Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

I haven’t played Tales of Arise yet but I am confused by having a difficulty mode called “Moderate” that is harder than “Normal.” I feel like “Moderate” sounds like another name for “Normal” and not a separate mode. Weird choice in labeling there.

It’s in most Tales games, the difficulty is a sliding scale from Story > Easy > Normal > Moderate > Hard > Nightmare > Chaos. Iirc the Moderate modifiers to enemies are generally pretty slight compared to what you’d expect out of a proper Hard mode so it makes sense to just make it sound like a halfway option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

How far into it are you?

I got to the second-to-last story area and generally enjoyed each of the changes, but the later, tougher bosses and marks did sometimes get annoying, as they seemed to deal too much damage too quickly. The fights would turn into long attrition / tug-of-war battles, wth my party members getting into death-revival loops that seemed to last forever. Eventually I just lost interest... I was so close too...

(Reminder to get the pc mod that makes it so that Steal gambits only work if enemies have stealables available)

Only at Raithwall’s tomb right now. That does seem to track with what I’ve seen of some of the lategame hunt marks and espers in videos: it seems easy to get stuck in death/revival loops that last ages. Hell, that can happen in the vanilla game with some later optional bosses. I wouldn’t be surprised if the mod creator swung a bit too hard on boosting the damage of endgame bosses, which is really the only thing I’m apprehensive about.

Really the only thing bosses like Ultima and Zodiark needed was more HP so they don’t melt before they can present a threat, not more damage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh come on they made unkillable aliens on Dead Space gently caress me whyyyyyyy :gonk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

everyeone who has trouble with that boss fight and is going to buy smt5... well let s just say many laughs are abotu to be had :D

to be FAIR that was like the only fight in the game that required any sort of tactical thinking beyond "hit the weakness" especially bc that game already had the problem of most bosses basically just being damage slugfests

it was actually cool to figure out how to get the party composition to get the full boosted baton pass going but that's like the only time in the entire game where even thinking tactically is necessary

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which persona 5 boss is this... I don’t remember struggling with any of them :cool:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thank you, I needed this as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

Which persona 5 boss is this... I don’t remember struggling with any of them :cool:

it was the restaurant CEO guy boss, and it was only on Royal where you had to kill groups of enemies in like two turns or they'd full heal

the way you did it was to use the damage boosts you got from full baton pass relays to hit them all with a maximized baton pass sweep attack but a lot of people got stuck because persona simply isn't a very tactical game for 99% of it and suddenly being asked to play it that way was a brick wall

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

You played the normal version IIRC, they all got changed in Royal. Shadow Okumura is much harder in Royal and is basically a baton pass test.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

You played the normal version IIRC, they all got changed in Royal. Shadow Okumura is much harder in Royal and is basically a baton pass test.

The big thing people would gently caress up was using a sweep attack to start with because knocking down every enemy with the first attack means you can't extend the baton pass beyond 1

i actually really liked figuring that fight out but it really made a lot of people mad lol. also because weaknesses are more damaging to both you and enemies on harder difficulties, the fight is actually easier on Merciless

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The big thing people would gently caress up was using a sweep attack to start with because knocking down every enemy with the first attack means you can't extend the baton pass beyond 1

i actually really liked figuring that fight out but it really made a lot of people mad lol. also because weaknesses are more damaging to both you and enemies on harder difficulties, the fight is actually easier on Merciless

Yeah Merciless is actually kind of easier in general than Hard a lot of the time, assuming you have a decent grasp on the weakness and technical mechanics. If you do, you can just sweep through things on Merciless in a way that you can't quite as quickly on Hard. I played Royal on Hard but I did turn it up to Merciless for that boss since everyone was talking about it and it was pretty fun to see my weakness hits doing like 3x normal damage.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Finished up Horizon Zero Dawn over the weekend and I think that game would have been a lot better as anything other than an Ubisoft open world clone. It's not to say I didn't have a good time with it at the end of the day but it could have easily be a tight 12-16 hour experience with a lot of the same plot beats and set pieces and would have been a lot better for it. I think it's too bad that the most interesting stuff in that game is largely left for you to read about in found communications from the before-times and through the game just sitting there and having Sylens do exposition at you. It felt like the writers had so much in their heads that they entirely abandoned "show" in favor of "tell." The central thematic stuff that is central to the world being the way it is really just made me want to get back to running through the Metal Gear Solid games because they have themes that are sort of pointed in the same direction but executed infinitely better than Horizon was. Probably worth checking out if you're a F A N O F T H E G E N R E, or need something to sink an absurd number of hours into, or you can get it real cheap. It was a delightful visual feast in 4k and I really enjoyed tooling around in photo mode, which is one of the best photo modes I've played around with (in stark contrast to Doom Eternal which makes you replay a level before ever even having access to photo mode).

I've been absolutely thrilled playing Metal Gear Solid the last couple days. It's so good and such a masterful game. Kojima is so loving FTW.

Amp fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 2, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Finished up Horizon Zero Dawn over the weekend and I think that game would have been a lot better as anything other than an Ubisoft open world clone. It's not to say I didn't have a good time with it at the end of the day but it could have easily be a tight 12-16 hour experience with a lot of the same plot beats and set pieces and would have been a lot better for it. I think it's too bad that the most interesting stuff in that game is largely left for you to read about in found communications from the before-times and through the game just sitting there and having Sylens do exposition at you. It felt like the writers had so much in their heads that they entirely abandoned "show" in favor of "tell." The central thematic stuff that is central to the world being the way it is really just made me want to get back to running through the Metal Gear Solid games because they have themes that are sort of pointed in the same direction but executed infinitely better than Horizon was. Probably worth checking out if you're a F A N O F T H E G E N R E, or need something to sink an absurd number of hours into, or you can get it real cheap. It was a delightful visual feast in 4k and I really enjoyed tooling around in photo mode, which is one of the best photo modes I've played around with (in stark contrast to Doom Eternal which makes you replay a level before ever even having access to photo mode).

I've been absolutely thrilled playing Metal Gear Solid the last couple days. It's so good and such a masterful game. Kojima is so loving FTW.

I do want to play HZD (esp now that it's on PC) sometime but yeah I'm put off by anything that's an open world game RN unless it's really designed around being an open world game rather than using the open world as an excuse to C+P a bunch of sidequests and other content together and artificially extend the gameplay experience.

You playing the OG PS1 MGS?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I do want to play HZD (esp now that it's on PC) sometime but yeah I'm put off by anything that's an open world game RN unless it's really designed around being an open world game rather than using the open world as an excuse to C+P a bunch of sidequests and other content together and artificially extend the gameplay experience.

I will say HZD doesn’t really do the thing with the copy/pasted side quests. It has lots of side quests but I don’t remember it having a bunch of samey tasks scattered around. The only Far Cry-ish elements are the towers and the bandit camps, but they at least try to make those fun and they tie the camps together with a weird side quest featuring a character who just absolutely loves killing and watching you kill.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I tend to start games on hard because a lot of games are pretty easy and I like having a challenge.

I'm also not above lowering the difficulty if it starts getting too aggravating. If hard expects you to grind a bunch if you want to do more than 1 damage per hit, you bet your rear end I'm moving back down to medium.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
HZD definitely has standard open world stuff, there are a couple of different collectible sets and a lot of quests of the same "briefing, go to place, kill stuff, debriefing" template. Its main draw is supposed to be the robot combat and story.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
HZD is wonderful and one of the most best games I have played and I am going to enjoy HFW next year immensely. :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

HZD is wonderful and one of the most best games I have played and I am going to enjoy HFW next year immensely. :D

You and I both. I am really hyped for this, and Gran Turismo 7 the most.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

HZD definitely has standard open world stuff, there are a couple of different collectible sets and a lot of quests of the same "briefing, go to place, kill stuff, debriefing" template. Its main draw is supposed to be the robot combat and story.

Yeah maybe I don't remember the repeated "go to place, kill thing" quests just because it's been a long time since I've played.

I would definitely say the biggest draw of HZD is the robot combat. I'm still impressed that the Thunderjaw battle they showed in their reveal trailer, which I assumed was 100% scripted, ended up being pretty much how the game actually plays.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the merits of HZD’s gameplay aside, its writing is not remotely comparable to kojima’s. while its climate change focus is excellent (and probably the most honest depiction in AAA games period) its main strength is character drama - specifically for the people who aren’t in lovely caveman costumes - and that’s something kojima is infamously terrible with. he’s a concept-based writer, the majority of his characters are two gimmicks and a pile of exposition for a larynx

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was Light Crusader a good game?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's an entertaining enough game, though you gotta like the roguelike elements it has.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Monkey Fracas posted:

You playing the OG PS1 MGS?

Yeah, playing through the HD collection but they just include a code for the PS1 version of MGS. I should probably play Twin Snakes some day though.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the merits of HZD’s gameplay aside, its writing is not remotely comparable to kojima’s. while its climate change focus is excellent (and probably the most honest depiction in AAA games period) its main strength is character drama - specifically for the people who aren’t in lovely caveman costumes - and that’s something kojima is infamously terrible with. he’s a concept-based writer, the majority of his characters are two gimmicks and a pile of exposition for a larynx

The stuff I'm specifically talking about is the first time the game really reveals why the machines are rogue and they talk about seeding weapons on both sides of a conflict and that FRS was profiting off of war.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The stuff I'm specifically talking about is the first time the game really reveals why the machines are rogue and they talk about seeding weapons on both sides of a conflict and that FRS was profiting off of war.

the plot doesn’t even treat that as a revelation, it’s just capitalism at work

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The old world lore in Horizon Zero Dawn is incredibly bleak. The future is just a few select megacorporations fighting over their various spheres of influence in automated warfare without borders, and most nations entirely powerless to stand against them.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah, playing through the HD collection but they just include a code for the PS1 version of MGS. I should probably play Twin Snakes some day though.

Ah yeah I feel like PS1 MGS holds up alright- bit of jank here and there but not too bad. I'm of two minds on Twin Snakes because it smooths out the gameplay but also allows you to use first person aiming in a way the original game never did which kinda screws with the game design a little. Still overall worth checking out though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUQuw2bstg8

kinda sounds like The Toasters or something lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Always play Just Cause on baby-easy difficulty and also with that mod that lets things respawn

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The old world lore in Horizon Zero Dawn is incredibly bleak. The future is just a few select megacorporations fighting over their various spheres of influence in automated warfare without borders, and most nations entirely powerless to stand against them.

well at least the automated warfare is exciting, we got all the other poo poo but all the warfare we get is really tragic poor human on poor human violence

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

very funny to claim this when u have death stranding with some of the best performances ever and incredible capture and animation vs hzds soulless robot npcs who are unable to evoke any emotion at any point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

very funny to claim this when u have death stranding with some of the best performances ever and incredible capture and animation vs hzds soulless robot npcs who are unable to evoke any emotion at any point.

Princess Beach

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stux posted:

sometimes it's like you're experiencing a different reality while trying to describe it to everyone else in the regular world everyone else shares

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Princess Beach
yeah that's a great line, I agree

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

if HZD had nvidia hairworks it would have been a better game

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

if HZD had nvidia hairworks it would have been a better game

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

HZD has some real janky character performances, but Aloy owns and I stan.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hzd is ok

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Andrast posted:

hzd is ok

Yeah that's where I ended up mostly, I can see why people love it but it wasn't a thing that was going to make me go wild for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rarity posted:

Oh come on they made unkillable aliens on Dead Space gently caress me whyyyyyyy :gonk:

Did you try cutting off the limbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Princess Beach

wouldl love an explaination from someone why this is a slam on the game, i assume its from epoeple just seeing a screenshot and not getting it

Khanstant posted:

sometimes it's like you're experiencing a different reality while trying to describe it to everyone else in the regular world everyone else shares

every npc in that game looks and acts like a robot and the automated animation is absolutely atrocious. the fact its also telling a stupid and borderline offensive story and taking the cool idea of "robot dinosaurs" and turning it into "climb the robot dinosaur tower" means it must be consigned to the trash can of gaming history where it belongs.