Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Mental Health, Safety & Wellness Workplace Initiative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Wrasslin doesn't really have mascots so it's extra weird.

maybe Crabgrass world is still on WCW

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I keep seeing a gif of battling dinos.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! November 21, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True December 20, 1918

Gay and Her Gang December 17, 1929

Oaky Doaks May 20, 1936

Mopsy July 28, 1937

Up Front August 31, 1944

Dark Laughter July 16, 1949

Those Were the Days January 24, 1957

Wee Pals February 9, 1966

Dogbert August 4, 1966

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

That second panel. :allears:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

You had it right the first time!

Yeah, it felt like it was going to be one of those from about the middle of the week. Nearest mystery to this one I can find on the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia is "The Case of Black Jack's Treasure" which is another "Wilford Wiggins tries to scam kids" mystery. Problem is, that's in Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers, from 1990.

Can't seem to find a good match for the Stamps case. I recall someone suggesting a resolution similar to that of "The Case of the Stolen Confederate Stamps" but that one's from 2007.

I guess these are possibly originally from Sobol's Two Minute Mysteries books.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 3, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Bogor dies and goes to Heaven and he's like "Wait...there's no trees around for me to kill...oh god I'm in Hell!"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

There's a huge labor shortage right now partly because of poo poo like this. All her employees should always just quit, but now especially.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

If he ate that while he was a human, he should have chewed it.

If your kid is finally doing something you have allegedly been wanting them to do (like building independence or taking responsibility for their own problems, for example), how about not discouraging that growth by making sarcastic remarks about it?

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 3, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Twelve by Pies posted:

Bogor dies and goes to Heaven and he's like "Wait...there's no trees around for me to kill...oh god I'm in Hell!"
bogor's heaven is the seventh circle of hell, where those who died by suicides are turned into bleeding trees and nested in by harpies who break their limbs.

just casually whistling as he manages a growing forest of people screaming at god to forgive them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "356 - Jucika And The Absolute GentlemanCHAD"

"357 - Jucika And The Considerate Road Worker"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

Axa's doing a trial-run of the spray-on jumpsuits.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

For a second there I thought you'd forgotten to spoiler Axa ripping her shirt off in the fourth panel. I guess I've become accustomed to it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "356 - Jucika And The Absolute GentlemanCHAD"

"357 - Jucika And The Considerate Road Worker"

God, I love Juicka.

How many of my posts in this thread just say that?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 28, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 28, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 28, 1990)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looking at that sound effect I suspect the Garfield colorist came to work with a bit of a "not today" attitude this morning

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/3/01

Brenda Starr 7/10-12/47

Smokey Stover 4/2/44

(Socks with clocks are socks that have a pattern running up the side of the ankle/leg, generally considered fancier than plain old socks.)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 25, 1948)

This whole scene marks the beginning of the end for this storyline, but unfortunately it's pretty rough. You may notice I've censored a phrase in the second panel. If you're curious, the phrase is "white supermen." Oof.

As always, if anyone feels any part of this rises to needing to be under spoiler tags, please say so and I'll go back and make the appropriate edits.

edit: Here is the uncensored version of the first row of panels, if anyone wants it.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 4, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was gonna say that's probably the kind of phrase that sounded pretty innocent at the time, and I think it probably still was, but in 1948 I'd assume to a much lesser extent than say in the mid-30s.

From how the story has been set up its use seems definitely rooted much more in comparative levels of technology than any kind of inherent superiority. But yah, still. Phrasing, at the very least.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
In putting that phrase in the mouths of his Indian characters, I'd like to think Foster means that they're amazed by the Europeans' seemingly magical equipment and maybe the feat of having appeared out of nowhere from an endless ocean. I certainly hope it's not meant to be anything more than that! Unfortunately, this whole council scene is about Val and Aleta leaning into the belief that Aleta is a goddess (which is itself a pretty awkward plot detail, only made a tiny bit better by the fact that several European characters, including Val, have also assumed she has magical powers) to manipulate the Indians. This whole story has had its ups and downs but it's pretty much all awkward from here until they leave. :(

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I have a friend who, at least for a time, was writing math books, and would use her friends' names in word problems, so I'm probably in some math book somewhere.

Yes, I will sign it if you find it and bring it to me.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Wallace the Brave is so consistently great, I'm absolutely in love with it. It's for sure one of the strips I genuinely look forward to.

It's just so genuine and fun. Charming without being cloying.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Medenmath posted:

As always, if anyone feels any part of this rises to needing to be under spoiler tags, please say so and I'll go back and make the appropriate edits.

I appreciate your concern for everyone's emotional health, but I think marking up the comic itself is a bridge too far.

Just spoiler the comic if you think it's upsetting.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Weembles posted:

I appreciate your concern for everyone's emotional health, but I think marking up the comic itself is a bridge too far.

Just spoiler the comic if you think it's upsetting.

Here's a link to the uncensored version if you want it. :shrug:

edit: This phrase recurs once or twice, so I think when it comes up I'm going to censor the comic as I've done here but provide a link to the unaltered version as well, rather than put the whole thing behind spoiler tags.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 3, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I have a friend who, at least for a time, was writing math books, and would use her friends' names in word problems, so I'm probably in some math book somewhere.
Helen, Rosie, and Partario.

Weembles posted:

Yeah agreed, though if you feel you absolutely have to I'd personally prefer like you said instead of spoilering the whole thing. :)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I read ahead again to check and the phrase in question only recurs once, without the "white" qualifier, so I might just leave it uncensored after all. Sorry for the controversy I guess. I'll be glad when this storyline is done.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
But would Wallace throw eggs at Susie's house? I believe...

Anyway yeah Wallace the Brave is absolutely incredible. It's a shame that newspaper comics as an art form are dying because it, Crabgrass and Heathcliff are all gold. And Breaking Cat News is cute and comfy. And Arlo and Janis is great too. Also Rae the Doe. Tinkersons as well.

Okay so I guess there's a lot of incredibly great newspaper comic strips still around. I think I really do like Wallace the absolute best though.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace's teacher should've seen this one coming

god i love this strip

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

dismas posted:

Wallace's teacher should've seen this one coming

I like to think she does this kind of thing on purpose, to help keep the kids engaged.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Pretty sure that's already a real thing.

The Family Circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 3 – Daddy I ROMPED W/ BOB

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

John Allison posted:

FLASHBACK FLASHBACK FLASHBACK! Many candidates for today’s page title. “Pony Parpy” was a close second. Today, Maggie Warren is outed as a horsey child.

Today’s comic is a sentimental flashback to the era when British politicians used to have to resign for doing something wrong. These days of course, that is less of a concern.

Also, count me as one of the many who thought Maggie's hair was dyed that color.