Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Any-who I’m just checking in for old time sake since I’ve completely ignored campaigns since sanders got shellacked.

My hot take is that T-Mac losing is entirely due to the two spending bills not getting fuckin done before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Democratic AG and Lt. Gov are doing about .6% to 1.5% better than T-Mac, so there is a (very very very small) chance of a hilarious outcome where Youngkin becomes Governor and the Lt. Gov + AG are Democrats.

Can you please source this stuff?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Barreft posted:

Can you please source this stuff?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/11/02/us/elections/results-virginia.html

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Any-who I’m just checking in for old time sake since I’ve completely ignored campaigns since sanders got shellacked.

My hot take is that T-Mac losing is entirely due to the two spending bills not getting fuckin done before the election.

Didn't he campaign to the right of the Infrastructure bill? Brilliant plan on that one :thumbsup:

Is he the last of the remaining Third Way Clintonites, or are there more liches from that cursed political cabal wandering about?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/nate_cohn/status/1455687528196055052?s=21

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
If Princess Blanding gets every single vote that's left to count she can still win. I believe!!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Some rural counties in SW Virginia had 83% (!!!) turnout and were going 86-14 Youngkin.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1455688727594995720

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Lol you think at this point the Dems would stop running Clintonites with no charisma but they learn nothing

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455687823445708800?s=20
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455688205227941894?s=20
My Condolen-

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455690008430514182?s=20
huh?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Josh Lyman posted:

I live in Northern Virginia, a few subway stops from the White House, and based on Youngkin's ads, you wouldn't know he's a Trump-backed Republican.

His ads have been pretty slick, while none of Terry's really stood out. Youngkin did a pretty good job of painting himself as just an unattached moderate.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The mail-in vote for Loudon brought McAuliffe from 52.9 to 55.5 in that county, continuing the theme of him doing 1-2 points worse than he needs to do.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pollsters are looking pretty good tonight. Good for them; they needed a W. Also means that McAuliffe pissed away an incredibly winnable race.

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

Kirios posted:

We're probably in the, what, top 1% of informed people politically in the country?

This.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Derpies posted:

Lol you think at this point the Dems would stop running Clintonites with no charisma but they learn nothing

That would require having a viable canidate below 50

No way the Liche Lords, who continue to grasp to power until they are dust, who are in charge of the party would allow that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao, mcauliffe just sent out an email to supporters saying "win or lose, we ran a strong campaign."

did you, terry

did you really

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Derpies posted:

Look, that might require them to make changes to their campaign strategy documents beyond hitting find/replace-all twice for candidate names.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Don't run to the Right of your own party's messaging and iniatives fuckface

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

There's no real threat for them to take the house though, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Red posted:

His ads have been pretty slick, while none of Terry's really stood out. Youngkin did a pretty good job of painting himself as just an unattached moderate.
I remember the very first ad I saw, it gave me severe cognitive dissonance because it felt like "Wait, is he the moderate Dem candidate?"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Julian Castro on MSNBC making the impressively intuitive argument that "the centrist candidate losing reflects poorly on centrists, not progressives."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
McAuliffe basically knew everyone in the party already. Everyone was his buddy and/or arguably still owed where they were to him. He basically waltzed right back in on fundraising advantages and name recognition and didn't get truly tested. The two other primary candidates basically became invisible.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember the very first ad I saw, it gave me severe cognitive dissonance because it felt like "Wait, is he the moderate Dem candidate?"

The one with the old men stumbling in a horde past Youngkin?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Julian Castro on MSNBC making the impressively intuitive argument that "the centrist candidate losing reflects poorly on centrists, not progressives."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

I dunno, if the R's took the statehouse and the new governor took a flamethrower to everything progressives have done in Virginia in recent years and also empowered him to dictate right-wing education in public schools like he wants, that would probably REALLY teach those Democrats their lesson and embarrass the liberals. Probably for the best if it happens.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455692529790328835?s=20

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Welp

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Live by the white suburban vote; die by the white suburban vote.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mellow Seas posted:

Julian's learning how to be alright.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

If Youngkin wins, the GOP has almost certainly taken the House of Delegates.

Goodbye moderately progressive legislation. Hello STOP THE STEAL.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ugh, really don't want that rear end in a top hat to be governor but gently caress, getting moms angry about CRT being taught in schools was indeed a winning strategy.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

There seems to be a pattern starting from 2012 of Third Way democrats running terrible campaigns, being extremely arrogant, and losing hilariously and to devestating effect

Gosh I don't know what the common thread could possibly be :thunk:

Real puzzler

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Foy would have won

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:rip: The Virginia Model

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Not a great showing so far. How are the House races going?

That's unfortunately. I hope it's because of McAuliffe running a poor campaign and not because voters got cold feet about progressive policy.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

TulliusCicero posted:

There seems to be a pattern starting from 2012 of Third Way democrats running terrible campaigns, being extremely arrogant, and losing hilariously and to devestating effect

Real puzzler

need a Fourth Way, obv

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Foy would have won

Yes. And this makes me livid.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess a silver lining is that Democrats have a perfect case study, should they choose to consult it, in the 100% wrong way to respond to Republican dog whistles about education.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Speaking of the House races the district I'm in had the Republican candidate (James Edmunds) running completely unopposed, how many districts was that the case in?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Real puzzler

It's cause progressives exist :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Foy would have won

Indeed she would have. Would have been very happy to have voted for her.