Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah if you want to do that for fun or to see content or whatever go nuts. if you want to do that because you want all the achievements then you can go kick rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It is written in Wisdom 1:11, “a lying mouth destroys the soul”. It follows from Scripture that an attempt to acquire the Steel Soul through lies contradicts itself and cannot truly succeed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On one hand I don't see the point in cheating to get achievements, but on the other hand I also don't see the point in complaining about other people cheating in a singleplayer game for any reason.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’re not complaining about them, we’re making fun of them for being huge losers. Cheating at a video game to fool around and have fun and feel powerful is totally normal, cheating at a video game for e-peen achievements is literally giving yourself a blue ribbon medal for being bad at video games, and that’s extremely funny, IMO.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
small brain: you should cheat at video games to get achievements

big brain: you cheated not only the game, but yourself

galaxy brain: by focusing on the external signifiers of achievement and not on the intrinsic enjoyment of the challenge, you've not only shown that you didn't understand the lesson yourself, but also weren't even brave enough to act on your misunderstanding

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s funny because the achievements are there to show off to your friends, but the kind of person who would cheat for an Iron Man achievement probably doesn’t have any friends.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think some people just like boxes being checked. I would never, ever look at a friend's achievements or want them to look at mine lol

I think I edited my cheevos in Ori when the "beat the game on one life mode" achievement turned out to be bugged. I still feel gross about them but, also gently caress the devs for never fixing it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Returnal is my GOTY, but it released in a bugged condition that meant, along other things, certain collectibles wouldn’t pop if you were wearing a pre-order bonus costume. I lost two achievements to that before they patched it out, so my solution was just to delete my save and replay the entire game over again to get those achievements.

It’s an incredibly fun and exciting game to play, and I’m glad I have a very dumb reason to play it again.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Martman posted:

I think some people just like boxes being checked. I would never, ever look at a friend's achievements or want them to look at mine lol

I'm gonna make a to-do list with stuff like Slay the Nemean Lion, Capture Cerberus, Clean the Augean stables, etc. And then I'll check them all off because I could probably do it if i wanted to but i'm busy rn

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean, Hercules cheated at all of those, you'd be in good company

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean, Hercules cheated at all of those, you'd be in good company

He only cheated at 2, and they even made him do an extra 2 for cheating at this ones

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Take it from Hercules... Cheat at a couple achievements, next thing you know you're murdering your own family.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

some of y'all are trying to simultaneously act like you don't care about other people's achievements and you only get achievements for your own satisfaction and sense of achievement, but also getting mad at people cheating to get achievements and acting like that cheating cheapens your own achievements. it's very funny to me

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

giving yourself a prize for not doing anything doesn't cheapen anything. but it is funny and worthy of derision.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this discussion is unable to proceed until we determine who is mad and who is actually laughing

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

im actually mad. and not laughing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You don't have the option to cheat on a console. :colbert:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So many people cheating not only games, but themselves. :negative:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just use SAM, I have 100% every game I play.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I must not cheat.
Cheating is the joy-killer.
Cheating is the little death that only cheats myself.
I will face the cheats.
I will permit them to exist and pass over me.
And when they have gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see their path.
Where the cheats have gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cheating specifically to give yourself the award for doing the thing without doing the thing is some real low tier gaming imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You're all cheaters because none of you have beaten Hollow Knight the way it was meant to be played: with a DDR dance pad and a guitar hero controller

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Someone should set up a terrarium with light sensors set up to act as controllers and get some bugs to play Hollow Knight by wandering around.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
played this game way too much over the last week after getting it on sale

pantheon of the knight (and pure vessel) was easier than sage (and zote

very good game 9 masks out of 9

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

played this game way too much over the last week after getting it on sale

pantheon of the knight (and pure vessel) was easier than sage (and zote

very good game 9 masks out of 9

You're not done :mrgw:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

You're not done :mrgw:

oh I know still gotta do the big boy climb

and speedruns and steel soul

and road of rage

not gonna do the ascended/radiant bosses though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Radiant bosses are mostly not bad! They're a really good way to practice for the big show since if you can Radiant a boss then you should feel pretty confident about taking minimal damage from it during your ascension.

Plus, the final pantheon is all at Ascended difficulty anyway

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 6, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Plus, the final pantheon is all at Ascended difficulty anyway

well, minus the double damage. that's pretty important.

Mazerunner posted:

oh I know still gotta do the big boy climb

and speedruns and steel soul

and road of rage

not gonna do the ascended/radiant bosses though

i didn't try much for getting ascended or radiant on all the bosses, mostly just used them for practice on whatever was killing me. so i endorse this strat

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I found working through the Ascended/Radiant versions of each boss to be a much chiller challenge than expected, and it made the pantheons much less daunting.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

my biggest bottleneck in p5 was probably the zote -> markoth combo. i usually didn't come out of the zote fight with many resources and i just never figured out how to fight markoth in his upgraded arena without getting hit. it's a miracle i managed to live through that and then the last fight in the same run.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The easiest way to beat those bosses is to get a hack tool and turn on one hit KO for enemies or infinite HP.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

gently caress ascended xero

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bike tory posted:

The easiest way to beat those bosses is to get a hack tool and turn on one hit KO for enemies or infinite HP.

But why even bother at that point? It's completely optional content

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

QuarkJets posted:

But why even bother at that point? It's completely optional content

They are trolling b_d.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kind of funny that there's a bunch of the early bosses that I never really practiced against that are now giving me trouble- the super nail-io bros, xero and... 2x vengefly, but after that there's big chunk of smooth sailing

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They are trolling b_d.

its working im pissed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

b_d posted:

its working im pissed.
Just remember.... bapanada

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mazerunner posted:

Kind of funny that there's a bunch of the early bosses that I never really practiced against that are now giving me trouble- the super nail-io bros, xero and... 2x vengefly, but after that there's big chunk of smooth sailing

i'm convinced Brooding Mawlek is my bogey boss. i could probably get to youtuber-levels of good at the game and still suck at Brooding Mawlek

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
On my first playthrough I fought Nosk really late after I found basically all upgrades and killed it on my first attempt without even really trying.
On my second playthrough, Nosk was one of the first bosses I fought, and was the boss that killed me the most times by a significant margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I could reliably get to the Watcher Knights/Uumuu/Nosk/Nailsage/Hornet stretch of final pantheon but Uumuu and Nosk are real life drains and I'd have nothing left in the tank for the final two. But I swapped to a more defensive build and got past, so hopefully I remember to do that in the future.

Next roadblock I think is gonna be no-floor Markoth, gonna have to practice that, maybe GPZ also. Failed Champ is secretly a bench. NKG is gonna depend if I get into the groove. PV is a toss-up, I can do it but not necessarily reliably. And then at least I'll have unlocked the final boss to practice on.