Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
anybody that only heard about it recently probably heard about it from all the breathless shills that pump it because they've owned some since the early days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

interwhat posted:

Why the gently caress do I not know a single person that thinks crypto is stupid?

you're among friends here

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

interwhat posted:

Why the gently caress do I not know a single person that thinks crypto is stupid?

Because it requires a level of understanding of complex systems and their flaws that is basically incompatible with being a functional human being.

If you understand crypto well enough to know it's stupid you're one of the following
1. Noxious pedant
2. Unbearable cynic
3. Doomed far left agitator
4. Terminally online everposter
5. Pedantic cynical terminally online leftist

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure chracters/drivers in Mario Kart have always had a meta thats either extreme of light or heavy classes ?? With recent games adding some slight variety with the karts themselves?

jesus this article is stupid.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

ikanreed posted:

Because it requires a level of understanding of complex systems and their flaws that is basically incompatible with being a functional human being.

If you understand crypto well enough to know it's stupid you're one of the following
1. Noxious pedant
2. Unbearable cynic

6. All of the above

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Hi im here for the bitcoin, wheres my million dollars?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The value proposition of NFTs in games is "what is we made horse armor dlc, but we can't leverage economies of scale to make our money back?"

Literally only sustainable in a landscape where people are paying 5 figures for it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ikanreed posted:

1. Noxious pedant
2. Unbearable cynic

Sounds like you've visited D&D recently

Khorne
May 1, 2002
After the great success of the Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House & any game that offers a way to turn currency into real money, I can't wait to get paid 5 cents per hour for my gaming. I can't wait to be gated out of content unless I open my wallet!! And like any other game ever that promises to import data from the previous, it will either never happen or happen so long after you care that it might as well have not happened.

Why is crypto always the same failed garbage that is objectively non-functional but this time with !!blockchain!! Any game that uses NFTs would be better without using NFTs. If this were such a killer concept it would have already been done, because it's both simpler to implement and has more longevity if they store it in a database or any traditional data store.

These companies see "we could be the next MTG" without looking at why they won't be.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is performance art.

https://twitter.com/GarbageWitchy/status/1455313846189453313?t=-YJB_vrc4AbTdw_60_dCBw&s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/NecroDancerGame/status/1455246504575201281?s=20

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 2, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

interwhat posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

interwhat posted:

Everyone I know thinks it's stupid. They either think it's stupid and make fun of it, or they think it's stupid but wonder how they can make some quick cash off of it.

There's only two guys I went to highschool with who are legitimately into it. Both are serial grifters and will take any opportunity to exploit weird trends and make money off of others. One is heavily involved in legal sports gambling, and the other used to collect beanie babies and star wars figures in the late 90s.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
all the artists I know are getting into NFTs and it's loving depressing

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

all the artists I know are getting into NFTs and it's loving depressing

cant blame them honestly if they're struggling and then all of a sudden idiots want to give you 300k

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
the thing is, idiots dont want to give them 300k. idiots want them to be bigger idiots and pay real money for some fake money to spend on entry fees so they can cash out of the pyramid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crypto seems to attract a certain sort of idiot who is ludicrously credulous about anything with the 'tech' label slapped on it and hilariously ignorant of how even the basic functions of video games work in practice.

I would be surprised if Star Citizen doesn't get into NFTs at some point. I'm certain there's already backers on the forums demanding it.

PhazonLink posted:

I'm pretty sure chracters/drivers in Mario Kart have always had a meta thats either extreme of light or heavy classes ?? With recent games adding some slight variety with the karts themselves?

jesus this article is stupid.

It depends on the game, though Mario Kart 8 was definitely better for heavy characters until they introduced 200cc mode that's deliberately too fast for many to handle. You have to actually use the breaks!

Of course in practice this entire idea is literally just pay2win through an absurdly overcomplicated system.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

I have 25% of my net worth invested in nft art/nft games. Mostly in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYQoDKO62Y

NFTs are the future.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ghosTTy posted:

I have 25% of my net worth invested in nft art/nft games. Mostly in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYQoDKO62Y

NFTs are the future.

No Future, True!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ghosTTy posted:

NFTs are the future.

Dude, post more meaningless charts. It's way more funny than just talking up the latest idiot grift involving crypto.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

for you

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I didn’t watch, but if it’s something that I can buy with the credit card I stole out of moms purse it’ll make some money.

E: the future appears to be regressing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bitcoin: the future appears to be regressing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/thwphipps/status/1455174674363654144

lol lmao

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

NFTs are the future.

This is stupid, even for you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm shocked. Nobody could see this coming, I'm sure.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Hope ya'll are buying some NFTs, unless you like being poor, lol.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You're aware of the post directly above yours, right?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ah, but you see, salt is smart, and surely won't be the one left holding the bag when the market for hideously ugly randomly generated monkeys (which is completely real and not the result of a handful of people trading the same things back and forth to make it look like there's more activity than there really is) crashes.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

salt shakeup posted:

Hope ya'll are buying some NFTs, unless you like being poor, lol.

Not your best work at all.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ghosTTy posted:

NFTs are the future.

more like gotchiamoney

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

What if pay to win, but on the blockchain

Also why would anyone who don’t own Mario want to play a competitive game where they literally can’t win against him - this is why game developers go to such extreme lengths to combat cheating - the game needs to be fair

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
the axie infinity games-as-an-NFT bullshit reminds me a lot of ancient bitcoin thread hero Logansryche, who ran a dog shelter in second life and was constantly begging for donations within second life to be able to pay for second life dog food to keep the second life dogs alive - he claimed that if they werent fed, they would die, and got quite emotional about it

like imagine that stupid bloomberg article about mariokart except you have to pay crypto for fuel and maintenance on your kart or else you cant play

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
why are nfts always so loving ugly. my monitor is on

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Khorne posted:

After the great success of the Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House & any game that offers a way to turn currency into real money, I can't wait to get paid 5 cents per hour for my gaming. I can't wait to be gated out of content unless I open my wallet!! And like any other game ever that promises to import data from the previous, it will either never happen or happen so long after you care that it might as well have not happened.

Why is crypto always the same failed garbage that is objectively non-functional but this time with !!blockchain!! Any game that uses NFTs would be better without using NFTs. If this were such a killer concept it would have already been done, because it's both simpler to implement and has more longevity if they store it in a database or any traditional data store.

These companies see "we could be the next MTG" without looking at why they won't be.

no, you forget. you're making 5 cents an hour, transaction fees are $100, and it's around $10k to buy enough stuff to even play the game! also everyone else loses money and approximately 3 people who play who are coincidentally the development staff, happen to make around 50k an hour. trickle down economics!

I love making money off crypto, my automation business that trades crypto for profits is massively successful at constantly taking in profits (and exiting positions) but I can't wait for bear market in December to really crush the idiots that will be snagged into poo poo the same way as squid. But do I believe in Bitcoin? absolutely not.

If you folks in here want some popcorn look up a rebranded shitcoin called SOV (sovereign) a shitcoin that basically lives on saying "we're not btc" and also claims to be the first to enable btc defi (it isn't) and also has problems with turning Bitcoin into their own sov "rBTC" and unsurprisingly turning the rBTC back into btc is also an issue that doesn't always work. Plus some weird El Salvador promise that may be pure grifting/turn into nothing. But hey, amazing! My total level of trust in it is: I put 8 bucks into it and will prob forget I have it. The hyperlibertarian shitlords loving love this shitcoin, and I don't. You'll find the whole gamut of hosed up tropes with it. Basically Herman Cain award (muh rights!!)! nominees who hold crypto.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 2, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I haven't seen Squid Game but doesn't this seem eerily on point? Hey do you want to get rich or die in poverty?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
This is definitely a dumb thing to complain about and maybe I'm an old man yelling at clouds, but I'm so loving upset about how some of my favourite content creators are slowly but surely being lured into the crypto poo poo. The one I'm most disappointed by is Phil DeFranco because he's now shilling some Bitcoin BS as he also reports on climate destruction. It just sucks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

This is definitely a dumb thing to complain about and maybe I'm an old man yelling at clouds, but I'm so loving upset about how some of my favourite content creators are slowly but surely being lured into the crypto poo poo. The one I'm most disappointed by is Phil DeFranco because he's now shilling some Bitcoin BS as he also reports on climate destruction. It just sucks.

it's not dumb to be upset by this. it's naked greed and nothing more. it sucks to see people buying into a pyramid scheme which will greatly exacerbate global warming and leave a shitload of people with nothing. anyone knowingly participating in that is a huge piece of poo poo unfortunately.

can you even imagine being this kind of rear end in a top hat?

quote:

I love making money off crypto, my automation business that trades crypto for profits is massively successful at constantly taking in profits (and exiting positions) but I can't wait for bear market in December to really crush the idiots that will be snagged into poo poo the same way as squid. But do I believe in Bitcoin? absolutely not.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Activision/Blizzard releases new cryptocurrency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Has anyone already made the connection that NFTs are just like adoptables on DeviantArt, but somehow more stupid?