Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Halloween plus: three year old was very into trivia about her triceratops costume, especially it's horns and boney frill.

Halloween minus: three year old using said horns and frill when she gleefully ran up and head-butted a girl in a T-Rex costume.

Look that’s called applied learning what more do you want?

We had about half the trick or treaters we did in 2019 but I also encouraged kids to take extra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
The hardest part of being a parent in those situations is maintaining the slightly-concerned-and-somewhat-apologetic face when you just want to yell "GENETICALLY SUPERIOR!" at the other kid's parents.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I took my 4 year old around the neighborhood while my mom stayed with my two year old at home. (wife was working). Most people had candy out on tables outside and a few were passing out beer to the parents which was nice. All my two year old wanted to do was throw candy in kids bags and she kept saying "more people coming?". My oldest had a fantastic time running from table to table and she kept talking about how she has to share with her sister which was completely unprompted but made me feel good. Overall a good night.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my youngest is four and he doesn't really give a poo poo about Halloween or participating in literally any group activity. he just likes to sit alone and look at a book or play cars. he's pretty chill.

his older brother flips out about Halloween and talks about it for weeks on end. last night he went out trick or treating with his cousin and I stayed behind with his bro.

when they got back my wife told me that at every house he visited, my son would clarify that there were no peanuts in the candy he was being given because his little brother has an allergy and he can't bring peanuts into his house.

like just typing it up makes me teary. he's such a considerate little dude.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Someone has Garfield cartoons playing on a projector and I nearly had to drag my kids away.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

PerniciousKnid posted:

Someone has Garfield cartoons playing on a projector and I nearly had to drag my kids away.

my kid watched some recent Garfield movie twice in a row, it was garbage

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
just fuckin go to sleeeeeeep

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

just fuckin go to sleeeeeeep
lol the worst feeling
i recall when our older one was in day care, and they would take like 2 hour naps from 1-3pm
at bedtime they wouldn't fall asleep until drat near 10pm, it was hell

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

baby born, sleeps in crib, whatever
becomes toddler, sleeps with me and spouse in our bed, whatever
okay you're loving 4 now, go sleep in your new fancy bed please

the bed we bought because your baby sibling will be joining you in your bedroom eventually
doesn't happen until they're 5
so now baby sibling is a toddler, but still sleeping with me and spouse in our bed
okay toddler, please, time to go sleep in your bed with your sibling
and what, what the gently caress, you actually want to!?

last night both my kids slept in their bedroom, in their beds, it was amazing

annnnnnnd tonight, lmao
toddler currently in my bed, the motherfucker

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my kid (2) was put down at 7:30, still awake at 1am so was brought into our bed where he kicked and jabbed me for an hour until I gave up and went to go sleep somewhere else, at which point he rolled into my spot and immediately fell asleep :argh:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

my dude knows what he wants and isn’t taking no, respect

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My kid's gained a fondness of climbing up onto his changing table and falling asleep. He then tosses, wakes up, and gets mad because he can't climb down. If it's nap time and light out, he'll sometimes climb over to his dresser and knock everything onto the floor before getting mad he's stuck.

Earlier in the thread I may have mentioned he climbed up on his changing table, fell off, and bit a hole clean through his lip.

When does the 'big boy bed -> time to explore!' phase go away?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid never slept through the night his first year of life, always would wake up at least once... really until after he was fully weaned off breast milk. a whole year of night feeding! but now he is a champion, takes a two hour nap from 12 to 2, falls asleep immediately when we put him down at 7, and then wakes up at or sometimes even after 7 am.

we do want to have another kid but the prospect of another year of sleepless nights... lol

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The lab just called and said our one year old has anemia and I'm freaking out

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Greg Legg posted:

I obviously don't know the specifics, but my kids did too and it was just some iron supplementation and that was it. the blood draws for the tests were by far the most traumatic part

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

my kid half the time had to be woken up to feed at night when he was an infant and the other half was mostly just him saying "hey!" and then going right back to sleep after

he insisted on sleeping in our bed for a very long time though, and was difficult to put down, until we figured out that the dog does a better job of getting him to sleep than we do. now it's easy and we outsource a lot of childcare to the family dog actually

anyway we're due for another early next year so if there is balance in the universe I expect it'll be brutal

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My kid............................sleeps through the night :twisted:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

I obviously don't know the specifics, but my kids did too and it was just some iron supplementation and that was it. the blood draws for the tests were by far the most traumatic part

Thank you man. I asked around and this seems to be the most common reason. He goes back to the doctor on Friday and they will check him out and let us know. Unfortunately it probably means another blood draw. Thank you for sharing!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

Replace their toys with iron pipes. Exposed threads are encouraged as the large surface area will lead to greater iron leaching.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I remember always looking at iron content in foods for my kid when buying because we were moving to the lead poisoning state(Michigan) and iron helps fight lead absorption. hope your kid just needs a little more iron.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

anemia isn't uncommon in kids that age, especially kids who are breastfeeding because breast milk doesn't have much iron in it

cook steak for dinner and let your kid teethe on a piece or something

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there is at least one dropper supplement for iron you can add to a bottle or just give them straight from the dropper.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

U-DO Burger posted:

Who needs teething toys when you have steak?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Does anyone have recommendations for learning tablet games for preschoolers?

The only real winner I've found so far is Teach Your Monster to Read but we're still a far cry from the Young Ladies Illustrated Primer I demand.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

just giving my kid the bone from my steak dinner and letting him gnaw on it in a corner somewhere while I go to work on a bottle of honey wine

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

just giving my kid the bone from my steak dinner and letting him gnaw on it in a corner somewhere while I go to work on a bottle of honey wine

It's called enrichment time, and a good way for them to occupy themselves in their window crate

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo 6 months to 2 years is the perfect timeframe to expose your kid to a wide variety of unique flavors, gently caress rice cereal. my 9-year-old is picky as hell today, but at 1 year old she was happily cramming bowls of pickeled ginger down her throat.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's called enrichment time, and a good way for them to occupy themselves in their window crate

look if you can think of an easier way to give babies vitamin d during quarantine id like to hear it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for learning tablet games for preschoolers?

The only real winner I've found so far is Teach Your Monster to Read but we're still a far cry from the Young Ladies Illustrated Primer I demand.

Kahn academy kids probably fits

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

seconding Kahn Academy Kids, it's great for preschooler age

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

anemia isn't uncommon in kids that age, especially kids who are breastfeeding because breast milk doesn't have much iron in it

Good advice. Thank you! He had some meat today. He likes chewing on the drum stick chicken bone. I may have panicked but my wife is unconcerned as usual. The doctor is running tests because he was born early and is still really small.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I was anemic on and off through childhood/adolescence and I still grew up to be a 6'+ beefy boy, don't stress it too much and make sure they get more iron. :)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tzen posted:

seconding Kahn Academy Kids, it's great for preschooler age

This is the only one I've tried, seems good. My 3yo got frustrated he couldn't operate the tablet with his whole palm and gave up, maybe I'll try again in a few months.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I was anemic on and off through childhood/adolescence and I still grew up to be a 6'+ beefy boy, don't stress it too much and make sure they get more iron. :)

Thank you brother. Working on the iron situation today (gradually because he's picky). Thank you everyone!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

We have been giving our kid iron baby cereal that has been fortified with iron, I think the serving size is like 80% recommended daily value. It's not all that filling or calorie intensive so I also add a bunch of peanut butter to it, which my kid goes apeshit for.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_KSLK2XwxY

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
just add this to your spice rack, bing bong

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
:sigh: My kindergartner is definitely the weird kid who can't take her mask off to eat at school. I feel bad for her. Stupid kids/adults.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
todays the day when my son gets his covid vaccine

6 PM is titter time buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like how the toys I actually spend time researching for my children usually end up not working out but they'll play with some dumb piece of poo poo plastic ball they got at the state fair four years ago forever and ever.