Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cartoon Man posted:

I wish it shot out faster and longer. Anybody modded that?

I heard that if you add some zinc to your diet, that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Alctel posted:

Now I'm feeling bad that I used the grappling arm for 30 seconds, decided it was poo poo and never touched it again

I did the same, but didn't feel bad. It has essentially zero range. I don't understand how people say it helps mobility.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Momentum! You get some pretty good horizontal speed just grappling to the ground ahead of you and letting go halfway. Just flinging myself across the ocean

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
It'd be interesting to see where the Subnautica formula could be taken.

MMO: can't really do story-type discovery or too-shared instances - the sense of isolation wouldn't really work with a queue at the nearest lithium vein.
FPS: No, Robin, you are the Leviathans. Deathloop-style PvP where you're an Architect taking over random sealife to break bases, steal resources and harass an explorer? Removing the power cell from their sub and swimming away as they make a mad dash for the surface - into your gas mines.

Multiplayer Subnautica would be interesting, especially if they limited or messed with in-game communication. Like, you'd have to find each other manually (spawn points randomised) and build comm stations to get anything other than static from each other. Maybe a co-op element where each of you has different strengths (one can build more complex stuff, one does better biology?).

e: competitive "get me off this planet" - you both race to discover and build a spaceship but there's only enough parts to build one single-seater.

e e: Welcome, Employee. As part of the Occupational Development and Yearly Scientific Specialization Experience Initiative, you have been selected as one of the five (5) best and brightest. Your mission is to establish an Alterra Base of Operations on the Planet you have been assigned to, categorize any useful local phenomena or fauna, and field-test exciting new Alterra technologies. Alterra retains the right to monitor, broadcast, redact, and alter any and all performance data.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 1, 2021

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I did the same, but didn't feel bad. It has essentially zero range. I don't understand how people say it helps mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Lunar Suite posted:

It'd be interesting to see where the Subnautica formula could be taken.

MMO: can't really do story-type discovery or too-shared instances - the sense of isolation wouldn't really work with a queue at the nearest lithium vein.
FPS: No, Robin, you are the Leviathans. Deathloop-style PvP where you're an Architect taking over random sealife to break bases, steal resources and harass an explorer? Removing the power cell from their sub and swimming away as they make a mad dash for the surface - into your gas mines.

Multiplayer Subnautica would be interesting, especially if they limited or messed with in-game communication. Like, you'd have to find each other manually (spawn points randomised) and build comm stations to get anything other than static from each other. Maybe a co-op element where each of you has different strengths (one can build more complex stuff, one does better biology?).

e: competitive "get me off this planet" - you both race to discover and build a spaceship but there's only enough parts to build one single-seater.

Subnautica meets Animal crossing. Base building and exploration. Race to get off the planet??? I never wanted to leave.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’d recommend a Subnautica MMO but creating a game engine that could handle that and all the base building, construction, and vehicles would be way too hard to do without it crashing the whole time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Oasx posted:

Two grappling arms is the way to go for the true spider-man experience.

Fuckkkk just blew my mind

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Especially in the original, a grappling arm is basically a requirement to get unstuck in certain areas where you get stuck in the floor all the time.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

uXs posted:

Especially in the original, a grappling arm is basically a requirement to get unstuck in certain areas where you get stuck in the floor all the time.

In the Precursor Gun Base in particular it's important to have that or the repulsion cannon in case you step on a glue tile while PRAWNing around.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I remember having to save, quit and re-enter game in every time I got stuck

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You can also leave the prawn and run 60 meters away and it gets unstuck.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I broke down and bought Below Zero. Man, I’m so addicted to this game.

Where should I put my first base? I’m thinking near the lily pads… but copper might be hard to find there?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

minya posted:

I broke down and bought Below Zero. Man, I’m so addicted to this game.

Where should I put my first base? I’m thinking near the lily pads… but copper might be hard to find there?

Somewhere central for a working base. Anywhere around the middle island works, though next to a thermal vent or three will give you free power. The purple vent area is the easiest way to go for that. When 'beating' the game I never built more than a couple multipurpose rooms and a moon pool near my life pod except for as a roleplay thing, though, so don't think it's a requirement.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love the QOL of Below Zero but now.... I'm starting to be like "I have never built a second base and I'm about to finish this game?"

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Only cowards tell you to build a centralized base.

Build bases wherever seems cool. Build them big and neat-o. Build as many as you feel like building.

Because there's no place like home, and there's no capitalism getting in the way of building more than one, at least not on this planet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Only cowards tell you to build a centralized base.

Build bases wherever seems cool. Build them big and neat-o. Build as many as you feel like building.

Because there's no place like home, and there's no capitalism getting in the way of building more than one, at least not on this planet.

I mostly lived in my Cyclops, and had a dedicated locker onboard that only contained a Mobile Vehicle Base and all the parts for a new Cyclops. I feared nothing, especially once I stuck the thermal reactor module in it to charge itself.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I built my base in the twisty bridges because I thought it would make for a great view, I didn't consider how hard it would be to fit any buildings in there.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Oasx posted:

I built my base in the twisty bridges because I thought it would make for a great view, I didn't consider how hard it would be to fit any buildings in there.

This is definitely the pro move, I took awhile to truck around and found an outcropping with a decent amount of space around it, and built such that my prawn is easy to drop onto it from its moon pool, and the trailer assembly for the truck fits where I can back right up into it, sliding in right above four grow beds which are for short plants.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish there was a docking station for the Cyclops. Something that allowed you to get into it directly from your base.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wish there was a docking station for the Cyclops. Something that allowed you to get into it directly from your base.

Pretty sure there’s a mod that does that but it’s just a tube that connects. A giant rear end moon pool where you could park it would’ve owned though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Agreed, it's just a needless step of cycling power cells while the Cyclops is just sitting by your base(s). Also I feel the Cyclops really needed like a dorsal mount for the Seamoth. Its usefulness just disappears once you have the Cyclops and a Prawnsuit, as its only real use-case is for quick jaunts in small places the Cyclops can't get to and you may as well just go for a walk in the Prawn Suit with a grapple.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
First time I went to build a Large room I was like wow they ain't kidding!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed, it's just a needless step of cycling power cells while the Cyclops is just sitting by your base(s). Also I feel the Cyclops really needed like a dorsal mount for the Seamoth. Its usefulness just disappears once you have the Cyclops and a Prawnsuit, as its only real use-case is for quick jaunts in small places the Cyclops can't get to and you may as well just go for a walk in the Prawn Suit with a grapple.

There’s probably (barely) enough space for both the Seamoth and Prawn in the docking bay. Even just extending the Seamoth’s auto-defense to the Cyclops when it’s docked would’ve created an incentive to keep the Seamoth around.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The seamoth used to be able to go deeper in EA, but I guess people were using it instead of the prawn and/or they wanted to add "progression" in the vehicles as you went deeper.

Perimeter defense system also used to be stronger and spammable to the point that leviathans weren't a threat at all.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
They should make the sea moth be able to go deeper, and allow the prawn to dock with it. That way there would be no need for the cyclops.
What I’m saying is that they should bring the sea truck to the original game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The sea truck goes into the first game FAR better than the Cyclops would fit in BZ ( :dadjoke: )

I’d love to have one down in the lost river, or deeper. I think it’d be fun taking the little guy for a spin with the sea dragon leviathan angrily throwing fireballs at it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah that Cyclops ain’t fitting into any caves in BZ. But it’d be fun to try and see where you could cram it in!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i really liked being able to build my own crap into the cyclops though, plus that incredible ai voice.....

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah y'all getting this rear end backwards and what is cool and good would be to have larger areas that the cyclops can cruise on through and sure dock a sea moth why not. The sea truck kinda sucks.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
On the flip side, not being dependent on a vehicle to go further than 20 meters into a cave is a refreshing change.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah the answer is "subnautica 2, with both a dorsal seamoth bay on the Cyclops and the sea truck. Take away the cargo compartments for the moth, or allow it to only equip one, and add some scouting poo poo to it. A better version of the SeaGlide's terrain sonar, kinds of torpedoes which are interesting or cool or worth building ever, an auto-mapping module? something which creates, like, a 30-second version of the gravity trap, so you can stick 2-3 of them to cave ceilings and swim out to gather all the poo poo up

Also the map is a 20-30% greater 2d cross-section, and 50% deeper as well.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd like it if there was no bottom either. Just have the last layer have holes into the abyssal core of the planet, and if you go too far one into the deep a huge rear end gargantuan swallows you whole.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've been playing an Ocean based modpack in Minecraft called OceanBlock.
And what would an ocean world be without a...

e: drat, it even has the same exact feel when you hop out of the surface for a few seconds when going top speed.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 3, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oasx posted:

They should make the sea moth be able to go deeper, and allow the prawn to dock with it. That way there would be no need for the cyclops.
What I’m saying is that they should bring the sea truck to the original game.

The Sea Truck was an obvious attempt at fixing the Seamoth getting shut out past owning a Cyclops (And it's not bad by its own merits), but the problem with the Modules is the Cyclops does everything they do much better, more flexibly, and in a more stylish vehicle that was declared in-lore as "The best submarine in the galaxy". All I see in the Sea Truck is wishing I had the Cyclops available instead. The Prawn Suit hanging off the back means you've gotta leave your sub to get at it waaay at the back of your Truck, making it both less convenient and secure. And it HAS to go at the back, so if you want to change anything afterwards you now can't just add it on to the line, you have to shuffle Modules about.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Sea Truck was an obvious attempt at fixing the Seamoth getting shut out past owning a Cyclops (And it's not bad by its own merits), but the problem with the Modules is the Cyclops does everything they do much better, more flexibly, and in a more stylish vehicle that was declared in-lore as "The best submarine in the galaxy". All I see in the Sea Truck is wishing I had the Cyclops available instead. The Prawn Suit hanging off the back means you've gotta leave your sub to get at it waaay at the back of your Truck, making it both less convenient and secure. And it HAS to go at the back, so if you want to change anything afterwards you now can't just add it on to the line, you have to shuffle Modules about.
Didn't they also awkwardly cause the Prawn to block the rear view camera, and then they cut the rear camera entirely spinning it as a performance fix?

The Seatruck tries, but it really does feel plagued with :effort: even at it's best and most enjoyable moments. Even if the Cyclops never existed to compare it's current function.

Fake Edit: Oh man, I forgot the Seatruck was also going to have on board planters and thermal recharge like the Cyclops before those ended up in the cut content bin next to the camera.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 3, 2021

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Section Z posted:

Didn't they also awkwardly cause the Prawn to block the rear view camera, and then they cut the rear camera entirely spinning it as a performance fix?

The Seatruck tries, but it really does feel plagued with :effort: even at it's best and most enjoyable moments. Even if the Cyclops never existed to compare it's current function.

Fake Edit: Oh man, I forgot the Seatruck was also going to have on board planters and thermal recharge like the Cyclops before those ended up in the cut content bin next to the camera.

Nah, the reverse camera was always bugged whether you had the Prawn module or not. IIRC I could see basically to infinity through it at times.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

OgNar posted:

e: drat, it even has the same exact feel when you hop out of the surface for a few seconds when going top speed.

You mean the feeling of running yourself over? There's a loud amusing BONK as you lose 80% of your health. Incidentally, you were trying to conquer your fear of reaper leviathan, so there's one now.
Oops. He instakills you. You ran yourself over and served yourself as roadkill.
SEAMOTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunar Suite posted:

You mean the feeling of running yourself over? There's a loud amusing BONK as you lose 80% of your health. Incidentally, you were trying to conquer your fear of reaper leviathan, so there's one now.
Oops. He instakills you. You ran yourself over and served yourself as roadkill.
SEAMOTH.

I have killed myself at least twice running myself over with the Seamoth while exiting it :cripes:.