Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

vegetables posted:

Some comedy writers use the term “jokoids” to describe things that have the structure and structural function of a joke, but which aren’t funny, and since I learned this I see them everywhere and it ruined my enjoyment of things a bit. Now it can ruin your enjoyment of things, too! You can definitely start seeing places where a writer has gone “there needs to be a joke here” and a jokoid has had to be used instead.

i didn't use this term, but was definitely aware of its existence

vegetables posted:

I don’t know if bad is quite the right word, because a “bad joke” can still provoke a strong reaction— I think it’s supposed to be more like an empty joke, which provokes no reaction at all. It’s not like a terrible pun that makes you sad for days.

So it has the rough delivery of a joke, and occurs in a place you would expect a joke to be, but there is nothing within it that could be considered funny. It’s more like a sign with “this is a joke” written on it. I think.

I am not a comedy writer or anything resembling one so may have this wrong, and I don’t know how subjective this is. It would be easy to just call all the jokes you personally don’t like jokoids, and looking around the internet I think people definitely do. But at the same time I think it is possible to construct something that looks like a joke that would elicit no real reaction from almost anybody, and that this probably does happen in comedy quite a bit?

dunno if this would count but that episode where homer broke his jaw and couldn't speak for a few weeks and this in turn made him a good listener. he's listening to abe tell one of his rambling stories and says the following (paraphrasing):

abe: "anyway, long story short, is a phrase whose history is long and complicated"

now, normally this would be a fine joke that someone like abe would say, but the thing is, homer is genuinely engaged in the story. it would have made more sense if he was stuck with abe against his will, thinking that his blabbering was coming to an end, only for him to realize he's not even close to getting out of the woods yet

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's when the joke is in the corner

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm just assuming it describes all those no-effort "jokes" that made up the scripts of the kids' cartoons that I grew up with, before like 2005 when they stopped treating their audience like amoebae.

"I've heard of X, but this is ridiculous!" kind of stuff

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

arent steroids used to kill parasites different from the muscle bulk ones? also did you skip Bort getting roid rage and being a tiny muscle boy or did that not happen?

The episode was more about gender disparity in weight. Lisa's weight gain gives her insecurity but Bart's opens a weird door for him. The bullies describe him as "carrying bulk" and he says it's because of the steroids but the show gives no indication he's gotten stronger, just that kids don't know the difference.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

vegetables posted:

I don’t know if bad is quite the right word, because a “bad joke” can still provoke a strong reaction— I think it’s supposed to be more like an empty joke, which provokes no reaction at all. It’s not like a terrible pun that makes you sad for days.

So it has the rough delivery of a joke, and occurs in a place you would expect a joke to be, but there is nothing within it that could be considered funny. It’s more like a sign with “this is a joke” written on it. I think.

I am not a comedy writer or anything resembling one so may have this wrong, and I don’t know how subjective this is. It would be easy to just call all the jokes you personally don’t like jokoids, and looking around the internet I think people definitely do. But at the same time I think it is possible to construct something that looks like a joke that would elicit no real reaction from almost anybody, and that this probably does happen in comedy quite a bit?

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2020/11/like-jokes.html?m=1

Ken Levine, comedy writer (including the Simpsons episodes Dancing Homer and Saturdays of Thunder, alongside M*A*S*H, Cheers, Frasier, and Wings - making him and his writing partner David Isaacs the only people to write for Frasier in all three series he appears in) talked about this very subject.

I think the key difference between a jokoid and a bad joke is that the jokoid only resembles humor, but it's lacking a core element. A bad joke just isn't funny.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Cemetry Gator posted:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2020/11/like-jokes.html?m=1

Ken Levine, comedy writer (including the Simpsons episodes Dancing Homer and Saturdays of Thunder, alongside M*A*S*H, Cheers, Frasier, and Wings - making him and his writing partner David Isaacs the only people to write for Frasier in all three series he appears in) talked about this very subject.

I think the key difference between a jokoid and a bad joke is that the jokoid only resembles humor, but it's lacking a core element. A bad joke just isn't funny.

Reminds me of the Workaholics list of banned phrases https://johnaugust.com/2016/the-workaholics-list-of-banned-phrases

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I appreciate this.

Used to make lists of people's overused "clever" phrases so I could be sure my teeth would be worn down to nubs by the end of every meeting. Silver lining of covid: no more of that

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

They sing her a parody of "Age of Aquarius" called "The Age of Who Gives a Crap?" It's atrocious.

That hurt just to read.

edit:
What on earth had to happen to get "I Absorbed My Twin In The Womb" specifically added to a list of banned phrases? :psyduck:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

YeahTubaMike posted:

What on earth had to happen to get "I Absorbed My Twin In The Womb" specifically added to a list of banned phrases? :psyduck:

it was one of Chandler's catchphrases. (I don't actually know.)

it's a season 11 joke, but Homer uses a bunch of those phrases while Apu is cooling his junk in the freezer, prompting him to say

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Almost all of these have been covered, intentionally, in Bojack. I love that show.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Das Boo posted:

Almost all of these have been covered, intentionally, in Bojack. I love that show.

And like 2/3 of them have been on How I Met Your Mother, and out of those all of them are Barney jokes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Calaveron posted:

And like 2/3 of them have been on How I Met Your Mother, and out of those all of them are Barney jokes

why did i watch all of that show

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mycophobia posted:

An extremely charismatic cast.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

mycophobia posted:

Seriously, I was tired of NPH just from the promos. I don't remember whether or not I actually watched it, but it definitely irked the poo poo out of me.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

dr. hibbert pulled off a pretty decent "i'll show myself out" in that crayon episode

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
The Simpsons rules! Took till about 15 seasons to hit its stride tho

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked it when the child denied ownership of a cow to his elders

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Heroin use? That's where I'm a viking!
-that one guy in The Wire, before being eaten by rats

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

now, normally this would be a fine joke that someone like abe would say, but the thing is, homer is genuinely engaged in the story. it would have made more sense if he was stuck with abe against his will, thinking that his blabbering was coming to an end, only for him to realize he's not even close to getting out of the woods yet

The whole point of that bit is that when homer is forced to actually listen to grandpas rambling stories without talking back they turn out to be interesting! And what could be more rambling than the origins of 'long story short' ! But it's actually interesting! My expectations!

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/jonobarnes/status/1454900207104270338?s=21

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Let that sink in for a bit.

There are now more Treehouse of Horrors than there are days in October.

⠀⠀There are now more Treehouse of Horrors than there are days in October.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ There are now more Treehouse of Horrors than there are days in October.

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ There are now more Treehouse of Horrors than there are days in October.

:suicide:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Now that's scary!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some day we'll be able to have an every Simpsons ever style marathon, where every half-hour of every day in October is filled with an episode of Treehouse of Horror. :allears:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
It improved when they let Nick Mullen write episodes. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pITqnuZIavg&t=1343s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hrist posted:

Some day we'll be able to have an every Simpsons ever style marathon, where every half-hour of every day in October is filled with an episode of Treehouse of Horror. :allears:

Isn't there a version of Bee Movie where every time you see one bee, it plays every episode of The Simpsons and is calculated to outlast the heat death of the universe?

e: Sorry, I missed a few steps.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Das Boo posted:

Isn't there a version of Bee Movie where every time you see one bee, it plays every episode of The Simpsons and is calculated to outlast the heat death of the universe?

LONGER THAN YOU THINK DAD

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's either that, or one unedited episode of Young Sheldon.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

You Are A Elf posted:

There are now more Treehouse of Horrors than there are days in October.

except during Spooky Leap Year, of course

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

and eventually they were squid gamed, by… oh, let’s say… Gil

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Did you guys see moe got back together with "Maya," his girlfriend from season 20.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Treehouse 3 opening credits executive producer “Awful Al Jean” and I nodded

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
I caught a bunch TOH episodes on accident the other night, 26, 27, and 28.

26 was ok, my low expectations were moderately exceeded (School Is Hell and A Clockwork Moe were almost good), 27 and 28 were pretty awful overall, especially considering the lazy and unnecessary casual racism in 'Homerzilla', not to mention how disjointed everything was.

I guess 2015 was just a different time...

DA-HOYYY
*collar tug

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Das Boo posted:

why spongebob played backwards though?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Horrifying

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Mr Interweb posted:

why spongebob played backwards though?