Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
absolutely nothing wrong with a prebuild in these conditions. there's a reason the title is the way it is lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

CoolCab posted:

absolutely nothing wrong with a prebuild in these conditions. there's a reason the title is the way it is lol

In that case, could use a quick opinion.

Edit: new pc. https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala267/p/N82E16883360201?item=N82E16883360201&cm_sp=homepage_ss-_-p4_83-360-201-_-11012021&quicklink=true + a replacement cooler.

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 1, 2021

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I'm wondering if it would be worth adding another 2x4 gb of ram to my setup. I have an older machine that I use for midrange gaming (not a priority at all) and the specs are fine for that, but I'm going to be using it for more coding now with multiple docker containers running simultaneously. I also already ran into some serious lag with some bare minimum video editing the other day, and it could be the ram was a limiting factor..

Current machine is:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 CL14 Memory
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card
Case: Zalman ZM-T4 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

and I'm based in Germany.

I don't have the budget for a proper upgrade, nor am I going to do it in the next 1-2 years due to the overall hardware market.

It looks like my mobo maxes out at DDR4-2133 for ram, as far as I can tell -- would I see any benefit to replacing the ram entirely or throwing another 2x4GB sticks of DDR4-2133 in there? Budget would be maybe 50-60 euros and I can see some 2x8gb at DDR4-2133 for around that amount.

I'm also not sure if, when adding an extra pair of 2x4GB, it needs to match anything beyond DDR4-2133? Do timings matter at that level? I haven't checked inside my case recently but I'm 90% sure the ram that's in there would already be in parallel

Thanks!

boofhead fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 1, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070ti-16gb-and-rtx-3080-12gb-to-be-announced-mid-december-launch-mid-january

If this is true RIP my GPU friends. The top of OP continues to be relevant.

This is almost certainly a move to raise MSRP on the base SKUs and phase out the current FE MSRPs. Expect AIBs to also go crazy as well.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, that seems fine. I'm still a bit nervous about buying a PC I can't see the insides of, but that's actually a pretty good deal. It says the motherboard is an "mATX" board which is a standard form factor—basically, no weird proprietary poo poo, which is good.

I went and ordered that one, as they came in stock today. Thanks for all the help! A friend got a spare 1TB SSD and gave it to me so that is the space issue sorted. Now to stuff all my crap into Google Drive while waiting for the machine to arrive.
Power has some dubious things they sell, the basic super expensive extra insurances etc, and also a 60€ service to make the machine "gaming ready". This seemed to include updating Windows and drivers and jack squat else.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070ti-16gb-and-rtx-3080-12gb-to-be-announced-mid-december-launch-mid-january

If this is true RIP my GPU friends. The top of OP continues to be relevant.

This is almost certainly a move to raise MSRP on the base SKUs and phase out the current FE MSRPs. Expect AIBs to also go crazy as well.

Ehhh, this also says they're ramping up production of 12gb 2060s and the 3050 and 3050 ti is still likely. Lower to midrange availability will probably improve while the higher end gets even more hosed

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Ehhh, this also says they're ramping up production of 12gb 2060s and the 3050 and 3050 ti is still likely. Lower to midrange availability will probably improve while the higher end gets even more hosed

I don’t doubt that. Low range always gets better later as those cards get introduced last, if anyone can get them in this market.

I’m saying this is the excuse to push 3070/3080 class card MSRP even higher because they clearly underpriced based on demand.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I built my PC back in late 2018 and have a Ryzen 5 2600, RTX 2080 AND 16GB ram (a pair of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP4L3D7). I play at 1440p ultrawide. I don't get the performance I expect from my card at times, is it possible that my CPU is bottlenecking? The last two games that lag are FFXIV when I'm near a lot of other players and Microsoft Flight simulator. Should I upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 series?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Being near a lot of other players in an mmo as well as flight simulator general gameplay are two textbook examples of cpu bottlenecks, upgrading to something like a 5600x will give you a stratospheric uplift in your minimum frames

What board do you have, if it's not too old, a simple bios update might be all you need to do to be 5000 series ready

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this is my board: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450-PLUS/

Willing to throw another $500 at my PC to squeak out another few years, open to suggestions

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 1, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Flight Simulator is pretty much the most intensive game going so at 1440p ultrawide with a 2080 it's going to run slowly at times regardless of any CPU upgrade. Personally I'd wait until the new CPUs from both Intel and AMD before deciding how to upgrade.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

gay_crimes posted:

this is my board: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450-PLUS/

Willing to throw another $500 at my PC to squeak out another few years, open to suggestions

Ye a bios update should get that running a 5600x no problem, plus 3600mhz memory which the 5000 series really benefits from

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ye a bios update should get that running a 5600x no problem, plus 3600mhz memory which the 5000 series really benefits from

Any reason to go for something more expensive than the 5600x in the 5000 line?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Flight Simulator is pretty much the most intensive game going so at 1440p ultrawide with a 2080 it's going to run slowly at times regardless of any CPU upgrade. Personally I'd wait until the new CPUs from both Intel and AMD before deciding how to upgrade.

I should have phrased by post better, my rig was first laggy on MFS but lately it's been bugging me in FFXIV. If I can get better performance in my mmo, I'll be fine for a couple of years until PC parts are either all impossible to buy or we enter the land of plenty and can all get 3080s and DDR5 ram sticks and so on without a bunch of container ships sitting around clogging it all up

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
games don't really take very much advantage of more cores, even games that are "good" at using more can't use more indefinitely. to be honest even 4 cores/8 threads with a modern architecture and such - i'm thinking of the 3300x - was more than adequate in the overwhelming majority of titles. games tend to respond more to single thread performance, so a 5600x is the cheapest entry point to that most modern architecture.

if you have something else to do with the machine, productivity like video editing or unpackaging or compiling poo poo or whatever, more cores are obviously more better. they can scale much much better. it's just games that this is so strong on.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
2600 -> 5600x is a legit upgrade, tons of people are sticking with the 3600 family because the upgrade isn't as big an uplift but that move will provide a noticeable jump i would anticipate. nothing at all wrong with a 2600 don't get me wrong but yeah having to draw a trillion different models is very cpu heavy. same with like a ton of physics objects.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're replacing anything, I would replace the CPU and nothing else at first. Either with the 5600X, or wait a few months and see what AMD's upcoming CPUs look like with their stacked cache design.

A memory upgrade could help, but it's unclear by how much. I usually recommend a new PC build uses 3600 speed memory, when you're spending $20 extra over 3200, but it's less clear to me that buying new 3600 to replace RAM you already own would be worth it, especially at higher resolutions. Even in conditions that are specially crafted to be as favorable toward RAM upgrades, the improvements between slower and faster memory are often in the single-digit percents (comparing the DDR-3200 CL16 with the DDR-3600 CL14 - those kits are much more expensive btw).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

gay_crimes posted:

Any reason to go for something more expensive than the 5600x in the 5000 line?

Anything beyond a 5600X are pretty much for productivity and live streaming. If you don't do much of either of those, it is heavily recommended that you get a 5600X.

The difference between a 5600X and a 5900X in gaming is virtually nil. There are many, many youtube videos comparing a 5600X to a 5900X in just games, and they are identical. Games simply aren't making use of the extra threads. Those threads can be used for other programs and apps, hence why the 5900X is the darling for streamers and productivity-oriented folks.

Also, don't forget a big advantage of the 5600X is its low power consumption, it is 65W compared to 105W for the 5800X, so it runs cooler and can conceivably overclock higher with the right cooling solution.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Thanks, I'll scoop up a 5600x and report back

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

hey I build PCs and stuff but haven't had the money in a while-

current desktop is an older, expensive mobo, cheap everything else, kind of deal, I'm looking to do some upgrades!
it's a Socket 1155 board, currently housing a cheap dual-core Pentium G620 that's near the capability floor here-

It'll handle on up to an i7-3770[k/t/s]- an i5 would be an appreciable upgrade, but:
-there seems to be roughly a, G620 @ $20 -> i3 @ $45 -> i5 @ $75 -> i7-3770 @ $125 -> i7-3770K @ $175, cost progression (amazon/newegg prices, refurb)
-the only other place I can find socket 1155 CPUs on is ebay, which is cheaper, but I can't afford a dud

How much is the performance progression worth? Where's the sweet spot here? I want same computer, but faster, for coding and for ck3/dwarf fortress-type gaming reasons.
And also, I'm out of the old parts game to where I think I was last buying Athlon XPs to make servers- is there a treasure trove of 1155s from a reputable source out there? like- maybe a decent particular ebay seller or what have you?

(it's also got 8GB of rly slow-rear end RAM but ddr3 memory seems to still be everywhere)
RAM edit: okay actually with some research I've gotten as far as "avoid nemix" and "crucial/micron is still good"- this board will take 4x8GB at upwards of 2400, could a hundo get me there without the shittiest chips possible?

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 2, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

hey I build PCs and stuff but haven't had the money in a while-

current desktop is an older, expensive mobo, cheap everything else, kind of deal, I'm looking to do some upgrades!
it's a Socket 1155 board, currently housing a cheap dual-core Pentium G620 that's near the capability floor here-

It'll handle on up to an i7-3770[k/t/s]- an i5 would be an appreciable upgrade, but:
-there seems to be roughly a, G620 @ $20 -> i3 @ $45 -> i5 @ $75 -> i7-3770 @ $125 -> i7-3770K @ $175, cost progression (amazon/newegg prices, refurb)
-the only other place I can find socket 1155 CPUs on is ebay, which is cheaper, but I can't afford a dud

How much is the performance progression worth? Where's the sweet spot here? I want same computer, but faster, for coding and for ck3/dwarf fortress-type gaming reasons.
And also, I'm out of the old parts game to where I think I was last buying Athlon XPs to make servers- is there a treasure trove of 1155s from a reputable source out there? like- maybe a decent particular ebay seller or what have you?

(it's also got 8GB of rly slow-rear end RAM but ddr3 memory seems to still be everywhere)

LGA 1155 really isn't worth the upgrade cost, since the architecture is over a decade old at this point. I would spec out a newer machine and go from there, especially with Windows 11's TPM 2.0 requirement. Since Windows 10 will not enjoy the long end of support window before being completely deprecated, upgrading fully is probably worth it to you. You can still get away with this without totally breaking the bank, as it's mostly GPUs that are gouged to gently caress, and if your current GPU makes you happy, you should be able to subsist on it fine while greatly increasing the performance of everything else you do with your PC. If you give us a dollar amount, we can probably work with getting a list of recommended parts for a variety of price ranges.

E: for example, the cheapest 10th gen Core i3 chip, the Intel Core i3-10100F is has double the cores, and 4 times the threads as your G620, and is over 8 times as powerful in computing tasks. The Core i3-10100F is a 94 dollar part right now on Amazon. If you can find a few hundred dollars total to upgrade, it will be very, very worth your while to consider a full upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX8070...s%2C1178&sr=8-1

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 2, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah it's a super dead socket, but I feel like you can get a pretty big boost by upgrading from a low-end dual-core CPU to one of the better CPUs that are compatible with their board. It won't feel modern, but if they doesn't want to spend more than $200 or so on an upgrade then that's what I would do. A 3770K can at least run modern games, while the G620 is... questionable.

The alternative would be to see how cheaply you can get Zen 2 or Intel 10th/9th gen parts once people start offloading theirs to upgrade to alder lake or whatever AMD has in a few months. You would guaranteed get more bang for your buck, but it will be more buck overall.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 2, 2021

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah I'm not rly looking to get a whole new PC, just make things less obnoxious- I'm sure it costs more per dollar, but it's one of those bein broke things where better stuff's always more expensive because you can't just drop five bills, y'know?

I manage to keep things pretty snappy on here, and I'm not running much in the way of 60fps action type games- but I do a lot of work and some play on here that could benefit from just faster operation processing (memory's lookin like it's gonna be another month)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah I'm not rly looking to get a whole new PC, just make things less obnoxious- I'm sure it costs more per dollar, but it's one of those bein broke things where better stuff's always more expensive because you can't just drop five bills, y'know?

I manage to keep things pretty snappy on here, and I'm not running much in the way of 60fps action type games- but I do a lot of work and some play on here that could benefit from just faster operation processing (memory's lookin like it's gonna be another month)

Save your money up a little, if you can afford about 300 dollars in parts, you can get all of your major performance boosters in one shot. As far as upgrading what you have within that generation for less than $250, it would be throwing money into a fire basically.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($92.50 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI H510M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $244.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-02 02:56 EDT-0400

You're already looking at very close to this price if not over for godawful old parts like a 3770K, so what's saving up for a month or 2 and then buying much newer ones? If you cannot swing $250 in a couple months, you really shouldn't be looking at upgrades at all, because all that's going to happen is you're going to give up good money for poo poo parts. A 10100F is 25% better than a i7-3770K, while costing half as much as that used 3770K. You can get both the mobo and the CPU together for less than the price of a 3770K usually, and 16GB of DDR4-3200 is only going to run you 60-70 bucks anyways.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 2, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, yeah, that's a better option. Every company has been neglecting low-end hardware so much these last 18 months that I honestly forgot there's decent modern hardware available at that price range.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You could also try posting a want ad in SA-Mart if you trust goons (do not trust goons), and lots of people post old hardware on there that they are getting rid of, too, so you might be able to find something reasonable like a Skylake motherboard and processor for cheap.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Also checkout r/hardware swap for similar vibes with more posting.

There’s some genuine deals to be had there, especially on older parts.

I agree with saving a bit to get something better than an in socket upgrade. In sockets are almost never worth it cause the used prices are so high and the gains so minimal.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
go on Facebook market, find someone liquidating idk like a ryzen 3200g and a whatever am4 socket mono like a b320 or something. that and generic ddr4 will be a colossal leap

I found a 3600, x570 and cooler for 140 quid. I strongly suspect that will be net cheaper and for sure much more performant.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I have bags of old 1155/1156 processors from eWaste, if you're in Australia I'll literally just send you a 2700 or 3570 for the cost of a postage stamp.

I can also send any to America at cost but I dunno if that would be worth it.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Taking a first pass on a semi-budget gaming PC for a friend. Currently playing older games but want to be able to run some of the newer titles. GPU already in hand!

Anything jump out? Went back a few pages and it's understandably prebuilt chat, but think I arrived on 5600x being the value CPU. I used mostly parametric filters around the video card and pricing. Mostly was unsure of the memory (RGB nice but not required). Wifi required on the motherboard. Budget is roughly $800.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205M MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($95.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $743.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-02 12:43 EDT-0400

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

homeless posted:

Taking a first pass on a semi-budget gaming PC for a friend. Currently playing older games but want to be able to run some of the newer titles. GPU already in hand!

Anything jump out? Went back a few pages and it's understandably prebuilt chat, but think I arrived on 5600x being the value CPU. I used mostly parametric filters around the video card and pricing. Mostly was unsure of the memory (RGB nice but not required). Wifi required on the motherboard. Budget is roughly $800.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Amazon)

I’m inexperienced but I am confident most here would agree when I say go for a gold certified PSU, and you could probably drop to 650-700W to offset the increased cost, and adding a CPU cooler would be a good idea.

Also just gonna add that if the “newer titles” you mentioned are latency-sensitive games such as online shooters, I would think about picking up a 25 foot Ethernet cable or whatever. Depends on the wifi in this situation but I’ve never had a good time in competitive latency-sensitive games while using wifi.

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 2, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

homeless posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Pick a different PSU. Gold rated doesn’t mean it’s always good, but good ones are rarely not gold.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Thanks! Any recommendations on a cooler? No preference between AIO or air, not sure how far things have come.

How does this look as a replacement PSU?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797CDK7J?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

EVGA G1+ 650W Gold

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in terms of coolers anything will be better than stock and provide something of a performance uplift. a hyper 212 or something around there - single tower, at least one 120mm fan ideally two but not strictly necessary. air coolers are stupid simple and they're kind of hard to gently caress up? or maybe they're adequately mature it isn't as noticeable, something in the 30 dollars range should be fine. whatever is on sale. make sure you don't have clearance issues (ie that the case is deep enough to fit the tower and the motherboard isn't so crammed together it causes ram clearance problems.

an AIO will be more expensive for similar performance and sometimes more difficult installation although that's kind of subjective and will have nowhere near the longevity, air coolers basically last forever. unless it appeals to you aesthetically (in which case no judgement obviously) i would probably suggest looking at air coolers first.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

homeless posted:

Thanks! Any recommendations on a cooler? No preference between AIO or air, not sure how far things have come.

How does this look as a replacement PSU?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797CDK7J?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

EVGA G1+ 650W Gold

PSU is good.

Get the arctic freezer 34, it's as good as the 212, the same price and much easier to install.

You've got a solid mid to high range build there btw, a 5600x and 3070 will easily handle high settings and frame rate 1440p gaming in everything but Cyberpunk/Flight Simulator.

You should bump the RAM up to 3600 for a small but appreciable boost in performance.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

orange juche posted:

Save your money up a little, if you can afford about 300 dollars in parts, you can get all of your major performance boosters in one shot. As far as upgrading what you have within that generation for less than $250, it would be throwing money into a fire basically.

ahh, good 2 know! I'll pursue this as a plan while keeping an eyeball open at auctions and garage sales and fb etc

thank you everyone for input, I've been out of this game since ~2010 aside from every year or so when a friend kicks me a few bucks to research a PC build. I'm getting back into my technicals in general after years of poor health, figuring out what's the same and what's changed in the last decade across a few fields, it's wild (stuff's cooler, harder to get, easier to make, gatekeeper nerds are way out of fashion, gonna leave my GPU to someone in my will, no one sells low-voltage electronics parts at a store anymore, low-voltage electronics is called 'maker' now,,,,)

BurritoJustice posted:

I have bags of old 1155/1156 processors from eWaste, if you're in Australia I'll literally just send you a 2700 or 3570 for the cost of a postage stamp.

I can also send any to America at cost but I dunno if that would be worth it.

what a kind offer! I'm unfortunately not only in the US, but out in the plains, pretty far from the cities (idk if that affects incoming international rates; it can affect outgoing!)

in the meanwhile, I might go ahead and order one of the i3/i5 tier cpus I'm seeing for $30~40; I could eat that if it was a dud and while it wouldn't be, 'modern', it'd double my cores and feel like some breathing room. Crucially for my interests, this motherboard is old enough that it still supports an IDE drive (so I can image and test vintage drives without e.g. a usb intermediary), and has breakout pins on the board for COM1 and LPT and tons of other cool poo poo (idk if that's still normal)- it's going to become my workbench compy once I get a new desktop, and I hope to be able to use it for technical work and/or light home fileserver duty for a while

I do a lot of old computer stuff, sort of a rusted-out country junkyard wrencher but for computers- I think my newest piece of tech rn is my 5yo smartphone. It's extremely possible to foster these hobbies on less than $20k/yr and a measure of patience! About to start a PCjr restoration project for winter indoor times, most of my stuff is 00s junk and not quite that interesting yet, my daily driver portable is still an HP Mini netbook (and I still love it) Gamewise, there's literally more than a million games I've never played made since 1980 and even with a new computer, I'd be playing stuff from the 20th century half the time anyhow (tho maybe with a more accurate-looking CRT filter). So- I can easily have patience on this :)

As I get back on my feet techwise, without a lot of local pals who are into this stuff, I'm very thankful for input from others- it's a vital resource, and it's very kind to help out!! :cabot: Thaaaank you all!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I finally came up in the EVGA queue, this is the system I’m looking at building (for gaming, in Canada):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($374.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 5.5 g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($214.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($173.99)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($209.99)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($180.00)
Monitor: LG 32QK500-C 32.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1153.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-02 17:43 EDT-0400

Any comments or suggestions? I wouldn’t mind cutting back a bit on CPU/motherboard/RAM since AM4 is EOL.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if you're playing at 1440p 75hz then yeah that's total overkill. you could go for a much cheaper b550, a 3600 or something around there or go intel with the 10 or 11400k i think is the good one for a little cheaper.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It looks like the 5600G is only $20 more than the 3600 right now, not sure if I’m losing anything important with the motherboard downgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 5.5 g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($136.74 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($173.99)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($209.99)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($180.00)
Monitor: LG 32QK500-C 32.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $990.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-02 18:24 EDT-0400

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I wouldn't go for the 5600G, and I'm not really sure why AM4 being end of life (ish, there's still one more upgrade to come) means you should get worse components now, because those are still what you'll be using for the foreseeable future.

You don't need thermal paste, the cooler included with the CPUs you've chosen comes with some pre-applied. That said you should buy a separate decent cheap cooler, the stock one is loud. The Arctic Freezer 34 is a good cheap match for the 5600X.

The downgraded motherboard is fine, the main thing is it still has a USB C front panel connector for that Meshify 2's front panel.

That PSU is overkill for your parts, you could go for a 650W and save some money and have more than enough power for what's in there.

I wouldn't have bought that SSD, you could have spent your money on an NVMe instead. If it's a carry forward then fine.

Ditto the monitor, it's a bit crap for gaming. Again if it's something you already own then fine but it looks like more of a general office monitor.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also wowsers is that typical ram pricing in canada? you can get 2x8 of decent 3600 for like 60ish quid here, hell there's a promo for 2x16 gigs of 3600 CL18 with RGB for £112 right now which is 196 canadian. i suspect you can find it a bit cheaper if you look.

a 5600g is fine but you're paying for functionality you may not use (the iGPU) and it isn't quite as fast as a 5600x because of that. a little better than a 3600 tho.