Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

is the new matrix out yet? when is that

christmas, according to the trailer in front of ⊃⋃⋂⊂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

the sound design on the lasers at about 30 seconds is way too good for a mel brooks movie. every time i see the clip i'm startled by how dangerous and powerful they sound.

they sound like the ones in star wars, as do the ship sounds

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
dang jewish space lasers

oof I wish I didn't live in a world where that is a possible sentence

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Watched DUNE, a fairly enjoyable if somewhat ponderous spectacle but I was comparing it with LynchDune all the way through (Also my early release copy was completely subless so I had to stop a little way in and go hunting.)

I think it'll hold up a lot better when I can watch the whole thing beginning to end in 2023 :o:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Watched DUNE, a fairly enjoyable if somewhat ponderous spectacle but I was comparing it with LynchDune all the way through (Also my early release copy was completely subless so I had to stop a little way in and go hunting.)

I think it'll hold up a lot better when I can watch the whole thing beginning to end in 2023 :o:

yeah it was disappointing when it left off

I was just like, please more

glad that it's more or less confirmed there will be a part 2

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was pretty okay with the "this is the first 40% of the book" aspect of denisdune because i still got so much enjoyment off the long cut aesthetic vibe scenes. I do understand why people are annoyed that they released a movie that is half a story but i mean whaddya gonna do

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah it was disappointing when it left off

lol at poor Jamis thinking he was getting an unexpected body-water bonus for the day and then getting absolutely clowned by a skinny kid - took Paul a few passes to get his speed but then it was like Neo one-handing Agent Smith at the end of the Matrix.

I thought they'd put in the 'Giving water for Jamis' scene where he cries, maybe that will come in part 2 when they arrive at the Fremen sietch but it felt like it would have fit where he took his dying hand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i decided to watch lynchdune again after denisdune and man. i couldn't get through it. i made it up to the landing on arrakis, and it was just so campy and dumb and disappointing.

i think i'm madder about it now than i was before i saw denisdune. if it weren't a dune movie, i probably would be able to enjoy it as some piece of 80s trash science fiction. but it is just so far away from what villeneuve achieved (which is basically exactly what dune was like in my head all along) that it's almost insulting. ugh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

(in re: jonny) yeah agreed. i fuckin hate this trend of every single dumbass popcorn movie being 2.5hrs+, but dune has enough stuff going on and a cool enough aesthetic that i'm down to just let it be long

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

i was pretty okay with the "this is the first 40% of the book" aspect of denisdune because i still got so much enjoyment off the long cut aesthetic vibe scenes. I do understand why people are annoyed that they released a movie that is half a story but i mean whaddya gonna do

it's dope that their will be a sequel

lynch dune was really lame in some ways but they had the giger furniture factor

and somehow the three hour version which I saw on UHF when I was pretty young holds up

the aesthetic was wrong I'm not sure why Lynch was so in love with Kyle Machlachlan

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol at poor Jamis thinking he was getting an unexpected body-water bonus for the day and then getting absolutely clowned by a skinny kid - took Paul a few passes to get his speed but then it was like Neo one-handing Agent Smith at the end of the Matrix.

I thought they'd put in the 'Giving water for Jamis' scene where he cries, maybe that will come in part 2 when they arrive at the Fremen sietch but it felt like it would have fit where he took his dying hand.

for something that relies on heart it's great when you just tear the heart out of everyone's motivation

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I think Lynch is just a very sweet man who legit makes friends with nice people that he works with. I'm not convinced there's some significant artistic craft thing going on there beyond that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he also appears to just make weird things he feels like making. maybe you like them, maybe you don't, doesn't really matter much.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the dunc baron is on screen for about 90 seconds but is still creepier than the lynch baron.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
yeah if I got to meet Trent Reznor and had him play the saxophone for me I would think I'm a big deal

but his early work is just wow

like I got shown Elephant Man in school and it was a great piece of film

and Eraserhead is not

sorry it's just something I don't get

and I don't think Lynch really got it but it does make you think (why am I watching this)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

shoeberto posted:

I think Lynch is just a very sweet man who legit makes friends with nice people that he works with. I'm not convinced there's some significant artistic craft thing going on there beyond that.

i completely agree with all of this. he knows a couple triggers to fire off but i don't think he's the cinema overlord a lot of people project upon his visage

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

i completely agree with all of this. he knows a couple triggers to fire off but i don't think he's the cinema overlord a lot of people project upon his visage

david foster wallace (infinite jest) interviewed him on the set of Lost Highway

he described him as aggressively normal

just a regular dude

also the Lost Highway soundtrack is up there with Natural Born Killers

apropos of nothing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i really like lost highway

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

also the Lost Highway soundtrack is up there with Natural Born Killers

apropos of nothing

They were both compiled by Trent Reznor. Marilyn Manson claimed he was supposed to do the Lost Highway soundtrack but Trent locked him out of the studio and did it himself lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yes! This was the omission from the book that bothered me most. That closing smile was 100% out of place.

I am not mad about it being part 1, I'll watch as many movies like this that they wanna make.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
part of whats wrong with lynch dune was that it's too much story crammed onto too little film

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TOOT BOOT posted:

They were both compiled by Trent Reznor. Marilyn Manson claimed he was supposed to do the Lost Highway soundtrack but Trent locked him out of the studio and did it himself lol

i did not know that but brian warner should be locked out of everything

and i thought it was a little rude for him to put his own music in but drat

L7 and everything made that movie what it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgL7JipWiss

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

Yes! This was the omission from the book that bothered me most. That closing smile was 100% out of place.

I am not mad about it being part 1, I'll watch as many movies like this that they wanna make.

really? i liked the part at the end when they smile, look directly into the camera, wink, and say “don’t forget to see movie number two!”

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
desert power

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

he described him as aggressively normal

Interviews with him are the best. There's a Charlie Rose one with him from the 90s that I've seen clips from. Normally those shows have curated zany stories or whatever, and Lynch is just talking about how he would get milkshakes from a diner every day, until he read the ingredients (lots of preservatives), and then he stopped getting them. And that was it.

I got a masterclass subscription last Christmas and watched Lynch's class on there, it was basically him being a sweet old grandpa telling stories about the fun he had making movies.

The guy is just so drat endearing.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTf9XEUIkU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

shoeberto posted:

Interviews with him are the best. There's a Charlie Rose one with him from the 90s that I've seen clips from. Normally those shows have curated zany stories or whatever, and Lynch is just talking about how he would get milkshakes from a diner every day, until he read the ingredients (lots of preservatives), and then he stopped getting them. And that was it.

I got a masterclass subscription last Christmas and watched Lynch's class on there, it was basically him being a sweet old grandpa telling stories about the fun he had making movies.

The guy is just so drat endearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HZKERbH5Yw

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/brianchaley/status/1455360229923647490

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

is the new matrix out yet? when is that
12/22/21 my doge

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

What I don't care for with Lynch is his ar' t for grotesquery. Like the Baron Pizzaface or the dude in Blue Velvet with whatever that was dangling out of his head or close-ups of people eating creamed corn or, perhaps most grotesque of all, a five-minute monologue by Michael Cera.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Chris Knight posted:

12/22/21 my doge

lol, nice date format you got there

not!!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
hey yospos. it is me, a poster. i wanted to talk to you a little bit about the book barn secret santa. at first when i visited the 'pos, i was very impressed with the knowledge of science fiction novels that was expressed. and that's why you're all invited to join the tbb secret santa if you'd like. :)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

What I don't care for with Lynch is his ar' t for grotesquery. Like the Baron Pizzaface or the dude in Blue Velvet with whatever that was dangling out of his head or close-ups of people eating creamed corn or, perhaps most grotesque of all, a five-minute monologue by Michael Cera.

i thought the michael cera scene was amusing

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sham bam bamina! posted:

hey yospos. it is me, a poster. i wanted to talk to you a little bit about the book barn secret santa. at first when i visited the 'pos, i was very impressed with the knowledge of science fiction novels that was expressed. and that's why you're all invited to join the tbb secret santa if you'd like. :)

my bad books are in storage until well maybe december

I have the full set of The Stainless Steel Rat including the really early one that does not jibe with the others

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Michael Cera is the dollar store Jesse Eisenberg

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i dont think i could believe jessie eisenburg punching jason bateman in the face though

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

Michael Cera is the dollar store Jesse Eisenberg

Jesse Plemens was called Meth Damon for a while but he is a loving legend for his age.

give it time?

ugh I don't care for Juno but Superbad was sweet and This is the End was cool because you got to watch Hollywood stars get tossed into the gaping maw

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

indigi posted:

Michael Cera is the Canadian Jesse Eisenberg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

On season 2 of babylon 5 now and I am not liking the new guy. The first commander had a very sisko like delivery of everything and the new guy is pretty boring and uninteresting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

On season 2 of babylon 5 now and I am not liking the new guy. The first commander had a very sisko like delivery of everything and the new guy is pretty boring and uninteresting so far.

he's serving game show host