Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yeah....you might be right. But then again....ND has snuck into the bottom twice in the previous three years and wasn't competitive.

It's 100% a legacy ranking. Alabama can claim a spot in the CFP by winning out. I can just see the CFP trying to justify a two-loss Alabama team in the playoffs over a one loss power five team because they played close with Georgia. Hope that Georgia wins decisively and it doesn't come to that.

Better yet, hope that Auburn Chaos takes them out beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bama isn’t making it in if they lose to Georgia in the SEC championship, no matter how close the loss is.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bama isn’t making it in if they lose to Georgia in the SEC championship, no matter how close the loss is.

mmmmmm i dunno about that

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

Just taking a moment to get some schadenfreude from PSU fans on a different site not understanding why a team that lost three in a row might be deemed unworthy of a ranking by the playoff committee.

Because it makes other things not make sense.

Iowa and Ohio State's best wins are to Penn State, so they get to hang their hat on...beating a not ranked team? So why is Ohio State ranked so high, from their fantastic body of losing to Oregon and beating not-good Penn State?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Alaois posted:

4-1 in the B1G, with such impressive wins as: Northwestern, Maryland, Nebraska and Purdue

Unfortunately to say....those are better wins than nearly any G5 teams can claim. Shutting out another power conference team in Colorado on their home field.....30-0.....a team that nearly beat Texas A&M the prior week also helps.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

Better yet, hope that Auburn Chaos takes them out beforehand.

That would be best case scenario.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My man let me tell you about “the eye test” criteria the committee uses

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Unfortunately to say....those are better wins than nearly any G5 teams can claim. Shutting out another power conference team in Colorado on their home field.....30-0.....a team that nearly beat Texas A&M the prior week also helps.

calling Colorado another power 5 team is incredibly generous lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

might as well brag about beating loving Vanderbilt are you kidding me

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

lol yep

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
In not Poll news toledo eastern Michigan just went to 28-24 after a kickoff run back

Not even half time

Edit: and it just started snowing

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 3, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Alaois posted:

calling Colorado another power 5 team is incredibly generous lmao

Maybe Texas A&M shouldn't be ranked. Needed a TD with less than three minutes to beat the team that the Gophers rolled over 30 - 0 the very next week.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Maybe Texas A&M shouldn't be ranked. Needed a TD with less than three minutes to beat the team that the Gophers rolled over 30 - 0 the very next week.

dog if you think appealing to my belief that The Texas A&M Aggies are a good football team is gonna change my mind that's not gonna work

just to be clear, the argument that you are making is that UTSA's slate of wins has nothing on the incredible win list of Miami of Ohio, Colorado, Purdue, Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern with loses to Ohio State and loving Bowling Green

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

vyst posted:

A 2 loss Bama isn’t going to make it in ahead of a 1 loss P5 champ and probably not ahead of a 1 loss P5 team in general. Maybe chaos happens and they make it, but if so it’s going to be like a 2007 situation where everyone loses to get them there.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Alaois posted:

dog if you think appealing to my belief that The Texas A&M Aggies are a good football team is gonna change my mind that's not gonna work

just to be clear, the argument that you are making is that UTSA's slate of wins has nothing on the incredible win list of Miami of Ohio, Colorado, Purdue, Nebraska, Maryland and Northwestern with loses to Ohio State and loving Bowling Green

Seems to me that you think a lot of teams shouldn't be ranked. And while I think it is ridiculous that UTSA is not ranked at 8-0.....yeah....if you are cracking jokes on Minnesota's wins and then bringing up UTSA's schedule where the best win they have is a seven point win against a 3-6 Illinois team that the Gophers are going to thrash on Saturday.....I'm not sure you have made any good points.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'm not 100% convinced there wasn't some OU/UO confusion somewhere in the process that led to Oregon at 4 but I'll take it. We already have to play UGA week 1 next season, might as well get a scrimmage in first.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Seems to me that you think a lot of teams shouldn't be ranked. And while I think it is ridiculous that UTSA is not ranked at 8-0.....yeah....if you are cracking jokes on Minnesota's wins and then bringing up UTSA's schedule where the best win they have is a seven point win against a 3-6 Illinois team that the Gophers are going to thrash on Saturday.....I'm not sure you have made any good points.

You’re arguing your point based on a common opponent you haven’t even played yet. You lost to Bowling Green, probably shouldn’t go penciling in guaranteed wins against anyone.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Toxx on it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

minnesota lost to Bowing Green and Illinois beat Penn State and you've already written them in the win column? lmao get out of my face

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sure. If Bama makes it in after losing to Georgia in the SEC championship I’ll donate 100 dollars to charity. Declan can pick the charity since he quoted me first.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Sash! posted:

Because it makes other things not make sense.

Iowa and Ohio State's best wins are to Penn State, so they get to hang their hat on...beating a not ranked team? So why is Ohio State ranked so high, from their fantastic body of losing to Oregon and beating not-good Penn State?

Ohio State's best win is Minnesota

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You’re arguing your point based on a common opponent you haven’t even played yet. You lost to Bowling Green, probably shouldn’t go penciling in guaranteed wins against anyone.

The Gophers had one score games against SD State and Georgia Southern....and a double overtime win against Fresno in the first three games of the 2019 season. They reached #8 in the CFP rankings after knocking off #4 PSU in week 8. Ended 11-2 on the year after a pretty dominant win over Auburn in the Outback Bowl. One of the main gripes with PJ Fleck and his staff here.....has been that they handcuff the offense and let inferior.....non conference opponents hang around. Gophers have gone 4-0 against Big Ten opponents since then. Completely man handling the previous two. Maryland happens to be over .500 as well. UTSA hasn't even played a team currently sitting with an over .500 record. And they are mostly C-USA teams.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Alaois posted:

minnesota lost to Bowing Green and Illinois beat Penn State and you've already written them in the win column? lmao get out of my face

Penn State was massively overrated and played a let down game. But keep telling me about UTSA and how they've looked good playing against teams.....none of whom are above .500.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

college football really is back

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Penn State was massively overrated and played a let down game. But keep telling me about UTSA and how they've looked good playing against teams.....none of whom are above .500.

I don’t really care about any of that, I just think it’s hilarious that you’re making a resume argument based on games that haven’t even happened yet and just assuming you’ll win them despite losing to a worse team already.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Maxwells Demon posted:

What the gently caress is Bama doing there or is this a legacy ranking recognizing their past decade?

"We're ranking Bama at 2 to reflect their tradition of dominance and status as last year's national champion. But we're ranking Cincy sixth because last year doesn't matter and we only base on this year's results."

Just some Jim Crow poo poo from the most Jim Crow of sports

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 3, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t really care about any of that, I just think it’s hilarious that you’re making a resume argument based on games that haven’t even happened yet and just assuming you’ll win them despite losing to a worse team already.

That's fair. My point was that this coaching staff plays horribly vanilla gameplans against OOC opponents they should thrash. It's an issue that they've had for a while now. The six games this year against power 5 opponents is how they play when the coaching staff doesn't handcuff the team.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

UTSA got shafted even harder then cinci. I'm not really worried about Oklahoma being 8. If they win out they're in and if they lose a game they don't really deserve it anyway.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

well they may not have beaten any teams above .500 but they've also not lost to a MAC team below .500 so lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Minnesota's resume: we lost to Ohio State but like, not by a lot.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Alaois posted:

well they may not have beaten any teams above .500 but they've also not lost to a MAC team below .500 so lmao

That's true. But Minnesota also has three or four better wins than UTSA's best win. So.....?

All in all.....the experts who put these rankings together know more than message board guy. #20 it is! And UTSA will have a big resume building game against.....UTEP. Hey. An above .500 C-USA team. Good opportunity there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That's true. But Minnesota also has three or four better wins than UTSA's best win.

who

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to be fair northwestern has a MAC win

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Purdue and Maryland for starters. Smacking down Colorado and Northwestern are also more impressive than anything UTSA has done. What.....seven point win over one of the two or three worst teams in the Big Ten? That's what you're going to hang your hat on. Don't make me laugh.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If any 2 loss team makes it in, they do.

I'd half bet they make it in over a 1 loss Cincy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Edward Mass posted:

CFP rankings

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Michigan State
4. Oregon
5. Ohio State
6. Cincinnati
7. Michigan
8. Oklahoma
9. Wake Forest
10. Notre Dame
11. Oklahoma State
12. Baylor
13. Auburn
14. Texas A&M
15. BYU
16. Ole Miss
17. Mississippi State
18. Kentucky
19. NC State
20. Minnesota
21. Wisconsin
22. Iowa
23. Fresno State
24. San Diego State
25. Pittsburgh

lol this has so many problems.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

imagine being smug about your signature wins being against a 5-3 Maryland and Purdue

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GD_American posted:

If any 2 loss team makes it in, they do.

I'd half bet they make it in over a 1 loss Cincy.

It’s possible, I just don’t think this is the year it happens because I think they will have 1 loss teams to choose from that are more palatable than putting in a 2 loss team ending a season on a loss and likely also creating an immediate rematch since I don’t see how you don’t have Georgia 1 and Bama 4 in that scenario.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Minnesota is just trying their own version of Northwestern's "lose to Akron but win the division" season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Minnesota is just trying their own version of Northwestern's "lose to Akron but win the division" season.

many have tried...