Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Don't they have to as part of some of the existing food agreements?

Like "non-EU salt and pepper" isn't a marketing thing, it's saying "this can't be sold in the EU without further checks" rather than "100% guaranteed that a Dutchman hasn't touched this salt and pepper with his disgusting Euro hands"

It's usually printed on the back with the list of ingredients.... not slobbered all over the front as an advertisement.

That looks deliberately anti EU, from my view at least. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Think without borders. Except the borders we like.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This is the woman who was interviewed in that horrible BBC article that just today they’ve been all out defending. Content warning for some genuinely violent transphobia

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1455574098717913096?s=21

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So they've finished in Scotland then have they? That was quick.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Noxville posted:

This is the woman who was interviewed in that horrible BBC article that just today they’ve been all out defending. Content warning for some genuinely violent transphobia

That is horrific.
I think that is probably the most hateful thing I have ever read in a public place.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Noxville posted:

She seems to have decided that when people call her a rapist, they're referring to the abstract feminist concept that all paid sex work is rape, and not the multiple times she sexually assaulted women in public bathrooms.

Oh and of course she tried to invoke the red pill. Of loving course she did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose they could have one upped it if they had contacted elliot rodger via ouija board for comment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The hot new terf look is literally repeating "the worst thing that a man can be is a woman" from 1930s Nazi transmisogyny while calling yourself a brave feminist.

Now lets get a fair and balanced medical view from some nice old doctors we found hiding in Argentina.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

feedmegin posted:

I mean the actual things are to prevent staining the seats with the hair pomade you are definitely using because it's still 1955 (or 1855) :shobon:

Armchairs get stained eventually just from natural hair oils (and hand oils), so a washable cover of some sort does make sense. Well, that was my thinking when I resolved to defy fashion and make some antimacassars for my elderly armchairs. But they constantly get pulled aside and fail to protect anything, so I have made twee things in vain . :argh:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Staple them on

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually didn't think anything could really rattle me any more but that insane screed kinda has, genuinely unnerving to know I'm walking around with people like that out there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It feels like it's reaching tipping point and this is going to lead to a trans person getting killed except that happens all the loving time and nobody does anything, not anyone with the power to effect real change anyway.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I found a rich! Gettim!

Piling on someone is illegal now, Johnny. :cop:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What about rugby?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I actually didn't think anything could really rattle me any more but that insane screed kinda has, genuinely unnerving to know I'm walking around with people like that out there.
It's indistinguishable from any other 8kun nazi quanon incel ecofash mass shooter manifesto garbage, like a long turd full of "this marginalized group is simultaneously strong and weak and dangerous and degenerate and must be eliminated, eat the red pills" that seems to come out whenever someone's brain reaches a critical mass of worms and amphetamines and alienation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but at least the nazis usually go around heiling a lot and most people will say they are the bad guys. These nutcases go around thinking they're god's gift and get published by the BBC.

I am less worried about nazis because I think they are easier to spot and most of the groups I would voluntarily associate with are likely to exclude them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping that if one tiny good thing comes of this it'll be that most reasonable people will have some kind of Jolyon Maugham moment* and start putting this in the same category

Of course the BBC and most of the rest of the press will do their hardest to just pretend it doesn't exist, but so long as people can get their heads around the fact that Nazis aren't poo poo because they wave scary flags and are interested in esoteric political ideas, they're poo poo because those flags and ideas call for oppression and murder, there's no way of excusing any of this either.

*The one where he realized that terves are as violent and unhinged as everyone was saying, not the incident with the fox

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In a sense yes, I am hoping that it crosses the glinner threshold and ends up making them look like the raving psychopaths they are.

But I am also just very, very exhausted by the fact that that is the best I can hope for.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Doubt it will make any difference to the BBC, just today John Mcanus posted this:

https://twitter.com/PandoraSylvana/status/1455512234017316874?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Perhaps, but what about all the people who criticised it for other reasons? Like to do with the lady that's now had a massive meltdown.

I dunno who John McManus is though. His wife on Britain's got talent?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Since last week Morrisons' is now US owned.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Perhaps, but what about all the people who criticised it for other reasons? Like to do with the lady that's now had a massive meltdown.

I dunno who John McManus is though. His wife on Britain's got talent?

He's a BBC journo, there defending the rapist's testimony and trying to insinuate this is an issue about believing women

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Noxville posted:

Holy poo poo that's so unhinged you want to laugh, then you realise this lunatic is being gleefully platformed by the BBC and you just have to sigh at the state of it all really

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oh no. What a surprise. I'm so shocked

https://twitter.com/DrOnkarSahotaAM/status/1455615866096214025

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Glinner had apparently libeled a bunch of high profile gay men by accusing them of covering up a child sex ring, so hopefully he finally losses the remaining rights to his TV shows to cover the damages and we can go back to enjoying Father Ted.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jedit posted:

I remember that guy from uni, although be damned if I can remember his name now. Sad story - he went off the deep end after his Masters thesis was rejected and spent all his time hanging out on the High Street with a giant placard protesting the bias of Maxwell Irvine (who was chancellor at the time). Of course a year or so of that and you become completely unemployable. That was when he hit the Army Surplus stores and went full conspirasphere. Last I know of him was about 15 years ago; he was living in a tiny bedsit with army camo curtains and a giant board about Scottish nationalism in the window.

I didn't know Coohoolin went that crazy!

e: I don't know when someone did the custom title but I'm kinda into it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/allthecitizens/status/1455612648259735559?s=21

Stay as safe as you can, folks. This is getting worse before it's getting better.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Glinner had apparently libeled a bunch of high profile gay men by accusing them of covering up a child sex ring, so hopefully he finally losses the remaining rights to his TV shows to cover the damages and we can go back to enjoying Father Ted.

https://twitter.com/doodle_bobby/status/1455599940575576069

I really hope he loses everything.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 2, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I believe Glinner doesn't have anything left to lose.

Reliable reports that he got absolutely hosed by the divorce. Im pretty sure he doesnt own the rights to anything anymore.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
He owns that one pan and cheese grater

Paper Planes
Mar 23, 2013
Hi UKMT

Sorry I'm a big lurker in this thread, but I did want to ask a question in case anyone is knowledgeable about employment law.

During the Christmas period, our company forces us to use our annual leave when the offices are shut down, however I do work in a department that provides support and advice. We have been asked to volunteer to watch our help desk for queries that come through during this time, however I think there is no time in lieu nor compensation offered, being as its in a period that the company has actively forced us to take leave, is this legal? (I have no intention of volunteering, keeping my leave sacred! But it would be useful to know!)

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Glinner can't write anymore. All he does is cut and paste Twitter. You need a degree in Twitter to work out what the gently caress he's on about. I haven't got a clue who any of the people he talks about are.

The best thing I ever did was delete and block that cursed app or I'd have ended up a desiccated husk like him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I see that this threads favorite Billionaire was in the news yesterday.

For those who hadn't seen it, this is basically it.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1455182049552314378?s=20

My response: WHY DON'T YOU PUT THE WHOLE WORLD IN AN EXPLODING CAR, ELON?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Paper Planes posted:

Hi UKMT

Sorry I'm a big lurker in this thread, but I did want to ask a question in case anyone is knowledgeable about employment law.

During the Christmas period, our company forces us to use our annual leave when the offices are shut down, however I do work in a department that provides support and advice. We have been asked to volunteer to watch our help desk for queries that come through during this time, however I think there is no time in lieu nor compensation offered, being as its in a period that the company has actively forced us to take leave, is this legal? (I have no intention of volunteering, keeping my leave sacred! But it would be useful to know!)

Depends on your employment contract I guess. But I doubt it is illegal.
I once worked somewhere where my offer letter said 4 weeks annual leave, but when I got there I was told that it was compulsory to take the time between Xmas and New Year off as part of that. Which as someone who does not celebrate Xmas was not welcome. But that was in the 80s.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 2, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Paper Planes posted:

Hi UKMT

IANAL, and my knowledge on this is a few years out of date, but on the assumption that you're a salaried employee on a fixed hours contract:

- It is *not* legal for them to force you use up annual leave days on bank holidays if the company is ordinarily closed on bank holidays.
- It *may* be legal for them to force you to use annual leave on non-bank holidays if the company is closed on a day you would normally be working - this depends on quite a lot of factors but generally speaking the law is on the employer's side there.
- It is absolutely, 100%, *not* legal for them to have you work - even as a "volunteer" - on a day you have booked off even if you are forced to take that time off (with the exception of contractually-agreed cover shifts)

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It surprises me that workplaces are still doing Covid restrictions. Most of my colleagues are lucky if we get 1 day a week WFH (we have a lot of customer facing work) and quite a few people choose to wear masks, but that's up to individuals. We've booked a night out for the work Christmas do and some of us are going to a colleague's housewarming party next week.

In 18 months, nobody in my department has had Covid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

It surprises me that workplaces are still doing Covid restrictions. Most of my colleagues are lucky if we get 1 day a week WFH (we have a lot of customer facing work) and quite a few people choose to wear masks, but that's up to individuals. We've booked a night out for the work Christmas do and some of us are going to a colleague's housewarming party next week.

In 18 months, nobody in my department has had Covid.

On the other hand, I work with just two other people, there are only 3 paid employees at my work, and we only go in on Mondays. The other two both had covid in the past few weeks despite being double jabbed. Both of them have teenage kids at two different schools miles apart.

Fortunately, I did not succumb.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The Question IRL posted:

I see that this threads favorite Billionaire was in the news yesterday.

For those who hadn't seen it, this is basically it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He really isn't used to be questioned. I love the way he always glances to his aides with a "is this really happening?!?" look.

https://twitter.com/camanpour/status/1455611504728883210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paper Planes posted:

Hi UKMT

If you are 'working' on days in between Christmas you will not be using up your annual holiday allowance and if you are asked to work on a bank holiday you will receive that day back in lieu. If they are asking you to potentially keep an eye on an e-mail inbox and only 'work' if something comes in then it depends.

Are they asking you to be 'on call' and does your contract have a provision for what this is and what it means? Check your contract/employee handbook.

If they are asking you to volunteer as a just in case option then it gets into a very grey area. I for instance once ran the webstore for a fairly large clothing company and while we were 'closed' on Christmas day and boxing day I still kept an eye on the social media to make sure we didnt drop a bollock or get the page flooded with racism.

There was nothing more to it than checking an e-mail that came in and deciding if it was important enough to respond to (none were) and scanning the channels occasionally, and since I was sat on my phone for most of christmas was no real extra effort.

If you aren't going to volunteer then its really immaterial what the actual situation is as it doesn't matter to you. I would recommend you have an actual discussion to find out what the realities are as I can only offer the vaguest of advice without knowing for sure.