Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Weve got a couple black guys at my unit and you can tell theyre always being judged and its loving heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Join the air force. At the times where racism spikes above baseline levels, it's usually by fat fucks who would die on Fury Road for want of synthetic insulin.

e. the sexism is still there tho so be male i guess

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 30, 2021

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I wear blue, but my trade is 90% remusters, so its a bit more army but more relaxed because most people hated the army

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

Weve got a couple black guys at my unit and you can tell theyre always being judged and its loving heartbreaking.

We had one First Nations guy in my reserve unit when I was in

I'm pretty sure he left before I did

Mind you this was in deepest prairies too sooooooooo

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If a civilian was aware of a CF member spouting some disturbing neo Nazi poo poo, is there somewhere that could be reported?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Theoretically, but your best bet is making it public and posting screen caps or something to their twitter. PAFOs will have him charged real fast.

Alternatively, call their base's public affairs office and inform them of what you have and your intent to bring it to the media.

The cf cant handle bad press right now so thats definitely the path of least resistence.

Good luck and i hope you get the rear end in a top hat kicked the gently caress out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sadly this rear end in a top hat was smart enough to do his egregious racism in private so I don’t have anything for the media.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Im sure it wouldnt be hard to coax out of him on a social media setting

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FrozenVent posted:

Sadly this rear end in a top hat was smart enough to do his egregious racism in private so I don’t have anything for the media.

If I was in, I'd probably still find someone to talk to about it. Recent harassment training can move forward even on a verbal-only report/record.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im sure it wouldnt be hard to coax out of him on a social media setting

Tell them to talk to their union/labour rep.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Ask if he voted for jagmeet

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Tell them to talk to their union/labour rep.

Trick question, nobody has ever talked to a union rep.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Trick question, nobody has ever talked to a union rep.

We actually use ours quite often. Our chain of command meets with them quarterly, and we've even had to use them for some disciplinary hearings. They're a great resource when they're actually utilized.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

We actually use ours quite often. Our chain of command meets with them quarterly, and we've even had to use them for some disciplinary hearings. They're a great resource when they're actually utilized.

I've never even seen my union rep and I'm confident in saying I've only heard their name once, long long ago. I believe you though, regarding them being good resources.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Ours has an open coffee ever few months (although I've never been to one). Search DWAN, they might be meeting and you're not even aware of it.

Man, that's what I hate about being a DND civilian. There's no orderly room, and there's virtually no guidance for figuring out stuff like insurance, retirement, pension, advancing your career, finding resources, etc. I didn't even know how to book leave or find my paycheque for months. You're totally on your own, or leaning on word-of-mouth to learn about anything.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ours has an open coffee ever few months (although I've never been to one). Search DWAN, they might be meeting and you're not even aware of it.

Man, that's what I hate about being a DND civilian. There's no orderly room, and there's virtually no guidance for figuring out stuff like insurance, retirement, pension, advancing your career, finding resources, etc. I didn't even know how to book leave or find my paycheque for months. You're totally on your own, or leaning on word-of-mouth to learn about anything.

Oh paycheque we got shown fairly early. Everything else has been asking older coworkers or figuring it out myself and then making sure I tell any of the newbies.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Did you folks(on the civvy side) get saddled with the paycheque eating flaming shithawk, or do you fall under the same pay system as the forces?

DND isn't unique in this regard. The agency I work for is very similar. Have to read the contract for yourself, and just start phoning everyone on the phone list asking how the gently caress do I get a uniform these days? Who is in charge of travel claims? Where am I scheduled to work next shift? Where the hell did my overtime pay disappear to? After more than a decade of being told I have to shave, would somebody please issue me the respirator you insist I maintain readiness to wear? Or actually fit test me?

Ooh sorry that got ranty.

poo poo sucks everywhere these days.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Civvies get phoenix

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Up to 27,000 federal public servants miss deadline to affirm they are COVID vaccinated

Apparently this is out of approximately 267,000 public servants, including RCMP (and I'm presuming CAF). I'm a little dubious about the reporting here though—I think these numbers are folks who completed the attestation, not those who attested to being vaccinated. In either case, I'm really interested in the breakdown of which departments had the most delinquency.

Considering that most of these folks are paid by Phoenix, I don't think they realize how big of a rod they're building for their own rear end. One of the big problems in 2016 was people who came back from LWOP/MATA/PATA didn't have their pay resume. That would be a pretty lovely thing to happen a month before Christmas.

vvv Edit: You've got two weeks from returning to get it done in Monitor Mass, I think. Either way, don't delay, reports are already going up to 1CAD. vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 2, 2021

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I was on leave last week and so i missed the deadline but im vaccinated

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

My Spirit Otter posted:

I was on leave last week and so i missed the deadline but im vaccinated

no no quick you gotta post again but use the word attest

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i attest that i was on leave last week and missed the deadline

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
reporting posts on somethingawful to the CAF and expecting to be taken seriously

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Heard from some buddies that soldiers are putting in for ED&T to dodge going down to the Armoury and making an attestation. I imagine a good percentage of the "missed deadline" numbers could potentially be from the reserves.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

reporting posts on somethingawful to the CAF and expecting to be taken seriously

they take it seriously! they're just too busy with all the sex assaulters

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

they take it seriously! they're just too busy with all the sex assaulters

You can't fool me, nobody's ever taken my posting seriously! :argh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Reservists gonna miss out on that sweet Nov 11 pay

For shame

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

thabk god for coronavirus, im over halfway through my contract and my parade boots have yet to be polished

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

army: more work on those uppers
air force: more work with these uppers

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Are units still doing mess dinners and Christmas parties?

Our base cancelled all Mess dinners last September when cases were surging, but it looks like Christmas Parties are still a thing? I've been dragging my heels on planning ours because I just assumed that it was/would be cancelled.

But I seem to be more germaphobic than most everyone else, so maybe I'm just in the minority.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

We had a 20-30 person small hand picked group last year. I was, of course, selected to attend on my day off in the middle of a move.

I keep getting emails about this years christmas party, but they go unread like all of my emails

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 7, 2023

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I just saw a Twitter ad for DND soliciting feedback on uniforms and kit from current Army pers

The links went to surveymonkey pages

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah that's pretty standard, and has been for a while

e: the surveymonkey thing I mean; fishing for engagement on twitter is a new one on me

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I should have submitted a response saying I thought the CADPAT boots were cool

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Explosion at CFB Comox: https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/breaking-explosion-at-19-wing-comox/

Edit: Ten injured, one airlifted to hospital
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cfb-explosion-reports-1.6253974

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 19, 2021

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A fire on a warship and a barracks explosion in the same day, Christ.

Rumour mill says ~10 injured, one seriously in Comox.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That's what the CBC article said. I can't really say more than the news.

What was the warship thing?

Edit: vvv Thanks. Guess I missed that because all my office windows are broken now :v:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 19, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

https://www.thestar.com/politics/2021/11/18/fire-breaks-out-on-canadian-warship-off-the-coast-of-norway-no-injuries-reported.html

quote:

Fire breaks out on Canadian warship off coast of Norway while leading NATO force

The cause of the blaze and extent of damage to the vessel wasn’t immediately clear, though the Canadian Joint Operations Command reported there were no injuries. The ship is docked in the Norwegian city of Trondheim for repairs.

The Canadian Joint Operations Command said the fire broke out in Fredericton’s engine room and was quickly extinguished by the crew.

“There were no injuries and the ship is now proceeding towards a Norwegian port to conduct repairs,” the command said. “The ship was assisted by several other NATO warships that were serving in Standing NATO Maritime Group 1, as well as the Norwegian Coast Guard.”

It added the ship is sailing under its own power and propulsion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Edit: vvv Thanks. Guess I missed that because all my office windows are broken now :v:

Christ. Hoping all of your guys are doing alright.

I think they started calling up 39 CBG for the floods too, on top of everything else.

What a day, eh?