Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

It really, genuinely does bother me that the show would ever try and take that away. Not just because William Hartnell was the first actor, obviously, or that it reeks of a writer desperately trying to stamp their personal mark on the show forever (which will of course be discarded by the next writer regardless, have comic books taught these people nothing!?!), but because the 1st Doctor was an rear end in a top hat when he first appeared. I think it's gigantically important that the Doctor learned to be a better, more "human" person because unlike his people he exposed himself to outside ideas and philosophies, and he grew as a person thanks to his personal experiences with human beings and other "lesser" species and came to reject supremacism and prejudice and eventually become somebody who fought with everything they had to protect people and reject cruelty and malice.

Turning that into,"There were a million billion Doctors before Hartnell and they were all naturally committed idealists!" is just... ugh. UGH!

Yeah, this is the big thing. You could easily rationalize the Doctor having several lives or even a whole regeneration cycle pre-Hartnell, but that person can't be The Doctor. They're just Factory Worker Narness or Civil Servant Halumphoid or whoever. I do think there's hay to be made about just why the Doctor left Gallifrey in the first place (what exactly went down with the Hand of Omega?) but that either has to be a Hartnell or immediately pre-Hartnell Doctor, it can't be Jo Martin (though they should just make her the next Doctor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Hartnell being the first one to be The Doctor, to choose that name and make the first rough efforts to be better than they were before, keeps the past lives while also preserving our precious Doctors. Maybe the person currently known as the Doctor was also once the Valeyard :p

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Those first five minutes...

Oh boy they had me really worried that it was going to be poo poo, but after that I really enjoyed it! I really liked the new companion too. The chemistry between Yaz and the doctor seemed to be missing, but in truth, was probably never really there to begin with. Yaz had better chemistry with the old companions and that's probably the way it should be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The production and FX seemed to be really improved but Impact Font? Really, BBC?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SiKboy posted:

It does if she now fights him for thousands of years, leading to her beating him then regenerating at the end of the season! For the record, I dont think this would be a good or satisfying ending, its just my prediction for what they're going to do.

Jodie has 3 more specials next year before she bows out and regenerates.

They really need to hire new sound people - the music and audio effects were all WAY too loud. I spent the whole episode constantly adjusting the volume on my TV.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I think this is the most I've enjoyed Chibnall's run on the show. I like the idea of a season where a bunch of episodes are seemingly happening at once throughout time.
It makes things exciting but that might just be the more frenetic pacing. We'll see!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gotta give them points for lookin' fly in those outfits though

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
There was a lot going on in that episode. Wondering why Yaz is essentially being shut out and not told things.
They also REALLY want us to like Dan. The charity work, the love for his community, the altruism. They went too hard with the schmaltz with him. Ugh.
Oh and that odd interaction with Clare and they fob her off. At least ask the cliffnotes so you can stay one step ahead!
Finally. That guy in the outpost, I was hoping it was the captain back from The Satan Pit but oh well.
I honestly don’t know what to expect. I just don’t want it all to be poo poo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A lot of the setup was pretty interesting, but I found that the stakes being so ridiculously, unfathomably large immediately kinda makes it hard to get invested in the main plot as we currently know it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, this is the big thing. You could easily rationalize the Doctor having several lives or even a whole regeneration cycle pre-Hartnell, but that person can't be The Doctor. They're just Factory Worker Narness or Civil Servant Halumphoid or whoever. I do think there's hay to be made about just why the Doctor left Gallifrey in the first place (what exactly went down with the Hand of Omega?) but that either has to be a Hartnell or immediately pre-Hartnell Doctor, it can't be Jo Martin (though they should just make her the next Doctor).

You might even go so far as to say that a pre-Hartnell character would have to be some Other guy...

Lotus Aura posted:

A lot of the setup was pretty interesting, but I found that the stakes being so ridiculously, unfathomably large immediately kinda makes it hard to get invested in the main plot as we currently know it.

Yeah, I find this to be true. It's supposed to be such incredibly high stakes because The Entire Universe And All Of Creation Is At Stake Again, but it just feels like "eh, we know the Doctor's going to fix it." Maybe if it was a ship or city or planet at stake, there'd be a chance of failing, but there's no way the Doctor's going to fail and have everything wiped out.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
One big issue I had was the “shield Earth” plan. I don’t think Chibnall gets how big space is. With 7 billion ships and assuming a high Earth orbit, each ship has to be about 150 miles long to encompass the Earth. If we assume a low Earth orbit, that number drops to each ship being 792 feet long, which is plausible. OTOH, there may be enough orbital debris at that level to cause problems.

The bigger issue is, of course, the idea that each of this aliens is pair bonded to a single human life. Over 100 people die per minute, while maybe 250 people are born every minute. That seems like a problem. And one wonders where this fleet was when other events menaced the Earth.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh poo poo apparently there was a new episode of Doctor Who a couple days ago? Me just finding out doesn't really say good things about how engaged I am with the programme under Chibnall. I guess I will watch it later.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Narsham posted:

One big issue I had was the “shield Earth” plan. I don’t think Chibnall gets how big space is. With 7 billion ships and assuming a high Earth orbit, each ship has to be about 150 miles long to encompass the Earth. If we assume a low Earth orbit, that number drops to each ship being 792 feet long, which is plausible. OTOH, there may be enough orbital debris at that level to cause problems.

The bigger issue is, of course, the idea that each of this aliens is pair bonded to a single human life. Over 100 people die per minute, while maybe 250 people are born every minute. That seems like a problem. And one wonders where this fleet was when other events menaced the Earth.

The problem I had with it is that if the flux causes matter to just break down on a subatomic level as described because the fundamental laws of physics turn off, you won't be able to use matter or energy to stop it. I'm pretty certain that the sh ips are made of matter and energy.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Why can't they just build the universe out of the doggy ships

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Also the space station bring called Rose made me roll my eyes instinctively because come on man, all the words in all the languages and you pick that one?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Flight Bisque posted:

Also the space station bring called Rose made me roll my eyes instinctively because come on man, all the words in all the languages and you pick that one?

At least it looked like a rose so it had a fun design. I initially had similar thoughts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there are like ten oak streets in your town alone and there are millions of space stations named rose

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Flight Bisque posted:

Obviously the station was set up by the Doctor to watch for the Flux. The only question is whether she hasn’t done it yet.

The twist will be if it does turn out to be a coincidence.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

These are peak modern Doctor Who designs imho. Simultaneously almost high-budget enough to feel like they belong in a more respectable sci-fi show, and cheap enough that they feel like they belong in Power Rangers.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't get that they were supposed to be sugar skulls until that picture. Halloween baby!

There were some things to like in that episode, but none of it plot related. The actor playing Dan did a good job, the new Sontaran design was nice, and I'm sure there was at least a third good thing too!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Khanstant posted:

there are like ten oak streets in your town alone and there are millions of space stations named rose

None of those were named by Chris Chibnall for an episode of Doctor Who though.

Probably.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Vinylshadow posted:

Ahhh gently caress, the camp arrives

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Enjoyed that episode and cautiously looking forward to the next one and really liked John Bishop as Dan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I... didn't hate that? But I think that's because there were so many threads running simultaneously, it felt like 4 different episodes playing at once.

The Division stuff again smacks of the Celestial Intervention Agency, which I assume ultra-spod Chibnall will mention at some point.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
As a filthy American, the whole Liverpool and Yorkshire thing went over my head.

Dan feels like its a little too try hard but I do like his, what the hell is going on energy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm still trying to decide if i liked this. It was pretty busy, with a lot of stuff that seems pointless in this episode, but will probably come back in later episodes. It was enough for me to want to watch the next episode.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mooseontheloose posted:

As a filthy American, the whole Liverpool and Yorkshire thing went over my head.
think the narcism of small differences

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Dan feels like its a little too try hard but I do like his, what the hell is going on energy.

Maybe they were trying to shove a lot of character building into one episode since he won’t be around long?

I love the Day of the Dead style skulls

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Vinylshadow posted:

Getting some strong Doomlord vibes from those two!

I like Dan, we've not had a Companion just forced into the role in the revival yet, he didn't choose to travel with The Doctor, but he's stuck now, it's very Ian and Barbara!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Or very Ace, if this really is a Fenris sort of deal.

I'm not even very clear on why they were chasing that one dog in the first place when there were seven billion of them with the same destination and purpose

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

BooDooBoo posted:

Getting some strong Doomlord vibes from those two!

I like Dan, we've not had a Companion just forced into the role in the revival yet, he didn't choose to travel with The Doctor, but he's stuck now, it's very Ian and Barbara!

Eagles Doomlord was the loving poo poo to 9yr old me back in 81. The first two incarnations of Doomlord were evil and tried to destroy earth. The third was good and became earths protector and even had a son.

Dan Dare was also rad as gently caress

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Or very Ace, if this really is a Fenris sort of deal.

I'm not even very clear on why they were chasing that one dog in the first place when there were seven billion of them with the same destination and purpose

Because that dog, according to the Doctor, is the only surviving person who knows anything about the Division.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah, the ep kinda glossed over that when they revealed he was a Very Good Boy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do like that I went from the initial trailer reveal of him making me go,"It looks like a lovely Chewbacca" to the actual episode making me go "I love that good doggy very much :3:"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

How the series will operate from a production standpoint when RTD comes in.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I read that article earlier as well; from what I gather, the BBC will no longer be responsible for producing DW (or any of the spinoffs RTD wants to do). They retain merchandising rights to the series, and I think distribution as well, but the actual production, creative control, etc. all go to Bad Wolf now.

Also Sony is apparently considering buying Bad Wolf, so make of that what you will.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The BBC would still completely own Doctor Who however. They’re not giving that up at all.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The BBC would still completely own Doctor Who however. They’re not giving that up at all.

Oh no question, they just aren't making the show anymore once RTD takes over.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Eagles Doomlord was the loving poo poo to 9yr old me back in 81. The first two incarnations of Doomlord were evil and tried to destroy earth. The third was good and became earths protector and even had a son.

Dan Dare was also rad as gently caress

But the son was evil and killed the Third, but a dude injected himself with the third Doomlord's blood, and became the Third Doomlord, and then HE turned evil but his son turned good, and then Doomlord killed his son, but 2 kids ate the sons blood and they both became the son and killed the third doomlord and then one of them died fighting a superhero and the other was "Should I be evil and destroy the world?" CLIFFHANGER.

When it's written out like that, Doomlord does sound AMAZING, too bad there's no trades!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh no question, they just aren't making the show anymore once RTD takes over.

That's what they said about Noel's House Party.