Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Not sure if these really fit the thread, but since they played alongside a lot of the cartoons I watched, I thought I'd share them anyway. While chatting with my brother, we got on the topic of some of the weird animated shorts that we vaguely remembered playing in the older days of Nickelodeon. That in turn sent me down a bit of a Youtube rabbit hole, and I found quite a few familiar-looking little odds and ends. Does anyone else remember watching these back in the day?

Eternity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWeEGLqr6g
The Killing of An Egg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-XTeyV8Dk&t=101s
Fast Good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnQw2pTYrE
Creature Comforts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOWE0EiCyo
Dog Brain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOWE0EiCyo
Waddles - https://youtu.be/oqVtNMtPoZ8?t=2872
Picnic on Imperium Beach - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LILAo_MVxuQ&t=193s
Housecats - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qODMvfR1kes
Jumping - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1pThwh2Ves

They're mostly fun to watch now, but god, as a little kid a lot of these unsettled the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer for Season 2 of the Animaniacs revival:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0ysZiNi_0Kg

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Did anyone watch Maya and the Three? I'm almost finished with it now and it's pretty decent. The character designs are interesting and the voice cast is pretty great. I thought it was a movie when the first trailers dropped so seeing that it's a series was a surprise. One of my complaints is that the character Rico feels like they went too much in the black comedy relief direction, but I'd recommend watching it.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

He-Man Revelation Part 2 Trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zYDjYKk8kf8

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings update: This show is Game of Thrones for kids and I love it. It might be my favorite animated show of the year.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think it needs a new title, every time I hear Ranking of Kings I think "oh another predatory mobile gacha game" and not "an anime show with a charming art style that looks like a chidlren's storybook"

Larryb posted:

He-Man Revelation Part 2 Trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zYDjYKk8kf8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The United States posted:

I think it needs a new title, every time I hear Ranking of Kings I think "oh another predatory mobile gacha game" and not "an anime show with a charming art style that looks like a chidlren's storybook"

To be fair, Kevin Smith kind of already did that himself in most of the post-Season 1 interviews he did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The United States posted:

More like;

Manbabies: Waaa! You only showed clips of the first episode last time! Bait and switch! Kevin Smith lied! Muh childhood! Women and black people! Waaa!

Netflix: *sigh* Fine, here's loving EVERYTHING from Part 2. Are you happy now?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect it might just not have been possible to make a decent trailer for part 2 of a ten episode season (of half hour eps) that didn't give away a lot of the climax. I.e. it's a problem of content as much as anything else.

Though I've no idea why anyone would try to "win back" an audience that would have watched the show anyway (and yes, it also appears like they're trying to do that too). How do chuds get so traumatised by cartoons, lol.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I don't know why were stupid enough to try to win them in the first place.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What is it about He-Man/She-Ra in particular that brings these people out of the woodwork? A lot of shows have been rebooted/retooled over the years (TMNT alone has gone through several wildly different incarnations since its inception) yet for some reason it's this specific franchise that seems to bring out the most in the way of superficial complaints.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 29, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the easiest answer is that other big franchises have had reactionary fans getting angry at new things, but that happened a long time ago and people have made their peace with the fact that those franchises are more mutable, while He-Man never had a successful or notable reincarnation, so this was all ready to explode. I guess the rage against Thundercats Roar was similar, but that also had a few people who liked the mostly boring earlier cancelled reboot.

I'd also guess that maybe some aspects about the original He-Man may attract toxic masculinity, but I don't actually know anything about it other than unhealthy body image and being trash.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

MotU is high fantasy and high fantasy has grognards

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Tried to check a few pages back to see if anyone had talked about this, but the new Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts have a new 22 minute Halloween Special on Disney Plus.

It's....it's really, really good.

I have a bunch more screencaps I took of some of the wild takes and jokes, but I'd rather not spoil them because half the fun is the crazy rear end drawings. Please watch this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sliami posted:

MotU is high fantasy and high fantasy has grognards

Though reminds me that TG closed grognards.txt and it turns out the reactionary nerds really are an easily ignored vocal minority once you stop actively seeking them out and drawing attention. Clickbait sites love their misogynerd hot takes to the point where they definitely feed on each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though reminds me that TG closed grognards.txt and it turns out the reactionary nerds really are an easily ignored vocal minority once you stop actively seeking them out and drawing attention. Clickbait sites love their misogynerd hot takes to the point where they definitely feed on each other.

It's basically just a tightly-woven and self-reinforcing bullshit impeller network made up of about 15 to 20 YouTubers and like 3 websites that create most of this garbage and they get away with it because YouTube, Twitter and Reddit let them. They have a total reach of probably 500,000-600,000 people, and they all just regurgitate what the bullshit impeller network feeds them without question and occasionally it bleeds out into normal space.

They're all dorks in their 40s who get mad about children's cartoons for a living. The best response is to mock them... because they're dorks in their 40s who get mad about children's cartoons, and that is loving hilarious.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

They're all dorks in their 40s who get mad about children's cartoons for a living. The best response is to mock them... because they're dorks in their 40s who get mad about children's cartoons, and that is loving hilarious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the easiest answer is that other big franchises have had reactionary fans getting angry at new things, but that happened a long time ago and people have made their peace with the fact that those franchises are more mutable, while He-Man never had a successful or notable reincarnation, so this was all ready to explode. I guess the rage against Thundercats Roar was similar, but that also had a few people who liked the mostly boring earlier cancelled reboot.

I'd also guess that maybe some aspects about the original He-Man may attract toxic masculinity, but I don't actually know anything about it other than unhealthy body image and being trash.

Actually it’s just a harmless goofy kid’s show that some people take way too seriously (in fact more often than not the female characters are just as competent/important as the men if not more so).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 30, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also the original 80's He-Man and She-Ra shows aren't even that bad, like sure the animation is often incredibly stiff(but that makes sense when you know that Filmation had very tight animation budgets since they were trying to keep Animation alive in the US instead of outsourcing it like most studios) and yeah the writing is cheesy but it definitely is more entertaining than a lot of its contemporaries

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
not a kids cartoon but I have to assume it'll be relevant to thread interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btu0O47u3rY

makes me think of that OK KO crossover episode just, you know, with more eldritch horror.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TwoPair posted:

makes me think of that OK KO crossover episode just, you know, with more eldritch horror.

I saw some of the leaked concept art for this, and said "oh, it would be cool if that gets made; I hope it does."

I was not expecting it to get made and be filled with actual Cartoon Network and Hanna-Barbera characters with none of the serial numbers filed off.

In fairness, it's not like being turned into mindless, infectious zombies or horrifying shoggoths is really that out of the way for Finn & Jake or Steven Universe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For some reason they’re making an animated Garfield movie starring Chris Pratt as the titular feline:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/chris-pratt-garfield-movie-1235102216/

That staff list…does not fill me with confidence that this will be any less of a disaster than the live action movies were but we’ll see I suppose.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 2, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

For some reason they’re making an animated Garfield movie starring Chris Pratt as the titular feline:

drat, wow, I can't wait to not watch this.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Has a movie ever been released direct-to-airplane?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nameless Pete posted:

The other Garfield movies?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

That staff list…does not fill me with confidence that this will be any less of a disaster than the live action movies were but we’ll see I suppose.

I'm more okay with this because that's basically already his character from Parks and Recreation.

Rand Brittain posted:

I saw some of the leaked concept art for this, and said "oh, it would be cool if that gets made; I hope it does."

I was not expecting it to get made and be filled with actual Cartoon Network and Hanna-Barbera characters with none of the serial numbers filed off.

In fairness, it's not like being turned into mindless, infectious zombies or horrifying shoggoths is really that out of the way for Finn & Jake or Steven Universe.

I guess it's a little mixed-up from how the main characters are fake parodies so it's a bit weirder to mix them with preexisting characters. But I can't say it isn't cool. The battle scene at the end of the short has Johnny and Plank, Muriel, Samurai Jack, not-Lady Rainacorn, Buttercup, Lion, and Darwin Watterson. I guess the world of Gumball slides into this kind of concept even better, especially what with how the series "ended".

I generally love trying to mix characters from alternate styles, but the faux-Disney cat seems like it moves a bit too much.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Nameless Pete posted:

Well, there was a dub of My Neighbor Totoro that was made for a certain airline. It eventually came to VHS and was the version I saw as a child.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

If this does go series, and the response has been pretty good from what I see, they're going to have to be very careful about who gets 'norted cuz the horror of, say, T.O.M. eating poo poo will have dulled if we see whole worlds worth of named characters having done so previously.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 2, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it would ever be a series. A kick-rear end game though...

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I feel like not aiming this at kids (unchanged) is a small misstep. I've been saying for years that cartoons that start ripping off internet spooky and creepy things would be a smash loving hit. Kid these days are OBSESSED with youtube videos about random "creepy pastas" and horror games played by dudes who scream really loud at the jump scares. My little cousins, between the ages five and seven tell me all about slender man and siren head and god drat long horse. Had me pretending to be these things when I play chase them. And everyone already knows how popular FNAF and Bendy and poo poo is. All those all old stories like Ben Drowned and Herobrine still get retold by random you tuber dudes and anyone paying attention to the analytics know that this is all watched by like 7-13 year olds.

So yeah if this gets made it has a good chance of being a huge hit unless they really bungle the execution. Kids love that meta horror poo poo. Anyone making videos after the show starts like "THE SECRET BEHIND ______" or "[Plot mystery] EXPLAINED" is gonna likewise make mad views.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

So yeah if this gets made it has a good chance of being a huge hit unless they really bungle the execution. Kids love that meta horror poo poo. Anyone making videos after the show starts like "THE SECRET BEHIND ______" or "[Plot mystery] EXPLAINED" is gonna likewise make mad views.

good news this is already happening

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TwoPair posted:

You ever see something you think is really good, only to realize that there's no one in your life who could possibly appreciate it?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

You ever see something you think is really good, only to realize that there's no one in your life who could possibly appreciate it?

I just showed this to my wife who isn't a big animation fan and she really loved it. I think this will be a really big hit with a lot of people if/when they decide to make it a show.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm extremely into pibby should it become a thing but i'm already grimacing knowing the most annoying people in the world are also going to be way into it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I also kind of wonder if they would continue giving Pibby access to this entire huge library of IP to turn into a zombie horde if it were an actual show.

Or, really, if it's appropriate to have an extended sequence with Zombie Amethyst without getting Rebecca Sugar to sign off on it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm extremely into pibby should it become a thing but i'm already grimacing knowing the most annoying people in the world are also going to be way into it

I agree. There's something about inter-franchise projects that brings out the worst in some people (see Super Smash Bros., Kingdom Hearts).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Pibby is good, well made creepy pasta, the absolute last thing anyone should do to creepy pasta is try to extend it. Pibby works so well because it's a bunch of 3 second flashes of the most pivotal scenes in a story your mind can fill the blanks in for, it seems like it would be nothing but lame stretched out.

George Jetson with a weird glitched out face and slow sad music playing is a cool spooky thing to catch a glimpse of, it would lose impact really fast if they made more than like 5 minutes of this. Pibby is good as what it is!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's being pitched as a series, not a short, as far as i can tell. and i think the core concept can really work, especially because all the creepypasta crossover poo poo is more set dressing than it is the core concept of the character's journey.

...buuuuut everyone's going to fixate on that part of it, so

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kidcoelacanth posted:

it's being pitched as a series, not a short, as far as i can tell. and i think the core concept can really work, especially because all the creepypasta crossover poo poo is more set dressing than it is the core concept of the character's journey.

...buuuuut everyone's going to fixate on that part of it, so

Like the core concept can work because then it'd just be cartoon network kingdom hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like the core concept can work because then it'd just be cartoon network kingdom hearts.

CN Kingdom Hearts by way of [as] and creepypasta