Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

At least Czechs and Slovaks still have the disgusting Kofola, to surprise unwary travelers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Phlegmish posted:

At least Czechs and Slovaks still have the disgusting Kofola, to surprise unwary travelers

Kofola is great, actually.

Yes I'm Czech why do you ask.

(but no seriously it's far better than most off-brand coke drinks)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, we were shithead college kids back then, maybe I should go back and try it now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

One feature of globalised capitalism is that people are increasingly consuming the same stuff anywhere in the world. Travelling actually gets quite a bit more boring because of that.

So do you want everybody to stay in place while you get to travel?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So do you want everybody to stay in place while you get to travel?

Yes. This would be fantastic

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

they still don't have mcdonalds in albania if that matters to you at all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's kinda fun seeing ubiquitous crap like McDonald's vary country-to-country tbh.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's kinda fun seeing ubiquitous crap like McDonald's vary country-to-country tbh.
Like how there isn't a rye bun option outside the Nordic countries.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

And how only Dutch McD has the McKroket.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which of us hasn't sat in public in a foreign land, sunburned, sweating, stuffing our faces with french fries, wearing an American flag t shirt??

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I was reading about mutual intelligibility and found this map here:

As I understand it the regional dialects of Switzerland is harder for speakers of regular German to understand even though they learn standard German in school, so I feel the map should maybe account for that as well as Austrian German being different, I'm not sure how different it is but I feel it's different enough to be accounted for, especially since Norwegian is counted as two languages even though Nynorsk and Bokmål are just two different writing standards, not different languages. I'm pretty sure there's more errors in this map but those are just the ones that stand out for me.

Also Åland, Gotland and Bornholm are gone in this map for some reason.

Fake edit: I just realized Stockholm is missing in this map as well, seems like the Baltic sea have completely submerged it, to be honest I feel it's an improvement but still.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 1, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The romance arrows should point the other way :colbert: I think I've said it before in this thread, but I can understand spanish and italian decently well and read them really well, whereas flipping it, everyone native to those languages I've talked to finds french to be a throaty mess not suitable for human speech.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Norwegian, Faroese and Icelandic are often grouped together as West Norse, Swedish and Danish East Norse. But Norwegians understand Swedish and Danish fairly well, while Faroese and Icelandic are incomprehensible. Faroese and Icelanders understand Danish pretty well because they learn it in school I think, probably the former more so than the latter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How close are (Irish) Gaelic and Welsh really? I always thought they belonged to quite different groups of Celtic languages.

e: specifically, I would assume Welsh is closer to Breton.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kamrat posted:

As I understand it the regional dialects of Switzerland is harder for speakers of regular German to understand even though they learn standard German in school, so I feel the map should maybe account for that as well as Austrian German being different, I'm not sure how different it is but I feel it's different enough to be accounted for

The German part makes me doubt the entire map. I'm not a native speaker, but I learned standard German pretty well in school and Swiss German is completely incomprehensible nonsense. It may as well be another language. Austrians and Bavarians are very hard to understand. Dutch is somewhat difficult to understand when spoken, but fairly easy to read.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah Swiss German is crazy different, talk to anyone outside of a train station and it's incomprehensible until you reveal that you are not local, then they will speak "standard" German for you.

Bavarian/Austrian are weird sounding to me but not incomprehensible, it's more like a very thick accent with some funny dialect words but not the different beast that Swiss German is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I find reading German to be strangely annoying, because it's close enough to Dutch that you will instinctively try to read it 'as is', without mentally translating, but it's also different enough that that's not actually possible without knowing the language well, and you end up getting frustrated. Particularly, it is full of false friends, words that are clearly etymologically related to ones I know in my native language, but that have come to mean something else entirely. I really should get around to learning German properly when I have the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

How close are (Irish) Gaelic and Welsh really? I always thought they belonged to quite different groups of Celtic languages.

e: specifically, I would assume Welsh is closer to Breton.

About as close as latin and greek afaik. Related yes. Sibling languages no. Irish and scottish gaelic are one group, welsh, cornish, breton, and manx are the other.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

About as close as latin and greek afaik. Related yes. Sibling languages no. Irish and scottish gaelic are one group, welsh, cornish, breton, and manx are the other.

Greek is not a Romance language my man.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grape posted:

Greek is not a Romance language my man.

Where the gently caress did I say greek was a romance language? It's indo-euro and has a lot of similarities to latin. It's not romance.

Although I looked at a language tree just now and it isn't the greatest comparison. Greek and latin are more distinct than welsh and irish. It's more like english and swedish, clearly linked but not nearly the same.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Someone put out a "realistic" high-speed rail map for the United States

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1440360816214044673

This spawned quite a bit of discourse (check the quote retweets if you want to see dozens of people lamenting the death of American ambition), cause this is the most depressing imaginary rail map anyone's posted since these hypothetical HSR maps became a trend.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The U.S. has famously never had an interest in connecting the Great Lakes to the Atlantic coast.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This comes up around the CA HSR. Setting aside the issues of implementation, which are legion, certain sorts of dipshits are like, "It should just follow I-5 through the west valley desert between SF and LA rather than going through the Central Valley." The idea that transit infrastructure should only connect existing metros rather than integrating wider-flung regions with said metros is classic blindered city bullshit. In the case of California, there are 9 million people in the Central Valley who would benefit from having easier access to the coastal population centers, in the same way the people in between SF and Portland would, and in the same way people in between Houston, Atlanta, and Chicago would.

Jfc, Chicago is the only city on that map that's on the Mississippi. This is ridiculous.

e: Don't worry he updated it

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1440781283714424839

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 2, 2021

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Kamrat posted:

As I understand it the regional dialects of Switzerland is harder for speakers of regular German to understand even though they learn standard German in school, so I feel the map should maybe account for that as well as Austrian German being different, I'm not sure how different it is but I feel it's different enough to be accounted for, especially since Norwegian is counted as two languages even though Nynorsk and Bokmål are just two different writing standards, not different languages. I'm pretty sure there's more errors in this map but those are just the ones that stand out for me.

Also Åland, Gotland and Bornholm are gone in this map for some reason.

Fake edit: I just realized Stockholm is missing in this map as well, seems like the Baltic sea have completely submerged it, to be honest I feel it's an improvement but still.

I refuse to believe that Danish is intelligible to anyone outside of Denmark. Perhaps Skåne. (insert kamelåsa video here).

Losing Åland would be a problem, as we get our potato chips from there.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Kamrat posted:

since Norwegian is counted as two languages even though Nynorsk and Bokmål are just two different writing standards, not different languages.

Nynorsk/Bokmål has been a shorthand for the dialect groups that use them for about as long as the terms existed.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

if any major country is going to fall apart on the basis of regionalism, it’s India lol. It already happened (and then happened to the country which splintered).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kenning posted:

This comes up around the CA HSR. Setting aside the issues of implementation, which are legion, certain sorts of dipshits are like, "It should just follow I-5 through the west valley desert between SF and LA rather than going through the Central Valley." The idea that transit infrastructure should only connect existing metros rather than integrating wider-flung regions with said metros is classic blindered city bullshit. In the case of California, there are 9 million people in the Central Valley who would benefit from having easier access to the coastal population centers, in the same way the people in between SF and Portland would, and in the same way people in between Houston, Atlanta, and Chicago would.

Jfc, Chicago is the only city on that map that's on the Mississippi. This is ridiculous.

The US: must have sustainable ridership so the trains can turn a profit
Also the US: appropriates ten gigagillion dollars for more tanks as the army yells "please, we do not need more tanks, they're going straight to the desert warehouse"

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Kenning posted:

They're not wrong though? A key feature of HSR is that the trains don't stop for every town along the way because the easiest way to go fast is to not stand still. Look at France or Germany, they're quite happy to skip towns along HSR routes.

What you're proposing here is that California (and other places) should build regular regional/intercity passenger rail systems instead of HSR.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 2, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Meanwhile, there are plans for a Beijing-Moscow HSR line, not to mention all the connective work being done in Europe to get through some pretty difficult terrain to connect urban centres.

Also, Morocco has more HSR than the USA, plus Egypt is building more.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Phlegmish posted:

Well, we were shithead college kids back then, maybe I should go back and try it now.

it's very mild and kinda just inoffensive to be honest, I was mostly joking

I don't mind drinking it though, especially in summer it can be nice

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US: must have sustainable ridership so the trains can turn a profit
Also the US: appropriates ten gigagillion dollars for more tanks as the army yells "please, we do not need more tanks, they're going straight to the desert warehouse"

I believe the tanks thing is because you need to produce a volume of tanks every year, or you lose the knowhow, practices, toolls, etc.. to craft tanks in volume. Kind of like some industries can't stop or restarting production is very expensive ( aluminum factory?).

Yea tanks are produced and then store in the desert, where they rot.

Tanks are not the most important asset in wars, infantry have many tools to destroy a tank and air forces even more. But are still in use in every conflict for the parties that have them.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kamrat posted:

What's up with that random language in northern Greece -- looks like Italian or Romanian? It looks like it might be Aromanians, a group I'd never heard of but numbers approximately 30k according to Wikipedia?

The map is weird not only for having Swiss German not highlighted separately (or Luxembourgish), but also including languages that are only spoken by like five people at home, like Welsh, but not others that are only spoken by a few thousand people in a couple villages, like Romansch.

They also highlight huge regions for languages like Occitan and "Galloitalic" where you could live your entire life in those regions and never, ever hear those languages spoken even a single time. So Occitania gets a huge swath of a region where you'd never hear anything besides French, but Swiss German is lumped in with regular German? Yeah definitely makes me skeptical of the rest of the map. Neat idea, hard to do properly.

E: I also like "Arabo" for North Africa... which also seems to be the same color as Syria, despite that North African Arabic and Middle Eastern Arabic are not mutually comprehensible, and yet Spanish and Italian get different colors. Poor Malta has sunken into the sea.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 2, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PawParole posted:

if any major country is going to fall apart on the basis of regionalism, it’s India lol. It already happened (and then happened to the country which splintered).

India’s done a really really good job at building a national identity actually.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

perhaps the color has something to do with the origin?, like all green descending from latin, latin languages

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Maybe, but if you compare it to China then it's really factitious.

There might be exceptions in Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang, but those aside you won't hear your average Chinese person saying they're not Chinese.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

They're not wrong though? A key feature of HSR is that the trains don't stop for every town along the way because the easiest way to go fast is to not stand still.

Fresno isn’t a town the size of Metz. It’s a town the size of Lyon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Not in any objective sense, but considering what they have to work with, absolutely. Too bad it seems to be increasingly based on Hindu cultural nationalism.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Re: Swiss German, the map says it wants to depict dialect continua, and in that sense it is indeed not possible to draw a line between Swiss German and "standard" German. If you go strictly by local dialect (which is still spoken by plenty of people especially in southern Germany) then there is virtually no difference at all in speech when you cross the border either to Switzerland or Austria. The main issue here is that virtually everybody in Switzerland speaks dialect and a significant portion of people in Austria do as well, whereas dialect usage in Germany has been on the decline for decades now, generally going (with some exceptions) in a north-south line with the north having the least dialect speakers and the southern states of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg the most, which all in all makes it seem like Swiss/Austrian German and German German are two fundamentally different things.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Platystemon posted:

...Which SNCF quite happily passes by, en route to Marseille or Montpellier.

The French way of building HSR is admittedly a bit extreme, but the point still stands that going through the Central Valley made it slower, opened CHSR up to a lot more delays and made it a lot more expensive. None of these help to make it a meaningful alternative to flying between the Bay Area and L.A.

CA might very well be better served by a boring old Intercity service with better coverage. The fundamental issue is that when designing railways the trilemma is:
  • Go fast
  • Stop often
  • Cheap and doesn't require massive eminent domain acquisitions
Pick two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

The entire Île-de-France region is like 66% of the NYC area population. French population densities are weird.