Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished Act 2 veteran tonight. The final level on the second to last checkpoint was a real bitch (attaching the cargo boxes to the helicopters) although we nailed it on our last try. Took us a few nights to get through it. The final checkpoint group was a cakewalk by comparison and we got it on our first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's really funny watching streamers playing this scramble to turn off the sound whenever the bar level comes up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Music copyright law is ancient, stupid and deserves to die, tbh.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't even think it's illegal. Just easier for Twitch to put in rules to make it not even a question.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh, absolutely, I just can't think of any other games where the issue has been this blatant. Maybe the GTA radio channels.

Edit: Honestly, game companies having to send out warnings for potentially "dangerous" areas to streamers because of background music is almost farcical.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 1, 2021

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I haven't looked into it since i don't really like to watch streamers, but this doesn't have a "streamer mode" like a lot of games with licensed music?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Streamer mode still stuck in the active queue

Active Cards in their queue look promising for some other stuff

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 1, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Kinda hope streamer mode is just a dev aggressively humming the song.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

None of those appear to address the issue of the completely busted quickplay, unless that's the vague "matchmaking stability"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

dogstile posted:

Kinda hope streamer mode is just a dev aggressively humming the song.
This could be a dev's garage band's big shot!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Realonlineboy already did ace of spades and they could also use his dragula cover

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 1, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I stopped playing... 15 days ago or so, I decided to wait a bit until they patch it a bit and play other games meanwhile.

But they haven't released any update in this time, right?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've been surprised that they haven't patched, but I imagine they're trying to fit a bunch of fixes into one big patch rather than doing the console validation dance multiple times. I think the only things they've quickly changed are server-side stuff.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

odiv posted:

This could be a dev's garage band's big shot!

Until they make it big and then issue their own take down notices

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The only time I've ever wanted to kick people is when they take forever to load in and we have to wait til the timer has hit 0 before we can hit the store.
Even if someone is terrible I wouldn't kick them as they are at least trying, and I'm more about playing than winning but AFK people who don't even have the decency to say "gimme 2 mins" irk me. When you're waiting for some rear end in a top hat for the amount of time it takes to do half a map, that's rude.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it is the strangest loving design decision in the world to insist on waiting for the countdown to end before you can use the store.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be fine if I could at least look at the store and start the thinking process

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

NonzeroCircle posted:

The only time I've ever wanted to kick people is when they take forever to load in and we have to wait til the timer has hit 0 before we can hit the store.
Even if someone is terrible I wouldn't kick them as they are at least trying, and I'm more about playing than winning but AFK people who don't even have the decency to say "gimme 2 mins" irk me. When you're waiting for some rear end in a top hat for the amount of time it takes to do half a map, that's rude.

I would agree but after three attempts at having a pubby in our squad and watching them trigger every, single, loving, alarm i'm pretty happy just giving people the boot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

moist turtleneck posted:

I'd be fine if I could at least look at the store and start the thinking process

Right!?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Not only can you not use the store before everyone loads in, nothing at all loads. No weapons or medboxes (if any) and you can watch the zombies spawn outside if you’re looking.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Oh, absolutely, I just can't think of any other games where the issue has been this blatant. Maybe the GTA radio channels.

Edit: Honestly, game companies having to send out warnings for potentially "dangerous" areas to streamers because of background music is almost farcical.

Iirc goonstation for Space Station 13 neutered the sax that would play some audio clips from songs so streamers wont get in trouble.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CoolCab posted:

it is the strangest loving design decision in the world to insist on waiting for the countdown to end before you can use the store.

Yeah it's weird. makes me wonder if at some point the items in the store were finite.

Really it probably has something to do with the items and med box not spawning until everyone is in so they just blocked the store too.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Presumably they just wait to spawn anything until they know cards are locked in. Even if there aren't cards currently that change the shop, that doesn't mean they don't want the design space.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A card that lets you do one reroll on the store would be amazing.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Not only can you not use the store before everyone loads in, nothing at all loads. No weapons or medboxes (if any) and you can watch the zombies spawn outside if you’re looking.

Yeah it shifts to an entirely different world state, poo poo's weird

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've invented a new weapon. This is most likely an in-progress join bug.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The endless reeker horde in act 3 can gently caress right off

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

The endless reeker horde in act 3 can gently caress right off

Talking mad poo poo for someone in puking distance*

*You're always in puking distance

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Leal posted:

Talking mad poo poo for someone in puking distance*

*You're always in puking distance

One of my favorite things to see ingame is just how wild the Reeker trickshots can get.
And I will happily take Reeker hordes instead of the loving 69 Hockers that spawn in while you're trying to scramble to kill the Ogres

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I heavily disagree, i'll happily take a hocker shot rather than the puke maze that appears sometimes.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The puke is annoying as gently caress, but not nearly as annoying as being bound once every 10 seconds, since no one can ever find and kill the loving thing until it's tagged each person on the team in rotation.
Even better when the director sees fit to spawn 2 at the same time, and then throw in some other special gently caress to make it interesting

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The puke is annoying as gently caress, but not nearly as annoying as being bound once every 10 seconds, since no one can ever find and kill the loving thing until it's tagged each person on the team in rotation.
Even better when the director sees fit to spawn 2 at the same time, and then throw in some other special gently caress to make it interesting

Last night we were getting close to finishing the Act 3 "T-5" mission (which can be pretty hard under the best circumstances). As we were running the final boxes to the truck bed, we got locked down by two crushers and two hockers, none of which had been seen/spawned when we started the last trip out.

The mission went from "we're perfectly okay" to "welp, we're hosed, let's quit and play something else" within about three seconds.

But hey, then we tried playing Dauntless again, and that was kind of a blast. Maybe by the time we come back to B4B they'll have finally patched it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I find the directional audio for them is pretty good, so they only really get off one shot with my group and then everyone just beams the thing. It's when it decides to spawn shittons of incap specials that is really lovely, it shouldn't do that.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah it's real fun when 4 people are trying to nail the location of 2 Hockers, everyone yelling some version of "THAT JUMPY SPIDER gently caress IS OVER HERE"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yesterday we just had 6 tallboy types spawn nearly at the same time (on veteran). Sometimes the game just does decide your run is done :/

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
As someone who defended this game during the beta, I'm genuinely dismayed we are 3 weeks from release with no patch no sight.

This game really is death by a thousand cuts right now: a solid game bogged down by dozens of confusing design choices, bugs, and difficulty balancing issues, all causing my desire to keep playing to just bleed out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have a friend who was super jazzed to play this and after a few sessions has very firmly decided to put all his time into Cookie Clicker instead.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Bodacious posted:

As someone who defended this game during the beta, I'm genuinely dismayed we are 3 weeks from release with no patch no sight.

This game really is death by a thousand cuts right now: a solid game bogged down by dozens of confusing design choices, bugs, and difficulty balancing issues, all causing my desire to keep playing to just bleed out.

I learned just yesterday that the special spawns were apparently patched to be lower, but it sure doesn't feel any loving different than before.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think they have made some tweaks server side, but I wouldn't put much stock in it. Whether or not the specials are nbd or completely unmanageable seems to be mostly a matter or luck. I would describe some levels as easy or borderline impossible depending on how the coin flipped for that run. I think they really need to work on consistency, because it still can be really cheap and stupid at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

veni veni veni posted:

I think they have made some tweaks server side, but I wouldn't put much stock in it. Whether or not the specials are nbd or completely unmanageable seems to be mostly a matter or luck. I would describe some levels as easy or borderline impossible depending on how the coin flipped for that run. I think they really need to work on consistency, because it still can be really cheap and stupid at times.

Absolutely this.

The difficulty is all over the place. I hate to keep bringing up Deep Rock Galactic, but it's a co-op shooter with similarly randomized enemy spawns. While DRG will occasionally create an extra-dire situation, it never feels like the norm. And even those can often be salvaged if the team stays cool and works together.

Maybe that's the piece that B4B is missing for me -- when things go to poo poo, we usually just wipe, and it feels frustrating and unavoidable. In DRG, someone usually has the chance to be the hero. I have so many crazy stories from that game; times that we saved a terrible situation, and times when we went down fighting -- and laughing.

I don't think B4B is unsalvageable. The shooting feels great, most of the levels are well-designed, and there are a ton of interesting play styles built-in. But I feel like the difficulty levels and spawning system need a massive overhaul -- not just incremental tweaks.