Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A friend and I still quote that Rock promo to each other to this day.

"A man called Juventud?" (Pronounced "Whoov-Ven-Tude")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember playing WCW/nWo Revenge on N64 and one of my friends thought the T in his name was an F because of the font, and pronounced it "Joo-ven-fud".

So I've been calling him Joovenfud for like 20+ years now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's a reason Juventud was my name in high school Spanish class.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

because you were young

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that disregard for the IWGP titles very similar to one of the reasons TNA/Impact hosed their relationship with NJPW the first time as well? With Team 3D winning the tag belts and Impact booking them with no regard for how New Japan wanted them to?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't that disregard for the IWGP titles very similar to one of the reasons TNA/Impact hosed their relationship with NJPW the first time as well? With Team 3D winning the tag belts and Impact booking them with no regard for how New Japan wanted them to?

They switched the titles to the British Invasion and it took NJPW about a month to even recognise that it happened.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Are belts trademarked in the way that you can't show them on television without permission?

My memories of things like the Madusa incident are hazy. But really I'm just wondering if, were Bray Wyatt to show up, hell, wherever, could he do something similar to one of those nonsense Fiend belts?

(Not saying it's an especially good idea or anything, just wondering about hurdles for that sort of thing).

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm sure other posters can get into more detail, but yeah it would be a legal issue if another company's belt showed up on another show without permission.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FakePoet posted:

Are belts trademarked in the way that you can't show them on television without permission?

My memories of things like the Madusa incident are hazy. But really I'm just wondering if, were Bray Wyatt to show up, hell, wherever, could he do something similar to one of those nonsense Fiend belts?

(Not saying it's an especially good idea or anything, just wondering about hurdles for that sort of thing).

I'm sure WWE has trademarked/copyrighted the hell out of the Fiend image.

I've told the story before, but years ago Davey Boy Smith Jr loaned some of his late father's gear to WWE for a Wrestlemania Fan Access, then they refused to return it to him because they claimed they owned the trademark on his likeness (including the gear).

And the Honky Tonk Man told a story about how after he was released, WWE demanded that he turn over the sequined jumpsuits he wore, claiming that they were the WWE's property (despite HTM paying for them out of his own pocket). He sent them copies of the receipts of what he paid for them, and told them they could have them when they reimbursed him. He didn't hear from them again.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I figured as much; given said hazy memory, was there some drawn out legal battle over the Madusa thing, or was it not worth it?

I'm old enough to remember, but obviously don't. And it's happened other times, right? Didn't like...Shane Douglas have some such thing?

I understand not committing anything he did to memory, but still.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FakePoet posted:

I figured as much; given said hazy memory, was there some drawn out legal battle over the Madusa thing, or was it not worth it?

I'm old enough to remember, but obviously don't. And it's happened other times, right? Didn't like...Shane Douglas have some such thing?

The thing that kicked the whole thing off is when Ric Flair went to the WWF and took the WCW Big Gold Belt with him, and the WWF aired it on TV. WCW took them to court, and the courts ruled that the title belt was part of a promotions image.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's after WCW didn't pay back the deposit lol.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When they say the current IWGP World Heavyweight belt is "4th generation", are they counting the IGF run as one of those generations? I thought they disavowed that whole time period.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

When they say the current IWGP World Heavyweight belt is "4th generation", are they counting the IGF run as one of those generations? I thought they disavowed that whole time period.

Tanahashi won the IWGP Heavyweight title just a couple of days after Vacant won it off of Brock Lesnar, while Inoki was prancing around like a fuckwit with physical belt that Brock refused to return. While they're both IWGP Heavyweight titles, it's pretty much parallel and distinct title reigns.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FakePoet posted:

IIRC, WCW knew instantly they were hosed because they'd been on that side of the fence with the Flair thing and won, as Davros said, and now they had a weaker defense than WWF had had in '91. So when Madusa trashed the belt on Nitro, WWF sued pretty much immediately, the case was settled very quickly (so WCW probably paid them quite a bit), and Bischoff said the lawyers told him in no uncertain terms they'd crucify him if he ever tried anything similar again.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

The current World Heavyweight Belt would be the 5th generation belt, or I guess the 1st of the new one. The 4th gen belt is the one Okada is carrying around.

The "generation" is just how they refer to the title designs. There's been five different generations so far. The one that went to IGF was the third generation belt and they made the fourth gen belt to replace it when Brock absconded with it. When Brock and Angle had it, it was sometimes referred to to as the IWGP 3rd Belt title to differentiate it from the official championship being contested in NJPW, especially when Angle started defending it there in the run up to the title unification

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

FakePoet posted:

You might be thinking of Mike Awesome signing with WCW while he was ECW champion. All I know of the details is that one line Joey Styles screamed about Heyman getting a federal injunction to keep Awesome from dumpstering the title on WCW tv.

Hey... now that I think about it, I remember this vaguely, didn't something in the settlement for the Madusa belt incident help WWE acquire WCW later on? I could be mixing up two incidents.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

Hey... now that I think about it, I remember this vaguely, didn't something in the settlement for the Madusa belt incident help WWE acquire WCW later on? I could be mixing up two incidents.

I think that was in the settlement over whether Scott Hall and Kevin Nash were too close to their WWF characters or not.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think that was in the settlement over whether Scott Hall and Kevin Nash were too close to their WWF characters or not.
Pretty sure it was all the same lawsuit.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Yeah, IIRC when Scott first got on the mic in WCWf upon his return he was still doing his Razer Ramon/Tony Montana accent.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm not sure the Madusa belt thing ever went to court.

There's this 1997 lawsuit where WWF accuses WCW of using their IP (i.e. Razor Ramon and Diesel).

And this other 1997 lawsuit where WWF accuses WCW of being IN CAHOOTS over his 900 hotline or something?

And in 1999 WCW sued WWF for the Nacho Man and the Huckster in response to the previous case, I guess?

And as a bonus, WWF suing BIG DOGS over their Bone Cold Steve Pawstin and The Rock-weiler shirts

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

This is precious :allears:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Motherfucker should've been indicted for the Ring Boys scandal too, along with the rest of the loving pederasts he enabled.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
If I'm a promoter and I get someone else's worker who still has the belt then I put them on and they say "This is the championship from the place I used to work and I'm going to put it straight in the... trophy case so I can preserve the important memories and legacy this title has for me" and there's a garbage can there but they carry it past the can and put it in the display space

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

El Generico posted:

If I'm a promoter and I get someone else's worker who still has the belt then I put them on and they say "This is the championship from the place I used to work and I'm going to put it straight in the... trophy case so I can preserve the important memories and legacy this title has for me" and there's a garbage can there but they carry it past the can and put it in the display space

And then you and Ted Lasso go play darts.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For me them being willing to do that is a massive red flag. I don't doubt Madusa was treated poorly, but my problem is "What if she perceives our treatment as poor? Will she do the same to us?".

It didn't exactly work out for her, either. WCW treated her like poo poo.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Was there anything further on the Ricardo Rodriquez SpeakingOut accusations detailed here?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Silly Burrito posted:

And then you and Ted Lasso go play darts.

Please. Who did Ted Lasso ever beat?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

CobiWann posted:

Please. Who did Ted Lasso ever beat?

That would be a dark turn for season 3.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Has Kyle O'Reilly ever talked about his experience wrestling with type 1 diabetes or are there any stories? Genuinely curious how he manages it during grueling matches, what his routine is, etc.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the deal with Justin Roberts and his "North Carolina" schtick when introducing Kenny Omega? I feel like I definitely missed something.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theyre doing a michael jordan parody bit but roberts does it terribly and it has never landed once

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the deal with Justin Roberts and his "North Carolina" schtick when introducing Kenny Omega? I feel like I definitely missed something.

He’s the Michael Jordan of wrestling. Jordan is from North Carolina

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

what is the origin of budge

i wasn't going to bother to ask but it seems like budge is a thing that is going to stick around a while

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Stealth Tiger posted:

what is the origin of budge

i wasn't going to bother to ask but it seems like budge is a thing that is going to stick around a while

From the new AEW thread:

Jerusalem posted:

There's been a running skit on the Being the Elite Youtube show that Silver and Reynolds are making terrible suggestions to Adam Cole about needing to change his name, get a haircut, be a manager because he can't wrestle etc (these were all the genuine ideas that Bruce Pritchard had for Cole if he went to the main roster in WWE), and the name they recommended was Budge.

You'd assume it would have only a small niche audience given it was on a Youtube show, but when they had their first big multi-man match and Silver stopped to do the BOOM! pose, enough of the crowd automatically went,"BUDGE!" that others picked up on it and now they all just do it naturally. It rules.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
This may be a silly question, and I definitely feel like it was asked before, but here we go again. Tonight, when thinking about who might replace Mox in the title eliminator tournament, I had the thought "You could put literally anyone up against Dragon and it's going to be watchable." I think it's widely accepted that a lot of dudes have had either above average or the best match of their careers v. Danielson, but I want to know- who's had the worst match with Danielson? Or is there anyone who's just not matched up with Bryan?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lazy like a Fox posted:

This may be a silly question, and I definitely feel like it was asked before, but here we go again. Tonight, when thinking about who might replace Mox in the title eliminator tournament, I had the thought "You could put literally anyone up against Dragon and it's going to be watchable." I think it's widely accepted that a lot of dudes have had either above average or the best match of their careers v. Danielson, but I want to know- who's had the worst match with Danielson? Or is there anyone who's just not matched up with Bryan?

they made him wrestle Big Cass like 4 times in WWE and every match sucked unbelievably bad

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bryan's first series of matches in competition-era NXT were under 2 minutes long and usually had him losing to guys like Michael Tarver and David Otunga. It was his "punishment" for the crime of daring to have indie hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
His first match was a competitive loss against Batista and then he started to lose against the other “rookies”. I’ve no idea if this was meant to tie in to the nexus stuff that came later or was another plot point that got dropped along the way. Getting fired after the nexus debut presumably changed the original plans they had for him.

https://youtu.be/J_cUUnEhuPo