Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

Basically it's just a type of game that has never been before which is why I like it so much. Probably wouldn't like it AS much if there were actually good alternatives out there but there really aren't.

Yeah I agree with this, they tried this concept before with Steep but this is probably their best attempt at a "Forza but x-games" yet. It's definitely a lot of fun, just maybe not something I'll get dozens of hours out of. I am curious to see how they support it moving forward, the cosmetics shop is already there but I could see them introducing new sports as expansions in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

goferchan posted:

It's also on the Ubisoft+ subscription thing, which I have absolutely gotten my $15 worth from this month between Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Far Cry 6. IMO those are the perfect games for a service like that because I always enjoy playing them for a while but never come close to putting in the 100 hours to finish them.

Yeah I kind of doubt I'll ever buy another Ubisoft game again while it's priced like that. I guess if I owned it I probably would have tried jumping back in and trying to finish Valhalla, but I feel like not having it readily available is kind of saving me from myself in terms of feeling obligated to give a game I didn't enjoy all that much another chance. Plus I can always try it again when I resub for another game if the brain worms compel me.

I wish I felt as liberated by gamepass, but the whole closed infrastructure sealing your saves away thing fucks with my brain, so I don't like playing games there unless I'm 100% sure I'll beat them in the near future, especially since they might not even be there if I want to play again later. Given its length, that's why I haven't played Dragon Quest XI there in particular.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

Yeah I agree with this, they tried this concept before with Steep but this is probably their best attempt at a "Forza but x-games" yet. It's definitely a lot of fun, just maybe not something I'll get dozens of hours out of. I am curious to see how they support it moving forward, the cosmetics shop is already there but I could see them introducing new sports as expansions in the future.

Man I hope so. Skateboarding wouldn't go amiss, although there are more skateboarding games than any other extreme sports and they'd need a new set of animations. Surfing is impossible to do well in a video game.

e: Just looked it up and the first added sport DLC is going to be BMX. Which is pretty lame since there's already slopestyle. I assume they add a few new tricks and it could be fun but really it's just another slightly-different bike sport.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

explosivo posted:

I'm on Uplay+ right now to play rear end Creed Vikings so it's a good secondary game to play during that time but don't really see myself getting it outside of a deep sale.

What do you think of Valhalla? I'm playing it for the first time too, just finished the first region in England. I basically completed everything on the map and surprisingly had a really good time doing it although I can't see myself taking my time as much in all the future regions. I played a little bit of Odyssey and while these type of games aren't usually my bag, I respect a lot of the changes they've made. It's cool that gear is 100% unique items with set spawn points and that it can all be upgraded throughout the game. Even though a lot of them are really simple, doing the Mysteries is fun and every one being it's own unique little mini-quest makes clearing glowing spots off the map feel appealing. The controls still feel incredibly awkward to me, which has never really changed -- I'm constantly thinking things like "wait, am I sprinting or not right now?" or jumping to the wrong tree branch or whatever.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goferchan posted:

What do you think of Valhalla? I'm playing it for the first time too, just finished the first region in England. I basically completed everything on the map and surprisingly had a really good time doing it although I can't see myself taking my time as much in all the future regions. I played a little bit of Odyssey and while these type of games aren't usually my bag, I respect a lot of the changes they've made. It's cool that gear is 100% unique items with set spawn points and that it can all be upgraded throughout the game. Even though a lot of them are really simple, doing the Mysteries is fun and every one being it's own unique little mini-quest makes clearing glowing spots off the map feel appealing. The controls still feel incredibly awkward to me, which has never really changed -- I'm constantly thinking things like "wait, am I sprinting or not right now?" or jumping to the wrong tree branch or whatever.

I'm enjoying it, I think? I'm also still struggling with a lot of the controls but I'm still very early on- like I just founded the village, built some things, and went out to do some raiding. The tutorial island took some willpower to get through but now that I'm in the game proper I think I've been enjoying it more. I don't think it's something that would get me to extend my uplay+ another month or buy it at any current sale price so I'm not sure how deep I'll get into it but I am curious to see if the controls ever start to feel not awkward.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The thing I really dislike about new AC games despite looking amazing and having really active worlds is all the systems everywhere. Like 8 hours in to the game they are still introducing new mechanics. It's all too much and I just can't enjoy it anymore. I liked AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag to a certain extent, but I think AC2 is still the best of all of them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sinteres posted:

I wish I felt as liberated by gamepass, but the whole closed infrastructure sealing your saves away thing fucks with my brain, so I don't like playing games there unless I'm 100% sure I'll beat them in the near future, especially since they might not even be there if I want to play again later. Given its length, that's why I haven't played Dragon Quest XI there in particular.
They aren't sealed away at all though. In most cases, you can simply copy them across with a rename to the right format as a .sav and they will work with Steam as long as the developer used a similar build between platforms.

Go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages find the game by looking for <DeveloperName.GameName_IDstring> then navigate to \SystemAppData\wgs

The only difficulty is gamepass ids the saves with a numerical string but it's fairly easy to figure out the right one.

Edit:Here somebody on Steam made instructions for Dragon Quest XI

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 2, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Speaking of Rider's Republic; anyone else having some performance issues? I've got a 3070 and it plays great at 1440p on my monitor but when I output to my TV and try and play at 4k I get some drops to the steady 30-40 FPS range. I'd be fine accepting that the game just isn't well-optimized for 60fps 4k (can't get Valhalla to play nicely like that either) but the weird thing is that my GPU utilization is at like 50% when the game slows down. I'm going to try turning on Windows 10 "Game Mode" on and give it another shot; that setting seems to alternate between solving and fixing similar issues in games entirely at random

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rusty posted:

The thing I really dislike about new AC games despite looking amazing and having really active worlds is all the systems everywhere. Like 8 hours in to the game they are still introducing new mechanics. It's all too much and I just can't enjoy it anymore. I liked AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag to a certain extent, but I think AC2 is still the best of all of them.

I liked a lot of the gameplay loop of Odyssey and Origins, but starting with Odyssey it was starting to be a bit much. I really loved Origins, liked Odyssey and Valhalla just kinda failed to keep me interested for some reason. :(

Play
Apr 25, 2006

goferchan posted:

Speaking of Rider's Republic; anyone else having some performance issues? I've got a 3070 and it plays great at 1440p on my monitor but when I output to my TV and try and play at 4k I get some drops to the steady 30-40 FPS range. I'd be fine accepting that the game just isn't well-optimized for 60fps 4k (can't get Valhalla to play nicely like that either) but the weird thing is that my GPU utilization is at like 50% when the game slows down. I'm going to try turning on Windows 10 "Game Mode" on and give it another shot; that setting seems to alternate between solving and fixing similar issues in games entirely at random

There are definitely some issues I've noticed, mainly visual bugs and bad pop in/textures changing as you get closer. Also it doesn't have NEAR enough options which really annoys me. But I'm playing at 60 FPS 1080p and as far as framerate it has been very stable.

Have you checked CPU utilization? I heard that was the issue for a lot of people with FC6.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I once wanted to play assassins creed 3 but didn't want to play 3 without knowing the whole story, so I figured I'd go back and play 1 and 2 first

Then I found out that 2 was actually 3 games

So, 4 games and 160 hours later I start up ac3 only to find out hey, it sucks and I didn't want to play it. lol @ me

Edit - it seems like the consensus is that the ezio trilogy is pretty much the peak of the series (with a few other high points, like ship combat in black flag and, generally, Odyssey) so it certainly wasn't a wasted experience on my end. I'm mostly just impressed they're still making these

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 1, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh man I almost forgot about AC3. I have a friend who raves about it but the main character dude just kinda seemed like a dick and I had no interest in finishing his story arc whatsoever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1706166175

put this in the op so people stop complaing abotu all the stuff they can just remove

Yo thanks for this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Play posted:

There are definitely some issues I've noticed, mainly visual bugs and bad pop in/textures changing as you get closer. Also it doesn't have NEAR enough options which really annoys me. But I'm playing at 60 FPS 1080p and as far as framerate it has been very stable.

Have you checked CPU utilization? I heard that was the issue for a lot of people with FC6.

I switched to Windows 10 Game Mode, updated my video card drivers, and turned off vsync in-game and enabled it in the nvidia control panel, and now I'm getting 4k 60FPS with no issues except the occasional hitch when it's snowing. Not sure which one it was, but one of those things did it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I gotta say the Riders Republic "you have a jetsuit you can jump from anything into at any time, have fun" thing is making that a pretty tempting buy

wingsuit jump into a 900 :krad:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I gotta say the Riders Republic "you have a jetsuit you can jump from anything into at any time, have fun" thing is making that a pretty tempting buy

wingsuit jump into a 900 :krad:

Yeah the rocket wing is a crucial element, makes getting around so easy and fun. You can kind of scope out a place then ride it if you want, or just blast around between different items of interest like all the different kinds of events, chests, landmarks, stunts etc.

The sense of freedom in the game is definitely the best part of it

Surprisingly I haven't even really tried shifting directly from the rocket wing into some trick, that could be fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you've been playing and enjoying the bike parts of Riders Republic more than the rest of it I really have to give a shout-out to Descenders (also on Gamepass!). I discovered this game after the RR open beta because I really just wanted more insanely fast downhill races on a bike and that's exactly what this is. Mechanically they're similar but Descenders feels (obviously) a bit more focused on the bike mechanics and is just a ton of fun. They just put out a new update too that adds some new custom lobby options so I might have to check it out again with a friend of mine because that was kind of a pain in the rear end..

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I never really wanted to play deckbuilders in general but Inscryption is really cool. I do feel like the game's first act is easily the best, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

who are these caricatures of teens & young adults saying baffling things at me and when/where do i get the rocket wingsuit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hwurmp posted:

I never really wanted to play deckbuilders in general but Inscryption is really cool. I do feel like the game's first act is easily the best, though.

I enjoyed the whole game, though I do agree that was the best.

My favourite moment of the game was during the deletion sequence your game with Leshy where he sheds the murderous kidnapper schtick the adopted as a GM and just enjoys playing some cards with you for his last moments. "We don't need to keep score" indeed, Leshy.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed inscryption. I googled the metaplot because of the dangling loose ends, and connecting the loose ends seemed like it would have been fun, but the payoff reveal is lame.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That's weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prKNmAr-hhc

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1557480/Project_MIKHAIL_A_MuvLuv_War_Story/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll believe it when it releases. They've been teasing this game for decades

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reached the best ending for The Forgotten City after about 6-7 hours and I can say it's the real deal. Big recommend if you were a fan of The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time or any other dialogue-based narrative adventure game. I can't believe 4 people working off a Skyrim mod made something this good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
cool that it's starting to get some attention. it came out in july, but this or last week was the first time i heard goons talk about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It recently appeared on Gamepass, which is just about the only way someone could get me to play "okay so it's a Skyrim mod but really good no wait please don't go" without paying me for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
turns out that stuff devs say about gamepass exposure is true

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Is it considered bad form to buy Twitch giveaway keys off a reseller site? Or am I likely to get a black mark against my Steam account etc?

Always avoided them in the past because I didn't want stolen keys, but I might be less worried if I know they came from a legitimate giveaway.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Valve isn't going to care about anything that happens off their platform. Worst case scenario the key is rescinded but afaik Valve never takes any adverse action against accounts for revoked keys(as long as it wasn't a fraudulent action on their platform or a chargeback naturally).

It also seems very unlikely a developer or publisher is going to go out of their way to rescind keys they gave away but you are running the risk of getting a stolen or bad(used etc.) key.

If you can somehow guarantee the provenance and quality of a key I don't see any issue personally(giving money to shady resellers aside) but that's the rub

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 2, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The windows store version of Minecraft went up on gamepass today which is cool because I wanted to try the RTX stuff but my 15 year old mojang key is only good for the java version of minecraft. Anyway, is there a way to just play minecraft with RTX enabled or is it really only doable in these premade environments?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can enable RTX on your own worlds but you need to use a texture pack that has PBR channels for it to work

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

The windows store version of Minecraft went up on gamepass today which is cool because I wanted to try the RTX stuff but my 15 year old mojang key is only good for the java version of minecraft. Anyway, is there a way to just play minecraft with RTX enabled or is it really only doable in these premade environments?

Wasn't there a way to get yourself the Windows Store version of Minecraft if you only had the Java version, or did that go away? I feel like I did that, I've explored RTX Minecraft and I purchased Minecraft back in like the indev days.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You could, but it was a limited time deal that expired a while ago

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

repiv posted:

You can enable RTX on your own worlds but you need to use a texture pack that has PBR channels for it to work

Oh cool, thanks! I'm still not sure if I have another run of minecraft in me but it is fun messing around with it.

Protocol7 posted:

Wasn't there a way to get yourself the Windows Store version of Minecraft if you only had the Java version, or did that go away? I feel like I did that, I've explored RTX Minecraft and I purchased Minecraft back in like the indev days.

I think that offer's been rescinded unfortunately

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth you can use Optifine + SEUS PTGI for a similar effect in the Java version, but it won't use RT cores, but still looks amazing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Holy heck does Rider's Republic have a voice line for every grab + rotation combo you can pull?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

probably gonna pause again tbh, I do want Timelie and Turnip Boy but not sure I'd pay $12 just for those two

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Due Process: multiplayer only FPS lol that's a waste

I'm excited for other things in the bundle though! BPM! Project Wingman! Mobius Front! Wrath! All of these things on my wishlist and they're mine now, yesss

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Project Wingman owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ooh, Timelie was also on my wishlist:

quote:

Timelie is a stealth puzzle adventure, where you control time like a media player. Perceive future events to plan your escape strategy from the past, sneak an enemy, and manipulate time through this companionship journey of a mysterious cat and a little girl with a precognitive power.