Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Zombie Lemur posted:

Yeah, Mick Foley has talked about Hildebrand studying tapes of Japanese wrestling for hours on end learning different moves and doing stuff no one in the US was attempting at the time.

It's funny that Cornette speaks so highly of him, because the mentality that put him in a turtle costume is the same one that leads to him trashing AEW wrestlers. Hildebrand would've thrived in AEW and Cornette would hate him.
Hell, Hildebrand was super into lucha libre when that was incredibly rare in the U.S., even trying to learn the style and incorporate it into his own work. At one point he was working some shows under a mask as El Technico Rudo and explicitly working lucha style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

davidbix posted:

Hell, Hildebrand was super into lucha libre when that was incredibly rare in the U.S., even trying to learn the style and incorporate it into his own work. At one point he was working some shows under a mask as El Technico Rudo and explicitly working lucha style.

It really does seem like he was born in the wrong time.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

he's a turtle caught in a time warp

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Hildebrand also seems like one of those rare people in wrestling absolutely no one has a bad word for.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If you read Foley's first book, he was someone who knew Hildebrand better than almost anyone, and at one point basically says that if the business hadn't been body-based Hildebrand would have been a world champion. He knew wrestling like absolutely nobody else.

d8uv
Sep 17, 2005

DO NOT EAT
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WilliamRBR/status/1455295479516852225

very cool, extremely normal.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Pretending to be a wrestler."

Jim, I got some fuckin' heartbreaking news about everyone in the wrestling business.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you get high as hell the diatribe slowly morphs into really racist sheep bleating.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

coconono posted:

if you get high as hell the diatribe slowly morphs into really racist sheep bleating.

I am and it kinda did.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean I get that Last has to (well 'has to') work with the guy, but come on dude, just loving say that it IS racist to say that. In fairness, I get that he DID basically all but say it by pointing out that Cornette's basically decided every Japanese woman is Riho and that every joshi show is ChocoPro, but that's the loving problem these days. Everyone's so scared to say the word because fuckwits act like being called racist or even just saying you said/did something racist is worse than literal racism.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

TheKingslayer posted:

I am and it kinda did.

I'm not and it still did.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

TheKingslayer posted:

I am and it kinda did.

Same and same.

I was going to post words but man, gently caress Jim Cornette.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hopefully Cornette's Wendy's-bloated heart pops soon

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pretty hosed that Jim implies people into the Joshi scene are some kind of pedo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Pretty hosed that Jim implies people into the Joshi scene are some kind of pedo.

The man knows a lot of pedophiles.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

That was shockingly ignorant and racist even by Corny standards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I mean I get that Last has to (well 'has to') work with the guy, but come on dude, just loving say that it IS racist to say that. In fairness, I get that he DID basically all but say it by pointing out that Cornette's basically decided every Japanese woman is Riho and that every joshi show is ChocoPro, but that's the loving problem these days. Everyone's so scared to say the word because fuckwits act like being called racist or even just saying you said/did something racist is worse than literal racism.

Sadly Last is too much of a coward to ditch Cornette like his previous cohost.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I figured Cornette would be too busy whining about the Halloween match to talk about anything else. I should've known there's always room for racism on his schedule.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zombie Lemur posted:

I figured Cornette would be too busy whining about the Halloween match to talk about anything else. I should've known there's always room for racism on his schedule.

Great news for you then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccpy21ZqiE

(I ain't listened to it and I ain't gonna. I can't do more than ten minutes of Corncob at a time.)

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Vandar posted:

Great news for you then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccpy21ZqiE

(I ain't listened to it and I ain't gonna. I can't do more than ten minutes of Corncob at a time.)

Haha, yeah I don't think I can put myself through it either.

What a waste of nice art, too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
He said he didn’t like it, then started bleating like a sheep so I got bored and shut it off.

It wasn’t very good.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i dont like joshi either but i also hate 99% of everything

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

at this point in my life i think the only wrestling i like is bobby heenan in a weasel suit match

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The only good wrestling is the wrestling I like, Jim doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It’s funny I haven’t listened to any Cornette in a long time but I clicked on that shida clip out of curiosity, and man he’s worst than he’s ever been. He used to be a guy who had knowledge of wrestling now he only seems to speak out of ignorance. To just go she’s Japanese so this is bad is legit one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard, and yeah to talk about how small Japanese women are when you have Taye Conti, and Deeb who is pretty tiny. It’s maddening.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Wrestlers are only allowed to be big.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Bigger is always better. Imagine if Daniel Bryan was seven feet tall. It would own. Now imagine CM Punk as is except he refuses to drink diet pepsi and is 300 lbs with the sugar diabetes. Texas bull rope match. Book it.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Bigger is always better. Imagine if Daniel Bryan was seven feet tall. It would own. Now imagine CM Punk as is except he refuses to drink diet pepsi and is 300 lbs with the sugar diabetes. Texas bull rope match. Book it.

Seven foot Daniel Bryan is Vince's wet dream

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
He would tell 7FT Daniel Bryan to slow down and act like a big man, and you'll get early 90s Andre the Giant

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, him talking about size in that clip makes zero sense since Shida and Deeb are practically the same size.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maybe he's going by how much the water level will rise in the hot tub.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Yeah, him talking about size in that clip makes zero sense since Shida and Deeb are practically the same size.

Neither of them is built like an 80s dad so they are both too small.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

cornette doesn't like women in his sport. stubborn male bias. but everything he said about sable is still correct

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

cornette doesn't like women in his sport. stubborn male bias. but everything he said about sable is still correct

That she drew more money in 1998 than he ever did over a calendar year?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

She was certainly paid well for her run through WWF, but idk if she was the draw. I always remembered her as kinda weird lookin esp compared to Sunny or Chyna.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

She was certainly paid well for her run through WWF, but idk if she was the draw. I always remembered her as kinda weird lookin esp compared to Sunny or Chyna.

She was big for ratings and even a PPV buyrate. The Playboy issue was huge too. WWE trying to recapture the Sable formula for 15 years was terrible for women in the company but for a time Sable was a very big star. There have been a lot of men with no talent for wrestling who had a short period of sustained success but Jim really, really hates Sable for obvious reasons.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MassRafTer posted:

The Playboy issue was huge too.

i remember this specifically because it came out on my 18th birthday haha

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

graph posted:

i remember this specifically because it came out on my 18th birthday haha

You beat me to 40 but it was a close race

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Orange Carlisle posted:

You beat me to 40 but it was a close race

people were like 'the 30-wall is real' - nah, not really

the 40-wall is real

also i didnt get carded :mad: i bought it before school and brought it to the lunch table lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

graph posted:

people were like 'the 30-wall is real' - nah, not really

the 40-wall is real

also i didnt get carded :mad:

I still have a few short months until I hit that wall but I'm speeding toward it at about a hundred miles an hour and it's going to be ugly