Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
When I was running a kitchen I had some once in a while dudes as well as former employees who left on good terms I'd hit up for stuff like that. Sometimes it worked out, usually it didn't, but any night i wasnt doing two jobs was nice.

Edit: i have nothing for a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

When I was running a kitchen I had some once in a while dudes as well as former employees who left on good terms I'd hit up for stuff like that. Sometimes it worked out, usually it didn't, but any night i wasnt doing two jobs was nice.

I'd usually just throw up a post on facebook "hey I need help for about 6 hours to bang out some prep on Tuesday, anyone available? paying cash and beer". Having a decent network of people who know you're not a piece of poo poo helps to cover that kind of stuff, and I do the same for other people when I can. There was a few times where someone I knew who was like, a sous chef at a local high end spot, would come bang out dishes for me on a Thursday night, and that poo poo always amused me.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What's the polite way to say, "You're not helping, Chef, you're just loving up my station?"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

What's the polite way to say, "You're not helping, Chef, you're just loving up my station?"

You go "chef, you're loving up my station."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You go "hey rear end in a top hat, you're loving up my station."

Fixed that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Animal-Mother posted:

I generally went with "Hey Chef, what I really need you to do to help me is (insert preferably far away and unimportant task here)"

A lot of the time it was pizzas. I'd exile him to the pizza station and warn the servers they were going to be a bit slower for awhile until he got bored and wandered off.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

"I'm so sorry, you appear to think you're being helpful. How silly, haha!" is not the way to say it and it will get you kicked in the shins, proverbially speaking.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

8 hours of sitting on a computer doing training almost makes me miss serving.

Almost.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

iospace posted:

8 hours of sitting on a computer doing training almost makes me miss serving.

Almost.
I took a job that requires sitting in front of a computer all day and developed a crippling addiction to jogging after work to get the willies out. I've also completely hosed up the finish on my counter top from obsessive cleaning. I've already texted a few people to see if their kitchen need a deep clean to stop myself doing the oven again.

I'm bored. I'm very very bored and I don't miss the job at all but being still for 9 hours a day is starting to gently caress with me.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My brief thought of "huh, do I miss the kitchen?" was the fact that the place I now work is a huge building with garage bay doors that we keep open "to make it more inviting to the customers".

"Great," I think, the first morning it was about 45 degrees outside, with a brisk wind coming off the mountains. "I've traded sweating my balls off for shivering."

But then I remembered my adage of "you can add more clothing when it's cold, but there's only so naked you can get when it's hot" and yep that thought passed pretty quickly. No regrets, just more layers of shirts.

Congrats iospace on getting out!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I just got a promotion today at my job and now make as much as I did per hour as my highest paying EC gig. Never looking back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fizzymercury posted:

I took a job that requires sitting in front of a computer all day and developed a crippling addiction to jogging after work to get the willies out. I've also completely hosed up the finish on my counter top from obsessive cleaning. I've already texted a few people to see if their kitchen need a deep clean to stop myself doing the oven again.

I'm bored. I'm very very bored and I don't miss the job at all but being still for 9 hours a day is starting to gently caress with me.

Yeah, I took a break every now and then to make a lap of the new place because I was going that stir crazy.

At least on Friday I get off the training computer and actually do some work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I just got a promotion today at my job and now make as much as I did per hour as my highest paying EC gig. Never looking back.

I'm visualizing you with some sort of cheese-specific chef's hat, trading it in for an even more baroque cheese-specific chef's hat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm visualizing you with some sort of cheese-specific chef's hat, trading it in for an even more baroque cheese-specific chef's hat.

Its like a very tall top hat but not at all really

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Does it at least say "The Big Cheese" on it?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

?

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Last service today! Goodbye to 80 hour weeks! NYC restaurants are... on the ropes.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I did this on Friday…lots of closed door meetings Monday, we’ll see what happens I guess?

Edit oops

Rugikiki fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 2, 2021

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I feel you on the lack of dishwashers. We're relying on a prepubescent 14 year old right now.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

lol, that place looks like a fiasco. Seriously nothing written down anywhere about opening/closing procedures?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rugikiki posted:

I did this on Friday…lots of closed door meetings Monday, we’ll see what happens I guess?

Just fyi, that's not even sightly censored, all names are visible.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Discendo Vox posted:

Just fyi, that's not even sightly censored, all names are visible.

Oh poo poo thanks, I’ll re-do in the morning.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

The General posted:

lol, that place looks like a fiasco. Seriously nothing written down anywhere about opening/closing procedures?

My last place one of the last things the exiting Chef did before he left was ask me to write up open/close procedures for my restaurant, which I did.
Several months later the new Chef asked me to write up open/close procedures for my restaurant and asked why we didn't have any. I didn't save a copy of them the last time because I emailed them to my sous, whose job it should have been. I wrote the procedures again.
As far as I know that outlet still does not have written procedures.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Escape From Noise posted:

Does it at least say "The Big Cheese" on it?

No. It murmurs it constantly though

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

No. It murmurs it constantly though

*le grand fromage*

Canadian dairy products are expected to cost a lot more next year. They're expecting a 9% increase in farm milk costs early next year, and I imagine every distributor and vendor along the way will take a percentage or two increase on top of that.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8340736/dairy-product-price-increase-canada-2022/

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 2, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We are finding it nearly impossible to get any UK imports, for obvious reasons.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

The General posted:

I was hired three days before Covid shut everything down. When we reopened in the fall (2020) we started with a meeting about how we’d almost lost this account under the old chef and here’s our new leadership team. Then the good chef who made things work in spite of all the craziness and changes left this last summer and the new one doesn’t really like work or responsibilities. It’s not a great situation. Hence this (hopefully more effectively redacted) letter

E: And I just got an email about a full staff feedback meeting on Friday, I think that’s a win or we’re bringing back public executions

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Rugikiki posted:

and the new one doesn’t really like work or responsibilities
Hot drat are they in the wrong profession, then.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

my pos software just crashed when exporting the days batch of chits to AR and completely hosed an entire day of transactions, just gone to the ether

even though i'm out of serving i still can't escape POS loving me over

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Rugikiki posted:

I was hired three days before Covid shut everything down. When we reopened in the fall (2020) we started with a meeting about how we’d almost lost this account under the old chef and here’s our new leadership team. Then the good chef who made things work in spite of all the craziness and changes left this last summer and the new one doesn’t really like work or responsibilities. It’s not a great situation. Hence this (hopefully more effectively redacted) letter

E: And I just got an email about a full staff feedback meeting on Friday, I think that’s a win or we’re bringing back public executions
It's pretty wild that they have to schedule the chef to be in the kitchen during lunch and dinner service. And no written rules and procedures? Have they seriously just been winging it and hoping for the best upon hiring knew people?

It sounds like they're trying to turn over a kayack in white water that's already in pieces. I hope that staff feedback meeting goes better than all the ones I've been to. I'm betting someone will melt down about the dish pit.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I’m hoping that what I’m doing is channeling that frustration into some sorta solution buuuuut that’s kinda in management’s hands for now. If washing a dish is a bridge too far for them I know at least half the staff have something else lined up already though.

Oh and did I mention we’ve been triple-sinking it for…three weeks now waiting for Hobart to find parts for the machine?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Rugikiki posted:

I’m hoping that what I’m doing is channeling that frustration into some sorta solution buuuuut that’s kinda in management’s hands for now. If washing a dish is a bridge too far for them I know at least half the staff have something else lined up already though.

Oh and did I mention we’ve been triple-sinking it for…three weeks now waiting for Hobart to find parts for the machine?
I really hope it does work out. It sounds like utter chaos in there but all the stuff you're asking for is basic poo poo that no one should be upset over if they're reasonable.

Talking to the Hobart guy on the phone about a month ago was deeply depressing. He sounded horribly overworked and stressed. Apparently their parts shortage issues have a pretty long backlog and everyone is mean about it. It's another way the industry is going weird that's not being talked about much...yet.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

We are finding it nearly impossible to get any UK imports, for obvious reasons.

If there was ever a time for this, this is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1JWzyvv8A

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Oh god. This bar needs a lot. Oh god. Oh god. Anybody got any bright ideas for glassware storage for a high volume craft bar that is way too big with way too little baked in storage?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Justa Dandelion posted:

Oh god. This bar needs a lot. Oh god. Oh god. Anybody got any bright ideas for glassware storage for a high volume craft bar that is way too big with way too little baked in storage?

Buy shelves and cabinets?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Justa Dandelion posted:

Plastic glass racks for dish machines can hold like 24 glasses at a time,depending on type, they stack even with different sizes, won't break glassware, fit on carts with wheels, and are useful when the glasses get dirty.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

pile of brown posted:

Plastic glass racks for dish machines can hold like 24 glasses at a time,depending on type, they stack even with different sizes, won't break glassware, fit on carts with wheels, and are useful when the glasses get dirty.

Each of the for bar stations has a four tier glass rack and that's not enough. We push out $13k just on drinks on a decent night...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ok so get more. There isn't a better glass storage idea than racks that hold glasses safely and can clean them too.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

pile of brown posted:

Ok so get more. There isn't a better glass storage idea than racks that hold glasses safely and can clean them too.

We have no floor space left behind the bar with 4 70" wells, 4 24" glass racks, 2 24" dish machines and 2 24" reach in coolers. The back bar is similarly packed. I'm hiring welders to fabricate some floating shelves on the side of our support pillars, under our liquor storage, and above the underbar glass drying racks but that's my only ideas and I'm worried it won't be enough. Was hoping somebody here has done cool stuff with storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Serve every drink in the same kind of glass.