Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

thehandtruck posted:

Its been fun watching each ideology squeeze Squid Game into their respective digestive tracks and either reduce or inflate it. The show was fine I guess, kind of babies first money bad sort of thing. Americans disgust me.

A horror concept representing exploitation of the poor under unchecked capitalism? One where it is very straightforwardly demonstrated that the desperation of debt peonage creates feedback desperation for neoliberal institutions to further exploit? Clearly this could back the fundamental arguments of any ideology! In my essay, we will explore how Squid Game is this decade's libertarian magnum opus,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kavros posted:

A horror concept representing exploitation of the poor under unchecked capitalism? One where it is very straightforwardly demonstrated that the desperation of debt peonage creates feedback desperation for neoliberal institutions to further exploit? Clearly this could back the fundamental arguments of any ideology! In my essay, we will explore how Squid Game is this decade's libertarian magnum opus,

If we had "post of the day" badges, you would get one.

How else can anyone see Squid Game as anything else as a brutal critique of unchecked capitalism? Even the lead's "successful friend" ends up in the same situation.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

How else can anyone see Squid Game as anything else as a brutal critique of unchecked capitalism? Even the lead's "successful friend" ends up in the same situation.

Capitalism can't fail it can only be failed

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I find it really interesting that the two of the biggest non-music korean media exports (squid game and parasite) are both about the destitute desperation of the lower class contrasting with the disdain and indifference of the wealthy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't forget Snowpiercer! Also by Bong Joon-ho.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Remember Korea (south) had massive demonstrations against their government: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%962017_South_Korean_protests

"On 3 December (2016) 2.3 million people hit the streets in a further anti-Park rally, one of the largest in the country's history. An estimated 1.6 million people gathered around the main boulevards from the City Hall to Gwanghwamun Square and Gyeongbok Palace. Another estimated 200,000 people gathered around the city of Busan and 100,000 in Gwangju."

So, That 4.2m people out of a population of 51.22 million (2016).

Imagine 27+ million Americans turning out to protest on the same day.

Having been to Korea 2x I got the impression that they don't take crap nicely.

The result?

"On 3 December 2016, three opposition parties agreed to introduce a joint impeachment motion against President Park Geun-hye. The motion, which was signed by 171 of 300 lawmakers, was put to a vote on Friday, 9 December 2016, and passed with 234 out of 300 votes, a tally much greater than the required 2/3 majority and which included 62 members of Park's Saenuri Party.[44] The Impeachment process then moved to the Constitutional Court of Korea which could take 180 days to review the impeachment.

Park Geun-hye was finally impeached on 10 March 2017."

The Women's Marches (day after Trump's inauguration) had between 3,267,134 and 5,246,670 people participatin in the marches in the U.S. I think that's the largest US protest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Women%27s_March

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 31, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

American protests are significantly weakened by the assumption that they’re necessarily some kind of properly civil event somewhere between a street fair and a request to speak to the manager. It’s one of the lesser crimes of the way the civil rights movement is taught that everyone now believes that mass mobilization is merely an attempt to shame somebody.

Imagine if 10% of America understood what a general strike was.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

American protests are significantly weakened by the assumption that they’re necessarily some kind of properly civil event somewhere between a street fair and a request to speak to the manager. It’s one of the lesser crimes of the way the civil rights movement is taught that everyone now believes that mass mobilization is merely an attempt to shame somebody.

Imagine if 10% of America understood what a general strike was.
More importantly, the population in the United States is rather dispersed. Half of South Korea's population lives in the Seoul metro area.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Also no one in the US legislarure was attached to an actual cult, though I suppose the decade is young.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Another way to look at those numbers is that a percentage of the population of Seoul came out to protest. To get a comparable ratio in the US multiple major cities entire populations would be to mobilize. It helps when 10% of the county lives in one city with even more in the metro area. American protests need to take different forms and tangle with the fact that an empire the size of the US can now still instantly communicate from one side to the other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Capitalism can't fail it can only be failed

It's hard to understate just how much it's taught that any criticism of capitalism is by default invalid and unserious.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Kavros posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdVBOT2FFNI

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

VideoGameVet posted:

🤗 I will take the post of the day badge as long as humanity swears that they will not create anything remotely resembling my blighted satirical concept, from now until the end of t

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
New thread for discussing social critique in fiction

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mercifully Ben does realize that the show is condemning his ideology, and basically dismisses it as compelling and well-produced but ultimately meaningless fluff, which is slightly less irritating than if he tried to pretend it was arguing in favor of his own worldview.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Mellow Seas posted:

Mercifully Ben does realize that the show is condemning his ideology, and basically dismisses it as compelling and well-produced but ultimately meaningless fluff, which is slightly less irritating than if he tried to pretend it was arguing in favor of his own worldview.

In that case do not google squid game communism.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Maybe a dumb question -- does there exist something like Google News, except it shows genuinely distinct international perspectives on a thing?

So like when I click on "full coverage" for a topic, instead of showing me a thousand US sources that are all basically saying the same thing, I get the typical US take on it, then whatever the consensus Indian take on it is, then whatever the Chinese state is saying, then whatever consensus there is in Africa about it, Europe, Russia, etc.?

We live in an astonishingly vast ocean of information but whenever I check the news, what strikes me most is how suffocatingly insular and filtered it is, and I need to open a window.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Maybe a dumb question -- does there exist something like Google News, except it shows genuinely distinct international perspectives on a thing?

So like when I click on "full coverage" for a topic, instead of showing me a thousand US sources that are all basically saying the same thing, I get the typical US take on it, then whatever the consensus Indian take on it is, then whatever the Chinese state is saying, then whatever consensus there is in Africa about it, Europe, Russia, etc.?

We live in an astonishingly vast ocean of information but whenever I check the news, what strikes me most is how suffocatingly insular and filtered it is, and I need to open a window.

Any service offering such an aggregation would be incredibly limiting at best, and more likely deliberately misleading. There is not a single "consensus" take for the billion-plus population of India, let alone Europe, Russia or Africa. These countries have their own media ecosystems, as does China, with major internal variance of opinion. Countries with dominant inward or outward state propaganda systems, like China, still generally publish different material targeting different audiences.

If you are having a problem with the "insularity" and "filtering" of the sources you are reading, then I encourage you to find different mediating sources- no individual aggregator is going to actually reflect the diversity of positions or sources in the US, for example. It is also entirely possible that multiple outlets report the same things because those things are actually true. In the pursuit of less "filtered" or "insular" material, you should be extremely cautious of a desire to seek out information you want to believe is true; this just makes you an easier mark. The internet makes it easy to find someone who will tell you what you want to hear.

There is not a shortcut here. If you want to learn the opinions of people or media in other countries, you have to read about and learn the ins and outs of that media and information system in the same way that you do sources from the US. That means reading a lot more material, from a lot of different sources, and doing additional broader research.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 8, 2021

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Discendo Vox posted:

Any service offering such an aggregation would be incredibly limiting at best, and more likely deliberately misleading. There is not a single "consensus" take for the billion-plus population of India, let alone Europe, Russia or Africa. These countries have their own media ecosystems, as does China, with major internal variance of opinion. Countries with dominant inward or outward state propaganda systems, like China, still generally publish different material targeting different audiences.

If you are having a problem with the "insularity" and "filtering" of the sources you are reading, then I encourage you to find different mediating sources- no individual aggregator is going to actually reflect the diversity of positions or sources in the US, for example. It is also entirely possible that multiple outlets report the same things because those things are actually true. In the pursuit of less "filtered" or "insular" material, you should be extremely cautious of a desire to seek out information you want to believe is true; this just makes you an easier mark. The internet makes it easy to find someone who will tell you what you want to hear.

There is not a shortcut here. If you want to learn the opinions of people or media in other countries, you have to read about and learn the ins and outs of that media and information system in the same way that you do sources from the US. That means reading a lot more material, from a lot of different sources, and doing additional broader research.
I totally get that there is no substitute for knowing the ins and outs of a particular media environment, that continents are not neatly homogeneous perspectives for a given topic, that confirmation bias exists regardless of the diversity of sources yours exposed to, and so on. That said, I do appreciate the effort in what you're saying.

I guess I should clarify the question - does anybody know of media aggregators that do not filter based on region or language? Yes, I know that the utility of such an aggregator would be extremely limited for most people, and it would take considerable media literacy and machine translation to make good sense of, but surely something like this must exist. It can't be that hard to code up a dumb aggregator of all the world's most popular publications, so my hunch is that they do exist, and I'm just not good at finding them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I totally get that there is no substitute for knowing the ins and outs of a particular media environment, that continents are not neatly homogeneous perspectives for a given topic, that confirmation bias exists regardless of the diversity of sources yours exposed to, and so on. That said, I do appreciate the effort in what you're saying.

I guess I should clarify the question - does anybody know of media aggregators that do not filter based on region or language? Yes, I know that the utility of such an aggregator would be extremely limited for most people, and it would take considerable media literacy and machine translation to make good sense of, but surely something like this must exist. It can't be that hard to code up a dumb aggregator of all the world's most popular publications, so my hunch is that they do exist, and I'm just not good at finding them.

It might just make sense to look up various major news sources in whatever country you're interested in (as well as minor ones if you're looking for a specific sort of different perspective) and then do the machine translation.

Though as Discendo Vox mentioned, there's not going to be any reasonable/easy way to do this for a really big country, unless you're just looking for the broadest of strokes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
An interesting piece of data for this thread: The Verge is changing their policy on anonymous sources, and gives some examples of how "on background" tends to work.

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1458449659735777283

quote:

Today, The Verge is updating our public ethics policy to be clearer in our interactions with public relations and corporate communications professionals. We’re doing this because big tech companies in particular have hired a dizzying array of communications staff who routinely push the boundaries of acceptable sourcing in an effort to deflect accountability, pass the burden of truth to the media, and generally control the narratives around the companies they work for while being annoying as hell to deal with.

The main way this happens is that big companies take advantage of a particular agreement in the media called “background.” Being “on background” means that they tell things to reporters, but those reporters agree to not specifically attribute that information to a person by name. Oftentimes, companies will make things significantly worse and also insist that background information be paraphrased, further obscuring both specific details and the source of those details.

There are many reasons a reporter might agree to learning information on background, but importantly, being on background is supposed to be an agreement.

But the trend with big tech companies now is to increasingly treat background as a default or even a condition of reporting. That means reporters are now routinely asked to report things without being able to attribute them appropriately, and readers aren’t being presented with clear sources of information.

This all certainly feeds into the overall distrust of the media, which has dire consequences in our current information landscape, but in practice, it is also hilariously stupid.

Here are some examples:

• More than one big company insists on holding product briefings “on background with no attribution” which means no one can properly report what company executives say about their own new products during marketing events.

• A big tech company PR person emailed us a link to the company’s own website “on background.”

• A food delivery company insisted on discussing the popularity of chicken wings on background.

• Multiple big tech companies insist on having PR staffers quoted as “sources familiar with the situation” even though they are paid spokespeople for the most powerful companies in the world.

• A large recruiting company claimed it was an unethical double standard for us to attribute a statement to their spokesperson because we asked the company to respond to allegations from former employees who spoke to us anonymously.

• A big tech company refused to detail a controversial new privacy policy on the record, allowing it to amend details about it in repeated background follow-up briefings for over a week.

• A big tech company insisted on describing the upgrade requirements for its new operating system on background. Details which it then repeatedly changed… on background.

• A major car company’s head of communications told us an April Fools’ joke was actually real on background. The joke was not real.

• A major platform’s head of communications would only explain a content moderation decision attributed to “a source familiar,” tried to refute our characterization of that decision after we published, and then threatened to cut our reporter off from further communication.

• A big tech company sent us a statement “on the record” with the caveat that it could not be attributed to a specific individual.

• A major delivery company spokesperson, asked when the company would be profitable, insisted that the following statement only be paraphrased on background: “We’re investing in the enormous opportunity to enable omnichannel commerce for local businesses.”

• A major video game company gave a briefing “on background.” After we used that information in our story, attributing it to the company generally, a PR person tried to renegotiate what “on background” meant after the fact to avoid any attribution whatsoever, even going so far as to imply to our reporter that her editor had agreed to change specific sentences. (The editor had agreed to nothing of the sort.)

This list could go on and on — the clear pattern is that tech companies have uniformly adopted a strategy of obfuscating information behind background. It’s also easy to see why companies like to abuse background: they can provide their point of view to the media without being accountable for it. Instead, journalists have to act like they magically know things, and readers have to guess who is trustworthy and who is not.

This is bad, so we’re going to reset these expectations as loudly as possible.

From now on, the default for communications professionals and people speaking to The Verge in an official capacity will be “on the record.”
We will still honor some requests to be on background, but at our discretion and only for specific reasons that we can articulate to readers.
To be even more specific, here is the new section we’re adding to our public ethics policy, located here. If you are a communications or public relations professional, you can reach out to me and we can discuss it further, but it is unlikely you will change my mind.

A few of those can definitely be tied to specific incidents, but it's not really shocking to see that corporations have gotten used to exploiting loose sourcing policies and easy access to anonymity. It gives them plenty of flexibility to influence the narrative.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
An excellent development; enthusiast press outlets tend to have much worse practices overall because they're so dependent on (and get direct positive reader response to) industry communications. This is the issue that was used to lend a veneer of legitimacy to the emergent alt-right with gamergate. It seems to be an especially big problem in outlets covering "tech"; ars technica practically seems to have a shared staff with whomever does PR for Tesla.

This makes me curious what the Verge's policy was before this change; here it is, with no sourcing policy at all. Remarkably, it seems Vox media doesn't have global policies on these issues, which means this lesson may have to get learned over and over again.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 11, 2021

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

It seems to be an especially big problem in outlets covering "tech"; ars technica practically seems to have a shared staff with whomever does PR for Tesla.
Do you have anything specific to point to here? For one, I find ArsTechnica to be one of the better tech news outlets out there. And for another, one problem with Tesla is that they do not have a PR department. So there is no one for the media to officially talk to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DTurtle posted:

Do you have anything specific to point to here? For one, I find ArsTechnica to be one of the better tech news outlets out there. And for another, one problem with Tesla is that they do not have a PR department. So there is no one for the media to officially talk to.

The main issue here is that enthusiast sources are frequently very credulous with their reporting on the topic(s) they focus on (and as Discendo Vox mentioned, this seems to be exceptionally bad in tech reporting).

I think it's a combination of a couple things. One is that the people who choose to do such reporting already have a preexisting perspective on the topic of their reporting - they want tech stuff to be cool and exciting, and will be inclined to just credulously believe stuff that sounds cool. The other is that they have direct business incentives to report in this way. Not only will readers be less interested in reporting that says "maybe Tesla is full of poo poo about ______," but companies will be less willing to give access to media orgs that don't treat them positively*. If you want the high-profile interviews with the leaders of X company, you're going to want to report on them in a way they approve. And there's also the fact that you can do "technically true" reporting that is still extremely misleading. Like if a company issues a press release where they're completely full of poo poo, a media org can report on this as "company says X" without challenging any of their claims. I think this happens a lot with Tesla specifically - Musk or Tesla will make claims that are transparently complete nonsense intended to pump the stock price (like the recent thing with the "Tesla bot"), but the media still treats them seriously.

* This is also an issue with news media in general with regard to political reporting. They have an incentive to not anger the government (or at least both major political parties - they're okay as long as one likes them), so they might just lose access to interviews, press events, etc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DTurtle posted:

Do you have anything specific to point to here? For one, I find ArsTechnica to be one of the better tech news outlets out there.

Ars technica routinely reports on musk companies by uncritically repeating their advertising claims or investor relations claims, at length. A quick google gives simple examples: Here's them just repeating the content of their investor report with a very limited amount of context in a paragraph at the end; this is fairly typical; even as it runs alongside reporting of actual events happening to the company from outside. Here's another similar article based on the Model S Plaid announcement. About 99% of the story is direct quotes from the press event and marketing materials, with all images provided by Tesla. This is stenography for a customer base.

DTurtle posted:

And for another, one problem with Tesla is that they do not have a PR department. So there is no one for the media to officially talk to.

Nope. Tesla stated they were dissolving their PR department, an act which got widespread and synonymous coverage; all that this actually means is that they don't answer press inquiries on the record. It does not mean that they do not have a communications or PR division, only that it is obscured; even coverage of the dissolution indicated other PR divisions within the company still existed. They use comms contractors and through press events (which are still going to be run by people who are de facto PR), or use other proxies, explicit or not, to do PR work. The net effect is for the company to be less transparent about their influence activities, and that they do not respond to formal on the record inquiries (unless they want to).

Here's an example of one of the root pieces of coverage of the move. Notice it includes the following:

quote:

The move has been confirmed to Electrek at the highest level at Tesla with the source saying, “We no longer have a PR Team.”

Someone at Tesla said that to the press, under conditions of disclosure.

quote:

Gina Antonini, a senior manager on Tesla’s comms team for three years, saw her role changed to director of external relations and employee experience at Tesla in February.

They still have external relations, and they moved at least some of their comms team to similar titles in that division ("external relations" is communications, including both direct and indirect PR as well as things like government relations depending on the company).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 12, 2021

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Ars technica routinely reports on musk companies by uncritically repeating their advertising claims or investor relations claims, at length. A quick google gives simple examples: Here's them just repeating the content of their investor report with a very limited amount of context in a paragraph at the end; this is fairly typical; even as it runs alongside reporting of actual events happening to the company from outside.

I don't know what exactly your expectations are when it comes to stuff like this. You and I have talked about this before, but, as a regular consumer of Tesla news and technology news in general, outlets like Ars Technica taking investor reports and converting them into digestible articles provide a valuable service. I'm not going to read several dozen-page PDF documents (or, god forbid, PowerPoint slides) containing a plethora of financial terms and similar jargon because I'm a layperson. I will, however, read interpretations of those reports by the tech press because they tend to highlight the important bits in ways that normal people can understand, as well as provide context. Sometimes that context is limited, as you noted in your first example, but Ars specifically has an above-average readership in terms of sophistication, and the comments sections on their articles tend to have useful discussions that add to the articles themselves. (Ars is actually remarkable in the sense that they are one of the last general-purpose news sites with fairly useful and informative comments sections.)

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's another similar article based on the Model S Plaid announcement. About 99% of the story is direct quotes from the press event and marketing materials, with all images provided by Tesla. This is stenography for a customer base.

As opposed to... what? It is a press event, and the attendees are encouraged to take the information provided by the host and report it to their audiences. What is your ideal scenario here? Should Jonathan Gitlin whipped out his camera and taken his own pictures, or activated ~~stealth mode~~ to sneak into the backrooms and perform some top investigative journalism to uncover what Tesla must really been up to?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Slow News Day posted:

I don't know what exactly your expectations are when it comes to stuff like this. You and I have talked about this before, but, as a regular consumer of Tesla news and technology news in general, outlets like Ars Technica taking investor reports and converting them into digestible articles provide a valuable service. I'm not going to read several dozen-page PDF documents (or, god forbid, PowerPoint slides) containing a plethora of financial terms and similar jargon because I'm a layperson. I will, however, read interpretations of those reports by the tech press because they tend to highlight the important bits in ways that normal people can understand, as well as provide context. Sometimes that context is limited, as you noted in your first example, but Ars specifically has an above-average readership in terms of sophistication, and the comments sections on their articles tend to have useful discussions that add to the articles themselves. (Ars is actually remarkable in the sense that they are one of the last general-purpose news sites with fairly useful and informative comments sections.)

As opposed to... what? It is a press event, and the attendees are encouraged to take the information provided by the host and report it to their audiences. What is your ideal scenario here? Should Jonathan Gitlin whipped out his camera and taken his own pictures, or activated ~~stealth mode~~ to sneak into the backrooms and perform some top investigative journalism to uncover what Tesla must really been up to?

First, note that the company that supposedly has no PR department has press events and press photos, and people who provide language, quotes, and photo materials to the press. As to the actual subject matter, yes, it is in fact a problem that the mediator conflates reported fact with claim, and solely sources statements from the company. Tesla financial reports tend to not follow GAAP and the company has, to put it mildly, plenty of context, including critical context, that can be applied to their claims both in financial reports and in vehicle launch claims.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Ars technica routinely reports on musk companies by uncritically repeating their advertising claims or investor relations claims, at length. A quick google gives simple examples: Here's them just repeating the content of their investor report with a very limited amount of context in a paragraph at the end; this is fairly typical; even as it runs alongside reporting of actual events happening to the company from outside. Here's another similar article based on the Model S Plaid announcement. About 99% of the story is direct quotes from the press event and marketing materials, with all images provided by Tesla. This is stenography for a customer base.
I was mostly surprised by you specifically calling out ArsTechnica with regards to Tesla coverage. In my experience, ArsTechnica's Tesla coverage is a lot less fanboyish than other outlets out there. Looking through the news about Tesla posted there, they average about one article a week or so about Tesla. Checking the first page of articles listed there (36 articles in the last 9 months), the most positive ones are the ones covering investor events (quarterly results) and new announcements(Model S Plaid). Most of the rest of the articles involve various lawsuits, crashes, NHTSHA/NTSB investigations, and lots of (negative) stuff about Autopilot:
  • Tesla recalls 11,706 vehicles over Full Self-Driving Beta software bug
  • Tesla pulls Full Self-Driving update after sudden braking spooks drivers
  • Tesla ordered to pay $137M to Black former worker subjected to racist workplace
  • Tesla must tell NHTSA how Autopilot sees emergency vehicles
  • Tesla Bot is the company’s troubled Autopilot system in humanoid form
  • SEC struggling to rein in Elon Musk’s tweets, letters reveal
  • Federal investigators blast Tesla, call for stricter safety standards
I don't see how that in any way reflects, and I quote:

Discendo Vox posted:

ars technica practically seems to have a shared staff with whomever does PR for Tesla.
Especially when you compare that coverage with the coverage on a site like Electrek that has multiple articles each day about Tesla, including such highlights as:
  • Watch a Tesla Model S beat the fastest gas sedans around a real racetrack
  • Tesla owner claims first Full Self-Driving Beta crash in strange NTHSA complaint
  • Tesla owners are warned by police that they might be targeted by professional thieves
  • Ford CEO praises Tesla in internal meeting: ‘No one does electric better’
  • Tesla spotted building a bunch of cars in wild new colors
  • VW CEO explains why it needs to be more like Tesla: Giga Berlin will produce 90 cars/hour on 1 line
Or CleanTechnica, which also has multiple articles about Tesla per day, including
  • Video: Tesla FSD Beta 10.4 Executes Unprotected Left Turn Flawlessly
  • Can Tesla Become the Apple of Automakers?
  • Tesla China Offered 11/11 Enhanced Autopilot Free Experience In Honor Of China Singles’ Day
  • Tesla Attends 2021 Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers National Convention Looking For Talent
  • Another Aussie MP Gets A Tesla Model 3
  • Tesla Owners Are Planning To A Birthday Surprise For A Young Fan Who’s Had Multiple Surgeries
  • Tesla Sentry Mode Adds “Darth Vader” Feature
  • New Tesla Patent Reveals Tesla’s Vision For Making Its Cars More Intiutive
THAT is why I was so surprised to see you specifically calling out ArsTechnica.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is the idea positive news is false and negative news is true?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I took (and still take) issue with Discendo Vox's accusation that "ars technica practically seems to have a shared staff with whomever does PR for Tesla."

I do not think that their coverage of Tesla in any way supports that accusation. In order to support my position, I think it is very useful to look at the types, content, and tone of articles that ArsTechnica published in the past about Tesla, especially when compared to other outlets covering tech where I would actually support that accusation.

True or false does not play a role in that. I would expect all the factual things in the articles on Electrek and ClenTechnica to be true, but the type, content, and tone of those articles I cited is completely different. To be fair, I obviously selected the headlines on those sites that seemed most egregious to me. However, I did not see any comparable articles (on the first page) about Tesla on ArsTechnica.

Basically all the information posted in various articles about Tesla on ArsTechnica seem to completely rely on public information (investor reports, press releases, information on the website, news from other news sites, tweets, Reddit users, etc.). I didn't really see anything that could be traced back to "anonymous" sources from Tesla.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 14, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

DTurtle posted:

I was mostly surprised by you specifically calling out ArsTechnica with regards to Tesla coverage.

No one reads YOSPOS. It is Sunday.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
Chris Cuomo was suspended by CNN after it came out he was working to support his brother against accusations of sexual harassment and then fired once CNN was reminded that there were sexual harassment accusations against him from his time at ABC.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-12-05/sexual-harassment-claim-doomed-chris-cuomo-at-cnn

quote:

“These apparently anonymous allegations are not true,” the representative said in a statement. “If the goal in making these false and unvetted accusations was to see Mr. Cuomo punished by CNN, that may explain his unwarranted termination.”

A representative for CNN said in a statement Saturday that the network already had a reason to fire Cuomo before the sexual misconduct matter was raised.

“When new allegations came to us this week, we took them seriously, and saw no reason to delay taking actions,” the representative.

Privately, CNN insiders say the network did not want to be in the position of having to defend Cuomo over allegations that involved his previous company when his current role was already in serious jeopardy.

When Cuomo started on CNN, they agreed it was a conflict of interest for him to cover his brother. They changed their minds last year and the two did a regular series of on-air get togethers, friendly and chummy, ignoring the reports about Andrew Cuomo's disastrous COVID policy and the many excess deaths in nursing homes. They changed their minds again once Andrew Cuomo's sexual harassment accusers really started to pile up and the nursing home issue started to stick.

This resulted in a weeks-long blackout of coverage about the Andrew Cuomo scandals on one of their major, prime time shows. Friendly coverage when things are good for Andrew Cuomo, limited coverage when they're bad. Hard not to mistake that for an extreme bit of favoritism and bias.

Anyway, last night, they ran that "This is an apple" ad for the first time in years. It felt like they were burned by this long-running ethical boondoggle and wanted to say "Hey, we're great, not fake news like those other guys!"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not a fan of CNN but it's quite a stretch to say that bias and conflict of interest are the same as fake news.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I'm not a fan of CNN but it's quite a stretch to say that bias and conflict of interest are the same as fake news.

You're really gonna need to expand on this because I don't think those things are meaningfully different at all. How does a guy using the largest platform on one of the three big cable news networks to give people the impression that his brother was doing an excellent job handling the pandemic as governor when he was in fact doing a terrible job not count as fake news?

This really just reads as "when someone on our side does it they meant well but made mistakes whereas when their side does it its obviously because they are evil and nefarious."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
At one point "fake news" meant literally fictional news.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

At one point "fake news" meant literally fictional news.

Andrew Cuomo's great handling of the pandemic was absolutely fictional news.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

Andrew Cuomo's great handling of the pandemic was absolutely fictional news.

Is it useful to do this?

There was a rise of literally false stories having large effects, birther claims, crisis actors at school shootings, the stop the steal stuff, and a deliberate tactic to help support that fake news has been people like trump making sure to muddle and confuse terms like 'fake news'. Like it's good for people to know the differance between poor journalism, bias and outlandish stories. The easy sick quip of "heh, it's all the same" really only hurts conversations. Overly positive reporting about Cuomo is not the same thing as reporting jew did 9/11. It's okay to distinguish both things as problems in journalism without demanding both be treated equivalent

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't think it's a meaningful distinction in this particular case just because a fancy news org did it in a more subtle way. If anything, it's worse than the poo poo you mentioned because many more people were willing to take it at face value, including likely many people on this site who think of themselves as very smart and good at media literacy.

e: although tbf I also think the term fake news is dead as doornails with as much as it's gotten coopted by the 25% or so of Americans who are lapping up the garbage you mentioned and dismissing everything they don't like as "fake news." Once Trump started using the phrase it was pretty much rendered useless.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 7, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think it's a meaningful distinction in this particular case just because a fancy news org did it in a more subtle way. If anything, it's worse than the poo poo you mentioned because many more people were willing to take it at face value, including likely many people on this site who think of themselves as very smart and good at media literacy.

e: although tbf I also think the term fake news is dead as doornails with as much as it's gotten coopted by the 25% or so of Americans who are lapping up the garbage you mentioned and dismissing everything they don't like as "fake news." Once Trump started using the phrase it was pretty much rendered useless.

Nazis ruin everything they touch, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

What is the functional difference?