Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Saw it in the theater yesterday. Took a look at it on HBO Max just now and lol my local theater needs to upgrade their poo poo, it looks so much better on my TV. Probably gonna rewatch it with my wife, that’s what she got this trial for after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Imagined posted:

It's funny that someone said she isn't a Vulcan, because for one thing :goonsay: Vulcans are not emotionless. They experience extreme emotions, but control them. A good cinematic model of someone with intense discipline barely controlling themselves would be the episode of TNG where Sarek the Vulcan ambassador is experiencing Bendii Syndrome and struggling to contain his emotions.

Another good example of this is in the 2021 film adaptation of Frank Herbert's novel Dune, in a scene where the character Jessica is extremely agitated but uses her training and Bene Gesserit techniques to bring her emotions under control.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm glad to hear my subjective opinion is objectively wrong.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

The Bloop posted:

I wish I could give a post a wedgie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

Your opinion is about an objective thing . We all saw the movie

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hey you know what's a moment where Rebecca Ferguson does that thing? The line near the end "Paul has never killed a man". The subtlety and depth of emotion that's conveyed with that line is incredible and she is a good actor.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there is no yielding in the Posting rule, only death is the test of it!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Was it Lucas who got outed as telling the actors to do it again but emote less?

I have this vague memory of it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In some of the politics scenes yes, for effect

Lots of directors tho do multiple takes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

In some of the politics scenes yes, for effect

Lots of directors tho do multiple takes

Sure but they usually don't say once more, without feeling

I'm just saying it stuck in my mind as a bad decision

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Bloop posted:

That was a big thing in star trek voyager. The actors were constantly told to act less, not to emote so that the over-acting zany alien characters can stand out more.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like you have it the wrong way around, there's a minor george lucas meme that his direction just consisted of telling the actors to do it "faster and more intense"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Regardless just because he told a actor to do it doesn’t mean he used that take
And space liberals were supposed to be emotionless !

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

That was a big thing in star trek voyager. The actors were constantly told to act less, not to emote so that the over-acting zany alien characters can stand out more.

That's what it was!

Be more like chakotay, an acting note given to no one ever

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Bloop posted:

"outed" is the wrong way to put it, it's not like anyone was hiding it, but the anecdote you're probably remembering is Lucas' direction to Mark Hamill when he sees his homestead burned and his aunt and uncle dead. Hamill assumed Luke would have a dramatic reaction - fall to his knees, yell, weep, etc. Lucas instead had him play it way more subtle, so the audience could project their own feelings on to his reaction shot. Hamill still does a lot with his expression and eyes, I never thought it was a scene that needed a big reaction or felt lacking. Mostly he just seems stunned, like most people probably would be.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
zut alors!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No, it was the voyager thing

It may be a compound memory of several nerdy things mashed together honestly

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"Look like you're adjusting your internal metabolism to counteract your emotional reaction! More! MORE!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Needed some CSI zoom in x-ray scenes of her medulla oblongata and hypothalamus doing the krebs cycle

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

zut alors!

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean her water of life scene better be exactly that

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Reminder that water of life ceremonies involve drinking worm vomit, digesting it until it’s safe using magic woo powers, and then vomiting that up so all your buddies can drink some too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's woo but explicitly not magic

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hey, can any of the Dune game fans in thread tell me anything about this thing

As far as I can tell this is a Syfy miniseries tie-in game with Spawn in it?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Any sufficiently advanced :catdrugs: are indistinguishable from magic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcrcQetM62E

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

skasion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcrcQetM62E

really captures the mood and setting of Frank Herbert's science fiction masterpiece 'Dune'.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wow, they even got Hans Zimmer to do the music!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

skasion posted:

Yes and yes. It is unfinished garbage.

It also misspells Frank Herbert's name right in the main menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GBUW2Jw6LQ

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

"Jank Herbert" ?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

It was good to have someone give a recognizably human, emotional performance in the movie full of space weirdos. It fell to a woman so the usual Skylar arguments are going to have to play out

T H A N K Y O U

these comments about Jessica's characterization/Ferguson's performance are driving me nuts

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Imagined posted:

Now you're getting it!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I just need this movie to be ooooooouuuuuuut in Australia.
Come on, we're even out of the Bad Drought now, so the desert scenes won't be unnecessarily traumatic.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

What was the biggest lol of the movie to you?

For me the scenes with Sardaukar deus ex machina entries.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

kalel posted:

T H A N K Y O U

these comments about Jessica's characterization/Ferguson's performance are driving me nuts

What confuses the poo poo outta me are the people saying she's a poo poo bene gesserit for showing emotions when we're seeing her break down in her private moments. When she's sobbing in the hallway all red-faced and puffy, she opens the door and enters the room with no trace of her breakdown visible. Like others have said, the bene gesserit are not emotionless, and they can even fall prey to their emotions. They are masters of observation, manipulation, and control, but they are still human and subject to emotions. Reverend Mother Mohiam definitely did not seem emotionless, but noone seems to be calling her a poo poo bene gesserit. :shrug:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just wanted to note that i thought it was cool that they depicted specialized shield piercing munitions during the Harkonnen attack and you can see the shells piercing the shields, exploding within and being contained in the shield before then erupting when the shield generator fails. details!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

Yes and yes. It is unfinished garbage.

It also misspells Frank Herbert's name right in the main menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GBUW2Jw6LQ

somewhere in another universe there's a Franck Herbert who loving loves writing about robots

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

For me the scenes with Sardaukar deus ex machina entries.

Stilgar was pretty funny

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Paul trying to spare Jamis and everyone hissing. Lmao you do not spare jamis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

pnumoman posted:

What confuses the poo poo outta me are the people saying she's a poo poo bene gesserit for showing emotions when we're seeing her break down in her private moments. When she's sobbing in the hallway all red-faced and puffy, she opens the door and enters the room with no trace of her breakdown visible. Like others have said, the bene gesserit are not emotionless, and they can even fall prey to their emotions. They are masters of observation, manipulation, and control, but they are still human and subject to emotions. Reverend Mother Mohiam definitely did not seem emotionless, but noone seems to be calling her a poo poo bene gesserit. :shrug:

Especially given that its kind of a major point that she had fallen in love with Leto and went against the order already, so its not like she's completely emotionless to begin with