Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/edburmila/status/1448751245762703369?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

looking forward to EMP weapons becoming as common-place as videogames have made them seem for the last 20 years

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
EMP is a waste of useful chips. simply render its optics useless with a paintball then you can hogtie the robot and harvest it for graphics cards and high value screws

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

I think everyone would do well to study their bible, an eye for an eye is good guidance here

but also disable the robot and take its screws

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress the screws.

I call dibs on the gun.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

looking forward to EMP weapons becoming as common-place as videogames have made them seem for the last 20 years

is that a real tech that actually works? I've never been sure and kinda figured it was just movie bullshit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
knowing how the military works those things are probably as secure as a rideshare scooter. it's my dog now.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Look at all those screws :eyepop:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

camoseven posted:

is that a real tech that actually works? I've never been sure and kinda figured it was just movie bullshit

No. The only "reliable" way to generate an EMP pulse of any magnitude is with a nuke.

There are things that can generate smaller pulses, but nothing remotely portable even if you wanted it to only effect a very small area.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No. The only "reliable" way to generate an EMP pulse of any magnitude is with a nuke.

There are things that can generate smaller pulses, but nothing remotely portable even if you wanted it to only effect a very small area.

Yeah my understanding is that it's theoretically possible, but the amount of energy needed to affect even a small area is astronomically large, especially since there's a 1/distance^2 term in there

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
You could probably just spray insulation foam or black paint or something on its sensors to completely disable it. Or gunk up its servos with some sticky poo poo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

grate deceiver posted:

You could probably just spray insulation foam or black paint or something on its sensors to completely disable it. Or gunk up its servos with some sticky poo poo

Hell, even just sand. Nobody likes getting sand in their cracks. Salt water won't be good for those valuable screws either. This dog better stay away from the beach.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

grate deceiver posted:

...why not just shoot it with bullets?

These things provoke the strangest "one weird trick!" mentalities.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Run away until the battery dies. How much battery life can a thing like that have?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_5FU5ikcE

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mossyfisk posted:

I'm not a very good shot tbh

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

mossyfisk posted:

it's unlikely anyone even somewhat sane would expect a single bot to solo lockdown an entire city unless it's backed up by an artillery battery, so there will be someone or something else nearby, probably quite a few other robots and humans. armed robots are basically just disposable and highly-visible bodies to augment the base function of police presence or an occupying military force: to keep everyone perpetually terrorized with the constant threat of violent death if they fail to submit.

wielding a firearm or pointing it at something and especially actually firing it is a great way to draw attention to yourself. and assuming your shot hits and disables the robot, then you have to deal with the fact that once the meatcops/jarheads/etc decide that combat has been initiated they get a lot more triggerhappy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

camoseven posted:

it's movie bullshit but moreso it's prepper bullshit because they imagine that all the city slickers will be lost without their computer tech nonsense while the self reliant rural preppers will handle everything since they just need guns and old trucks and no electronics

it's been a motif in right wing prepper fiction for decades

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Run away until the battery dies. How much battery life can a thing like that have?

the military robots run on gasoline

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

mossyfisk posted:

It's fear. Like when someone is going on about how they'd be smarter than a horror film character. Fear.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah, a paintball gun or something like it would be good, it's silent and there's no muzzle flare either. gently caress up those optics good.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

mossyfisk posted:

because carrying around a gun with bullets makes me a combatant, carrying around a bucket of paint makes me a painter.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
yeah let me just carry my paintball gun and military tar and screwdrivers to the next street protest, so easy, the cops are gonna be so fuming mad when I take down their robot dogs with my superior knowledge of gun kata

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The perpetrator was carrying a concealed improvised mace type bludgeoning weapon modified with mid range blinding chemical weapon, the sentence is death

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I would simply gently caress the robot dog

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
at least I know where to get peanut butter at the next protest

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Let's just say that robo-buffy was a female AI and my techno-depravity knew no bounds.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Rockstar Massacre posted:

because carrying around a gun with bullets makes me a combatant, carrying around a bucket of paint makes me a painter.

This? Paint. Paint for my family.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

christmas boots posted:

Let's just say that robo-buffy was a female AI and my techno-depravity knew no bounds.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

camoseven posted:

nah, but you can make a directed microwave gun (relatively) easily

give the killbots havana syndrome lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

yeah let me just carry my paintball gun and military tar and screwdrivers to the next street protest, so easy, the cops are gonna be so fuming mad when I take down their robot dogs with my superior knowledge of gun kata

Shoot the paintballs from concealment. I could easily snipe dozens of drones with my Gamer aim.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FFT posted:

nah, but you can make a directed microwave gun (relatively) easily

give the killbots havana syndrome lmao

HERF can be defeated by a metal casing or by hardening the electronics.

I do recall a story of a russian plane whose flight electronics shut down when it got target-locked by one of the biiiig american naval radars, but the next generation of planes didn't do that and we're obsoleting the generation after that atm.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/aniceburrito/status/1455640290396606477

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
You won't be able to one weird trick the robot dog any more than you'd be able to own a platoon of cops or evade a kettling with your big dick.

Have normal power fantasies, like having a condom explode because of your huge dick

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

You won't be able to one weird trick the robot dog any more than you'd be able to own a platoon of cops or evade a kettling with your big dick.

Have normal power fantasies, like having a condom explode because of your huge dick

I would much rather fantasize about brutally owning fascist killer robot dogs and their pig masters. :thanks:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Biplane posted:

I would much rather fantasize about brutally owning fascist killer robot dogs and their pig masters using my big dick :thanks:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
when's the other shoe gonna drop irt facebook deleting its face tech?
is it just because theyre going to hire palantir or smth?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

tokin opposition posted:

I would debate the robot in the marketplace of ideas until it joined my side

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

cops and the state are bumbling idiots that can barely control a mob of raging trumpers. they will fold like a wet paper bag :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Rutibex posted:

cops and the state are bumbling idiots that can barely control a mob of raging trumpers. they will fold like a wet paper bag :colbert:

Why would they control their friends? They have guns, pepper spray, robots and the full support of the U.S. legal system. You have middling posts and the political opinions that make them mad.