Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When life gives you poms, make pomade.

e: Prime numbers that differ from each other by 6 are called sexy primes, because of the Latin root and also because mathematicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
My one experience being upgraded to first class was on a BA New York-London flight. My wife and I were originally supposed to be flying from LaGuardia through Toronto but that flight abruptly got cancelled and the airline told us we needed to get to JFK during rush hour. After sitting in a cab in traffic for ages, we got to JFK, only to find that BA's computer systems were almost entirely down. Gates were swamped and it was almost impossible to speak to an airline attendant, let alone get any information on whether we would get on a flight. We were resigned to having to get a hotel and wait to fly out the next day when my wife cut through a crowd of people mulling about to politely ask an attendant if there was any way we could get on the last transatlantic flight. The woman frantically darted around, handed us two tickets, and told us that if we could board right then we could fly.

It turns out both tickets were first class. We were so exhausted and bewildered that we didn't even know what to do, and I was so buzzed from the whole experience that I couldn't even sleep on the little bed you get, but the food and booze was amazing. They also gave us vouchers that let us skip ahead of security and use the BA lounge in Heathrow, where we had an amazing breakfast and used their infinity toilets (which I didn't even know were a thing). We looked it up after the fact and those tickets would have cost almost £15k each normally.

I'll never get to taste that level of luxury again, but every once in a while I still dream that I'm taking a poo poo in an infinity toilet.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Does Aberdeen still have the guy in pseudo military dress who would stand down on John Street with a big pinboard connecting the dots between the queen and the nazis?

He's probably an anti vax guy now.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

keep punching joe posted:

Does Aberdeen still have the guy in pseudo military dress who would stand down on John Street with a big pinboard connecting the dots between the queen and the nazis?
Is it just a straight line from one to the other?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Flayer posted:

Is it just a straight line from one to the other?

I think his reasoning was a touch more esoteric than the true facts. It probably involved Templars and Aliens.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 2, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

I'd rather walk than have to fly with Ryanair if I was 6'6".

That particular trip might also involve quite a long swim.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I mean the actual things are to prevent staining the seats with the hair pomade you are definitely using because it's still 1955 (or 1855) :shobon:

:thejoke:

It is crazy tho that people's heads used to be so greasy that we still have vestigial upholstery named after it tho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
For a while when I was working for a large, national, extremely popular transport infrastructure company - ahem - I was also partially employed by one of their biggest customers so for a glorious few months I had a travel pass allowing me to sit in 1st Class (so long as there were vacant seats and no paying customers needing to sit - if it was those of us with passes were expected to stand whichever class unless mobility problems). Anyway, the one and only time I took advantage of this option to sit in 1st Class, I sat on the seat only to discover that some bastard had peed on it (and given the livery of the seat covers this did not show). Grrrr. Thankfully, I was wearing dark clothes!
You can bet my phone was texting like crazy to make sure there was a cleaner awaiting said transportation device once it reached the terminus!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There should be antimacassars for piss

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did your grandparents not have those clear plastic things on the sofa?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't know how old timey people could bear to put a bunch of grease or whatever in their hair

I've worn modern-style hair gel maybe twice in my life and it was awful enough already

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
antimacassars + piss = antipicasso
picasso = guernica
antipicasso = franco
franco-prussian war = bismarck
bismarck = north dakota
dakota fanning = the cat in the hat
dr suess = horten hears a ho 229
gotha go 229 = secret nazi flying wing
therefore house of saxe-coburg and gotha = secret nazi weapon - pistachios

Wake up! Rubbing piss in your hair is the only way to stop the plot. :mason:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When we went on our honeymoon a couple a few spaces in front of us got the free upgrade to 1st class by saying they were on honeymoon, and then we were stuck rooting through our luggage trying to find proof we got married the day before.

Couldnt find it, didnt get the upgrade because the woman at the desk didn't believe us. It was annoyingly like that episode of friends they had to change after 9/11.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The One Where Joey Realizes That Jihad Is The Only Solution To Modern Global Liberal Capitalism

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:cry:

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1455238759654567942

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Life of luxury up there in first class with your prepissed seats while us scum in economy have to piss on our own seats.

e:

That's not a dilemma, that's just an inconvenience. Who subedited this headline, it's crap.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 2, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

If they're finding life to be so difficult there is a solution ready to hand

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Half of that article is just copied from P. G. Wodehouse short stories written a century ago.

I just can't get the hang of these new electric fans, and the chap that installed them went back to East Prussia to become a Bolshevik.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MeinPanzer posted:

I'll never get to taste that level of luxury again, but every once in a while I still dream that I'm taking a poo poo in an infinity toilet.
What the gently caress is an infinity toilet

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I mean the actual things are to prevent staining the seats with the hair pomade you are definitely using because it's still 1955 (or 1855) :shobon:

Specifically Oil of Macassar, hence the name.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Love when people publish articles that make me want to listen to my favourite Death Grips song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

I'm also wondering and I can only imagine that, analogous to an infinity pool, it's a toilet designed to make you feel like you're making GBS threads in the ocean.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

TACD posted:

It's where the piss goes right up to the rim of the bowl so it looks like there's piss all the way to the horizon when you're in it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

My childhood nanny/housekeeper/adopted granny (yeah, wall etc) used to work for several full-on noble families and had many stories. The head of the household literally didn’t understand that you needed to put toothpaste on the brush to make it foam for example.

She also once had to spank Prince Charles when he was about six or seven. Which I guess is something of a claim to fame.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's https://seatfrog.com/ for the trains, maybe other ways to do it too. Where you can sort of cheekily upgrade for cheap at the last minute sometimes.

this is good, I got upgrades for my brother and I for £20 in total, paying directly would have been like 10X the amount lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

I don't know how old timey people could bear to put a bunch of grease or whatever in their hair

I've worn modern-style hair gel maybe twice in my life and it was awful enough already

Old style pomade really isn't that different from modern product, the only real difference is there's a lot more petroleum in the modern stuff. The only thing that's changed is fashion, modern gum based products are just as heavy and transfer as easily as Brylcreem or other hair oils.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

My childhood nanny/housekeeper/adopted granny (yeah, wall etc) used to work for several full-on noble families and had many stories. The head of the household literally didn’t understand that you needed to put toothpaste on the brush to make it foam for example.

She also once had to spank Prince Charles when he was about six or seven. Which I guess is something of a claim to fame.

Given the amount of women paid to spank the nobility it's probably not much of a claim. I suppose that she got paid at the end of the week instead of just before the act make a difference.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

TACD posted:

When six people go in it at your party and it wipes out half of humanity.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have an idea, and it strikes me as an idea that would be very useful to this thread.

Essentially a link saving app called 'receipts' or 'evidence,' and when you save a link to it, you can add tags to it. You can also add auto tag rules, like if it's from this site tag it as 'guardian,' if the title contains 'corbyn' tag as corbyn, if it's by brendan o'neil tag as brendan, tag tweets as tweet etc.

Optional check boxes to submit it to archive.org for caching or take an indexed / tagged screenshot of the selected text..

The idea being that when you are in an argument and trying to find that guardian article or tweet or whatever, instead of having to try and dig through your bookmarks, history and likes on about 6 different apps, you have one easily searchable list that you can filter by tag.

Half the images on my phone are things that were useful from around the referendum or useful in trying to argue various political points. But can I find them when I need them? Can I bollocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

I have to assume it is a toilet where the water comes right up to the brim and overflows into a reservoir underneath the toilet.

The :females: value them extremely highly and I am sawing through the foundations of my house to install twenty of them as I speak.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

big scary monsters posted:

a toilet designed to make you feel like you're making GBS threads in the ocean.

In England this is just a regular toilet.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

An infinity toilet appears to be one without a rim.

https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/crosswater-infinity-back-to-wall-rimless-wc.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have an idea, and it strikes me as an idea that would be very useful to this thread.

Essentially a link saving app called 'receipts' or 'evidence,' and when you save a link to it, you can add tags to it. You can also add auto tag rules, like if it's from this site tag it as 'guardian,' if the title contains 'corbyn' tag as corbyn, if it's by brendan o'neil tag as brendan, tag tweets as tweet etc.

Optional check boxes to submit it to archive.org for caching or take an indexed / tagged screenshot of the selected text..

The idea being that when you are in an argument and trying to find that guardian article or tweet or whatever, instead of having to try and dig through your bookmarks, history and likes on about 6 different apps, you have one easily searchable list that you can filter by tag.

Half the images on my phone are things that were useful from around the referendum or useful in trying to argue various political points. But can I find them when I need them? Can I bollocks.

Interestingly I was working on something like this but there's big problems with integrating it onto a browser that aren't huge potential security risks that would stop any same person from downloading it.

My variant of that idea - running that as an app on a remote server that will do the screenshot etc - has some massive potential problems that I'll leave as an everybody for the reader (hint: it's effectively an anonymous way of teaching and hosting an image)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Take comfort from the fact that it made no difference and none of it mattered. Once I was like you, now my phone is full photos of mushrooms and that weasel I know. It has an equal amount of political impact and is also quite a lot less depressing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TACD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P88cV5mFWoI

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I had a look at that seatfrog thing just now and it doesn't seem to recognise Great Yarmouth (insert your own joke here). More worryingly, it doesn't have Norwich listed either.

Does it not recognise Norfolk or something?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Honeymoon Airplane chat: We took the marriage certificate and angled for 1st class etc on the flight to Barbados. The girl at the gate looked at us like we were insane as my (now ex) wife showed her and politely enquired about it. Get to our seats, my headrest is broken and wouldn't go in the upright position, to the annoyance of the person behind and the 2 stewardesses that scolded me before take off like this was my fault. Tried to get the upgrade again, and all we got was 'there's a spare seat at the back of the plane you can move to on your own'. gently caress BA.
At least on more recent flights being friends with the person at Flight Centre we book through gets us the bulkhead/wheelchair user seat if it's not being used plus hotel upgrades she manages to throw in.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's a nice idea though I do it by having numerous bookmark folders in my browser bar.
And every now and then I realize I am building my very own google in my bookmarks and have a cull.

There's one site I can't find for looking now. It was a site that gave statistical evidence that a certain country (A, say) that plays victim and reports event-sequences dating from a rocket attack by a certain country-like location (B, say) whereupon hundreds of innocent civilians of B are killed or maimed by the state-sponsored terror group military of A, in fact initiated event-sequences well over 95% of the time but just didn't count them because they didn't use a rocket to start it. The site disappeared mid 2014. Can't think why. Hmph. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interestingly I was working on something like this but there's big problems with integrating it onto a browser that aren't huge potential security risks that would stop any same person from downloading it.
I was thinking mobile / android based using share functionality, so you 'share' the link with the app and it brings up a screen with a list of suggested tags, a text box to add more, and then it saves the link to a database.

I tend to find most of my useful links browsing my phone, but I'm sure once you had the structure as an app it would be reasonably straightforward to convert to a browser add-on.

Google signin has fairly decent inbuilt methods to back up the database either to your google docs or your google account.

Later, when looking for the link, you type 'corbyn rafael behr heart attack' for example and it pulls up twitter style previews for anything you've saved that contains those tags.

Like it doesn't need to be a shareable list, although that in itself could be an interesting second phase, letting you subscribe to other news curators lists and see what they've been publicly sharing as useful.

The phase 2 idea also sounds like exactly the sort of thing that would get very rapidly turned into a disinformation tool though.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 2, 2021