Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I play games to chill and vibe not constantly spike my blood pressure :smug:

Dr. Video Games 0135 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if cheating makes a game more fun for you, turn em on and go wild

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Lol imagine being so unaccomplished in life that other people cheating in a single player game bothers you that much

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Lol imagine being so unaccomplished in life that other people cheating in a single player game bothers you that much

Lol imagine thinking accomplishes in life are any different then video game accomplishments. Absolutely pathetic. Sorry loser that nothing you have done ever has ranked anywhere near me beating the first boss of the game gear Sonic the Hedgehog. Like I get it the only way you can live with yourself is if you say "WELL VIDEO GAMES DON'T COUNT!" and that's very sad.

The Riftbreaker is a better ARPG than Path of Exile, Diablo 2 and 3.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 1, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I love it when amid a scheduled videogame slapfight somebody comes in like "It's okay if people enjoy different things" like they just came down from a mountain with that knowledge.

It's clearly not okay. It never is.

That's the true balance.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think you vastly underestimate how fun sekiro is to batter through care free but just to help you get where im coming from its about 10 times more fun than the out the box version

cheating in games is fun
i remember the good old days looking up cheatcodes online so i could play with big head mode and infinite rocket launchers

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Cheating at Sekiro and thinking it’s fun is totally fine, video games are best when enjoyed, but I’m still allowed to goof on you for it.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cheating at video games, much like taking steroids, is only bad if you are competing at something.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I HATE CHEATERS (at videogames) SO loving MUCH GUYS

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Cheating is fine, some games have them naturally built in (Like ol' Goldeneye,) but cheating at multiplayer games is bad, if you cheat in multiplayer then you deserve a game or platform ban because you're just ruining the fun for everyone else you horrible person you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
cheating in multiplayer games is fine as long as you're doing it in a funny way and it's not an uber high-stakes competitive mode

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cheating is fine if you have the consent of the dev

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have been playing Subnautica and it is a consistently beautiful game that keeps doling out new surprises, great fun so far

But I still sometimes get annoyed by the "gather, build incrementally, repeat" loop that basically all survival games come with. I feel like I would be having a bit more fun if I had much more inventory space (but I don't think that it's a big enough deal for me to actually seek out a mod). And I feel like near-infinite inventory would be appropriate for this setting, "a space compression module lets your backpack store up to 1000 kg of contents. WARNING: Serious injury or death may result from attempting to place a compression container inside another compression container."

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Unpopular opinion since it's an open world Ubisoft game on their terrible online platform:

Rider's Republic is insanely fun and good

QuarkJets posted:

I have been playing Subnautica and it is a consistently beautiful game that keeps doling out new surprises, great fun so far

But I still sometimes get annoyed by the "gather, build incrementally, repeat" loop that basically all survival games come with. I feel like I would be having a bit more fun if I had much more inventory space (but I don't think that it's a big enough deal for me to actually seek out a mod).

I agree. Better to play the mode that at least makes it so you don't have to do boring rear end poo poo like eat and drink to keep two meters up. Helps a little

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

with my GameShark I got extra multiplayer levels on goldeneye so rly, cheating turned this house into a home

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

meat police posted:

with my GameShark I got extra multiplayer levels on goldeneye so rly, cheating turned this house into a home

Perfect Dark. Enemy accuracy 10%. Wrist laser, secondary mode. Gameshark the wall blood textures to be huuge. Now you have ultra gory jedi lightsaber mode. Slicing away their weapon and chasing them while they beg for mercy, then plunging your lightsaber in their chest while they spasm and seizure and paint the entire room in glorious crimson. Yes.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
its kinda different, but I love breaking games. If I start a new character in Morrowind within an hour or two I'm a levitating ultrawizard that can blow up an entire daedric shrine with one spell.

just play the games how it's fun for you. mobbing through guys on easy mode is fun sometimes. but dont cheat in multiplayer, that makes you a tiny dick jerk.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

loving CHEATERS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

just play the games how it's fun for you. mobbing through guys on easy mode is fun sometimes. but dont cheat in multiplayer, that makes you a tiny dick jerk.

Basically this.

I fired up Battlefield V on PC for the first time ever thanks to gamepass and all three matches I was in was just cheater city with a single guy with 60+ kills and headshotting across the map and through terrain. How is this in anyway fun for you for more than a few minutes?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Barudak posted:

Basically this.

I fired up Battlefield V on PC for the first time ever thanks to gamepass and all three matches I was in was just cheater city with a single guy with 60+ kills and headshotting across the map and through terrain. How is this in anyway fun for you for more than a few minutes?

because the rest of your life sucks

they ruined counterstrike last I played it too

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
cheating is fine as long as you recognize you're selling out an experience for instant gratification, if you judge for yourself that experience was not going to be worth the time or effort cheat away.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
playing videogames is selling out an experience for instant gratification
pressing the "pass ball" button in madden is a cheap, weak-minded alternative to learning to throw a pass for real

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

playing videogames is selling out an experience for instant gratification
pressing the "pass ball" button in madden is a cheap, weak-minded alternative to learning to throw a pass for real

That’s why I don’t play lame rear end sports games and will never understand people that do. I want my games to be about stuff real life can’t replicate, like being a rad wizard or throwing turtle shells from a go kart being shot out of a cannon into a flying boat.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Sports games like Madden are ‘grown man’ games - haven’t you heard?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

cheating is fine, but dunking on people for cheating is also fine

cheating at sekiro is funny because learning the bosses is like 80% of the actual game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Caesar Saladin posted:

cheating at sekiro is funny because learning the bosses is like 80% of the actual game.

Dang this entire post is totally correct. A rare post.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't have time to learn, I have achievements to get.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you think cheats ruin games then you must despise any sort of mod, including ones that just fix base gameplay fuckups. It ruins the game experience :v:

Sometimes games are good stock and I find that mods make it worse. Sometimes it's the opposite. Sometimes I love a game but the decision that you can only have two spare magazines for a pistol is stupid and dumb and you better believe I'll cheat and make the game better for it.

My unpopular opinion is that if you need to cheat or mod a game but it turns into something you love you should just do it and be okay with that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

mods are also useful for adding furry anime boobs to games

in fact that is probably 95% of their actual use

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Welp i "finished" sekiro in 2 nights over about 4 or 5 hours, i think ill go back and play it legit now that i understand the games scope and feel a bit more comfortable with the games mechanics.

I'm partly annoyed at myself since i was much closer to the end than i thought but then i also watched the start of a 4 hour long 100% speedrun and it made anyone who consideres the game beaten when you empty the final bosse life seem a bit full of poo poo lol

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I played through the Mechanicus 40k X-Com game with 5x experience on and it made the whole thing so much better.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Maybe I want to stab people in the face without learning economies or pausing to click the thing and another thing to make a thing so i can then click on that thing and that will make my face stabbing 8% more effective for 27 seconds.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Oldschool mechjeb was a cool cheatmod, because it let me fix big fuckups I made during launch and transfer so I could figure out landing stuff.

Then I'd retool the whole mission a bit as far as maybe balance and timelines and then run it without mechjeb.

That was a really, really long time ago though, when KSP was a goofy sim.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I would have never finished Baulder’s Gate 2 if I didn’t discover the startup menu to alter difficulty.

Monk class best class when you don’t have to give a poo poo about resting and spells.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I used a cheat in Baldur's gate 2 to let me teleport around the map with like, ctrl J because it took too long to make my little mans run around

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The Gamer Code forbids cheating of any kind.

Sorry, cheaters :colbert:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm partly annoyed at myself since i was much closer to the end than i thought but then i also watched the start of a 4 hour long 100% speedrun and it made anyone who consideres the game beaten when you empty the final bosse life seem a bit full of poo poo lol

There is a thing that makes the fight you stopped at easier (though it‘s still a challenge) Snap Seeds…maybe the firecrackers also work, never checked

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Caesar Saladin posted:

I used a cheat in Baldur's gate 2 to let me teleport around the map with like, ctrl J because it took too long to make my little mans run around

That's something I always hated about those old time RPGs. The movement was so clucky.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Any game that is built around, or expects, tedious pre-buffing before each encounter can suck my loving dick. There had better be a “quick buff” button if they have buffs at all.

Buffs should be either extremely short, like 15s max, or a passive aura given by virtue of being with them, or a full action that you have to measure in an action economy, or any buffs that can’t be changed in combat

Good: combat-only buff that you need to spend a turn casting

Good: combat-only buff that is instant-cast and doesn’t last very long

Good: passive aura that paladins or whatever just emit to their party members

Bad: 3-minute duration, can be cast before a fight— then you just stack up as much as you can of these, making fights secondary to prepwork

Bad: 60-minute buffs of any stripe (exception: buffs applied by an event or a town thing in a game where you run around adventuring. Like a “well-rested” buff for an hour after you wake up in a 24-hour cycle)

Bad: food buffs, for example eating Angry Bacon gives you +2 damage for 480s. gently caress off.

Good: drugs. And also in games, drugs that give you a quick fleeting buff, especially if they have a longer term malus (like addiction or a reduced defense)

Good: stances that are mutually exclusive and are balanced around taking something away and giving you something in return (or just buffing I guess): up defense/down attack, down defense/up attack, that you flip on and off at will.

Bad: stances that aren’t changeable in combat

Bad: buffs you can only apply outside of combat but are just normal buffs. Like you can only cast “protect” outside of combat. This is just a penalty for not doing prepwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dotq 2 follows your buff ruleset almost to the letter