Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
The main reason a company might provide iPhones is that someone who makes these kinds of decisions personally wants the company to give them an iPhone

unbutthurtable fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
considering decisions made by upper mgmt, our branch gets computers with like half as much ram, half as much disk space (which doesn't matter that much tbf) and a shittier dock and shittier power supply than other branches because why not? gently caress it!! gotta save that money!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

scott zoloft posted:

A lot of ppl think gift cards are a legitimate payment form for some reason idk how that happened

Normalized gift card giving for every life and holiday event ever.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have like 5 of those Apple trash can looking things. They've never been on the network so I don't know what their purpose was

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty sure our ISP has just reported successfully setting up a reverse DNS entry without having the delegation from RIPE in place yet 🙃

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Boba Pearl posted:

There are businesses that use apple products??? Why????

Bc we can and we like it:gary:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

unbutthurtable posted:

The main reason a company might provide iPhones is that someone who makes these kinds of decisions personally wants the company to give them an iPhone

I'm an Android guy, but when I did desktop support, iPhones were way easier. In general, I found that the iPhones were far more consistent and that made it easy to help navigate someone through a problem.

The people with Android phones all seemed to have wildly different setups depending on which model they had.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So how long until someone writes an AI to attend meetings for them work their side hustle?

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1455550274530160645

edit: See!

https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/1455643104489345025

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gFSENorEY

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Boba Pearl posted:

https://www.jamf.com/resources/videos/ibm-and-jamf-technology-choice-improves-performance-and-satisfaction/

User experience: Net Promoter Scale (NPS) is 32.5 points higher for Mac: 15 for Windows, 47.5 for Mac
Employee performance: IBMers who choose Mac score higher on their annual performance assessment than Windows users
Employee retention: IBMers who choose mac are 17% less likely to leave IBM

Give your people what they want.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KS posted:

https://www.jamf.com/resources/videos/ibm-and-jamf-technology-choice-improves-performance-and-satisfaction/

User experience: Net Promoter Scale (NPS) is 32.5 points higher for Mac: 15 for Windows, 47.5 for Mac
Employee performance: IBMers who choose Mac score higher on their annual performance assessment than Windows users
Employee retention: IBMers who choose mac are 17% less likely to leave IBM

Give your people what they want.

Based on my experience with IBM and their (former) employees I'm gonna disregard IBM advice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What, you don't want your SAN installed backwards?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

spent the last 2 days on site waiting for IBM to pull a jammed tape out of a tape library from 2005 so prod backups could run on a system we manage for another agency :shepicide:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Only when I need some NAS. :v:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
IBM = It's Bad Mate

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Explorer posted:

Nope and I don't want former IBM drones preaching that paid coffee instead of free coffee in the office is a good thing either.

That might have been because he was a teetotalling rear end in a top hat and maybe not IBM related, but he kept mentioning IBM so much I cannot be sure.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Twice in my career I've been offered a role at IBM, unsolicited.

Twice I turned them down.

Zero times I had regrets.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Boba Pearl posted:

At $job-2, I remember a lunch&learn from the Mobile Management Team (Fortune 50 company, they were responsible for supporting probably thousands of phones).

It was a roughly 50/50 split iPhone/Android.

Android users generated 90% of the support requests.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

Only when I need some NAS. :v:

Amazing. If I could give you a gold star, I would.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Blackberry's where the go to phone product for our staff that got phones, then suddenly they were replaced with iphones when blackberry was no longer competitive many years ago. To this day I've never seen an issued android device despite the regulations being in place to purchase them since 2013 or something

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Wizard of the Deep posted:

At $job-2, I remember a lunch&learn from the Mobile Management Team (Fortune 50 company, they were responsible for supporting probably thousands of phones).

It was a roughly 50/50 split iPhone/Android.

Android users generated 90% of the support requests.

What’s even the go-to android model for a company buying phones for users? I can’t imagine having to support that poo poo for a workforce.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

unbutthurtable posted:

Boss "hates iPhones" and he not only wants to switch to android but also go from Verizon to tMobile

I will quit

Also that will be a pain in the dick reinstalling the two factor app for everyone

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 3, 2021

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What’s even the go-to android model for a company buying phones for users? I can’t imagine having to support that poo poo for a workforce.

I’m buying a million s10es right now. Before that it was s9 before that S8, and before that I have a draws of like 100 s7s

We also offer a few other models of people want them.

I’d rather just have iPhones but the mothership wants to see texts and air watch wouldn’t let them see iMessages. Idk how it is on intune but that’s what they are moving to

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No one can see iMessage content, that’s the point

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Where can I buy a Palo Alto vm for cheap? Any clouds offer them?

I need to shut up a network engineer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Oh this is perfect, can't wait to use it. My manager told me today that I should have turned on my background blur on a Teams meeting because it was "unprofessional".

My background was a white wall and a ceiling fan :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

I don’t know about cheap but we run Palo Alto vms on azure

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
All 3 clouds provide a VM, we use them in aws/gcp

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That actually makes a ton of sense, I worked as an iPhone repair woman for a few years and it was terrible, trying to imagine what it's like to provide customer support for a device that almost every fix is "Well, completely wipe the phone and hope the user remembers their cloud password." Though I'm starting to realize that's actually probably preferable in an IT environment.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Imagine 4 cloud firewall VMs on the edge.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jaegerx posted:

Doesn't AWS marketplace have something for that? Also I'm curious about the backstory that spawned this request now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Boba Pearl posted:

That actually makes a ton of sense, I worked as an iPhone repair woman for a few years and it was terrible, trying to imagine what it's like to provide customer support for a device that almost every fix is "Well, completely wipe the phone and hope the user remembers their cloud password." Though I'm starting to realize that's actually probably preferable in an IT environment.

People want a lock that is totally secure. Except when they lose their combination.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Sickening posted:

People want a lock that is totally secure. Except when they lose their combination.

Pretty sure this is a big plot point in a major, recently released single-player video game.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Doesn't AWS marketplace have something for that? Also I'm curious about the backstory that spawned this request now.

I said he was a network engineer. Do I need to elaborate? They’re the epitome of I can’t duplicate it so it’s not my problem.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a network engineer as well and this sounds like a you problem and not a network problem.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I'm a network engineer as well and this sounds like a you problem and not a network problem.

Hence I have to prove it to get you to investigate. That’s what I’m doing.

I’ll see you in my meeting at 9:30am to eat crow.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh this is perfect, can't wait to use it. My manager told me today that I should have turned on my background blur on a Teams meeting because it was "unprofessional".

My background was a white wall and a ceiling fan :shrug:

This is in my rotation of low aspiration videoconference backgrounds...

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Didn’t we post a bunch of backgrounds earlier when we were all quarantined? I’m still using the bad cable management one and I blow a fan into the microphone so it sounds like I’m in a data center.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I haven’t had a single instance of my camera being on and I don’t know why anyone else would either. Why would I allow everyone to see me not listening or making wry faces constantly at the poo poo going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Y’all need to relink those. Before quarantine Webex didn’t have custom backgrounds and now they do.

We’re a company new to video meetings and some managers demand cameras on. It’s ridiculous.