Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

INSERT INTO JAMES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

killer snipe :jamez:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

INSERT INTO JAMES

Go on...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

error: user does not have permission to insert into james

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

error: user does not have permission to insert into james

sudo !!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao. there's a DLL in this application that an old aspx page uses (because I haven't rewritten it) and every time you debug it tries to load symbols from 'petes machine' on an open network share from 15+ years ago

rofl petes machine made me think of gobs program

Y/N? :ins:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
PETUS
PETUS
PETUS

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"config transforms are an easy way to disable debug and enable optimisations when publishing" my rear end Microsoft, this poo poo flat out doesn't work.

in before Shaggar to say that it was in fact my fault for missing a node in the path because there are two <location> tags in this config for some reason I don't care to understand

e: though shoutout to the MS docs saying "there can only be one <compilation> node therefore a locator is not required" which fails to note the possibility of that node not being under the config root.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am once again annoyed at how long our solution takes to rebuild from scratch (3m30s on my machine typically) and will proceed to waste a few hours seeing if i can figure out how to make it build faster before giving up and doing nothing

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Bloody posted:

i am once again annoyed at how long our solution takes to rebuild from scratch (3m30s on my machine typically)
Oh really, that long? :allears:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yes, and i am aware of how much worse it could be, i used to do fpga development where half an hour was quick and measuring it in hours or days was common

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

3m30s is substantially longer than i will sit here and wait so i invariably alt tab to elsewhere and lose my train of thought and as a result an actual iteration cycle takes like 20 minutes instead of like 2

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

a message received today "I am using every weapon in my arsenal to try and resolve this issue with the display in debug" apparently not the one that hits F12 to see which CSS files aren't loading though :negative:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a message received today "I am using every weapon in my arsenal to try and resolve this issue with the display in debug" apparently not the one that hits F12 to see which CSS files aren't loading though :negative:

at least they’re being honest about it

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
my last job was real proud of getting their build+automation test suite down to <12h so if they started it end of office hours you could expect to see a result waiting for you in the morning

mystes
May 31, 2006

zokie posted:

my last job was real proud of getting their build+automation test suite down to <12h so if they started it end of office hours you could expect to see a result waiting for you in the morning
What did you you do if it failed though?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

What did you you do if it failed though?

in our case, poo poo just got postponed for however many days/weeks it took to get the loving thing to do a full run

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
it was possible to run most tests manually so you could often fix things with a less lovely feedback loop. I suggested running things more parallel but of course that didn’t work because lol who makes sure that their tests are isolated from each other?

at my current job we are setting up automation tests and I shoved playwright down everyone’s throat because of how parallel it can run all the tests

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

at least they’re being honest about it

24 hours later and they still haven't worked it out. 2 minutes of looking and this is a static html error page (so not templated for some unknown reason) that contains a static relative path that's no longer valid because I had to update the bundling paths to sort out something else last week.

I told everyone this had been done. The commit comment says it was done. The display issue is quite clearly a 404 to a fixed CSS path and yet here we are!

also the error page is the one that just says "you don't have access to this application" because they haven't added their permissions :rolleyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe they think the error page is the problem, not the misssing css

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just replace the error message with "everything is working fine", problem solved

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

return html error CC

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

maybe they think the error page is the problem, not the misssing css

yes but also that the CSS was the cause of the error page (???). they also got the db creds and target wrong and got a bunch of errors there too

I think the worst thing is that all of this was logged and the logs were saying "hey, you have no access, this call failed" and "your sql creds are wrong wtf" but they didn't even look at them. or actually try and use the debugger.

Sometimes I feel like just reading logs and searching the solution for strings seems to be a super power.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

24 hours later and they still haven't worked it out. 2 minutes of looking and this is a static html error page (so not templated for some unknown reason) that contains a static relative path that's no longer valid because I had to update the bundling paths to sort out something else last week.

I told everyone this had been done. The commit comment says it was done. The display issue is quite clearly a 404 to a fixed CSS path and yet here we are!

also the error page is the one that just says "you don't have access to this application" because they haven't added their permissions :rolleyes:

this sounds a lot like you broke something and are getting indignant about it instead of just fixing it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

this sounds a lot like you broke something and are getting indignant about it instead of just fixing it

well, yes and no. the fact that the missing CSS path came up is good, because it's a page we'd never normally see (you only get it if you don't exist, which we normally always do on the test db), that's not really the problem and I have fixed it already. the problem is that this dev has seemingly done nothing since monday ( I wasn't around that day) and at no point thought to look at why he was getting the "you don't exist page" or look at any logs, or even see what the debug output was telling him ("you don't exist").

how do you just sit there for 24 hours like it's some magical unknown and unsolvable problem without thinking "hmmm maybe between the logs, the source code and the debugger I could work this out". he had even just looked at another environment with the same code but a different database and not even thought "if it works there, maybe there is something different about my profile?"

idk I feel like problem solving seems to be a missing and unteachable skill sometimes. I blame nobody having spent hours fiddling with bat files to make games work now they've all got iPads and it's a one click :corsair:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yes but also that the CSS was the cause of the error page (???). they also got the db creds and target wrong and got a bunch of errors there too

I think the worst thing is that all of this was logged and the logs were saying "hey, you have no access, this call failed" and "your sql creds are wrong wtf" but they didn't even look at them. or actually try and use the debugger.

Sometimes I feel like just reading logs and searching the solution for strings seems to be a super power.

reading logs & googling errors is 1000x programmer poo poo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

idk I feel like problem solving seems to be a missing and unteachable skill sometimes. I blame nobody having spent hours fiddling with bat files to make games work now they've all got iPads and it's a one click :corsair:

if they're junior or new, why not sit down and teach them it then

edit: this comes from a place of being constantly looked down upon throughout my career for not having the exact same base knowledge as some coworkers (lets say java) despite having very deep experience doing other stuff (sysadmin/unix/dc work) and never being given the benefit of the doubt

i have promised myself to be more patient with anyone coming to me in the same situation and thus try really hard to lead people through the problem a la "how to solve it"

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 3, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cjs: writing increasingly verbose cloud console incantations with a somehow still growing list of optional arguments

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Share Bear posted:

if they're junior or new, why not sit down and teach them it then

edit: this comes from a place of being constantly looked down upon throughout my career for not having the exact same base knowledge as some coworkers (lets say java) despite having very deep experience doing other stuff (sysadmin/unix/dc work) and never being given the benefit of the doubt

i have promised myself to be more patient with anyone coming to me in the same situation and thus try really hard to lead people through the problem a la "how to solve it"

not junior enough to excuse this completely, but I'm not (quite) as much of an rear end in a top hat about it irl

sometimes though....idk. I'm worse with business teams because I get a lot of questions like "can you provide us with confirmation that everything is 100% accurate and then a file that compares the data to the data to check that the data is the same as what we expect it to be for our metrics" and it's just...what?

today someone literally said "can you give us a report to send to the regulators that confirms that the data is all correct?" I wish I could because if I had a list of 'all the correct data' then we wouldn't need to check it!!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Carthag Tuek posted:

reading logs & googling errors is 1000x programmer poo poo

googling errors is starting to become useless with google just replacing every search term with something that is kind of similar and then showing you results for that search instead

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

can we add "able to actually read MS docs without going crosseyed or getting a headache"? I have not mastered this myself if I'm honest but I feel like I can aspire to one day being able to actually make sense of the technet structure

e: AI data project 1.0 meeting today: "so what's the operating model for this data?" "We asked the project steering committee and they told us it was all in hand, but then they cancelled all the meetings and the slide that describes it is blank" lmao nice.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Wheany posted:

googling errors is starting to become useless with google just replacing every search term with something that is kind of similar and then showing you results for that search instead

god this pisses me off

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“how to do x in .net framework” will give you a million results about how to do x in .net core

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

have you considered using a good search engine, such as duck duck go

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i actually gave ddg another go a couple of months ago because google has become so bad, but somehow ddg is even worse

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:wrong:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i set ddg as my default engine months ago & it was annoying at first (aaaa it looks different :qq:) but its pretty rare that i jump over to google now (and then usually for google books or scholar)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ddg is fine for technical stuff and recipes but not fine for like local searches ime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

no he's right. i use ddg as my default engine but sometimes i have to revert back to google if ddg isn't getting me what i want