Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
DfT clarify that the suggested new "no tampering" law for motorbikes was poorly worded and only refers to messing with emissions and noise, so exhausts likely to be on the chopping block but other mods shouldn't be affected. They also say it's likely to be retroactive so if you already own a bike that's now illegal it's your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

I know we shouldn't be surprised by stuff like this, but... loving lol...
https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1455256753084502020

OK but how long will he be spending in the airport lounge?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I got a free business class upgrade when I was 12 and my brother was 9. The best thing was that our dad didn’t get the upgrade and had to stay back in “pleb class”. They served us Parma ham.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was once travelling back from Bangkok after a bit of travel. I had entirely run out of cash and lost my cards, and had 24 hours in the airport give or take. I was loving starving and honestly considered shoplifting but that’s hardly advisable in Thailand, so I just suffered. I was literally scanning the floor for cash at one point.

Anyway, exhausted and miserable I get to the gate and don’t even notice I’ve been handed a new boarding pass. I sit in the gate until eventually I realise I’m one of the last left. Look at my ticket and lo and behold, business class baby. All my Christmases had come at once.

You better believe I ordered just about everything on the menu, endless manhattans, and took full advantage of the massage chair. When I woke up from my very brief sleep (literally just to test the ‘bed’, which was my seat laid totally flat and with a mattress and sheets and stuff on it), I had a continental breakfast followed by steak and eggs and washed down with champagne.

I was between two Scottish guys whose mate had dropped out and they remarked this must be my first time, presumably because I kept muttering things like ‘holy poo poo’ and ‘this is amazing’ and looking at them as if to say ‘CAN YOU loving BELIEVE THIS WOW’ every time I found some new button or gizmo or menu to choose something free from.

Anyway, probably the last time I do that, but it was an awesome experience. I literally can’t imagine first class. I presume you’re getting a blowjob and a massage literally the entire time while having IV heroin pumped into your veins.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

I literally can’t imagine first class. I presume you’re getting a blowjob and a massage literally the entire time while having IV heroin pumped into your veins.

Think that's only on FlyEpstein

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once got a first class ticket during the breif time when the ECML was nationalized, and it was very swank, antimassacres on the seats and free sarnie, dead lush.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

antimassacres on the seats

These do make cleanup much easier after any massacres

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I once got a first class ticket during the breif time when the ECML was nationalized, and it was very swank, antimassacres on the seats and free sarnie, dead lush.

If you can’t even massacre some proles is it even first class?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

For ages before the first bankruptcy you could upgrade to first class for like a tenner on most services if you prebooked and you could make the money back on free tea and biscuits before you got to Peterborough.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I once got to sit in seat 01A on a plane but it wasn’t first class, just a budget flight with the same class seats all the way through

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

TACD posted:

I once got to sit in seat 01A on a plane but it wasn’t first class, just a budget flight with the same class seats all the way through

Still, if the plane goes down you’re probably the first passenger to be pulverised so that’s nice

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fanciest plane experience I had was flying KLM because they gave you a complementary cheese Sandwich and cup of water.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Covid anti-vaxxers are refusing to pay tax bills mistakenly thinking they are immune from prosecution

quote:

A number of Covid conspiracists have started abstaining from paying utility bills and their council tax in protest against the “tyranny” they claim to live under in the UK, according to messages posted to Telegram.

Groups on the social media platform – where thousands of Covid anti-vaxxers congregate and organise protests – have started branching out from discussing conspiracy theories about coronavirus and the vaccine and have begun justifying the reasons for no longer paying their bills.

Many have a misguided belief they will not face prosecution for cancelling their payments, thanks in part to disinformation spread by an influencer on the platform with a significant following who claims stopping the payment of council tax will put pressure on the Government to scrap the Coronavirus Act.

:allears:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

quote:

The woman charges users £75 for one-hour one-to-one calls, or £20 minimum for group Zoom calls, and claims she has not paid her own council tax, water, energy or television bills in a year, but alleges she is still able to use the services.
pahahahah

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
That's the thing with THESE PEOPLE... They make out as if they want to be free from some evil tyranny and are fighting for the greater good, but ultimately everything is just about getting their own way, facing no consequences and getting stuff for free.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Death & Taxes... don't they understand?!?!? :byodood:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Perfect Element posted:

That's the thing with THESE PEOPLE... They make out as if they want to be free from some evil tyranny and are fighting for the greater good, but ultimately everything is just about getting their own way, facing no consequences and getting stuff for free.

Ah, they sound like perfect candidates for Tory backbenchers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I also want to get my own way, get free stuff, and face no consequences.

But getting vaccinated is a step towards achieving that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Perfect Element posted:

100%, it's loving maddening.

You can tell because the second you show them a real injustice (which they invariably have never experienced themselves) they couldn't give less of a poo poo or frankly consider it a good thing

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Not paying your taxes is probably the one thing that would bring actual consequences, if you're not filthy rich at least

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I guess it's just a question of which reality hits them first - a tax evasion court summons or covid pnumonia....

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For ages before the first bankruptcy you could upgrade to first class for like a tenner on most services if you prebooked and you could make the money back on free tea and biscuits before you got to Peterborough.

Wait wait wait, you've been north of Barnet? Way to destroy my image of you breaking out in hives when you pass Watford Gap Services.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He goes in a trenchcoat with the pockets stuffed full of thames mud.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is this not a thing at all anymore then? I used to get first class for a few quid extra all the time, but now you mention it I probably haven't in the last 5 years.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jakabite posted:

I was once travelling back from Bangkok after a bit of travel. I had entirely run out of cash and lost my cards, and had 24 hours in the airport give or take. I was loving starving and honestly considered shoplifting but that’s hardly advisable in Thailand, so I just suffered. I was literally scanning the floor for cash at one point.

Anyway, exhausted and miserable I get to the gate and don’t even notice I’ve been handed a new boarding pass. I sit in the gate until eventually I realise I’m one of the last left. Look at my ticket and lo and behold, business class baby. All my Christmases had come at once.

You better believe I ordered just about everything on the menu, endless manhattans, and took full advantage of the massage chair. When I woke up from my very brief sleep (literally just to test the ‘bed’, which was my seat laid totally flat and with a mattress and sheets and stuff on it), I had a continental breakfast followed by steak and eggs and washed down with champagne.

I was between two Scottish guys whose mate had dropped out and they remarked this must be my first time, presumably because I kept muttering things like ‘holy poo poo’ and ‘this is amazing’ and looking at them as if to say ‘CAN YOU loving BELIEVE THIS WOW’ every time I found some new button or gizmo or menu to choose something free from.

Anyway, probably the last time I do that, but it was an awesome experience. I literally can’t imagine first class. I presume you’re getting a blowjob and a massage literally the entire time while having IV heroin pumped into your veins.

It's basically the same but with more grovelling to be honest. Some airlines let you do ridiculous bullshit like pre-order whatever food you want for the flight. I saw a booking once that specified 'lobster and whisky' as the inflight meal.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I've never travelled first class. Hell, only times I've used the sleeper train I didn't even have a bed, was in the seating area.

When I win the lottery I'm deffo going to go on some transcontinental flight in first class. Don't even really care where. Maybe Tokyo but also maybe somewhere where I can just sit on the beach (in some shade obviously) & catch up on some reading.

Mostly I just like the idea of turning up for a flight that cost £7k in sweatpants & a ratty old hoodie.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There's https://seatfrog.com/ for the trains, maybe other ways to do it too. Where you can sort of cheekily upgrade for cheap at the last minute sometimes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Wait wait wait, you've been north of Barnet? Way to destroy my image of you breaking out in hives when you pass Watford Gap Services.

I was the first tourist in the history of Aberdeen.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I once got upgraded to first class on a flight to singapore and you basically had your own little cubicle with walls all round your seat which could fully recline flat. It was loving amazing.

My dad used to travel a lot for work and I think that put us up the list on getting upgraded because it happened a few times, but normally just to economy + or business.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Miftan posted:

It's basically the same but with more grovelling to be honest. Some airlines let you do ridiculous bullshit like pre-order whatever food you want for the flight. I saw a booking once that specified 'lobster and whisky' as the inflight meal.

That is mental but I’d absolutely be ordering something loving ridiculous if I was in that position.

I always thought first had your own little room with like an actual bed, is that not the case?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a nice train line at least. Not Fort William to Mallaig or Dingwall to Kyle or Inverness to Perth but it is nice

Jakabite posted:

That is mental but I’d absolutely be ordering something loving ridiculous if I was in that position.

I always thought first had your own little room with like an actual bed, is that not the case?

Yes, but depends on the length of the flight. You aren't getting a bed from London to Barcelona but you are if it's to Asia or the Americas.

Yes, sometimes I watch Youtube videos by people who seem to spend their lives flying around the world on airmiles.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 2, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Liar. We still haven't had one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Liar. We still haven't had one.

I looked at a boat and some granite buildings, then wandered round a shopping centre, and I feel like I have supped as deeply from the cup of Aberdeen as is possible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I looked at a boat and some granite buildings, then wandered round a shopping centre, and I feel like I have supped as deeply from the cup of Aberdeen as is possible.

Didn't get to go to Codona's?

TBH probably the best part of Aberdeen is the ferry to the Northern Isles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Didn't get to go to Codona's?

TBH probably the best part of Aberdeen is the ferry to the Northern Isles.

I don't think I got further than a hundred yards from the station. I did take quite a lot of pictures that came out really nicely - then promptly lost them all in a hard drive crash. TBH I think the universe itself couldn't accept the concept of Aberdeen tourism and so set out to destroy all evidence of it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I used to travel for work fairly often, and went business class to Brisbane with Cathay Pacific which was great. Being able to stretch out and sleep made the time travelling bearable. Also, using the showers at the Hong Kong lounge during my layover made such a difference to the experience.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have never, ever been able to fall asleep on a plane, and I once fell asleep in Corp in Sheffield

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TACD posted:

I have never, ever been able to fall asleep on a plane, and I once fell asleep in Corp in Sheffield

I saw Marduk in the Corp. I also went to a club night there and mostly got mad it was the same as every rock night from Aberdeen to Penzance: why do rock night DJs still think nu-metal needs to be a thing? I swear they singlehandedly kept Drowning Pool from being forgotten like they deserve.

Also my flatmate at the time had her drink spiked so that was awful.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

These do make cleanup much easier after any massacres

I mean the actual things are to prevent staining the seats with the hair pomade you are definitely using because it's still 1955 (or 1855) :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I enjoy staying up late and so every longhaul flight I always make sure to get an aisle seat and just chain catch up on reading, films etc. It got a lot easier in recent years with Internet access.

I read the entire works of pratchett thanks to this thread over 9 months of hopping around the world for work. I'm 6'1 and broad shouldered so planes are hell, especially as I had undiagnosed adhd at the time, the only way to keep sanity is to absorb myself into a good bit of media.