Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

isn't there a line of thought that indigenous population collapse in the 1500s was due to european diseases running ahead of the colonists themselves?

like by the time europeans actually made face-to-face contact in most of the continent, the local population was already reduced by 30%-90% from it's true pre- contact size

What folks have said already is correct, diseases absolutely outran actual colonial exploration and were definitely responsible for the relative ease with which European colonists were able to eventually to conquer what is now the United States.

That said, by the time the Spanish landed in present-day Florida and moved up the coast, the Mississippian culture had been in a stark decline for more than a century. Individual groups still maintained the culture when contacted by Europeans but the extent to which they were part of a larger community and could call on help from said community to fight the Europeans was significantly reduced even before the Europeans introduced all manner of diseases.

It was a one-two punch and the reasons for that initial decline are still hotly debated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Azathoth posted:

one of the more interesting historical what ifs is what would the US look like if Europeans hadn't arrived in the aftermath of the collapse of the Mississippian culture and instead found a flourishing empire in central North America

probably the same poo poo that happened in mesomaerica

i guess the big changes would be that native american culture is integrated into us culture instead of just being utterly destroyed

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

babypolis posted:

i guess the big changes would be that native american culture is integrated into us culture instead of just being utterly destroyed

tbf this is happening, just slowly because the cultures have to survive and rebuild before they can be particularly assertive. Like, Avatar wouldn't happen and we wouldn't be so aware of its flaws if people didn't see value in the idea of mutual cultural influence, we just have trouble looking past our own dumb ideas and cliches.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

isn't there a line of thought that indigenous population collapse in the 1500s was due to european diseases running ahead of the colonists themselves?

like by the time europeans actually made face-to-face contact in most of the continent, the local population was already reduced by 30%-90% from it's true pre- contact size

Clearing the plains is the book you want if you want to go in depth into that. Also a good book in general.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IIRC there was a population collapse in the 1300s in the southwest so something must have happened to make them abandon a bunch of the bigger canyon dwellings.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Hodgepodge posted:

thread favorite Debt: the First 5000 years has you covered:

https://libcom.org/files/__Debt__The_First_5_000_Years.pdf

Just wanna say this is a hella good read, thanks thread

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Just wanna say this is a hella good read, thanks thread

I think I learned about it from this thread as well, so just passing on one of the best books I've read on related subjects (including grad level stuff).

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/DorsaAmir/status/1454822232463593472

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

they make replicas of those for tourists one of the better korea souvenirs in my opinion

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
can confirm. have not played it though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have a dreidel from Mexico with a similar drinking game

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/heaberald/status/1455376032735838215?s=21

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
on the subject of medieval east asian drinking, I just rear essays in idleness again and this is one of my favourite passages

Kenkō posted:

There are many incomprehensible things in this world.

I cannot understand why people will seize any occasion to immediately bring out the sake, delighting in forcing someone else to drink. The other will frown and grimace in painful protest, attempt to throw it away when no one's looking or do his best to escape, but this man will seize him, pin him down and make him swallow cup after cup. A genteel man will quickly be transformed into a madman and start acting the fool; a vigorous, healthy fellow will before your eyes become shockingly afflicted and fall senseless to the floor. What a thing to do, on a day of celebration!

Right into the next day his head hurts, he can't eat, and he lies there groaning with all memory of the previous day gone as of it were a former life. He neglects essential duties both public and private, with disastrous effects. It is both boorish and cruel to subject someone to this sort of misery.

Surely a man who has had this bitter experience will be filled with regret and loathing. Anyone from a distant land that lacked this custom would be amazed and appalled to hear of its existence in another country.

It is depressing enough just to witness this happening to another. A man who had always seemed thoughtful and refined will burst into mindless laughter, prattle on and on, his lacquered cap askew, the ties of his robes loosened and the skirts hauled up above his shins and generally behave so obliviously that he seems a changed man.

A woman will blatantly push her hair up away from her face, throw back her head quite shamelessly, and then seize the hand of the person with the sake, while the more uncouth might grab one of the snacks and hold it to someone else's mouth or eat it herself — a quite disgraceful sight.

People bellow at the top of their lungs, everyone sings and prances about, and an old monk is called in, who proceeds to bare his filthy black shoulder and writhe about so that you can hardly stand to watch, and you loathe just as much the others who sit there enjoying the spectacle.

Some will make you cringe by the way they sing their own praises, others will cry into their drink, while the lower orders abuse each other and get into quite shocking and appalling fights.

Finally, after all manner of disgraceful and pitiful behaviour, the drunkard will seize things without permission, then end up hurting himself by rolling off the veranda or tumbling from his horse or carriage.

If he's of a class that goes on foot he'll stagger away down the high road, doing unspeakable things against people's walls or gates as he goes. It is quite disgusting to see the old monk in his black robe stumbling off, steadying himself with his hand on the shoulder of the lad beside him and rambling on incomprehensibly.

If drinking like this profited us in this world or the next, what could one say? But in this world it leads to all manner of error, and causes both illness and loss of wealth. Wine has been called 'the greatest of medicines', but in fact all sickness springs from it.

It is claimed that you forget your sorrows in drink, but from what I can see, men in their cups will in fact weep to recall their past unhappiness.

As for the next world — having lost the wisdom you were born with, reduced all your good karma to ashes, built up a store of wickedness and broken all the Buddhist precepts, you are destined for hell.

Remember, the Buddha teaches that those who lift the wine glass either to their own lips or to others' will spend five hundred lifetimes without hands.

Yet, loathsome though one finds it, there are situations when a cup of sake is hard to resist. On a moonlit night, a snowy morning, or beneath the flowering cherry trees, it increases all pleasures of the moment to bring out the sake cups and settle down to talk serenely together over a drink.

It is also great comfort to have a drink together if an unexpected friend calls round when time is hanging heavy on your hands. And it is quite wonderful when sake and snacks are elegantly served from behind her curtains by some remote and exalted lady.

It is also quite delightful to sit across from a close friend in some cosy little nook in winter, roasting food over the coals and drinking lots of sake together.

And delightful too on a journey to sit about on the grass together in some wayside hut or out in the wild, drinking and lamenting the lack of a suitable snack.

And it's a fine thing when some who really hates having sake pressed on them is forced to have just a little.

You are thrilled when some grand person singles you out and offers to refill your cup, urging, 'Do have more. You've barely drunk.'

And it is also very pleasing when someone you would like to get to know better is a drinker and becomes very pally with you in his cups.

All things considered, a drunkard is so entertaining he can be forgiven his sins. Think of the charming scene when a master throws open the door on his servant, who is sound asleep next morning after an exhausting night on the drink. The poor befuddled fellow rushes off, rubbing his bleary eyed, topknot exposed on his hatless head, only half dressed and clutching the rest of his trailing clothes, how hairy shins sticking out below his lifted skirts as he scampers into the distance — a typical drunk.
I think the guy probably had a hangover when he was writing it, with the way he talks about how awful and stupid drinking is in the first half and then remembers that he actually really likes it in the second

one interesting thing is the "500 lifetimes without hands" which sounds like it's really bad but buddhism has an obsession with impossibly long lengths of time, and when you're talking about a conception of the afterlife which potentially encompasses things like

quote:

Sañjīva (等活), the "reviving" Naraka, has ground made of hot iron heated by an immense fire. Beings in this Naraka appear fully grown, already in a state of fear and misery. As soon as the being begins to fear being harmed by others, their fellows appear and attack each other with iron claws and hell guards appear and attack the being with fiery weapons. As soon as the being experiences an unconsciousness like death, they are suddenly restored to full health and the attacks begin again. Other tortures experienced in this Naraka include: having molten metal dropped upon them, being sliced into pieces, and suffering from the heat of the iron ground. Life in this Naraka is 1.62×1012 years long. It is said to be 1,000 yojanas beneath Jambudvīpa and 10,000 yojanas in each direction (a yojana being 7 miles, or 11 kilometres).

Kālasūtra (黒縄), the "black thread" Naraka, includes the torments of Sañjīva. In addition, black lines are drawn upon the body, which hell guards use as guides to cut the beings with fiery saws and sharp axes. Life in this Naraka is 1.296×1013 years long.

Saṃghāta (衆合), the "crushing" Naraka, is surrounded by huge masses of rock that smash together and crush the beings to a bloody jelly. When the rocks move apart again, life is restored to the being and the process starts again. Life in this Naraka is 1.0368×1014 years long.
then suddenly tens of thousands of years without hands seems pretty trivial

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I went away with some friends over the weekend I haven't seen in ages because of The Event and it was basically two days of solid drinking and I still feel like poo poo and probably will do for another couple of days and that's basically been exactly my thought process

'It was wonderful and at one point I literally said "this is heaven, why can't life always be like this" but I'm never going to do it again but man I can't wait to do it again but I never feel as physically and emotionally and mentally wretched as I do after a bunch of drinking but it's worth it but it's not worth it and I never want to do it again, when are we doing it again? Great I can't wait'

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah, I love it because it's so relatable not just in the overall sentiment but specifics like chatting a bunch of incomprehensible poo poo, falling off/out of things, or staggering home bursting for a piss and going somewhere you probably shouldn't because its the hour of the ox and there's no one around

it's one of the reasons I love old books like this, you get stuff which is so utterly recognisable sandwiched between talking about what people say is the correct way to tie up a scroll or whatever

or as the guy himself says

quote:

It is a most wonderful comfort to sit alone beneath a lamp, book spread before you, and commune with someone from the past whom you have never met.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

XMNN posted:

or as the guy himself says

quote:

It is a most wonderful comfort to sit alone beneath a lamp, book spread before you, and commune with someone from the past whom you have never met.

sounds like this dipshit has an unhealthy parasocial relationship with books

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

XMNN posted:

then suddenly tens of thousands of years without hands seems pretty trivial

Ngl 500 years as a snake seems like a sweet deal.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Kenkō posted:

In conclusion, getting blasted off sake is a land of contrasts.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

I think I learned about it from this thread as well, so just passing on one of the best books I've read on related subjects (including grad level stuff).

rip david graeber

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Obviously USB ports aren't round but those breasts are clear evidence of anti-gravity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

can your wax tablet run crysis?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

can your wax tablet run crysis?

yeah

crysis of the third century heyoooo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dang good one

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

that debt book seems pretty good, anyone got any other good history deep dive books?

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Grevling posted:

The book is a collaboration with the archeologist David Wengrow, here's a talk they did together. I think it relates to the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvUzdJSK4x8&t=3075s

towards the end of this talk they mention "Before Philosophy" by Henri Frankfort and others, about how modern intellectual people explain the universe as a static object separate from themselves, an "it," but in older times natural phenomena were experienced emotionally in a reciprocal relationship as "thou." i just got a copy the other day but so far it is very interesting.

also recommend "The Edge of Memory: Ancient Stories, Oral Tradition and the Post-Glacial World" by Patrick Nunn about how myths are used to remember geologic events from before writing was invented, got me interested in aboriginal australian stories that are really cool. He has a new one that's more about sea level rise but i haven't read it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWyydVH2pSA&t=757s

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
https://twitter.com/xujnx/status/1456489341618999320

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
hey any book recommendations on stone age technologies?

looking online the one that comes up the most is Primitive Technology by John Plant (the youtube guy), which looks like more of a how-to guide. might still be fun but I was hoping for something a bit more historical

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This looks like ancient version of the tortures from the show Silent Library.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

hey any book recommendations on stone age technologies?

looking online the one that comes up the most is Primitive Technology by John Plant (the youtube guy), which looks like more of a how-to guide. might still be fun but I was hoping for something a bit more historical

*Disclaimer: I'm a Prehistoric Archaeologist so i) probably more academic than you might want, ii) definitely out of date since it's been a while since I studied/worked on stone age stuff and iii)all my stone age books are in storage at my folks so you're stuck with my faulty memory...

For historical stone age technologies you'll want to look into anthropological studies of areas like Australia.
Stone age = level of technology not chronological period.
Archaeological studies of prehistoric stone age technologies are really going to depend on what you are interested in - which part of the stone age (Palaeolithic through Neolithic is all stone age and the Palaeolithic is longer than everything else put together by quite a long margin), particular regional traditions, specific tool types across cultures, experimental reconstruction, etc. etc. I'm not aware of any general Big Book of Technology of the whole stone age but if there is one it will either be huge or very broad brush.

Off the top of my head: this book Interpreting the Axe Trade is a very good one but is specifically about the production and trade of Neolithic polished stone axes in Britain which is probably more limited than you want.
Be worth looking at the publications here: http://www.lithics.org/ and checking out all the other sites in their links and then the links from those. They are UK based but international in scope (current Editor is in Texas). Hell, be worth contacting them and asking if they'd suggest a reading list if you know vaguely what you want. They will be happy to share their obsessions if you just ask nicely. Pretty sure they have a facebook group where a not pushy question will probably get you lots of good current recommendations.
In my experience contacting any decent archaeology department (unless they only do classical...) will get you a bunch of recommendations too, even if it's just the student reading lists.

All of this is stone tools since they're what we mostly find until the Neolithic but there will also be stuff about the little we have found in wood, basketry and so forth in the Pal to Mesolithic. Sorry not to be more useful.

E: This http://journals.ed.ac.uk/lithicstudies is worth checking out too. Its "a peer-reviewed open access journal which focuses on archaeological research into the manufacture and use of stone tools, as well as the origin and properties of the raw materials used in their production. The journal does not focus on any specific geographic region or time period."

E2: This Making Silent Stones Speak might be more like what you want? Will be necessarily out of date since it's over 20 years old but it covers a global look at stone, wood and bone tools. Been years since I read it so can't remember how dense it is.

EmptyVessel has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Nov 7, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Back in September Suplex Liberace asked both threads for book recommendations and there were, by my count, roughly just shy of 100 books suggested depending on how you want to count collections and what not. To prepare for gift giving season I took all the recs and cleaned up the data to be easy reference. And since y'all did the heavy lifting for me I figured I'd pay it back by sharing all the cleaned up data if you wanted to review it and pick anything up from it. All links go to the Google Book page with exception of Debt, which still references the PDF.

Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years by David Talbot
Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World by Mike Davis
War Plan Orange: The US Strategy to Defeat Japan, 1897-1945 by Edward Miller
The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon S. Wood
The Wehrmacht's Last Stand by Robert M. Citino
The Global Minotaur by Yanis Varoufakis
In The Shadows of the American Century by Alfred W. McCoy
Armageddon Averted: The Soviet Collapse, 1970-2000 by Stephen Kotkin
White Shoe: How a New Breed of Wall Street Lawyers Changed Big Business and the American Century by John Oller
The Eastern Front 1914-1917 by Norman Stone
German Social Democracy and the Rise of Nazism by Donna Harsch
Approaching Vietnam: From World War II through Dienbienphu by Lloyd C. Gardner
The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Antony Beevor
The Assassination of Julius Caesar: A People's History of Ancient Rome by Michael Parenti
Deng Xiaoping's Long War by Xiaoming Zhang
We are Cuba! How a Revolutionary People Have Survived in a Post-Soviet World by Helen Yaffe
Deng Xiaoping: A Revolutionary Life by Alexander V. Pantsov and Steven I. Levine
Blood Cries Afar: The Forgotten Invasion of England 1216 by Sean McGlynn
The Last Duel by Eric Jager
Greek Fire, Poison Arrows, and Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor
A most holy war: The Albigensien Crusade and the battle for Christendom by Mark Gregory Pegg
The Last Imaginary Place by Robert McGhee
The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans
The Third Reich in Power by Richard J. Evans
The Third Reich at War by Richard J. Evans
The Emperor by Ryszard Kapuscinski
A Bright Shining Lie by Neil Sheehan
The Best And The Brightest by David Halberstam
1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed by Eric H. Cline
...and Forgive Them Their Debts by Michael Hudson
Life and Society in the Hittite World by Trevor Bryce
Soldiers and Ghosts by J. E. Lendon
Dancing in the Glory of Monsters by Jason Stearns
Debt: The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber
Napoleon: A Political Life by Steven Englund
The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire by John Newsinge
The Wretched Of The Earth by Frantz Fanon
Killing for Coal by Thomas G. Andrews
A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear by Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling
A Nation Under Our Feet by Steven Hahn
The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time by John Kelly
killing hope by William Blum
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson
Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus by Rick Perlstein
Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America by Rick Perlstein
The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan by Rick Perlstein
Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America by David Hackett Fischer
The Making of the English Working Class by E. P. Thompson
Suburban Warriors: The Origins of the New American Right by Lisa McGirr
Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877 by Eric Foner
The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism by Edward E. Baptist
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Roméo Dallaire
The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy by J. Adam Tooze
Crimea by Orlando Figes
A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution, 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes
Stayin' Alive: The 1970s and the Last Days of the Working Class by Jefferson Cowie
U.S. Capitalist Development Since 1776: Of, By, and for which People? by Douglas Fitzgerald Dowd
The Korean War by Max Hastings
1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann
Mohawk Saint: Catherine Tekakwitha and the Jesuits by Allan Greer
The Great Leveler: Violence and the History of Inequality from the Stone Age to the Twenty-First Century by Walter Scheidel
American Slavery, American Freedom by Edmund Morgan
The Age of Napoleon: A History of European Civilization from 1789 to 1815 by Will and Ariel Durant
Age Of Empire: 1875-1914 by Eric Hobsbawm
Age of Revolution, 1789-1848 by Eric Hobsbawm
The age of capital, 1848-1875 by Eric Hobsbawm
Huey Long by T Harry Williams
Ten Days that Shook the World by John Reed
The Paris Commune of 1871 by Frank Jellinek
Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson
Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety by Eric Schlosser
The Jakarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade and the Mass Murder Program That Shaped Our World by Vincent Bevins
Russia in Revolution: An Empire in Crisis, 1890 to 1928 by S. A. Smith
The Baron’s Cloak: A History of the Russian Empire in War and Revolution by Willard Sunderland
Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy by Douglas Smith
The Cold War: A World History by Odd Arne Westad
The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times by Odd Arne Westad
Segregation: A Global History of Divided Cities by Carl Nightingale
King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild
Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan B. Parshall, Anthony P. Tully
Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America by Daniel K. Richter
Clearing the Plains: Disease, Politics of Starvation, and the Loss of Indigenous Life by James Daschuk
Ramp Hollow: The Ordeal of Appalachia by Steven Stoll
Hammer and Hoe: Alabama Communists During the Great Depression by Robin D. G. Kelley
Montaillou: Cathars and Catholics in a French Village, 1294-1324 by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie
Food: A Culinary History from Antiquity to the Present by Albert Sonnenfeld, Jean-Louis Flandrin, Massimo Montanari
Words on Fire: The Unfinished Story of Yiddish by Dovid Katz
Co. Aytch: A Side Show of the Big Show by Samuel R. Watkins
Robert A. Caro's the Years of Lyndon Johnson Set by Robert Caro
Myth and Metropolis: Walter Benjamin and the City by Graeme Gilloch
The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future by Joseph Stiglitz
Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland by Christopher Browning

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

EmptyVessel posted:

For historical stone age technologies you'll want to look into anthropological studies of areas like Australia.

Thank you for the awesome post, I will definitely be checking out that journal you linked.

Your suggestion re Australia is a good one and I feel like a dumbass for not thinking of it. I live in Australia and already have my eye on a book about aboriginal plant use which come to think of it will probably include use of plants in toolmaking, fibrecraft etc.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

Thank you for the awesome post, I will definitely be checking out that journal you linked.

Your suggestion re Australia is a good one and I feel like a dumbass for not thinking of it. I live in Australia and already have my eye on a book about aboriginal plant use which come to think of it will probably include use of plants in toolmaking, fibrecraft etc.

Glad to help.
Yeah there should be plenty of good historical stuff you can find out about aboriginal technologies. Maybe even current? No idea how much the various mobs (my favourite anthropological group term ever) still preserve the old ways but some must, and they might even be willing to show a truly interested respectful observer how it's done.
Back in the day one of the problems with rolling out the telegraph system was the ceramic insulators kept getting knicked to make tools out of. :D

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I find neolithic city-states to be vastly more interesting than hunter-gatherers.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
They're both interesting?
How do you feel about the large number of neolithic cultures that didn't go all proto-urban?
Something that I was told when I first started studying prehistoric archaeology was, "there is always more, and it is always interesting". It's still true.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I'm intensely interested in hunter gatherer cities personally.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you'll have to find information on those yourself

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

what existed before we started settling down and organizing society is interesting enough but there's only so much information that can really be acquired about people that don't leave much in the archaeological record. the first cities are where it really starts to get interesting for me because we can actually get real insight into how they lived and what they were like

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Please create a pre-neolithic history splinter thread if you want to discuss it more.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

we could really do with an ancient history thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

i am debating creating a history thread thread where we go back through the old history threads and look at the posts and see if we can get any understanding of the history of the time from the different history that they were look at then