Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My co-op recommendations: Phasmophobia is super fun, and I've heard good things about the knock off with mummies. Demeo is decent enough for a try, IMO. I haven't played them, but Star Trek: Bridge Crew and Payday seem fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bridge Crew is good, also Minecraft (both versions, Java needs Vivecraft).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, yeah, I'll +1 Demeo. Once you beat a setting that's kind of it for that setting? But it's still fun working up to that, and it's more accessible now there's a save option.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is Steamteam VR any good? Because the regular game is a blast with other people on mobile. You’re basically a crew running a ship on a bridge and you have to give each other insanely tv sci-fi commands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du1h3PTLddw

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is Steamteam VR any good? Because the regular game is a blast with other people on mobile. You’re basically a crew running a ship on a bridge and you have to give each other insanely tv sci-fi commands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du1h3PTLddw

Oh poo poo, I loved Space Team, thanks for the lead on this one.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Booyah- posted:

I haven't kept up with VR in a while but my friend just got a headset, any good co-op games out there?

Space Pirate Arena.

You are gonna need a really big clear area and a wifi signal to play it.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

I think you've hit on the next Big Thing here. Being able to watch a game is fun, being able to VR yourself into the space is even better. I don't want to play Rocket League in VR, but I think it would be awesome to be able to sit in virtual stands for Pro RLCS games and heckle with my buddies next to me. Or you might just float around without affecting the environment at all, just watching the game at your own pace.

It would be like Twitch, but actually immersive!

I agree this is the only good, novel idea I've heard for a "metaverse" in years. Ghost drop in multiplayer mandatory for every new quest game would actually be very cool, it's just an extension of current streaming they've already put into everything.

That being said, it's not as mind blowing as they want, just a cool new feature they could put in to iterate towards what they want.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Windows 11 quest 2 airlink trip report:

Like a dumbass I decided to try windows 11 and had a terrible time with VR. I’ve got a 9900k and a 3080 powering a quest 2 with airlink. Windows 11 was installed as a fresh install on a formatted drive, rather than an upgrade. The main problem I had was that ASW refused to ever kick in. I tried a few oculus games and a few steam vr games and the ones where I can maintain 90fps were fine but games where I couldn’t it would just never kick in, meaning things got jittery and lovely real quick. I tried the test channel version of the desktop software and had the same problems.

Non-vr game performance was identical to windows 10, no issues there. Only VR games that are heavy enough to require the use of ASW.

Went back to windows 10 and everything is good again.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

EbolaIvory posted:

Because if you only ever hit drums you'd get bored as gently caress. Every music games shifts around a bit and thankfully rag understands what makes sense to hit poo poo to and don't. Its one of those "know the song and it makes sense" Kinda things. Audica suffers a lot from this.
Ehh... I guess I'd prefer to be bored, then. It's not like there aren't songs out there that have difficult or complex drumming, which could be used. At least follow the rhythm section, if not the drums!

And either way, varying what I have to do when the song is not changing is just aggravating.

For a dance game it makes sense, but for a game where you're ostensibly playing an instrument it just throws me off completely.

Booyah- posted:

I haven't kept up with VR in a while but my friend just got a headset, any good co-op games out there?
I've played Payday 2 and Star Trek Bridge Crew cross-play with a friend in not-VR, and they're both great

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Lynx R-1 MR Headset Kickstarter Doubles Funding Goal With One Week Remaining

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

always a great look

just did a 40 minute session in powerbeats VR punching to ambient electronic and the ouendan soundtrack... 600 kcals burned once again. I love this drat app!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GutBomb posted:

Windows 11 quest 2 airlink trip report:

Like a dumbass I decided to try windows 11 and had a terrible time with VR. I’ve got a 9900k and a 3080 powering a quest 2 with airlink. Windows 11 was installed as a fresh install on a formatted drive, rather than an upgrade. The main problem I had was that ASW refused to ever kick in. I tried a few oculus games and a few steam vr games and the ones where I can maintain 90fps were fine but games where I couldn’t it would just never kick in, meaning things got jittery and lovely real quick. I tried the test channel version of the desktop software and had the same problems.

Non-vr game performance was identical to windows 10, no issues there. Only VR games that are heavy enough to require the use of ASW.

Went back to windows 10 and everything is good again.

I had a lovely time with the earlier betas of Windows 11 with a Quest 2, too. I wrote about it in the Windows 11 thread, but basically what happened was I upgraded to Windows 11 and suddenly I was getting tons and tons of dropped frames from the compositor. It was dropping around 1 in 3 frames. I have a 5900x and a 2070s, and the 2070s cant do everything but it shouldn't have been that awful. I assumed it was the beta adding some latency as a part of the telemetry, or from some other extra diagnostics, but now that RTM is out I'm hearing from multiple people that they're still running into similar problems.

Same deal though, going back to Windows 10 fixed everything. Though lately I swear I'm getting some minor stuttering in games that shouldn't be there, and only seemed to start after updating the Quest, Oculus software and the gpu driver. But I cant actually find any evidence of it other than seeing it myself, compositor isn't dropping frames, games themselves arent dropping frames, everything stays a solid 120fps yet it doesn't look like it. Kinda like that jagged almost ghosting in HL Alyx, or like the boxes not always looking like they're moving all that smoothly in beat saber.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I think I periodically wander into these VR threads to ask this whenever something major enters the news cycle, so here it goes again: how far are we from AR/VR offering a meaningful productivity platform? I assume a headset will have trouble replacing a couple dedicated, high-resolution monitors in terms of fidelity, but if it's good enough, the flexibility of not being stuck with just a couple fixed viewports could make it a real competition. I want to array my VS Code, browser tabs, and misc. apps across my virtual world, pulling one in or just leaning closer if I need to focus on it.

And then there's the comfort of having the thing strapped to your face for hours on end... I imagine that'd usher in a whole new set of neck issues for anyone trying to actually use it for productivity.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Speaking of AR/VR news, I wanted to mention Antony's XR newsletter (his site is here) to which I subscribe to make sure I don't miss anything.

His newsletter is an excellent way to keep up on all the developments; it's always a great wrapup of news.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think I periodically wander into these VR threads to ask this whenever something major enters the news cycle, so here it goes again: how far are we from AR/VR offering a meaningful productivity platform? I assume a headset will have trouble replacing a couple dedicated, high-resolution monitors in terms of fidelity, but if it's good enough, the flexibility of not being stuck with just a couple fixed viewports could make it a real competition. I want to array my VS Code, browser tabs, and misc. apps across my virtual world, pulling one in or just leaning closer if I need to focus on it.

And then there's the comfort of having the thing strapped to your face for hours on end... I imagine that'd usher in a whole new set of neck issues for anyone trying to actually use it for productivity.

https://immersed.com/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fidelity is at the level of "good enough" with Quest 2, it's mostly a matter of the software needing to improve. Facebook/Meta are pushing PWAs and Android apps, but with the Quest's barebones window management it's not any better than a triple monitor setup (with painfully limited app support). There are options to stream windows from from a desktop PC with tools like Immersed as well as keyboard "passthrough" options. It's still early and it's not at the point where even I feel comfortable switching to a full VR desktop, though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: ^^^^^^ I still don't really get the ask for being able to see your keyboard, touch typing + eyehole if you really need it are already totally fine

Cugel the Clever posted:

It depends on what your threshold is. About two years ago, I was able to get meaningful work done in virtual desktop when I didn't have access to a regular desk setup, though I don't use it now that I do (it helps that I'm a one monitor neanderthal)

Imo the optics for text at desktop sizes aren't quite good enough for it to be really comfortable, the text needs to be a bit larger than it would be if you were just using a normal monitor at a normal viewing distance, and the peripherals aren't quite good enough to get around needing to turn your head a bit to get everything in focus. I think with the Quest 2 the resolution would probably be good enough, but at those text sizes the optics are noticeably not totally sharp

As far as comfort and environment I think the current headsets would be good enough otherwise

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lemming posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^ I still don't really get the ask for being able to see your keyboard, touch typing + eyehole if you really need it are already totally fine

I shift around a lot and found myself fumbling to find where the keyboard was located pretty often. Eyehole helps but it's still an annoyance.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I’d guess we’ll see AR monitors used for typical desktop workloads before VR sees a lot of adoption for desktop style workloads, maybe in 2 or 3 years. Even then it’ll probably have some compromises and not be wanted in all circumstances.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butt Discussin posted:

I’d guess we’ll see AR monitors used for typical desktop workloads before VR sees a lot of adoption for desktop style workloads, maybe in 2 or 3 years. Even then it’ll probably have some compromises and not be wanted in all circumstances.

Other way around, imo. VR development exists well ahead of AR, and for what you'd be wanting AR for in an office environment why would you want to stare at your own office all day when you can be literally anywhere else virtually?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Other way around, imo. VR development exists well ahead of AR, and for what you'd be wanting AR for in an office environment why would you want to stare at your own office all day when you can be literally anywhere else virtually?

I paid good money for those anime posters and by God photons from them are going directly into my eyes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The current obstacle to VR productivity is comfort, I guess. It has to feel much more 'invisible' to me to have the headset plugged in for 5 hours in a row.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

BrainDance posted:

Same deal though, going back to Windows 10 fixed everything. Though lately I swear I'm getting some minor stuttering in games that shouldn't be there, and only seemed to start after updating the Quest

I've noticed the same thing, and it only happened after I factory reset my quest 2 about a week ago (the day I bought resident evil 4).

Noticed it playing risk of rain 2 VR. It felt like lag, almost, but all of my stats regarding my stream were fine and not out of ordinary

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steam stats data (and now, vs previous months to give context)

October 2021 - September - August

- -

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 2, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow if you ignore all the old oculus headsets, the Quest 2 has more market share than everything else combined

Coming up on 2% ownership across all active steam survey users, wow, I thought we were still under 1%

Quest 2 just ground the rest of the industry into a fine paste, lmao

Extra curious to see what the pro model looks like ... Next year? Especially if it's not tied to Facebook account

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tied to a meta account ain’t exactly going to be much different.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Wow if you ignore all the old oculus headsets, the Quest 2 has more market share than everything else combined

Coming up on 2% ownership across all active steam survey users, wow, I thought we were still under 1%

Quest 2 just ground the rest of the industry into a fine paste, lmao

Extra curious to see what the pro model looks like ... Next year? Especially if it's not tied to Facebook account

It's probably much worse than you think if you consider that's only the Quest 2's that are being linked to Steam. A whole lot more will have never gone near a PC at all.

The hard truth is your market share for a PCVR headset is limited to "people with a gaming PC". Which is a subset to begin with of "owns a PC", and its growth is limited right now because *gesticulates frantically at GPU market and COVID loving logistics of everything*. The Quest 2's market share, on the other hand, is "Anyone with the money for a Quest 2". Which is a whole lot more people.

And the Meta account means squat, it's the same poo poo just in a different container. Just one that's filled by all the smaller containers like Facebook and Oculus.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

It reached 2.3% on May, but on June there was a 'big' correction, to 1.86%. Then another 0.3% drop in August. We are still recovering.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As long as it means that you don't have to go through the charade of engaging with Facebook and also won't have every single Quest on the planet personally bricked for yourself by being banned from Facebook then that's really what matters from most people's perspective.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean it’s still a 100% Facebook run account under a new name with possibly less direct social aspects. The idea of an individual account tied to nothing outside of the device itself is simply not the direction Facebook will ever go for considering the direction they are pushing the Quest line.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a way to convert your quest login from FB to Meta? Obviously I could just make a new meta account but I dont want to lose my purchases

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to convert your quest login from FB to Meta? Obviously I could just make a new meta account but I dont want to lose my purchases

Based on a few posts in the subreddit, you should be able to start an Oculus support chat and get the facebook account unlinked then use only the Oculus account on the device. This breaks the social aspect on the UI so games that use it for MP could be borked but otherwise you can get rid of FB right now.

No idea when Meta is actually taking off with Quest but for now you can go back to just Oculus.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As far as I know, there is still not a Meta site or Meta accounts. It's in 2022. If you really want to rush it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qilkwy/you_can_unlink_your_facebook_account_now/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1455228753047523333

Hadlock posted:

https://twitter.com/Basti564/status/1455333035667345415

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh loving hell yeah a charging base for the headset AND controllers? I’m all for that.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

forest spirit posted:

I've noticed the same thing, and it only happened after I factory reset my quest 2 about a week ago (the day I bought resident evil 4).

Noticed it playing risk of rain 2 VR. It felt like lag, almost, but all of my stats regarding my stream were fine and not out of ordinary

I heard from a few other people that something like it was happening to them, too. If it's widespread I hope that means it might get fixed sooner rather than later. It did sometimes feel in some games like something you might not even notice if you weren't looking for it, so maybe it affects a lot of people who just havent noticed yet?

The last quest update had this;
"Next time you use Link or Air Link with your headset, you may notice improved image quality and text clarity thanks to Link Sharpening."
And I wonder if whatever they did there is just poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, but like, curious what the specs look like, what new technology, if any, particularly in regards to optics

Presumably whatever is in the developer edition for $2400 this year, will trickle down to the Quest 3 or 4

Renders are neat, but show me the numbers

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh loving hell yeah a charging base for the headset AND controllers? I’m all for that.

someone said that it might be because battery life is just that bad that the second you're not actively using them you have to drop them in the dock and... yeah, not so exciting if that turns out to be true

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, but like, curious what the specs look like, what new technology, if any, particularly in regards to optics

You asked what it looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

someone said that it might be because battery life is just that bad that the second you're not actively using them you have to drop them in the dock and... yeah, not so exciting if that turns out to be true

There will be three cameras in each controller instead of ir lights, apart of whatever microchip it does the processing, so I think that's the main reason of the dock, because the controller battery will be one magnitude smaller than now.