Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

Excuse me

That's "Convicted Felon Conrad Black" to you

Excuse me

That's "Convicted Felon Conrad Moffat Black, Baron Black of [Ideally The Bottom of] Crossharbour" to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

B33rChiller posted:

And probably more insects

The animal ag industry claiming "protein" is as bad a the oil and gas sector claiming "energy". You don't have to construct a horrible rube goldberg scenario where you feed critters then grind them up into protein powder.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 1, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

B33rChiller posted:

And probably more insects

Good news, meat is really jumping in price so it's just a matter of time.
Costco chicken thighs were $1.50 more expensive this weekend than the last time we went about a month ago.

I think they'll shut down before they raise the price of their rotisserie chickens by a single cent though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/affordable-housing-strategy-not-about-privatization-minister-says-1.6233210

The UCP are selling off the government's affordable housing stock to private for-profit companies, but that is somehow not privatization.

Down the road we are 100% going to find out they were sold to donors at a fraction of market value, with a majority of them being converted into overpriced standard housing units and loving nothing will happen.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1455316933415522314

:laffo:

Still going to vote your rear end out.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol that was one of the first things the PCs cancelled when they took office. Their internal polling numbers must be dire if they’re bringing this out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol that was one of the first things the PCs cancelled when they took office. Their internal polling numbers must be dire if they’re bringing this out.

Literally the same thing my dad said to me when he told me about this. poo poo must be dire if theyre willing to go back on their promise to Struggling Small Business OwnersTM to not raise the min wage any more.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The tied to inflation thing is kind of big if true.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

DynamicSloth posted:

The tied to inflation thing is kind of big if true.

The federal liberals are going to get beat over the head with the inflation thing.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Powershift posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/affordable-housing-strategy-not-about-privatization-minister-says-1.6233210

The UCP are selling off the government's affordable housing stock to private for-profit companies, but that is somehow not privatization.

Down the road we are 100% going to find out they were sold to donors at a fraction of market value, with a majority of them being converted into overpriced standard housing units and loving nothing will happen.

The government ditching ownership of affordable housing is like the opposite direction of what they should be doing. They should be buying and building more units, not selling them off ffs.
Logically the only reason a for-profit developer would buy (apparently) shoddy units would be to...make a profit on them yes?
And if a non-profit can buy them and make them work why can't the government?

At this point $15/hour is obsolete and is not a living wage in most places. I'm guessing that it should be closer to $20 now.
Automatic inflation increases is nice though.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

The government ditching ownership of affordable housing is like the opposite direction of what they should be doing. They should be buying and building more units, not selling them off ffs.
Logically the only reason a for-profit developer would buy (apparently) shoddy units would be to...make a profit on them yes?
And if a non-profit can buy them and make them work why can't the government?

At this point $15/hour is obsolete and is not a living wage in most places. I'm guessing that it should be closer to $20 now.

Who determines what inflation is though? We already know that the numbers tossed around by economists are not what real inflation is.

This just means they will never acknowledge inflation ever again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Talked to my brother about the minimum wage increase. This is what he replied with:

quote:

Increasing wages will only drive inflation. Minimum wage should never be above 8.50. Reduction of inflation and keeping living in check isn't solved by putting more money in the system it can only be fixed by social reform. They want to increase wages because then more people will be able to borrow. The thought is if more people can borrow they can get into homes but that's just a lie. Real estate makes 30-50% of Canada's GDP so our governments want Canadians to borrow more so they'll buy overinflated houses. If people are buying overpriced houses we can say look our economy is growing.

I mean yeah, social reform would be great but none of the parties are interested in fixing the problem with reform so keeping minimum at $8.50 like he suggests seems utterly insane to me given the circumstances.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"Minimum wage increases drive inflation" has got to be the most widespread "dumbass thing that only morons think".

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Fidelitious posted:

The only reason Wynne campaigned on 15 was because Canadian politics always has to take cues from American politics and there's been a long time fight to raise the American minimum wage to $15. $15 isn't enough in either country; IIRC it should be something closer to $25 USD if wages kept pace with inflation since the 70s, which is ~$31 CAD. People here already poo poo themselves when it went up to $14 and I legit had co-workers mad that their pay went up because bosses cut hours.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arc Hammer posted:

Talked to my brother about the minimum wage increase. This is what he replied with:

I mean yeah, social reform would be great but none of the parties are interested in fixing the problem with reform so keeping minimum at $8.50 like he suggests seems utterly insane to me given the circumstances.

You could for example show him a graph of inflation overlaid on a graph of minimum wage increases since, IDK, 1970 or so. If he still comes away thinking minimum wage is driving inflation, look into a conservatorship for him.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Imagine working at McDonalds and making $8.50 and having someone come through and order a big mac meal that costs about 1.25x your hourly wage.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'm sorry, your brother has a terminal case of rich dipshititis. We could try a salvage therapy of forcing him to labor for $8.50/hr, but the kindest thing might be an amputation of the brain by guillotine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My brother and I agree on a lot of stuff but whenever the topic of wages comes up we're diametrically opposed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's pretty much a litmus test for critical thinking.

"why should easy jobs pay more than i make at my hard job"
"if people make more money, things will cost more every year"
"i made $3 an hour in 1970 and i did fine"
"if the minimum wage is too high, companies will go elsewhere"

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

For some reason I'd thought the BC government already did this ??? Maybe what I'd read before was something at a more informal level? (ie. "we're talking with the Health Minister about blah blah")

It sounds like something has changed at the Federal level, and the Feds asked the Province to lead, and come up with something concrete that they can rubber stamp. Possibly because decriminalization has a super majority of support in recent polling. At least I'd like to think this is getting a rubber stamp approval.

quote:

B.C. finalizes submission to decriminalize drug possession

British Columbia, on pace toward another record year of drug-poisoning deaths, is seeking to decriminalize personal possession of up to a total of 4.5 grams of illicit drugs such as heroin, fentanyl, methamphetamine, and crack and powder cocaine.

If the proposal is approved, people caught with less than this amount for personal use will be given information on how to access local health and social services. There would be no alternative administrative penalties, such as fines, or mandatory referrals to education or treatment. Police would not seize the drugs.

The details are contained in the province’s completed submission to Health Canada seeking an exemption from the federal Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, obtained by The Globe and Mail. The province is expected to submit the application early this week.

The 44-page document describes the province’s worsening toxic drug crisis – which has killed about 8,000 people since 2016, putting B.C. among the most devastated provinces – and the harms of criminalizing substance use. By comparison, B.C. has had 2,156 deaths related to COVID-19 as of last Friday.

The document points out the increase in drug deaths involving extreme concentrations of fentanyl, as well as the growing presence of benzodiazepines in the illicit opioid supply, and cites several studies on law enforcement pushing people to hide their drug use and avoid life-saving harm-reduction services.

The submission says criminal laws with the purpose of promoting public health and safety should not unintentionally increase the risk of death or serious harm. It also references Section 15(1) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which guarantees equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination.

“While the illicit drug poisoning crisis affects all [people who use drugs], people with substance use disorders – a recognized disability – are disproportionately affected,” the submission states. “All levels of government therefore have an obligation to minimize the mortality and morbidity risks of their policies and to not exacerbate any pre-existing inequities.”

The submission only deals with the drugs most commonly involved in illicit drug poisoning deaths. Other substances, such as psilocybin and MDMA, would be considered at a later date. It also only applies to people 19 years and older.

Under decriminalization, the manufacturing and trafficking of illicit drugs remains illegal.

Groups consulted for the submission disagreed on some points. The Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users, or VANDU, for example, said a cumulative threshold of 4.5 grams – as opposed to 4.5 grams for each substance, as floated earlier – was too low and failed to account for poly-substance users who typically carry larger quantities, as well as those who hold amounts for others.

Garth Mullins, a VANDU representative who is part of the province’s decriminalization core planning table, said various stakeholders appeared to be heading toward “a pretty good compromise” when the threshold limit was changed at the last minute.

“We had caught wind that [Minister of Mental Health and Addictions Sheila Malcolmson] had proposed 4.5 grams, and so we were consulting in VANDU about that. For fentanyl, coke and rock, that would have really decriminalized 95 per cent of us. It was very good,” he said. “But then somewhere in the [higher up] consultations, they decided it had to be cumulative. And that meant we couldn’t support those thresholds anymore.”

Meanwhile, police representatives felt the threshold was too high, and some cited potential risks and liabilities in allowing people to keep their illicit drugs, according to the document.

Leslie McBain, a co-founder of the support and advocacy group Moms Stop the Harm, said the province’s move to decriminalize personal possession is “definitely a step in the right direction,” but she feels the submission is not yet ready for delivery to Health Canada.

“For example, and importantly, there is no mention of decriminalization of youth who may possess illicit substances,” said Ms. McBain, who lost her son, Jordan, to an overdose in 2014. “What is written and not written into this submission for decriminalization will affect our children for the future. If they are not protected under this application, they can be thrown into the criminal justice system for possessing any amount of illicit substance. That is no way for them to start their lives.”

The document lists shorter-term objectives, including: increasing drug users’ awareness of and comfort with accessing health and social services; reducing seizures, arrests, charges, penalties and criminal records for simple possession; and reducing police and court resources spent on enforcement or prosecution of simple possession.

Long-term objectives include: reducing illicit drug poisonings and deaths; reducing health, social and economic harms associated with the criminalization of drug use; and increasing engagement and retention in treatment and support services for people with substance use disorders.

Ministerial mandate letters after B.C.’s 2020 provincial election directed Ms. Malcolmson, Public Safety Minister and Solicitor-General Mike Farnworth and Attorney-General David Eby to work with police chiefs to push Ottawa to decriminalize personal possession. In the absence of prompt federal action, the three were told to “develop a made-in-B.C. solution that will help save lives.”

The Globe and Mail reported in February that Ms. Malcolmson had written to then-federal health minister Patty Hajdu inquiring about the exemption.

Under Section 56(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, the minister of health can exempt from provisions of the act “any person or class of persons … if, in the opinion of the minister, the exemption is necessary for a medical or scientific purpose or is otherwise in the public interest.”

The City of Vancouver has also submitted its own application to decriminalize personal possession within city limits.

People and groups who have called for drug decriminalization include B.C. Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry, former provincial health officer Perry Kendall and the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police. In August, 2020, the Public Prosecution Service of Canada directed prosecutors to focus on the most serious drug crimes involving public safety concerns, “and to otherwise pursue suitable alternative measures and diversion from the criminal justice system for simple possession cases.”

A national survey released early this year by the Angus Reid Institute found a majority of Canadians support drug decriminalization. Of 5,003 Canadian adults surveyed, 59 per cent – a majority in every province except Saskatchewan and New Brunswick – favoured removing criminal penalties for possessing small amounts of drugs. B.C. had the highest level of support, at 66 per cent.

Dr. Bonnie Henry on the CBC radio this morning talking about this. Stephen Quinn noted that in 2019 Henry had put out a report suggesting that the BC government should amend its policing act (or something like that) to try to get to the same decriminalization place and asked why the government wasn't pursuing that. Henry said that in 2019 the Feds were a lot less interested and suggested that something had changed recently. This is "doing it the best way." *waves hands*

I've heard drug user advocates mention that BC could do a lot more just by itself. That's interesting to me but kind of surprising. Like a province can tell the RCMP to *not* follow some Federal law? That doesn't seem right.

Perhaps if it was a wholly provincial act it would be more around policing direction? But if the RCMP did find drugs on you after arresting you, they are obligated to charge you under the federal laws?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1455582327690522625?s=20

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im assuming this is the real life version of that tweet about reaping and sowing?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I worry about the minimum wage being tied to inflation. It sounds nice, but if you start off at an already unlivable wage, even if it goes up every year with a realistic amount for inflation, you will still be permanently stuck with an unlivable wage that no politician will touch again because "It goes up every year!"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DrBox posted:

I worry about the minimum wage being tied to inflation. It sounds nice, but if you start off at an already unlivable wage, even if it goes up every year with a realistic amount for inflation, you will still be permanently stuck with an unlivable wage that no politician will touch again because "It goes up every year!"

Look at this guy making things better instead of just slowing the pace of getting worse.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

DrBox posted:

My bigger issue is that there’s no metric for inflation that is meaningful to regular people. It’s decided upon by those who use it to benefit capital over workers.

If inflation was calculated based on real things that everyone has to have like food, shelter, energy etc then maybe it would be useful for this.

They purposefully exclude all of those things and then announce inflation is at 2.2% while we pay 20% more for real things we need.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Furnaceface posted:

Im assuming this is the real life version of that tweet about reaping and sowing?

Her post basically says the people who gathered outside her house and expressed their desire to hang her because she was involved in making them wear masks are doing it because they're scared and we need to speak with them to understand why they're so afraid. Then she lists a bunch of valid reasons not to get vaccinated that I'd guess 0 of the people who are attending rallies with nooses would qualify for.

e: and then people in the comments tell her she deserved it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why would both sides do this?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Noblesse Obliged posted:

My bigger issue is that there’s no metric for inflation that is meaningful to regular people. It’s decided upon by those who use it to benefit capital over workers.

If inflation was calculated based on real things that everyone has to have like food, shelter, energy etc then maybe it would be useful for this.

They purposefully exclude all of those things and then announce inflation is at 2.2% while we pay 20% more for real things we need.

Stephanie Kelton and a host of modern monetary theory economists literally do this, including accounting for differences in employment rate based on race and gender.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

half cocaine posted:

Stephanie Kelton and a host of modern monetary theory economists literally do this, including accounting for differences in employment rate based on race and gender.

Do you think Doug Ford will be increasing min wage based on Stephanie Kelton?

Oh wait. She’s one of those “this is all transitory!” ghouls

Noblesse Obliged fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 2, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/KevinCTV/status/1455601031950344195

In the most shocking move ever, Kenney is now throwing Hinshaw under the bus.

he's probably going to find an excuse to get rid of Yiu, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Powershift posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinCTV/status/1455601031950344195

In the most shocking move ever, Kenney is now throwing Hinshaw under the bus.

he's probably going to find an excuse to get rid of Yiu, too.

He's not going to get rid of Hinshaw. This is the third or fourth time he's tossed her in front of a moving train. She just rolls over and takes it out of some deluded effort to hold down the fort so someone worse doesn't fill the spot. Hinshaw sucks but if Kenney caused her to resign it would jam another spike into his chances of getting re elected. "Premier rejects science, hires yes-man" the headlines write themselves.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Do you think Doug Ford will be increasing min wage based on Stephanie Kelton?

Oh wait. She’s one of those “this is all transitory!” ghouls

oh well back to austerity I guess

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Lol Manitoba

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1455618673977221126?t=Wtrn2-yFqNU5seWe2YG9TQ&s=19

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Canadian Conservatives are always trying to be a cargo cult of US politicians. It's nearly sad, but also nearly hilarious. I can never decide which.

In other political news, I was reflecting today how Canadian society has failed to fall apart after the legalization of cannabis but it has definitely made me appreciate the music of Mastodon a lot more. Thanks a lot, Trudeau.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think most of the problematic people are smoking too little cannabis, not too much.

You don't go round an MLA's house and set up nooses if you're stoned, you sit on the couch and listen to music whilst eating Hawkins Cheezies.

Far from legal weed, we need mandatory weed.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

PT6A posted:

I think most of the problematic people are smoking too little cannabis, not too much.

You don't go round an MLA's house and set up nooses if you're stoned, you sit on the couch and listen to music whilst eating Hawkins Cheezies.

Far from legal weed, we need mandatory weed.

I may be late to the party on this but I recently heard about frozen Hawkins Cheezies and I have tried them now and they are delicious.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I may be late to the party on this but I recently heard about frozen Hawkins Cheezies and I have tried them now and they are delicious.

WTF

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Freezing things makes them taste like chalk to me. They taste fine normally.

Now I'm wondering what they'd be like if I heated them in a toaster oven for a few minutes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hawkins Cheezies are the most Canadian of all snack foods, it is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Hawkins Cheezies are the most Canadian of all snack foods, it is known.

Hickory Sticks :colbert:

Right now most provinces have Conservative premiers, but theyre all in the gutter for approval ratings. Other than Alberta and Saskatchewan what other provinces seem likely to stay Con comes the next provincial election?