Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I've played a couple of times since some of the more substantial updates came out and was having a hard time on Professional, and sometimes even Intermediate, partially because I was playing with folks new to the game. We all kept dying to the first and second hunts and often only collecting a single piece of evidence and I wasn't have as a good of a time as I used to.

With the difficulty changes, new-ish equipment, and new ghosts, I've dropped it back down to Amateur and I'm having a much better time. My only gripe is that sometimes it takes a looooong time for the ghost to do anything on Amateur, which is somewhat mitigated by the hunts being more ambiguous now. So starting "fresh" is reinvigorating me.

Still hate the DOTS projector since I'm still not clear on how it works.

Put it down in the room, make sure lights are off and while you CAN see the effect with your own eyes it is much easier through a video camera screen. You'll see a canned animation of a ghostly figure running through the projector's radius if it's the correct evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It runs through really fast, so keep a close eye on it. It's almost comical sometimes. Like a Benny Hill ghost

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

weekly font posted:

Not loving the update. I noticed the devs playing with streamers like Insym a lot and he’s done a ton of good for the game by breaking it over his knee repeatedly (and appears to be really nice for a streamer) but it seems like they balance the game around him, a level 6000, not your average dumbfuck like me.

Not super interested in following a ghost all over the map and then having it spawn on my head.

That was actually a question Insym asked one of the devs on-stream recently (I don't watch the streams live, but do watch some of his and a few others YT uploads), how do you approach balancing given the wide range of player skill? The answer was more focused on testing minutiae then the skill range part, but they're aware of the range. I'd agree they've been paying more attention to the advanced difficulties and probably are underestimating the impact some hunt changes have on the lower difficulties. The devs did ask for player feedback on the official discord about the Halloween update, and balance changes to make some things a little easier are supposedly in the works based off that. Don't know if it'll be enough for the lower difficulties, have to wait and see.

DOTS is also like writing, in that sometimes it can take a while before the ghost decides to interact with it (which is when you can see the translucent outline).

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I like the difficulty changes because before it felt like grace period did very little and longer hunts only meant you sat in a locker for longer, it was no functional difference besides pay. I think all these changes are giving each difficulty a more defined experience and there's no shame in wanting a less tense experience. It's still a horror game so things like ghost events causing the electronics to go wild and stuff are ways to add tension and scares without increasing the lethality. I like the roaming too because it means all those tracking tools are more useful, not a single useless tool in the truck now. I've only been playing on Nightmare and guessing the ghost is pretty jank, but the brainstorm of figuring out the ghost is more fun than throwing evidence items at the ghost until something works and it feels so good to get it right sometimes, even though other games are a crapshoot.

Ghost is forced to interact with the dots projector if it is next to it for 15-30 seconds. If you can keep track of the ghost, dots should be a decently consistent one. A turned on spirit box also has this failsafe. I think book only has increased interaction odds though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Do some ghost types just not interact with the DOTS? I don't remember what ghost type we encountered the other night in the Campsite, but we had it down to a single tent that it kept messing with (lights, door flap, got some fingerprints) and had the DOTS and cameras just in front of it, but we never saw the ghost's outline.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Was DOTS one of the evidence types? If so then yeah, some ghosts are real picky about interacting with the DOTS. I'll usually put up a DOTS + camera in the ghost room itself and also right outside of it

If you were on Nightmare DOTS might've been the one evidence type the ghost hid (ghosts hide one evidence type on Nightmare)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
New balance patch dropped today!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/739630/view/3060752450167367025

quote:

Ouija Board
To help combat certain ghosts being very difficult to identify, we've added some new questions to the Ouija board so that you can get a rough idea of what your sanity percentage is.
  • The Ouija Board is now guaranteed on Nightmare difficulty
  • You can now ask the Ouija board what your sanity is in different ways
  • Different questions will give different responses
  • Combining these responses can give you a very good idea of your sanity
  • Asking about your sanity will only drain your sanity a very small amount
  • Less useful Ouija Board questions now drain your sanity much less
  • Some Ouija Board spawn points have been moved to avoid clipping with hiding place blockers

New
  • Ghosts changing preferred room is now tied to sanity. Higher sanity, less room changing!
  • There is a now a shortcut from the entrance area to the campfire area in Maple Lodge Campsite
  • Heavy rain has received new visuals
  • More photos have been added
  • Weather can now come through the grated ceilings in the Prison cell blocks

Changes
  • Ghosts now have a maximum range for changing preferred rooms
  • Goryo will now always give DOTS evidence on Nightmare difficulty
  • Obake will now always give Fingerprints evidence on Nightmare difficulty
  • Fingerprints now have 100% chance to spawn instead of 75%
  • Fingerprints now last 2 minutes before fading out
  • Obake's strength has been adjusted to accommodate the fingerprints changes
  • Fingerprints can now be left on small tents, picnic benches, cooler boxes, wooden posts and log seating in Maple Lodge Campsite
  • The amount of hiding blockers has been adjusted in all locations and difficulties
  • Camping lights, fairy lights and the campfire light have been adjusted to stop sanity drain like other lights
  • Ghosts now have a much lower chance to change preferred rooms on Professional and Nightmare
  • Lowered the chance for ghosts to wander long distances
  • Fog colour, Night vision, and Ghost Orbs have been adjusted to help gameplay visibility during foggy weather
  • Increased interaction rate for ghosts on Nightmare difficulty to match Professional difficulty
  • Optimised all weather conditions for better performance
  • Optimised trees and other foliage in Maple Lodge Campsite for better performance
  • The clock ticking and white noise sounds now loop seamlessly
  • In VR, you will no longer grab the tent door when attempting to grab a nearby prop
  • Ghost events will no longer stop if you leave the room or get too far away from the ghost

And a bunch of bug fixes

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

they've already fixed a few issues I had with the halloween update and are making more changes later on to further improve the experience. Still torn on the electronic device disturbance change but that whole changelog looks really good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Evil Kit posted:

they've already fixed a few issues I had with the halloween update and are making more changes later on to further improve the experience. Still torn on the electronic device disturbance change but that whole changelog looks really good.

Yeah same. I like the spookiness and immersiveness of it, because I kinda agree that it shouldn't be super easy to instantly tell exactly how much danger you're in, but the current implementation is lacking. I'm hoping they introduce an equipment item (or something) that reacts to hunts specifically somehow, or introduce some kind of tell between hunts vs. events that an experienced investigator can still clue in on.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Most of that looks very good. I want to see how the Ouija board sanity questions play out, because that could be anywhere from not helpful to "may as well just restore the truck readings" OP. Also not sure about the chance of the ghost room changing scaling up with lower sanity. Curious why they changed heavy rain visuals, IMO snow needs better visuals way more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah same. I like the spookiness and immersiveness of it, because I kinda agree that it shouldn't be super easy to instantly tell exactly how much danger you're in, but the current implementation is lacking. I'm hoping they introduce an equipment item (or something) that reacts to hunts specifically somehow, or introduce some kind of tell between hunts vs. events that an experienced investigator can still clue in on.

Honestly I think all they need to do is tweak the hunting/running mechanic. Right now the ghost lasers right in on you and moves at your speed, so you basically have to be running for a hiding place the instant a hunt starts or you're going to die. That's why it's so important to recognize the signs immediately and why these changes kind of suck. If they changed it to give more of a grace period at the beginning, and made it possible to escape the ghost even if you're a little slow, I think that would be enough. Rather than having to react to every ghost event as if it were a hunt, which is really not any more fun than always knowing which ones are hunts and which aren't, you would really have to weigh things out.

possibilities:
- ghost becomes fully visible and does something distinctive (growls, looks around, etc) for a few seconds when the hunt starts; now you can tell the difference, but only if you're actually in the room with it
- hunting behavior is unchanged but ghost freezes in place (and growls, etc) for a few seconds the first time a human player looks at it, giving a chance to escape
- ghost walks more slowly when it's tracking someone but faster when it's roaming, so there's a greater chance of it finding you but also a greater chance of escaping
- some way of breaking free when the ghost grabs you, like lighting a smudge stick while the hands animation is playing, so that you can still save yourself if it spawns right beside you
- etc.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 2, 2021

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I want the ghost to manifest in a dramatic flourish at the start of a hunt, like with occult energy swirling around and howling winds over a few seconds. This would solve the main thing I really want changed, not being able to see where the ghost spawns... I don't mind the ambiguity between an event and a hunt.

I wonder what the fastest non-guessing Nightmare clear is so far? My first run on Willow today was actually under a minute, because I walked in with the UV, the ghost immediately opened the bathroom door and hello there unique Obake fingerprints.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I popped on a single player map in Tanglewood to see if I could quick and easy do a daily objective. Turned on the little lamp by the door, did my thing. Was in that front hallway investigating something, when the lamp goes dim. I start walking, and all of a sudden, the loving thing EXPLODES as I'm standing next to it, scaring the everloving poo poo outta me! I didn't realize that was a new ghost event they added :stare:

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I popped on a single player map in Tanglewood to see if I could quick and easy do a daily objective. Turned on the little lamp by the door, did my thing. Was in that front hallway investigating something, when the lamp goes dim. I start walking, and all of a sudden, the loving thing EXPLODES as I'm standing next to it, scaring the everloving poo poo outta me! I didn't realize that was a new ghost event they added :stare:

Oh wow! I haven't gotten any exploding lights yet! Jealous!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
my giving bad advice kill count is up to 3 :smug: still trying to get someone with a last minute door slam that coincides with a hunt starting right after.

i wish you could still interact with equipment in someone else's hand.

in a pve game, i make my own pvp

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

durrneez posted:

my giving bad advice kill count is up to 3 :smug: still trying to get someone with a last minute door slam that coincides with a hunt starting right after.

i wish you could still interact with equipment in someone else's hand.

in a pve game, i make my own pvp

I just tell new players how to use an Ouija board but not that it costs you sanity.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I love finding the ouija when the daily or the map challenge is to go crazy. Just really lets me speedrun that down. Of course, now my tactic of rapidfiring inane questions about favorite soups and schoolteachers will need to be adjusted

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

weekly font posted:

Not loving the update. I noticed the devs playing with streamers like Insym a lot and he’s done a ton of good for the game by breaking it over his knee repeatedly (and appears to be really nice for a streamer) but it seems like they balance the game around him, a level 6000, not your average dumbfuck like me.

Not super interested in following a ghost all over the map and then having it spawn on my head.

The Devs definitely have a couple favored streamers they chat with and the design decisions are based on those content creators first and foremost.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Zerilan posted:

The Devs definitely have a couple favored streamers they chat with and the design decisions are based on those content creators first and foremost.

They made a special suggestions channel for this update on discord. You can trace back most the changes from there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Something I would really like to see is a timelapse map at the end of hunt screen showing the players and the ghost's locations. Would be nice especially for those matches where you feel like you have 0 idea what the gently caress the ghost was doing the whole time, and other times it'd just be neat or funny to see that while everyone was running and hiding for a hunt and the ghost was loving off somewhere completely else too.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Something I would really like to see is a timelapse map at the end of hunt screen showing the players and the ghost's locations. Would be nice especially for those matches where you feel like you have 0 idea what the gently caress the ghost was doing the whole time, and other times it'd just be neat or funny to see that while everyone was running and hiding for a hunt and the ghost was loving off somewhere completely else too.

Dang this would be a really nice feature. I'd also love if we could just open the journal on the results screen so when you get it wrong you can look up the correct ghost then and there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are the newest ghost types weighted higher or something. Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I swear, no exaggeration that my groups gets Twins practically every other match the past week or two. Like we play around 4~ maps a play session and at least 2-3 of them are -ALWAYS- the twins. It sucks!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I have only gotten Twins on a tutorial map I played at the very start to check out some of the changes. If they hunt, are there two ghosts? Cuz that would be fuckin spooky and neat

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, one's a "decoy" that does everything a ghost does but only one actually will hunt. To my understanding at least.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are the newest ghost types weighted higher or something. Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I swear, no exaggeration that my groups gets Twins practically every other match the past week or two. Like we play around 4~ maps a play session and at least 2-3 of them are -ALWAYS- the twins. It sucks!

I think I read somewhere the new ghosts had a higher spawn rate during the Halloween event, but I've seen a lot more of the twins than the other three, it seems like.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I keep getting the anime sounding ghosts. Where are all the shades at?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've found that on any given night, one ghost seems to always be more prominent than others. On playing 6 maps the other night, 4 of them were Obake. On a different night, it seemed like every other map we got a Revenant.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I've only played a few times since the update but still haven't seen the twins - they missed a trick not having some kind of hotel map

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I want a mansion map.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Now that they have outdoor maps, graveyard or bust

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just want them to find a way to balance large maps to make them not boring. I can't stand the prison and Asylum even though both should be awesome conceptually. The addition of sprinting a while back helped a bit but I still never play on them.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Do the ghosts still make noise on the parabolic? I can never seem to use that thing well, and the one time it worked really well for me, there was some kind of weird murmuring or something I could hear

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

I want a mansion map.

I believe a mansion is a work in progress along with an apartment (building or unit is unclear)

The other two I'd love to see are a hospital (though might overlap with asylum) and the classic haunting setpiece of a hotel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want a classic old victorian haunted house.

I think the idea of a haunted shopping mall was also bouncing around, which sounds fun in concept, but I agree that the huge maps just don't work that well. All they really do is increase the amount of time you spend wandering around, and nothing is different once you find the ghost's room. Plus the slow movement is just agony when you have to walk that far

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
CEILING CRAWLING GHOSTS WHEN?????

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

durrneez posted:

CEILING CRAWLING GHOSTS WHEN?????

Only if we get spider ghosts :colbert:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mokinokaro posted:

I believe a mansion is a work in progress along with an apartment (building or unit is unclear)

- 400sq ft studio.
- Haunted
- Street Parking only
- $1600 a month + first and last month and $2000 deposit

Alternative option: Frasier's apartment

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Prison has enough unique poo poo to keep it interesting especially in a full party. Asylum and HS need top to bottom overhauls.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

at least on high school the ghost will ring the phone to let you know where it is sometimes. cuts down on the frustration of it being large and same-y. I'd love to see it and asylum get redone to be more interesting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like large maps in general are just going to be hard to design with how slow you move. Even with multiple exit points you still have to slowly move your rear end around the whole building or whatever.