Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

You're really never doing anything good out at 3:30 in the morning.

In Vegas you could just be getting a 99 cent breakfast buffet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AndrewP posted:

IIRC the guy he hit was illegally walking across a highway or something so that was probably a mitigating circumstance

Was this ever proven? He very well could have been jaywalking but wasn't it just Stallworth's drunken word on that? He also claimed to have flashed his lights at the guy to warn him which seems odd.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Elephanthead posted:

In Vegas you could just be getting a 99 cent breakfast buffet.

Last time I was in Vegas even the strip club gave me a free ride back to my hotel in the morning

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Immediate advice he's gotten be given, based on my way limited knowledge, but he's still seeing prison time if he pleas NC.

And yes to someone who asked - the NFL still has the car service available, and you get charged as an organization. The organization can either charge the players or eat the cost. Nearly NONE of the players use it, but I've met one of the drivers one evening and they're all security detail as well. So they have UBER drivers who carry guns but are retired military/police etc.

Even if the org makes you pay for it yourself, you're worth tens of millions. $500 for a pickup every friday is what, 25k? Cmon man.

Are you sure of this? How does this work? They have this setup in every city with an NFL team? They have this setup in cities that players are likely to visit on their off days or during bye weeks? Who is going to run a car service in god knows how many cities across America and have it hardly get used.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

The fact Ruggs isn't already cut is gross

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1455601557148512256/photo/1

The statement makes it sound very much like they plan to get rid of him once he's arrested (he absolutely will be after he's out of the hospital, the question is just how much time he does)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Tim Whatley posted:

The fact Ruggs isn't already cut is gross

https://twitter.com/tashanreed/status/1455606146497073152

That's why

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Are you sure of this? How does this work? They have this setup in every city with an NFL team? They have this setup in cities that players are likely to visit on their off days or during bye weeks? Who is going to run a car service in god knows how many cities across America and have it hardly get used.

From what I understand of it, they got rid of their own and just literally use a special UBER service now.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
He's hosed. There are a few places in America where DUIs get pled down but that's largely a relic of entrenched good old boy culture and the former difficulty of proving impairment.

He's hosed on the evidence. DUI evidence collection has been idiot-proofed to an insane degree.They probably have a blow if they contacted him at the scene. They absolutely have his blood. Challenging a blow is difficult enough, but good loving luck with a blood draw too.

He's hosed on a goodwill plea. There's no hemming and hawing about evidence and there's a legit citizen victim with a family and a city full of have somes with zero sympathy for the rich kid with the fancy car.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Niwrad posted:

Was this ever proven? He very well could have been jaywalking but wasn't it just Stallworth's drunken word on that? He also claimed to have flashed his lights at the guy to warn him which seems odd.

Yes, Stallworths case pretty clearly showed the old dude Jay walked and ran into the road hopping a barrier. That’s textbook.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

“I love the man, I hate the sin," quarterback Derek Carr said.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

He's hosed. There are a few places in America where DUIs get pled down but that's largely a relic of entrenched good old boy culture and the former difficulty of proving impairment.

He's hosed on the evidence. DUI evidence collection has been idiot-proofed to an insane degree.They probably have a blow if they contacted him at the scene. They absolutely have his blood. Challenging a blow is difficult enough, but good loving luck with a blood draw too.

He's hosed on a goodwill plea. There's no hemming and hawing about evidence and there's a legit citizen victim with a family and a city full of have somes with zero sympathy for the rich kid with the fancy car.

Challenging a blow isn’t difficult whatsoever depending on quite a few circumstances.

For one, most precincts forget to update their software, and the intoxilizer (been 9 years since i handled a crim defense thing so forgive bad memory) has weird accuracy issues if you don’t update the software

You’re dead on about blood though.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Leonard Little played 12 years!

Manslaughter conviction

After leaving a birthday party in 1998, Little crashed into and killed Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, Missouri who was on her way to pick up her son from a concert. When tested, his blood alcohol content was 0.19 percent, 0.11 points exceeding the legal limit of 0.08 in the state of Missouri. Little received four years probation and was ordered to undergo a thousand hours of community service.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He will plea to 2 years prison and once he is released will be signed by the Bucs.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

are you the attorney for henry ruggs the third

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

From what I understand of it, they got rid of their own and just literally use a special UBER service now.

Ah, well that makes more sense.

But if I were a player, I'd wanna deal with UBER directly. So I can imagine why it doesn't get "used" very often from the NFLPA's perspective.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Stephen Ross has already asked permission to talk to Ruggs, being quoted as saying “well I’m already on my way to Houston so why not just fly a bit further”

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Black Sunshine posted:

Leonard Little played 12 years!

Manslaughter conviction

After leaving a birthday party in 1998, Little crashed into and killed Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, Missouri who was on her way to pick up her son from a concert. When tested, his blood alcohol content was 0.19 percent, 0.11 points exceeding the legal limit of 0.08 in the state of Missouri. Little received four years probation and was ordered to undergo a thousand hours of community service.

Jesus Christ

And he got a DUI in 2004. Wow

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

They sub contract out. Every one of these nice car services, even with the protection aspect, exists for people other than players.

As for the accuracy… this was 2 years ago and the driver was driving for someone that y’all loving *hate* but was a higher $ player, going to a charity golf event held by my buddy’s grandpa. Player and driver both said it’s available via NFLPA so not sure if that means you’ve gotta be active roster to get it or?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

I am (unfortunately) an attorney so that avatar is kind of exactly the joke :)

Yeah, I dunno, maybe the facts are particularly bad here (given what Diva posted about the car being on fire), and they really try to stick it to him. But it would be very surprising if he got 2+ years in prison, unless (even more) horrible facts emerge. (1) It's the reality of plea bargaining - they charge the highest possible thing they could charge you with and use the leverage to secure a lesser plea, (2) if Ruggs is actively cooperating, they won't want to go too hard after a high profile cooperator--might discourage cooperation in other cases, and (3) Ruggs is very rich.

I bet he gets 3-6 months in prison, max, plus a significant probation period or whatever the equivalent is in Nevada.
I think in the Stallsworth case they had some sort of gotcha because the guy he struck was "illegally crossing"

Don't think Ruggs will benefit from that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mr Nice is a walking florida crim law textbook so him weighing in would be good too

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A Corvette rear-ended a RAV4, completely destroying it and killing the driver

Was Riggs loving drag racing or something, good lord

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Doesn't sound like the NFL will be able to sweep this one under the rug.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I'm a pleb state worker in Vegas that takes a $70 Lyft to the Strip when I'm going to be drinking even though I live 20 mins away.

There was a traffic safety event in Boulder City the other day to try and raise awareness about pedestrians and a truck almost killed a lady walking across the street while they were filming.

Nov 6, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Doesn't sound like the NFL will be able to sweep this one under the rug.

That's what happens you use a carr like a weapon.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Doesn't the NFL have a program where you just call a number and they'll send out a driver?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Challenging a blow isn’t difficult whatsoever depending on quite a few circumstances.

For one, most precincts forget to update their software, and the intoxilizer (been 9 years since i handled a crim defense thing so forgive bad memory) has weird accuracy issues if you don’t update the software

You’re dead on about blood though.

My dude intoxoilizers are three gens behind the current hand held models that get automatically plug and play tested and recertified as accurate against a known sample nightly. The machines (excuse me, instruments) are smarter than most cops and will catch and correct procedural fuckups. There's a reason the pro move a few years ago became "refuse all tests, gently caress the consequences" and even that's been countered. Most counties over 10,000 have an on-call magistrate that will authorize a blood draw at the first sign of reindeer games.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm sure the league and the individual teams have programs and they probably work but you just never hear about them

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My dude intoxoilizers are three gens behind the current hand held models that get automatically plug and play tested and recertified as accurate against a known sample nightly. The machines (excuse me, instruments) are smarter than most cops and will catch and correct procedural fuckups. There's a reason the pro move a few years ago became "refuse all tests, gently caress the consequences" and even that's been countered. Most counties over 10,000 have an on-call magistrate that will authorize a blood draw at the first sign of reindeer games.

Holy moly. How things have changed.

And yeah tbf in Florida the pro move has always been to say no to every test. Im curious if thats changed in the past few years.

Do you do crim def in NV?

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 2, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/byesline/status/1455606754834739201?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
As far a I know (I am not a lawyer anymore) it is still always better in florida to refuse to blow as first refusal results in the same license suspension that a dui would. This may also be the case for second refusal but I’d have to look things up and can’t be bothered to do so right now.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

As far a I know (I am not a lawyer anymore) it is still always better in florida to refuse to blow as first refusal results in the same license suspension that a dui would. This may also be the case for second refusal but I’d have to look things up and can’t be bothered to do so right now.

I forgot you made a move. Financial sector ?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Holy moly. How things have changed.

And yeah tbf in Florida the pro move has always been to say no to every test. Im curious if thats changed in the past few years.

Do you do crim def in NV?

One state over. The problem(?) with DUI defense is that the sheer number of them forced a technical solution to spotty evidence collection and it's designed to be simple and easy for the dumbest cop to quickly and easily collect solid samples on the scene. In many states now (not sure about Nevada) you don't even need to prove impairment, you can proceed on just the number. It's led to situations where the prosecution will ask to bar all audio and video of the scene where a defendant is lucid and sober looking as irrelevant.

This is probably veering into derail territory, but I tend to have sympathy for people's first DUI because how the gently caress do you know what your limits are? The most enlightening thing I ever did was do was volunteer for a cop training session where the goal is to get test subjects right on the line. I was shocked at how drunk I felt at .08 but there's no way I would have known what the line was.

Mr. Nice! posted:

In my jurisdiction it's the same way. They'll laugh at you for accepting the automatic suspension, then speed dial the on-call magistrate who walks them through a five minute telephonic hearing to authorize a blood draw warrant. If the dude is insistent enough about a refusal it can take less time than just doing the blow.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 2, 2021

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I dunno, a friend of mine was murdered by a drunk driver while on his bike. The guys first offense (he was 60?), upstanding citizen, pled no contest and gave the family (he had 2 young kids) literally all his money in the civil case. Judge gave him 9 years in jail.

I know it depends a bit on situation but the days of DUI death only resulting in like 30 days of jail are largely a relic of the past.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy crap that’s fascinating they’ve produced these new checks/measures using tech to wipe off the common defenses

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/CodySuek/status/1455611070047981569?t=dmPcRwnG_vhstl9p63boiA&s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Amy Pole Her posted:

I forgot you made a move. Financial sector ?

I’m working on a PhD in finance.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Lmao Dwayne loving Bowe

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What exactly are the Browns doing that is wrong? He's there and he's playing. His contract is very hard to trade.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
His not doing well so he’s lashing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Browns legend Dwayne Bowe :unsmith: