has become undone. I run to the capital and hurl myself at the feet of the emperor, only my prestige and long service to the throne staying the hands of the guards. His Greatness looks to my shaking form and bids me speak. Breathless from exertion and the enormity of what I am about to say, I gasp out the words that will change everything:

"Four chairs"

I genuinely laughed at this, good work.

Stellaris has always been a weird game. I do really enjoy playing it most of the time, but that's because I learned to live with all it's failings. I haven't bought all DLCs when they came out, but most of them. But I think in a way, the game is not salvageable. It's enjoyable, but it could be so much more. Stellaris 2 will probably be amazing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait how long has it been possible to build orbital habitats over colonies :psyboom:

This has now tripled the colonies I can fit in my starter sector

Leal fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 31, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Leal posted:

Wait how long has it been possible to build orbital habitats over colonies :psyboom:

This has now tripled the colonies I can fit in my starter sector

since habitats were added. you can even make the PD planetary habitats and then stick an orbital habitat above them as long as you do it in that order

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Roadie posted:

Stellaris leaders would both have less busywork and have more actual gameplay implications if they were all like envoys/EU4 diplomats and just a limited pool you assign to stuff.

The only individual leaders I've literally ever been interested in or cared about were the specific ones from events or enclave interactions, and those aren't worth dealing with the rest of that subsystem.

Yeah like a high council or something. Make a leader your grand admiral cost like 50 energy a month for like some fire rate increase or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I started a randomized empire game, iirc it began as fanatic authoritarian/xenophobe or fanatic xenophobe/authoritarian, whichever one makes starbases the cheapest, and I wound up pretty quickly with like 30 influence starbases so my empire got disproportionately huge in very little time. then my neighbor, who is way stronger and angrier thanks to grand admiral + no ramping + aggressive neighbors, declared a war of ideology on me. they're fanatic xenophile/egalitarian. I just instantly surrendered and so overnight everyone got +800 opinion of me and I'm friends with everyone now, with a gigantic empire to boot. :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Legit secret tech there, nice.

Also being an 'insatiable absorber' takes on a different tone when xenophile/egalitarian. "The denizens of this galaxy shall know freedom... or else"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its weird that you can't pick necrophage as a xenophile, but you can ethics shift into being a xenophile.

All empires are welcome to the slug planet. Please, come. All we request is that you don't wear a helmet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Serephina posted:

Legit secret tech there, nice.

Also being an 'insatiable absorber' takes on a different tone when xenophile/egalitarian. "The denizens of this galaxy shall know freedom... or else"
one of the first contact responses is literally "you will be friends with us, or else"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's goku diplomacy. you beat people up and then they are your friends

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you win wars faster? I solved the issue of defending my little plot of space by building tall instead of wide, but all the AI plays wide so it takes *forever* to persecute a war of vassalization.

I'm also realizing that winning space battles doesn't do much, and neither does capturing systems unless I occupy every single one. Should I be occupying a certain # of planets?

Also can I integrate vassals after a period of time like EU4?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yes you can integrate after 10 years post-vassalization. it takes a huge amount of influence and will cost you said influence over a specified period of time. I kinda wish if you had the influence on hand, you could just go BOOP DONE and integrate them immediately, since that huge influence amount is supposed to represent, well, influential power for political use.

vassalization is intended to be an all-or-nothing thing, and so you will have to conquer almost the entirety of their empire, both planets and systems, to accomplish it. if they don't want to be vassalized, you're going to have to conquer the whole drat thing to make it happen anyways. you could also try to butter them up to the point where they'd accept vassalization happily, but that can be extremely difficult or impossible depending on the empire type.

winning wars is generally a slow, methodical thing unless you've got multiple fleets and an army fleet like 4k strong that you can just steamroll over everything from multiple directions. honestly my least favorite part of wars is getting all those lovely tier 2 starbases that nuke your starbase cap and suddenly you're making -12000 energy a month until you dismantle them all

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 1, 2021

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I'm liking the Wild Space mod, actually did a bunch of the archaeology sites for once as the whole galaxy isn't gobbled up in like 5 years. However, I don't really like the kinda pastel visuals? Anyone know a way to get Wild Space but just the default look of the game?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the mod has a toggle for changing nebula appearances, can untick it for vanilla looks?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Captain Invictus posted:

yes you can integrate after 10 years post-vassalization. it takes a huge amount of influence and will cost you said influence over a specified period of time. I kinda wish if you had the influence on hand, you could just go BOOP DONE and integrate them immediately, since that huge influence amount is supposed to represent, well, influential power for political use.

vassalization is intended to be an all-or-nothing thing, and so you will have to conquer almost the entirety of their empire, both planets and systems, to accomplish it. if they don't want to be vassalized, you're going to have to conquer the whole drat thing to make it happen anyways. you could also try to butter them up to the point where they'd accept vassalization happily, but that can be extremely difficult or impossible depending on the empire type.

winning wars is generally a slow, methodical thing unless you've got multiple fleets and an army fleet like 4k strong that you can just steamroll over everything from multiple directions. honestly my least favorite part of wars is getting all those lovely tier 2 starbases that nuke your starbase cap and suddenly you're making -12000 energy a month until you dismantle them all

If you white peace a vassalization war doesn’t it turn whatever territory you’ve captured (assuming there’s a captured planet in there somewhere) into a new vassalized empire? Or am I thinking of ideology wars?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ihop posted:

If you white peace a vassalization war doesn’t it turn whatever territory you’ve captured (assuming there’s a captured planet in there somewhere) into a new vassalized empire? Or am I thinking of ideology wars?

Yeah. You can take the whole thing, or you can white peace a chunk off them in a vassalisation war if you weren't able to take the whole empire for whatever reason.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Or if you were we to take the empire entirely, but we're not able to conquer their allies before war exhaustion sets in, it splits off most of the empire as your vassal but leaves the capital as a rump state of the old empire.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

OK so I whupped the Unbidden but I'm still 7k behind an ancient race. My only chance at victory is to go to war right?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BBQ Dave posted:

OK so I whupped the Unbidden but I'm still 7k behind an ancient race. My only chance at victory is to go to war right?

have they Awakened yet? if they haven't they won't be able to rebuild any ships you destroy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that FE's rebuild any lost fleets, its just that they won't grow into new ones nor expand their territory until awakened.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that FE's rebuild any lost fleets, its just that they won't grow into new ones nor expand their territory until awakened.

i could be wrong but they always seemed to remain reduced when i would beat on them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Before they awaken they are static, any attrition is permanent.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I like necrophage

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

binge crotching posted:

Don't they awaken if you piss them off enough, though? So how can you whittle down their fleets while not awakening them?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

Don't they awaken if you piss them off enough, though? So how can you whittle down their fleets while not awakening them?

If you manage to take territory before end game start date there's usually still a decade or two after the initial war before they awaken. Or your fleet power will cause another fallen empire to awaken, just not the one you're warring with. Also, in a recent game, a federation member of mine colonized a Holy World, and every ten years I'd fight off the FE without them awakening, and they just kept losing fleet power in each war.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

binge crotching posted:

Checking the wiki, they will have events fire to replenish their fleets if at peace. So technically I suppose you could wage a forever-war or something to cheese that.

I think the practice is just to leave them alone until you can beat/trade with their standing fleets? I've not seen them awaken before the player is able to handle them solo; by the time they start checking for awakening the player is so huge that they have nothing to do but build alloys and streak into 200k fleets.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Destroying Fallen Empire fleets means you get to research their debris and take their advanced technology, which gives a very nice tech boost. And their planets tend to be very nice and loaded out with powerful buildings that can't normally be built (though they're also heavily garrisoned, so you'll need a powerful ground army to take one). Even if you can't completely defeat a Fallen Empire in one go, just surviving a fight with them can give you a significant power-up that'll leave you in a much better position to pick another fight when the truce expires.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah a Real Cool mechanic which has been in from 1.0 is that you can piss off an FE, get stomped by them but destroy some of their hulls, scan the debris, and then 10 years later when they’re still pissed at you step up to them with most of their tech on your ships.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

uber_stoat posted:

have they Awakened yet? if they haven't they won't be able to rebuild any ships you destroy.

Oh yeah, they be awakened as heck. They conquered the big hive civ to my north which sucks cuz that hive civ was cool. The jerk hive civ to the south is still being jerks, and far away from the aforementioned ancient civ.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Vizuyos posted:

Destroying Fallen Empire fleets means you get to research their debris and take their advanced technology, which gives a very nice tech boost. And their planets tend to be very nice and loaded out with powerful buildings that can't normally be built (though they're also heavily garrisoned, so you'll need a powerful ground army to take one). Even if you can't completely defeat a Fallen Empire in one go, just surviving a fight with them can give you a significant power-up that'll leave you in a much better position to pick another fight when the truce expires.
The colossus options that kills/assimilates/etc all pops without destroying buildings are awesome against FEs and their multi thousand point defensive armies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Necrophage is all fun and games until you see "Pop abducted: Robot" 40 times :shepface:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Would be cool if you could purge them for alloys like you can with Machine Intelligences I think

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PittTheElder posted:

Would be cool if you could purge them for alloys like you can with Machine Intelligences I think

ebay that poo poo :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, how do the various traditions rank these days?