Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

poll plane variant posted:

They're insanely cheap and available outside the US though.

So what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

It means that the problem doesn't seem to be manufacturing. In fact, the manufacturer behind the mass-testing in the UK has basically been kicked out of the US iirc

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

It means that the problem doesn't seem to be manufacturing. In fact, the manufacturer behind the mass-testing in the UK has basically been kicked out of the US iirc

Economies of scale are a thing, but once those manufacturing limits are hit it takes months for all the pieces required to expand production to fall into place. If the tests are cheaper elsewhere than in the USA (and honestly $40 a test is pretty drat cheap for the market rate in the USA) then it might be because some governments went in on subsidizing the tests.

As for the UK test maker that got rejected, as I recall the tests they were making were so inaccurate that they were about as useful as a 23 And Me test.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cr0y posted:

Here's an idea: mandatory rapid testing when you get to the airport. Oh we aren't willing to do that? Cool, this will never get better.

Worthless cloth masks on an airplane sometimes unless you need a snack is throwing toothpicks at a freight train.

I'd rather just ban nonessential travel until the pandemic is brought under control.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

John_A_Tallon posted:

Economies of scale are a thing, but once those manufacturing limits are hit it takes months for all the pieces required to expand production to fall into place. If the tests are cheaper elsewhere than in the USA (and honestly $40 a test is pretty drat cheap for the market rate in the USA) then it might be because some governments went in on subsidizing the tests.

As for the UK test maker that got rejected, as I recall the tests they were making were so inaccurate that they were about as useful as a 23 And Me test.

Oh no it could take months and require government money?

We are nearly two years into this and have spent Idk how many trillions on it. I'm done with the excuse "well manufacturing is hard".

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'd rather just ban nonessential travel until the pandemic is brought under control.

This is a non starter in a capitalist society. For a good chunk of the country the pandemic is already "over".

cr0y fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 2, 2021

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

cr0y posted:

Oh no it could take months and require government money?

We are nearly two years into this and have spent Idk how many trillions on it. I'm done with the excuse "well manufacturing is hard".

This is a non starter in a capitalist society. For a good chunk of the country the pandemic is already "over".

Cool, you can be an rear end in a top hat all you want but that won't help you change the minds of the people who have control and power over the production lines and distribution systems.

The same expertise and equipment that can make antibodies for covid tests can make antibodies for all sorts of other tests too. Companies will chase profit, not the common good, unless they're forced to. The US government can force companies to divert production, but mostly has declined to because they're satisfied that they and the people they think actually matter are already protected enough. If you want that to change, get to work bud.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'd rather ban all travel, because COVID doesn't care what's essential and what isn't. Failing that, mandatory 2 week quarantines for all travelers.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 2, 2021

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Was it pleasant for her? Or is it possible for one thing to be unpleasant and for another thing to also be unpleasant?

She said she completely forgot she was wearing the mask in labor, because ya know—it was childbirth. She had other things she was focused on. Just slap on a loving surgical mask for a 12 hour flight, it's not a big deal and we all have to deal with regulations out of our control. It's still a raging pandemic spread via air with large swathes of the world unable to get the vaccine.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I have traveled a lot internationally during Covid. It is nothing like the madhouse of US domestic flights, though maybe US-UK routes are an exception. Unless things change dramatically with normal travel picking up, the actual in-flight experience is more comfortable than you are likely to ever experience again in your life, unless you fly private or something. You will probably have an entire row to stretch out in. There may be a handful of people in your entire section of the jet. You may forget that there even are cabin crew on board. It more than offsets the inconvenience of wearing a mask.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

cr0y posted:

Here's an idea: mandatory rapid testing when you get to the airport. Oh we aren't willing to do that? Cool, this will never get better.

Worthless cloth masks on an airplane sometimes unless you need a snack is throwing toothpicks at a freight train.

Not that I think the testing would be a bad idea, but: are airplanes and airports a particular hotbed of infections? Compared to bars, restaurants and private gatherings?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

freebooter posted:

Not that I think the testing would be a bad idea, but: are airplanes and airports a particular hotbed of infections? Compared to bars, restaurants and private gatherings?
Compared to any other indoor environment with people packed as tightly as they are in an airplane, the airplane has far superior ventilation. But it's still not going to compare to being outside.

outside >>> sparsely packed indoors > airplane >>> densely packed indoors

Bars are basically the worst scenario. Restaurants, private gatherings, and airports are all going to depend on how much distancing you can get and whether people are wearing masks.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

freebooter posted:

One particular aspect about airplanes is that they have vertical ventilation, which ends up being pretty effective. While I was initially dubious, after flying a couple times I could see why the airline studies on the issue had been so positive. A lot of the air that you are breathing is coming from a HEPA-filtered air vent that is about a foot from your mouth. I turn on all the vents in my row, and otherwise feel safer on the plane than in the airport.

Airports are a different matter, and you mostly need to rely on getting as much space from people as you can. Fortunately that's often pretty possible so long as you don't mind walking out of your way a bit. One thing I noticed is that you can really tell when one gate is headed to a covid-denying area, as the travelers become noticeably worse at wearing masks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even the Wall Street Journal is like “oopsie doodle. We may have told a widdle untruth about the safety of air travel in the first pandemic of the jet age”.

Individuals can do it with reasonable confidence if they put on PPE and don’t take it off till they’re at their final destination, but on a population level? It’s a disaster.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It should probably be pointed out that the WSJ article in question absolutely does not suggest that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well it’s still the Wall Street Journal.

They’re not going to give away all ground, just retreat to a position they think is defensible.

I’m not pointing to the article as a cogent analysis of the issue. If they were printing falsehoods this time last year, why in heaven’s name would they be telling the truth now?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 2, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Gio posted:

I teach for 7 hours a day in an N95, and you’re complaining about having to wear a mask on a flight for 12 hours?

is it not OK to think that wearing a mask for a 12 hour flight, while necessary and not a big deal in the scheme of things, is also generally an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

is it not OK to think that wearing a mask for a 12 hour flight, while necessary and not a big deal in the scheme of things, is also generally an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience?
It’s really not that big of a deal, but aside from that, context matters, and the context of his post came immediately after…

- I (and one other) shared personal anecdotes about serious breakthrough infections.
- Others were discussing the prevalence of breakthrough infections and hospitalization.

The whole point was to slyly say, “You guys are crazy, look at me living it up normally. It’s so normal to me, look at me complain about having to wear a mask, bc I don’t wear one unless forced. You’ll eventually give in. :)

It’s a loving troll, but because he maintained “decorum” it’s ok and you can’t say it is.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

That's nuts, and the world isn't actually out to get you personally.

In other news, while the NYC city workers unions have been trying to resist the vaccination mandate with sickouts, they appear to being working pretty well. The vaccination rate amongst emergency workers has jumped about 15 points since the mandate was announced on Oct. 20th. This bodes well for other American cities imposing similar requirements in the interest of public safety.

CNN posted:

De Blasio said Monday the start of a Covid-19 vaccine mandate has not resulted in service interruptions for the city police, fire and sanitation departments, though a high number of city employees called in sick, citing health reasons.

De Blasio said Monday 91% of all municipal employees have been vaccinated with at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine, including large percentages of first responders.

The NYPD has an 84% vaccination rate, up from 70% when the citywide vaccine mandate was announced October 20, de Blasio said.

NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said the department's vaccination percentage was 85%, with the vast majority of the remaining unvaccinated requesting accommodations for religious or medical reasons.

Members of the police department responded to this (vaccine mandate), they came to work as they always do and there is literally no effect on service at this point," Shea said Monday.

Shea earlier said the police department was also making plans for shortages, which included asking vaccinated NYPD officers to work overtime or double shifts.

The FDNY has a 77% vaccination rate, up from 58% when the mandate was announced. The city Department of Sanitation vaccination rate rose to 83% from 62%. Emergency Management Services went to 88% from 61%.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/us/new-york-city-vaccine-mandate-first-responder-shortage/index.html

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 2, 2021

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It's ok in the same sense that complaining about pants/shoes/shirt requirements is ok.

It's a thing you can do, but it's not very adult and it associates you with the bargaining with a force of nature crowd.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Kaal posted:

That's nuts, and the world isn't actually out to get you personally.
No, just that post personally, thank you for gaslighting.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

It's industrial PPE. People routinely exert themselves for 16+ hour shifts of heavy, toxic labor in industrial PPE. You just suck it up.

Manual labor is not childbirth. This is not a "this is physically hard" thing. It is not an "it is really long" thing. I get that sex ed here in the US is terrible, and if you've never been in a delivery room let alone given birth you do not really understand what it is. I certainly didn't before I was there for my daughter's birth.

Just a few of the reasons: a mask would inhibit breathing exercises that are useful for the management of pain during labor. It inhibits breathing during active labor that's necessary to birth the child. 16 hours of labor would be a relatively *quick* birth. A first-time induction, for instance, takes 24 hours on average.

Labor is not comparable to a long shift at a factory job, it's comparable to running a marathon without training, while passing a gallstone the size of a football. Labor is not something you "suck up". About hour 16 is when I finally got the inclination to take a closer look at why they had a locked case around the epidural drugs my wife had needed for 10 hours in increasing doses for her extreme pain, and realized it was Fentanyl.

On top of this, of course, is the fact that hospitals don't (because they can't) enforce people wearing PPE when staff aren't in the room, and you're there for the whole drat day. Labor lasts long enough that the woman can have a covid test upon admittance to the hospital, even if it it's a spontaneous labor. In fact, pre-labor can last so long you'd have been able to get the woman to the hospital to take a covid test and be sent home for the rest of pre-labor.

Making a woman in labor wear a mask is just asinine.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 2, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Gio posted:

It’s really not that big of a deal, but aside from that, context matters, and the context of his post came immediately after…

- I (and one other) shared personal anecdotes about serious breakthrough infections.
- Others were discussing the prevalence of breakthrough infections and hospitalization.

The whole point was to slyly say, “You guys are crazy, look at me living it up normally. It’s so normal to me, look at me complain about having to wear a mask, bc I don’t wear one unless forced. You’ll eventually give in. :)

It’s a loving troll, but because he maintained “decorum” it’s ok and you can’t say it is.

I don't know if there's some history between you and that poster, but it didn't read that way to me at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man...Moderna booster is no joke. First two shots I just felt like I got punched. This is different. It's really sore. Hurts to walk and hurts to just move my arm.

Worth it!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Man...Moderna booster is no joke. First two shots I just felt like I got punched. This is different. It's really sore. Hurts to walk and hurts to just move my arm.

Worth it!

I got it Friday and just got covid arm and a little tired. Same as the second one. First one didn't phase me at all. Either I'm Superwoman and never needed one or my immune system is toast and I'm gonna die of an infected hangnail any day now.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Xombie posted:

About hour 16 is when I finally got the inclination to take a closer look at why they had a locked case around the epidural drugs my wife had needed for 10 hours in increasing doses for her extreme pain, and realized it was Fentanyl..

Lol at the italics. What did you think they were giving her, Tylenol?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Xombie posted:

Making a woman in labor wear a mask is just asinine.

Rated respirators do not meaningfully impede breathing and covid has a long incubation period. Unless someone has isolated with multiple negative tests far from any other humans for 21 days or so you can't really say tests are useful replacements for source control. This isn't "bad sex ed", this is Americans being unwilling to see any reminder of the ongoing pandemic.

Edit: also "long shift at a factory job" isn't really what I was going for. "Long shift simultaneously remediating and archaeologically excavating a buried historic lead factory with picks and shovels in full hazmat suits in the middle of summer" is well within the range of what people do every day.

poll plane variant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 2, 2021

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gio posted:

I didn't call anyone crazy, although in my humble opinion, if one is fully vaccinated and sufficiently young and healthy, there's no particular reason to continue to self-isolate (with a big asterisk of "everyone's situation is obviously different"). Yes, breakthrough infections happen. No, their risk is not high enough to discourage most people from trying to go back to normal.

Not to sound insensitive — I know some people here have lost friends and loved ones to this pandemic — but the problem with this thread, and the one before it, has been that there's way too much moralizing, along with flinging insults and personal attacks. Those of us who have been trying to return to some semblance of normalcy are regarded with almost as much ridicule as anti-vaxxers are. It's part of why the thread doesn't get a lot of traffic, and has been mostly the same dozen or so posters for the past ten pages.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Slow News Day posted:

Those of us who have been trying to return to some semblance of normalcy are regarded with almost as much ridicule as anti-vaxxers are. It's part of why the thread doesn't get a lot of traffic, and has been mostly the same dozen or so posters for the past ten pages.

Things in the US *aren't* normal, and trying to act like they are is kinda naive

As for low post volume, well there's not much new stuff to discuss. Just a slow grind of +1000 people dying everyday, with no real end in sight

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

You are the one that set the bait and shared the info on your personal daily routine, no one else did.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

Things in the US *aren't* normal, and trying to act like they are is kinda naive

They aren't normal yet, but...

How does a pandemic start winding down? You are looking at it.

quote:

Kids, many of them newly vaccine-eligible, are back in school, with no massive surge of new coronavirus infections. Some older students, forced to mask, wear their face coverings as if they were chin guards.

The holidays are coming, and it won’t be like 2020 this time. It’s already obvious in the Halloween decorations, so over-the-top it looks like people are overcompensating for last year’s depressed trick-or-treating.

The pandemic appears to be winding down in the United States in a thousand subtle ways, but without any singular milestone, or a cymbal-crashing announcement of freedom from the virus.

“It doesn’t end. We just stop caring. Or we care a lot less,” Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said when asked when the pandemic would be over. “I think for most people, it just fades into the background of their lives.”

What Dr. Nuzzo says is exactly what we've been observing.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Even the Wall Street Journal is like “oopsie doodle. We may have told a widdle untruth about the safety of air travel in the first pandemic of the jet age”.

Individuals can do it with reasonable confidence if they put on PPE and don’t take it off till they’re at their final destination, but on a population level? It’s a disaster.

The 1968 flu pandemic killed roughly 4 million people and is one of the deadliest pandemics of the modern era. The 1957 flu it was descended from killed quite a few as well but I can't remember that number off the top of my head. Those were firmly in the jet age. Not attacking you personally it's just odd how we all remember the 1918 flu but don't collectively remember the other big pandemics of the 20th century.

EugeneDebsWasCool fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

The 1968 flu pandemic killed roughly 4 million people and is one of the deadliest pandemics of the modern era. The 1957 flu it was descended from killed quite a few as well but I can't remember that number off the top of my head. Those were firmly in the jet age. Not attacking you personally it's just odd how we all remember the 1918 flu but don't collectively remember the other big pandemics of the 20th century.

Bodies in the streets and mass graves tend to stick in the collective memory.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

I didn't call anyone crazy, although in my humble opinion, if one is fully vaccinated and sufficiently young and healthy, there's no particular reason to continue to self-isolate (with a big asterisk of "everyone's situation is obviously different").

Wearing a mask in a tightly packed enclosed space ≠ self-isolation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Insurrectum posted:

Wearing a mask in a tightly packed enclosed space ≠ self-isolation.

I never said don't wear a mask... one can still find masks annoying when worn for extended periods, right? Especially while sleeping?

Or is that not allowed either?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Slow News Day posted:

I never said don't wear a mask... one can still find masks annoying when worn for extended periods, right? Especially while sleeping?

There's no normal without a zero covid policy because of what any significant community spread does to the hospitals even at high vaxx (Singapore).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

p much everybody knows the lay of the land now...since like last summer it's been every goon for themselves, someone wants to return to normal okay whatever, not like you'll change their mind especially if they post here and aren't totally clueless about the risks, same as how nobody's gonna get talked out of being respirator crew at this point. What can ya do

It's probably almost certainly true that the biggest risk when flying is at the airport itself, though if a study has been done on it that wasn't performed by the airlines themselves I'd like to see it. Ya bars and restaurants and stuff are probably worse but the thing to keep in mind is that airports also have a bunch of those. If ventilation on an airplane wasn't extremely good nobody would want to fly, but that probably all goes out the window if the person next to you is noncompliant and coughing all over you. Hell you used to be able to smoke on airplanes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slow News Day posted:

Stop being such a baby and wear your mask like a big boy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Stop being such a baby and wear your mask like a big boy.

I'm coming into this late but didn't they say they were going to be wearing a mask? No need to be so lovely about it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Glad to see the 5-11 authorized. Was there any updated timeline for 2+?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

If ventilation on an airplane wasn't extremely good nobody would want to fly, but that probably all goes out the window if the person next to you is noncompliant and coughing all over you. Hell you used to be able to smoke on airplanes

I hadn't realized this but that's actually why plane ventilation is pretty decent: It's designed for filtering the air for a plane filled with smokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Slow News Day posted:

They aren't normal yet, but...

How does a pandemic start winding down? You are looking at it.

What Dr. Nuzzo says is exactly what we've been observing.

This article is focused on the social reality of a bunch of human animals running into their biological and psychological limits at once and losing interest, not the physical reality of the virus subsiding to manageable levels.