Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

New tits on a trash song made into a commercial jingle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4wDcmoRig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Bump up the ages from 16-17 and getting tired of him when you hit college, that that was mostly my experience.

College is when I got into Nostalgia Critic, because my tastes mature more slowly than most people I know. It took the death of Blip and the realization that Doug was going to keep making awkward, uncomfortable, skit-heavy reviews of movies that were still in theaters for me to transition to watching Super Best Friends instead.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I could have sworn I'd already seen this video because there's no other way I'd listen to this song but I was thinking of the one by Pat Finnerty

https://youtu.be/hcwVZTtx-3M

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

this guy gets really low numbers but i've enjoyed his retro fighting game retrospectives, although i think he gets way more exposure from his videos where he creates rosters fro fighting game sequels. his latest one is darkstalkers and it's pretty fun/dismal going into how much capcom is screwing up their fighting franchises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW11gla0gok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpWeXwgrZo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzIOIC3d9qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWzxu2_id8

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

this guy gets really low numbers but i've enjoyed his retro fighting game retrospectives, although i think he gets way more exposure from his videos where he creates rosters fro fighting game sequels. his latest one is darkstalkers and it's pretty fun/dismal going into how much capcom is screwing up their fighting franchises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW11gla0gok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpWeXwgrZo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzIOIC3d9qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWzxu2_id8

Thorgi makes me wish SBFP was still around so they can have him on the podcast, both because he seems like he'd gel really well with Woolie and because it'd be hilarious to see another channel they promoted eclipse them in popularity.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Scorched Spitz posted:

Thorgi makes me wish SBFP was still around so they can have him on the podcast, both because he seems like he'd gel really well with Woolie and because it'd be hilarious to see another channel they promoted eclipse them in popularity.

Woolie and Pat still have a podcast and they still have periodic guests on it though?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not sure why but I remember exactly where I was when I saw that commercial. Musta been because it was so weird seeing him on TV.

Is Doug the reason "just summarize the plot of a movie" became a thing? He got so upset about his The Room "review" getting taken down but it's not like he actually does anything transformative.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 2, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not sure why but I remember exactly where I was when I saw that commercial. Musta been because it was so weird seeing him on TV.

Is Doug the reason "just summarize the plot of a movie" became a thing? He got so upset about his The Room "review" getting taken down but it's not like he actually does anything transformative.

I think it took off more because it was just a way to get a lot of content that looked better than most of the stuff on Youtube at the time (since you got to mostly show clips from a professional-produced product) without needing all of the budget of a professional production (since, once again, you're mostly showing clips from other content). Recapping, particularly snarky recapping, had been a thing on the internet since Television Without Pity. It was also having a heyday in the mid-00s, with sites like the AV Club getting into the game and having recaps of most of the big shows airing every night. Thus, it was a pretty natural evolution when people started doing videos. Doug just managed to get in early, have good branding, and have enough of a work ethic to build that brand.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nice

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Groovelord Neato posted:

He spent the best part of a decade bellowing "satire/parody clause!" regardless of whether he'd done anything transformative or not, as though it was some sort of magic spell.

I dunno if he invented the style but he was definitely one of it's most prominent users. Honestly it's still better than the people on youtube who just literally narrate what happens in comics or books over images from the comic/book. I'm looking at you, Alien Theory.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I think it took off more because it was just a way to get a lot of content that looked better than most of the stuff on Youtube at the time (since you got to mostly show clips from a professional-produced product) without needing all of the budget of a professional production (since, once again, you're mostly showing clips from other content). Recapping, particularly snarky recapping, had been a thing on the internet since Television Without Pity. It was also having a heyday in the mid-00s, with sites like the AV Club getting into the game and having recaps of most of the big shows airing every night. Thus, it was a pretty natural evolution when people started doing videos. Doug just managed to get in early, have good branding, and have enough of a work ethic to build that brand.

Yeah, it was kind of a perfect storm. We had a generation of people in their 20's/30's with MSTK still fresh in their minds from the earlier decade, now with the means to cheaply make content. Riffing other media was easy, popular and natural; hell, Agony Booth was doing 12-page long TEXT riffs in the early 2000s, and doing well enough that hundreds of thousands of geeks like me waited for months for the next one to drop !

Add video games to the mix as something you can mine for material regularly (and without getting sued), and you have the cornerstone of the online video boom.

As a last bit on Doug Walker, and to make a point of comparison to other Channel Awesome fare, I like to point at the Rocky series retrospective with Spoony and Brad Jones. It's really clear that they are genuinely engaged with the topic, aware of its virtues and warts, do a great job of laying out both the movies by themselves and the way the series veers into camp (and then redemption!), and are also being really loving funny without resorting to screeching or tired bits.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And now for something completely different:

This is a great song

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

He spent the best part of a decade bellowing "satire/parody clause!" regardless of whether he'd done anything transformative or not, as though it was some sort of magic spell.

I dunno if he invented the style but he was definitely one of it's most prominent users. Honestly it's still better than the people on youtube who just literally narrate what happens in comics or books over images from the comic/book. I'm looking at you, Alien Theory.

It's got to the point where there are a slew of channels where a Microsoft Sam reads off a plot synopsis over clips and get millions of views.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, it was kind of a perfect storm. We had a generation of people in their 20's/30's with MSTK still fresh in their minds from the earlier decade, now with the means to cheaply make content. Riffing other media was easy, popular and natural; hell, Agony Booth was doing 12-page long TEXT riffs in the early 2000s, and doing well enough that hundreds of thousands of geeks like me waited for months for the next one to drop !

Yeah, MST3K is responsible for... a lot of it, I think. I've never heard Rolfe or Doug mention it,* but I do know both Lindsay and Linkara are big fans and of course Spoony actually tried to make his own version.

*I wouldn't be surprised if Doug wouldn't get most of the references.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
BREADSWORD - "The Lost Art of Licensed Video Games"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzWONOcloM&t=120s

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Okay, I didn't know münecat and so I watched another video and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jgFsMcf_Kk

:ohno:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, MST3K is responsible for... a lot of it, I think. I've never heard Rolfe or Doug mention it,* but I do know both Lindsay and Linkara are big fans and of course Spoony actually tried to make his own version.

Spoony was for sure the most openly influenced by MST3K, even beyond his own mascot being a direct send up. He also had genuine comedic chops and could actually pull the style off: some of his best stuff like the Phantasmagoria LP or the Reb Brown saga more or less ditched the "over the top anger interspersed with silly skits" style that Doug and James adhered to for just straight riffing and it worked. Spoony's Yor: Hunter from the Future, Lords of Magick, and Strike Commandos videos are imo all up there as being on par with some of the better MST3K episodes, albeit in a much more trimmed down format.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh hell yeah

there was an old blog with a segment called "Steve, don't eat it!" and I've always considered this Steve to be the mirror world version of that Steve

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dawgstar posted:

I think that even the ones that probably weren't directly inspired by MST3K were, if nothing else, drawing inspiration from things that drew on MST3K. Doug, Rolfe and the rest of Channel Awesome was a pretty direct outgrowth of the whole "snarky 80s nostalgia and bad movie reviews" genre of pre-Youtube web articles you'd see from things like X-Entertainment, Seanbaby and early Something Awful, pretty much all of which either drew direct inspiration from MST3K or at least moved among the same circles as its fans.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m glad Seanbaby’s new site seems to be doing well.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KingKalamari posted:

I think that even the ones that probably weren't directly inspired by MST3K were, if nothing else, drawing inspiration from things that drew on MST3K. Doug, Rolfe and the rest of Channel Awesome was a pretty direct outgrowth of the whole "snarky 80s nostalgia and bad movie reviews" genre of pre-Youtube web articles you'd see from things like X-Entertainment, Seanbaby and early Something Awful, pretty much all of which either drew direct inspiration from MST3K or at least moved among the same circles as its fans.

It is kind of wild to try and imagine how different today's media landscape would be if MST3K had never existed.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

bobjr posted:

The podcast they've been doing in tandem with it is also pretty fun! (Though I wish they'd stop having David Wong/Jason Pargin on as a guest so frequently, that guy's kind of a dip)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LanceHunter posted:

It is kind of wild to try and imagine how different today's media landscape would be if MST3K had never existed.
I bet if they didn't, someone else would have done something similar. Maybe a bit later and maybe worse, but I think it still would have emerged in some form.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG4Yy-1G-wc

Can't really offer much insight on tutorials but when I think about some of the poo poo with tons of mechanics like Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Horizon or even just the Arkham Batman and Marvel Spider-Man games I can't really think about how to improve things. And that's not even getting really complicated games like Monster Hunter or DMC.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A lot of his videos are difficult to watch since I'm at least a generation gap away from most of the music he reviews, and it's real hard to keep an open mind, but this was borderline upsetting. Like the hip hop hand gestures and bouncing, the goddamn lyrics. When he talks about the song potentially playing in the Applebees you're in I felt a sense of horror I haven't made acquaintance with since I was young enough for my parents to embarrass me. Todd nails the low self-esteem thing present in country music and those who listen to it, though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

IronicDongz posted:

I bet if they didn't, someone else would have done something similar. Maybe a bit later and maybe worse, but I think it still would have emerged in some form.

I mean, maybe. It was a pretty unique set of circumstances that caused it to happen, though. (As most other small stations that wanted some kind of original draw but had virtually no budget but a large library of z-tier movies just went with the obvious choice of doing the type of personality-hosted midnight-movie thing like the old Vampira or Elvira shows.)

There was certainly a nascent "remix culture" growing over the course of the late 80s, and plenty of media parody, but it was mostly stuff like The Real Live Brady Bunch or Negativland's U2 trolling. Maybe the jump to direct live riffing would have happened elsewhere, maybe not...

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

A lot of his videos are difficult to watch since I'm at least a generation gap away from most of the music he reviews, and it's real hard to keep an open mind, but this was borderline upsetting. Like the hip hop hand gestures and bouncing, the goddamn lyrics. When he talks about the song potentially playing in the Applebees you're in I felt a sense of horror I haven't made acquaintance with since I was young enough for my parents to embarrass me. Todd nails the low self-esteem thing present in country music and those who listen to it, though.

Yeah one of the most important things to recognize about the reactionary movement in america is that it's born from a place of entitled inferiority complex. It really has shifted, as Todd brought up before, from being confident and assured of its place in the world, to being bitter about the idea that people don't think they're cool anymore. They've lost cultural hegemony, and they're upset about that and lash out. They like the idea of being unpalatable and annoying, because they're trying to hurt the sensibilities of people who they think hate them. However, all they're really doing is proving that they're motivated by spite, lack the esteem to be comfortable with themselves and their beliefs as they are, and hate the people who they think hate them far more than the reverse. It's a pretty unavoidable conclusion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

country music should be self-hating in a mournful, relatable way like townes van zandt; this is self-hating in an aggressive, spiteful way

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

bobjr posted:

That's great to know. Always really liked his stuff, but given his personal style and MMA passion, I was really scared he'd be a turbo-chud.

Turns out it's exactly the opposite and it's one of those surprises that cleanses your soul a bit.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Seanbaby is practically Exhibit A against comedians who whine that political correctness is killing comedy. He grew and adapted to the times without changing his comedic voice at all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

country music should be self-hating in a mournful, relatable way like townes van zandt; this is self-hating in an aggressive, spiteful way

And if not that, at least be a stoner and hail satan like Hank III.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
all country music should be about alcoholism, loneliness, and your wife

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fun hater posted:

Alao how much your job sucks and you wanna kill your boss

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Alao how much your job sucks and you wanna kill your boss

yeah!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grondoth posted:

Yeah one of the most important things to recognize about the reactionary movement in america is that it's born from a place of entitled inferiority complex. It really has shifted, as Todd brought up before, from being confident and assured of its place in the world, to being bitter about the idea that people don't think they're cool anymore. They've lost cultural hegemony, and they're upset about that and lash out. They like the idea of being unpalatable and annoying, because they're trying to hurt the sensibilities of people who they think hate them. However, all they're really doing is proving that they're motivated by spite, lack the esteem to be comfortable with themselves and their beliefs as they are, and hate the people who they think hate them far more than the reverse. It's a pretty unavoidable conclusion.

It's probably tied heavily into the shifting demographics of country music (like how Todd points the pretty darn nice homes for all those people dancing in the tik toks) cross-pollinating with general American reactionary anti-intellectualism that's gradually seeded country music.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFV2-7cgRo4

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Mr. Wendal of Mr Wendal on games has formally announced on his Patreon that he's "retiring" from Youtube, after having not made a video at all this year. It's too bad, he was really good at making short-form video game content which seems to be becoming increasingly rare.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
CJ the X did a video on the Eldritch Horror of Coraline, a lovely stop-motion animation children's horror movie based on a short story penned by one Kneel, Gay Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEH21NYJMU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Doug sucks so much he isn't even the biggest terrible film critic. CinemaSins are both much worse at everything attempted and way more popular.

CinemaSins has improved a lot over the last few years. It's still light-comedy riffing, but it seems they've been listing to their critics and are not relying on a lot of their lazier crutches. Today's episode on Black Widow was legitimately very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhg_ymJwRI8&t=70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

CinemaSins has improved a lot over the last few years. It's still light-comedy riffing, but it seems they've been listing to their critics and are not relying on a lot of their lazier crutches. Today's episode on Black Widow was legitimately very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhg_ymJwRI8&t=70s

Still seems pretty interminable a few minutes in so I'll take your word for it.

In the interests of complete fairness, he is right about lightning bugs though.