Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The N64 controller isn't nice. It's atrocious and the fact they went from the SNES gamepad to that thing will always be hilariously sad.

Just lol if you can’t get any fun out of the N64 controller, people acting like it’s unusable garbage will never not be funny to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Looking forward to the update

Apologies to everyone who is upset by this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish there were more games for the Nintendo Switch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Just lol if you can’t get any fun out of the N64 controller, people acting like it’s unusable garbage will never not be funny to me

its trash

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the nso n64 bindings for the normal controller are 1000x better than using a real n64 pad

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
After playing Yoshis story I decided to try Crafted World again and it’s better than I remember. I may beat these bonus levels after all

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

It’s weird seeing Stux being wrong about so many things lately, you hate to see it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

It’s weird seeing Stux being wrong about so many things lately, you hate to see it

just ran stux’s 29806 posts through a machine and the results are that every post has been wrong

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Same. My controller is on the way and I'll be ready to SHAKE SHAKE as soon as it arrives... a-and they put out Mischief Makers on the service.

Or I EMULATE IT

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
playing phantasy star 4, and the rewind feature makes the random encounter rate way more bearable. the manga style cutscenes own

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The N64 controller is very good for using its d-pad to play the best game on N64, which is Ogre Battle 64.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

the nso n64 bindings for the normal controller are 1000x better than using a real n64 pad

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lost your pacifier?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I fired up mario odyssey last night for the first time in probably 2 years, ran around in forest world for about 45 minutes and found 30 moons. Game is still pretty fun!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I fired up mario odyssey last night for the first time in probably 2 years, ran around in forest world for about 45 minutes and found 30 moons. Game is still pretty fun!

How does it play with an N64 controller?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The N64 controller works on non-N64 games, but only if you're a dickless failnerd.

I'll let you know about my experiences after I cut off my dick tonight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just saw a dread video showing you can chain the shinespark by just launching yourself into a run then immediately charging into a shinespark againand like what the gently caress is this bullshit the game never tells you it would make some of these puzzles so much easier!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just saw a dread video showing you can chain the shinespark by just launching yourself into a run then immediately charging into a shinespark againand like what the gently caress is this bullshit the game never tells you it would make some of these puzzles so much easier!

Super Metroid never explains the shine spark either, merely hint at it in the Attract Mode

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

CPColin posted:

The N64 controller is very good for using its d-pad to play the best game on N64, which is any AKI wrestling game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

Seymour Flux

:laugh:

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

it's baffling when people act like you need three hands to use it, even though it's a two-in-one style controller and you never need both the stick/Z and d-pad/L in the same game. At most, it'll be like Mario Kart 64 where you use the stick and Z, and L turns off the music or something, never a vital gameplay thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Red Minjo posted:

it's baffling when people act like you need three hands to use it, even though it's a two-in-one style controller and you never need both the stick/Z and d-pad/L in the same game. At most, it'll be like Mario Kart 64 where you use the stick and Z, and L turns off the music or something, never a vital gameplay thing.

on the other hand maybe they could have not designed it that way

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The controller is fine, people who are having issues with playing N64 games on the Switch, are likely experiencing issues due to the noticeable input lag than anything else.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

you didn’t know that? lol

Red Minjo posted:

the problem with the two-in-one concept is that it did not take very long for it to be made obsolete by the creation of a controller where you could use all of the buttons all of the time.
Also the asymmetrical grip needed for games that used the analog stick always felt weird and uncomfortable

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 2, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Red Minjo posted:

yes games on the console had to design aroudn the insane controller. why are you saying thaht like its a surprise lol

I said come in! posted:

The controller is fine, people who are having issues with playing N64 games on the Switch, are likely experiencing issues due to the noticeable input lag than anything else.

doesnt exist op. oot has a frame of delay which is only noticeable if youre a freak, everythingi else has none.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Red Minjo posted:

The only time I ever needed anything on that left side was in Castlevania Legacy of Darkness. You had to use L to make the starting character transform. It was semi-vital-ish. And I remember every time I'd just take my right hand and blindly slap at where I thought L was. I couldn't be bothered to look. That was in like, 5th grade. Now I'm an adult, and my monster hands could probably just move a finger out over the thing, and still use the thumb stick anyway. I'm very tall and good at games now. :smuggo:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I said come in! posted:

no its because they have nerdless faildicks

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1455624247548604418?t=l51fCyzhx4h7kxoKA8povQ&s=19

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh man, I can't believe this game is still getting updates and DLC. It released in 2014, but the devs have gone all in on making this their one and only thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A modernized N64 controller where you can prioritize the analog stick for 3D games and D-Pad for 2D games instead of having the primary control be one or the other (D-Pad for PS-style, Analog for Xbox-style) would be pretty slick, as much as most people would hate it.

Also pair it with HD rumble and you could have a pretty sweet sex toy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

oot has a frame of delay

incorrect

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Ooh man, I can't believe this game is still getting updates and DLC. It released in 2014, but the devs have gone all in on making this their one and only thing.

My only problem is that this had to come out a week before SMTV. When it rains it pours.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's pretty cool how Nintendo games are good and fun to play

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s lame actually, they should be more boring and lovely

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The N64 controller looks a little wonky but I don't feel the need to complain about the design twenty-something years later because nobody ever shoved one up my rear end in a drunken rage or whatever lovely thing happened to you people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mega64 posted:

A modernized N64 controller where you can prioritize the analog stick for 3D games and D-Pad for 2D games instead of having the primary control be one or the other (D-Pad for PS-style, Analog for Xbox-style) would be pretty slick, as much as most people would hate it.

Also pair it with HD rumble and you could have a pretty sweet sex toy.

dpad is an importnat part of 3d games for extra buttons so not really

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bleck posted:

because nobody ever shoved one up my rear end

you're missing out

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wasn't that a thread title for a while? Or maybe it was the homebrew thread?
It's still the title of the homebrew thread. The title of this thread changes so often I can't keep up.

Mister Facetious posted:

Super Metroid never explains the shine spark either, merely hint at it in the Attract Mode
There's also the ostrich thing that shows you how to do it in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Same. My controller is on the way and I'll be ready to SHAKE SHAKE as soon as it arrives... a-and they put out Mischief Makers on the service.

Or I EMULATE IT

mischief makers probably benefits from an n64 controller more than any other n64 game i can think of off the top of my head. trying to button mash with a stick is, not enjoyable lol

CPColin posted:

The N64 controller is very good for using its d-pad to play the best game on N64, which is Ogre Battle 64.

comrade

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i think you're supposed to experiment and discover new facets of your abilities on your own, with a bit of help from the level design