Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not that it'll matter at all, but you can email them your displeasure here:
https://www.youneedabudget.com/help-center/

There's a Contact Us button at the bottom that gives you an email popup window. I just told them I wouldn't be renewing my subscription when it's up. Not that it'll make any difference, but I feel slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Everywhere is going ham on the price.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ynab/comments/qkcgzc/ynab_rolling_out_an_18_price_increase/

There is some white-knighting on the official YNAB forums though, which is hilarious, but most of the posts are indeed making GBS threads on the price:
https://support.youneedabudget.com/t/q6hg599/ynab-price-change-2021

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 2, 2021

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I guess I’m glad my yearly renews in November.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just learned that despite putting reconciliation into the iOS app in May, the Android app still doesn't support it. :suicide:

And years ago they told me that putting reports in the mobile app is an absolute non-priority for them. It was recently repeated to someone else who inquired. Seriously, 100 bux?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah when I emailed them I basically said that they're giving a huge price bump for literally 0 no features beyond a new loan view, which is whatever. I still have a credit union that hasn't synched in 2 weeks, and another bank account CC that only syncs once a month. Absolutely ridiculous that their sync poo poo is still broke and unreliable, no announcement of new features, yet still, "hey pay us more."

It screams "we need to get our execs a Q4/EOY bonus for their second yacht."

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah when I emailed them I basically said that they're giving a huge price bump for literally 0 no features beyond a new loan view, which is whatever. I still have a credit union that hasn't synched in 2 weeks, and another bank account CC that only syncs once a month. Absolutely ridiculous that their sync poo poo is still broke and unreliable, no announcement of new features, yet still, "hey pay us more."

It screams "we need to get our execs a Q4/EOY bonus for their second yacht."

I also have a credit union account that imports transactions irregularly so I'm glad it's not just me.

When I first subbed it updated daily. A month or so later something changed on the credit union side of it, and now transactions come in whenever.

Support's solution is to import transactions which works well. I just wished it worked like normal again.

Not having this resolved with a price hike sucks, but I'm lucky that I can choose to eat the cost. I also came from everydollar and ynab is still better.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Got my fastest response ever from their help desk when I let them know one month notice on a 100% price increase (I renew in December) was garbage and this is the response I got, in case anyone’s curious:

“I hear you and I understand the disappointment. It is a big price jump for folks who were on our legacy pricing. When we raised our prices four years ago we were able to extend legacy subscription pricing to our existing YNABers while new folks paid the current price of $84 per year, and that was huge.

I did want to clarify one thing on why we chose December—we didn't want to increase our prices right after all our new users subscribe in February so we made the decision to do it before they sign up. That gives them the opportunity to decide whether YNAB is providing enough value compared to the price. ”

I haven’t decided if I’m going to reup or not at this point, I do still find it helpful, but am having a hard time with the sticker shock and just how terrible their clarification was.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 2, 2021

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Well, I'm paid up until May, so I'm gonna stay on this ship until then. I really hope buckets comes out with an app soon.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is there even a notice from YNAB about the price increase other than a message that I ignored and closed without reading because it’s never important? Like no email or anything, right?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Sockser posted:

Is there even a notice from YNAB about the price increase other than a message that I ignored and closed without reading because it’s never important? Like no email or anything, right?

Their support person on their blog post announcing it says that an email is “planned in the coming weeks.”

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's another option:

https://lunchmoney.app/

--edit: Nevermind, costs the same.
--edit: Well, it has more features, so YMMV.

Doesn’t have an iOS app so less features that matter to me. I guess I should be poking around the App Store for alternatives, but honestly a $15/year increase doesn’t seem that bad to me. Still, the price change is a good moment to shop around.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Just went and peeped my account page

Going to assume they're not going to honor that

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Their support person on their blog post announcing it says that an email is “planned in the coming weeks.”

lmao
they bungled this up pretty good

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone try GoodBudget? Apparently there’s a free and premium tier.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Sockser posted:

Just went and peeped my account page

Going to assume they're not going to honor that

lmao
they bungled this up pretty good

mine looks like that too, i am assuming it will update on december 1

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I really want to know what happened internally to cause this announcement to happen like this

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm mine renews on January 7th. Well drat.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For once I got lucky and renewed right before the price hike. To think I was already smarting at 83 bucks (80.51 with the Apple Card).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Back in the YNAB 4 days I hit some sort of break-even point between finally getting a handle on my finances (I was fresh out of college, it took a few years) and also starting to make enough money vs how much I could reasonably spend in a month that I didn't reallllly need to worry too hard about budgeting.

I still put money in my buckets, down to having discrete categories for Hulu and Funimation and Netflix, and I reconcile my accounts out once a week, but a lot of 'flexible' categories like clothing get $100 budgeted to them and if I go over it I shrug and add some more money to the category. And I stopped giving every dollar a job-- once I got to the point of having the next three months budgeted out, worrying about a spare $250-1000 floating around unassigned seemed less important, and let me be a lot more flexible for those categories that were all kind of shrugging points.

But it still sort of keeps me in check, and forces me to actually pay attention to my spending and see that I have enough cash on hand to cover my rear end if something happens (I just took a six month sabbatical from work because I knew that I could float like a full year with no real problems), and also having big buckets of cash earmarked for vacations or all of the plumbing in my house failing (again)

So I'm really bastardizing the process and what YNAB is intended to be for, but I suppose part of the process is figuring out what works for you, right?

I also have a second budget that has been running literally since I graduated college where I just do a manual account adjustment on the last day of every month for every account I have just to keep a running net worth graph, which I just love to stare at:

You can see where I bought my first real car! Or bought a house! Or uh, got acquired by a big Bay Area tech company with massive stock payouts

And it seems like every ynab alternative I look at doesn't reeeeeeeally do what I want it to do, or follow the workflow that I've grown accustomed to, and it totally suckssssssssssss and I feel like I'm either going to need to absorb the $100 price tag (which sucks but obviously I can afford but also I really don't want to out of principle) or do a big dumb massive "port all of ynab into excel" process that I also really don't want to do. I also realize what I'm doing is sooooooooorta what mint is for but I've never ever enjoyed using mint. Just feels bad. (I just checked and it still feels awful) (and immediately got an ad emailed to me after I re-opened my intuit account. Cool)

And I could go back to YNAB4 but I've also just turned bank sync into a pretty heavy crutch that I don't think I can give up.

Anyway that's my whole bitch session thank you for reading.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Sockser posted:

So I'm really bastardizing the process and what YNAB is intended to be for, but I suppose part of the process is figuring out what works for you, right?

If you make a tiny adjustment where instead of floating X amount you just put it all in a "Buffer" or "TBD" category you can work with the software instead of against it and keep your process. This should work with any envelope method style app.

The only "trick" to making it behave exactly like you do now is just make sure you never actually spent or assign transactions to that buffer category, only ever use it as a bag of spare cash you transfer to other places when you need it, just like you do with the floating now.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Xik posted:

If you make a tiny adjustment where instead of floating X amount you just put it all in a "Buffer" or "TBD" category you can work with the software instead of against it and keep your process. This should work with any envelope method style app.

The only "trick" to making it behave exactly like you do now is just make sure you never actually spent or assign transactions to that buffer category, only ever use it as a bag of spare cash you transfer to other places when you need it, just like you do with the floating now.

This is exactly how I use YNAB

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Xik posted:

This is how I handle hobby spending right now, fwiw.
I have a category for "hobbies" which has a line item for 'master', and any time I spend money on wood or fabric or ethernet cables I just move money from there.

Working against the software has more to do with me not actually ... following a budget? I guess? Like I care a lot about the secondary and tertiary features of YNAB and not the primary focus, which I can't really seem to find from anyone else.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have a mixture of emergency buffer and budgeting several months out.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My fun budget categories don’t really keep me super in check anymore the way it’s designed to now that I’m in a much much better place. My “Restaurant” budget is set to an ideal average goal to spend under and if I go over? Eh whatever. I don’t adjust the budgeted amount and let it stare at me to show that I’ve been bad and ate a bunch for the month.

I just got married and we plan on combining finances for the new year. My dumb brain is very excited to see number go up in the reporting with minor changes in budgeted amounts.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am two months ahead in YNAB with a bit more I leave floating and available to budget, and also keep an 'Emergency Fund' category which is essentially the "oh poo poo something truly unexpected came up" or the "oh man I really want to impulse buy this thing" fund. I like to give every dollar a job but I am in a position to not need to use YNAB to keep me strictly following my budget. I am fine with, and in fact take some amount of pleasure in manually entering all my transactions. I've got retirement accounts and my estimated house value as reported in Zillow along with my mortgage to give me a ball park net worth, and I probably mostly use YNAB these days because I like to watch the number go up. :shobon:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i use fun money as a flex pool to adjust my budget month to month while also keeping tabs on overall spending

i am on the more conservative side because i keep six months of efund plus three months running budget

agreed though that it's more for awareness and my wife and i are at the point where the bucket amounts aren't hard limits - it's more for awareness and we generally try to flex if we go too hard in one area or another

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I handle this by becoming increasingly aggressive about savings and having a general approach of moving money freely between categories in a group but not between groups. So my discretionary group I keep relatively tight and I have categories for keeping track of what kind of spending I’m doing, but pretty fluid about where the mo he modes between them.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So the YNAB subreddit is in shambes right now, but there is a list of alternatives on the front page.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ynab/comments/qkvc7s/alternates_to_ynabheres_a_list/?ref=share&ref_source=link

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I have been an YNAB user for years. Off and on since YNAB 4. Committed to it in 2018.
I planned to go back to school and had ideas of how it would work out. Then I lost work, and life poo poo happen, and well, thanks to YNAB I have enough to pay rent and phone bill until May, food and any other costs I am not so sure. So I have been making as much spending cuts as possible, having lowered my subcriptions to $22 CAD a month for services I use everyday and a lot.

I was debating if I wanted to keep YNAB. As an Canadian, my $74.00USD was around $110 CAD give or take our dollar value, credit card fees, etc. My subcription was due for renewal right after Decemeber 1st. Now it will cost me $130 MIN for a yearly plan. That is a week and some of meal planning for me (no take out).
I looked into getting a student plan but they had information that I was on a student plan TWICE under YNAB 4 and nYNAB.

So I have deleted my old account. Made a new one under a new e-mail. I plan to eventually e-mail them with my student information of this year and hope to get a free plan pretending to be completely new to YNAB. I will dig around for my YNAB 4 key so I can still get that sweet 10% discount. Hopefully I will have dug myself back up out of this mess by November/Decemeber 2022. If not, praying for a good alerntaive will come along.

I know for us $80 bucks people, an $15 increase "isn't much" but honestly, it is really ignorate of countries outside of USA and those living in low income. That "15" is $20 - $25 for me.

It just baffles me that I can get Youtube Premium for less than YNAB even without the student discount that I got (and I am currently on a 3 month free trail).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What’s even worse is that auto importing transactions only works in the US. So everyone outside the US pays the gold price for basically YNAB without its most important and expensive feature. And they are also being bumped up as well. It’s wild and just plain comical how badly they hosed this up.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I decided to go check out how the YNAB Facebook group was handling it, and was surprised how much less negative the reaction there was, and how much more parasocial their relationship to an app is.

That said, if they’re going to increase the rate and continue to message about it this poorly, I’m going to shop around before the subscription renews. Does anyone have experience with Monarch Money? It looks somewhat cleaner and has more of the features I need now that I’m more in maintenance mode than I was when I started YNAB.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
The focus on autoimport is likely driving this increase. I'm sure that Plaid is not cheap.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What’s even worse is that auto importing transactions only works in the US. So everyone outside the US pays the gold price for basically YNAB without its most important and expensive feature. And they are also being bumped up as well. It’s wild and just plain comical how badly they hosed this up.

Oh I wrote a big rant about that too, but editted it out. I input everything myself.

The only thing I do is imput, track my student loans, track my spending, and the app is a bonus but i can live without it if I need to go back to YNAB 4. So paying 130ish bucks is frusrating for a fancy excel sheet.

I just wish YNAB did different pricing based on people needs. Manual input and loan tracking with support should be $60USD a year (Around $75CAD). Auto inport can be $100 a year for convenice.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 3, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Still blows my mind that the whole methodology was based around manual input and having that hands on experience with your money and that the biggest feature since going to the web is just the implementation of auto import and getting rid of that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Budget With Buckets just added this

code:
v0.61.0 - 2021-11-03¶
NEW: Added the ability to import from nYNAB’s exported zip files. (#110)
NEW: Faint cents are now disabled by default. You can re-enable them in preferences if you like squinting :) (#344)
Time to test it out!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Still blows my mind that the whole methodology was based around manual input and having that hands on experience with your money and that the biggest feature since going to the web is just the implementation of auto import and getting rid of that.

You still have to approve every transaction with auto-import, it just skips the step where you login to your bank and copy/paste numbers.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

https://www.youneedabudget.com/price-change-2021/

So they made a webpage explaing the price change. You have to search for it. Otherwise, still no communication from them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

DrNewton posted:

https://www.youneedabudget.com/price-change-2021/

So they made a webpage explaing the price change. You have to search for it. Otherwise, still no communication from them.

"Continue improving our product"

The gently caress have you added in the past 4 years that wasn't just taking forever to port over yNAB4 features? The loan view?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's funny that you still have to use that tool kit chrome extension to not make the UI look like poo poo and all spread out

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just tried to re-auth my credit union account

quote:

Direct Import is Temporarily Unavailable
The Direct Import service is unavailable at the moment. You can check our status page for more details. Please try again in a few minutes.

this_is_fine.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

As an FYI, YNAB 4 works perfectly using WINE. Been running it on Linux for years now.