Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I made my own First Class flying experience by fashioning a device out of wood that prevented the seat in front of me from reclining :smug: that's all i needed really

e: 7 is the only known number that is equal to 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Liar. We still haven't had one.

I got the train up to go see john macleod's grave, which was I guess a cool design and had a lovely if quite ill-informed letter of thanks from some random american tucked behind it. Then we had a quick look round some park with an big flagpole in it before going to spoons for the rest of the day. I would rate Aberdeen a solid 5/10 nondescript UK city all in all.

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, sometimes I watch Youtube videos by people who seem to spend their lives flying around the world on airmiles.

I also watch these and every time I resolutely claim that I will learn how to do all the sneaky credit card tricks and whatnot to get stupid numbers of airmiles so maybe I can have one single first class flight in my life, but then I look and it's... complicated. Plus you usually need to be spending quite a lot to accrue them - not insane tens of thousands a week money, but you'd definitely need to have good job and be pretty comfortably off to get close.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 2, 2021

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
You get an Amex and then put all your shopping through it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Total Meatlove posted:

You get an Amex and then put all your shopping through it.

Yeah, but iirc the bonuses are time-limited, so if you really want to get enough miles to realistically be able to afford a first class flight with them (and a long-haul one worth the time) you have to be spending at least something like 1.5k/month on the card for a few years. So it's doable if you're already pretty well off (or I guess on London salary/expenses) but not really doable for a lot of people, me included. At least that's what I remember but it was a few years ago I was looking into it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, but iirc the bonuses are time-limited, so if you really want to get enough miles to realistically be able to afford a first class flight with them (and a long-haul one worth the time) you have to be spending at least something like 1.5k/month on the card for a few years. So it's doable if you're already pretty well off (or I guess on London salary/expenses) but not really doable for a lot of people, me included. At least that's what I remember but it was a few years ago I was looking into it.

And this is why I watch the YouTube videos rather than try to replicate the lifestyle, it seems far too much effort never mind the cost.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The ‘spend 3000 to get 20,000 bonus points’ type ones are, but after that the points don’t drop, so it’s a cumulative thing over discretionary spending. Which given every supermarket and petrol station takes them, adds up.

Triple-bubbling your expenses into amex and hotel points gets you a talk from senior management, and if they’re decent, a positive one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I tried to do tourism in aberdeen once. After wandering around a bit i just gave up and went to the cinema. It was spy with melissa mccarthy, which was more entertaining than aberdeen

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes I park in the supermarket and then I expense the parking claim and then I buy something in the shop and redeem the ticket for the money back.

I am basically the third kray brother.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
they watered down the free amex last year so you can only reclaim the 2for1 on economy flights now, the one where you can reclaim business/first seats now charges a £250 annual fee

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Angepain posted:

I tried to do tourism in aberdeen once. After wandering around a bit i just gave up and went to the cinema. It was spy with melissa mccarthy, which was more entertaining than aberdeen

Aberdeen must have been loving awful then

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

Should have gone to the beach

Oct 4, 2005

Why are all the gob-shites on twitter going after David Attenborough?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He did climate change to one up his brother and those dinosaurs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is it just cause he mugged Johnson off by being a frail old man when Johnson was next to him unmasked

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I had 2 bottles of Kopparberg Pear cider & I'm pretty sure I'm half-cut. Becoming a lightweight is great.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just in case you hadn't worked out that the FBPEs are bad yet

https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1455510582472368131?s=20

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My work will be putting in a consultation response for the conversion therapy bill. I'd like to ensure our wonks are aware of the issues raised in the last thread. If there are any good early writeups I can direct to that would be appreciated, thanks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Was it when she wrote a 20,000 word essay that managed to somehow contain almost every single anti-trans conspiracy theory? Was that when she became a hate figure in the debate on gender and sex?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/MXOFO/status/1455254299907432454

Having a complete meltdown about non-EU salt and not, say, socioeconomic injustice or the looming climate apocalypse. :thumbsup:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's kinda weird to put that on tbh.

None of that filthy EU salt for me, I only consume the freshest seasalt from British poop shores.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
It'd be weirder if there weren't other chickens that mention EU originated 'erbs and spices.

Just the instant over reaction and boycotting that amused me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't they have to as part of some of the existing food agreements?

Like "non-EU salt and pepper" isn't a marketing thing, it's saying "this can't be sold in the EU without further checks" rather than "100% guaranteed that a Dutchman hasn't touched this salt and pepper with his disgusting Euro hands"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's just going to be the regulatory department being overly cautious about what they do and don't have to label in the new packaging rules, especially if something might go to NI.

Which is a dumb Brexit problem but not some malicious nationalist conspiracy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

peanut- posted:

I don’t much care for this version of Holly

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The non EU salt and pepper probably has radium or arsenic or something in it.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Went to the office last week for one day, first time in more than 18 months. One of my coworkers wanted a "real-life meeting day" and the bosses agreed.

Of course a couple days later someone else said that they've tested positive for covid-19. I'm negative according to my home test, but sheesh.

Was good to see coworkers in real life, some of them for the first time ever... but it wasn't worth it.

Bring back the drat lockdowns already, otherwise we will literally never get rid of this loving disease. :hotpickle:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly the whole idea of meeting people in real life is just odd to me, I almost never see anybody else I work with. Everything is managed remotely and always has been. Computer gives instructions, I follow instructions, computer gives me money at the end of month.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jaete posted:

Bring back the drat lockdowns already, otherwise we will literally never get rid of this loving disease. :hotpickle:

We're never getting rid of this, we just have to wait until it's just like the flu - killing thousands a year, but at a steady rate.
Good news though, we're speed running that bit!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's optional to go back to the office for my company. Nobody wants to. Especially as the company is incredibly strict about it. Max 5 people per floor. Say bathroom rotations no catering, set hours, no meeting rooms. In person meetings absolutely forbidden.

Basically it's only any use for new starters who haven't got Internet at their home yet.

Kinda makes the whole thing of office work being entirely pointless very obvious. Since the vast majority who wanted to go back just said some handwavey bullshit about ad hoc small meetings to get stuff done and solve problems.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Don't they have to as part of some of the existing food agreements?

Like "non-EU salt and pepper" isn't a marketing thing, it's saying "this can't be sold in the EU without further checks" rather than "100% guaranteed that a Dutchman hasn't touched this salt and pepper with his disgusting Euro hands"

Yeah the news story I read earlier that that is mandatory for minced meat but not whole chickens and Morrison’s had just been a bit overzealous in adding it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly the whole idea of meeting people in real life is just odd to me,

goons.txt

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

We're never getting rid of this, we just have to wait until it's just like the flu - killing thousands a year, but at a steady rate.
Good news though, we're speed running that bit!

Yeah I know my takes on the pandemic have been pretty heavily criticised itt, but this is the important thing to acknowledge. The initial lockdowns were not there to protect individual people, they were there to prevent hospitals being any more overwhelmed than they already were. Unless hospitalisations start shooting back up to where they were last year there will be no more lockdowns because as far as the government is concerned there is no need for them, outside of a few local ones maybe if things start to get strained. And tbh, there is probably an element of truth in the idea that the virus itself is not going to just go away whatever we do, so the end-goal does need to be accepting that covid is a thing now and will be endemic in the population and we need to focus on mitigating its impact rather than eradicating it wholesale. Yes, it is horrible that people are dying at all, but it is increasingly looking like the best-case long-term scenario is turning covid into another moderate-severity seasonal respiratory disease which can be planned for and protected against with some degree of effectiveness (for example with annual booster vaccines).

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

indeed, better things aren't possible

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I've got an on-site critical role at my company but 80%+ people are WFH. This means the office is totally free from overhearing shite chat and the gym upstairs is empty at all times. Also it's a 20 minute bus ride/15min cycle from my house... it aint so bad!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I am on a quite high London salary and I'm still not putting 1500 quid a month on my credit card even if I put my entire monthly discretionary spending on it - I mean it's not like you can pay rent with it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

feedmegin posted:

I am on a quite high London salary

I found a rich! Gettim!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jakabite posted:

That is mental but I’d absolutely be ordering something loving ridiculous if I was in that position.

I always thought first had your own little room with like an actual bed, is that not the case?

Only for long haul flights and only with some companies. Some companies like, I believe Etihad have ridiculous bullshit like full standing showers and private rooms, but for a lot of companies it's just Business+ (the plus stands for 'costs triple)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Miftan posted:

Only for long haul flights and only with some companies. Some companies like, I believe Etihad have ridiculous bullshit like full standing showers and private rooms, but for a lot of companies it's just Business+ (the plus stands for 'costs triple)

Etihad's 'residence' cabin is insane, it's basically a small apartment with seperate shower room/bedroom/living room and you get your own dedicated butler for the flight. You know, if you happen to have like 20k burning a hole in your pocket.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Does Aberdeen still have the guy in pseudo military dress who would stand down on John Street with a big pinboard connecting the dots between the queen and the nazis?

He's probably an anti vax guy now.

I remember that guy from uni, although be damned if I can remember his name now. Sad story - he went off the deep end after his Masters thesis was rejected and spent all his time hanging out on the High Street with a giant placard protesting the bias of Maxwell Irvine (who was chancellor at the time). Of course a year or so of that and you become completely unemployable. That was when he hit the Army Surplus stores and went full conspirasphere. Last I know of him was about 15 years ago; he was living in a tiny bedsit with army camo curtains and a giant board about Scottish nationalism in the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Of course a year or so of that and you become completely unemployable.
Or a newspaper columnist, depending on who your dad is.

I want to know why the thesis got rejected.