Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah but kendall is right that she does have a guilty conscience — you can see it in how she got rattled, and you could see it in her one on one convo with logan this episode where she is clearly trying to hide she thinks her dad is a bad person who knows about all the bad poo poo

Oh, so you saw her leaving as more of admission then, that's really interesting!

And boy was that conversation awkward and manipulative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

i wish they dumped the whole season in one go , this is excruciating

hard disagree. letting an episode sit as i theorize what might happen next is great. and it also makes for better discussion here. hate the netflix model.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh, so you saw her leaving as more of admission then, that's really interesting!

something like an admission, yes, but also she knows kendall is full of sanctimonious poo poo and can't stand it

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

withak posted:

Roman's body language has been hitting it out of the park.

i read some commenter on some other site note how uncomfortable he looked when he met alone with logan (and logan called him a f-----t), and how this may imply some sort of abuse by logan or perhaps one of the higher up circles of abusers around him —— perhaps "mo" or one of the others sexually abused roman? thought this was perceptive and plausible

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I think this episode revealed to me was how the more tightly controlling Logan gets when he shouldn’t be, the more out of control a situation becomes, in one way or another.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

also shiv has the worst loving instincts, god she sucks at anything related to the business. maybe this was just bad luck, but she went out and knifed kendall in public which is going to be immediately overshadowed by the FBI raid. her big move is going to amount to nothing!

I loved Kendall’s transition to :smith: to poo poo eating grin. It was subtle but

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fucker posted:

hard disagree. letting an episode sit as i theorize what might happen next is great. and it also makes for better discussion here. hate the netflix model.

Binge model works for some shows but it absolutely wouldn’t for this one. There’s so much to unpack in every episode. This thread wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as it is if we were watching it all at once I think

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
My girlfriend read somewhere that you can tell what Ken’s mood is going to be based off his wardrobe, and it held true this time as well.

Basically the gist is;

Manic: monotone suits
Depressive: earth tones

That friggin jacket tipped the scene’s hand and made me admit that it could be a very good character read.

Edit:
Also, did they say if Tom was talking to Greg’s lawyer or not?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Robobot posted:

Edit:
Also, did they say if Tom was talking to Greg’s lawyer or not?

almost certain it was a different lawyer, the one he wanted greg to meet with — i don't think tom would be caught anywhere near greg's lawyer's office

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
went to check. gregs lawyer is pugh. the office tom called to is bergman + hendon + weiss and hes calling for hendon.

lolling as im rewatching the marxist lawyer scene.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

nooneofconsequence posted:

After making his pitch to Logan he quietly called a lawyer that his off-screen friend recommended. If he's looking to cooperate with the DoJ he's setting himself up well to be closer to Logan.

Oh I thought they meant he was recording someone.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
"like a combine harvester in a wheat field of dicks"

Tom continues to be adept at words, if nothing else.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

also shiv has the worst loving instincts, god she sucks at anything related to the business. maybe this was just bad luck, but she went out and knifed kendall in public which is going to be immediately overshadowed by the FBI raid. her big move is going to amount to nothing!
Worst part for her is Kendall was just about to meltdown spectacularly on tv and she bailed him out.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Neon Noodle posted:

Oof, a horrible snipe. I'll put this here too because it's good: https://www.thechatner.com/p/succession-of-dune

This is incredible.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i read some commenter on some other site note how uncomfortable he looked when he met alone with logan (and logan called him a f-----t), and how this may imply some sort of abuse by logan or perhaps one of the higher up circles of abusers around him —— perhaps "mo" or one of the others sexually abused roman? thought this was perceptive and plausible

Last season Logan struck Roman in the face, breaking a tooth, and Kendall's immediate reflexive protective reaction to that implied it's a pattern that's been repeated through their lives.

(Later in a car alone with Roman he makes reference to it -- Logan's reduced version of apologizing for a wrong is just to make reference to it -- and Roman is compelled to rewrite history for him, first that it was an accident, and then that it didn't even happen at all.)

Almost every interaction between Logan and Roman is bullying in some form.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

We also know from Connor that none of kids are reliable narrators of their own childhood abuses. Roman was holding a lot of resentment towards Ken that sounds like it should've been for his father.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I bet Ken’s fancy lawyer is going to regret representing him by season end.

Also lolled at Logan channeling Trump’s “ I WANT NOTHING, I WANT NOTHING” when meeting that White House rep

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

ken is in the best position going into ep4

you can pull off a "my family, in anticipation of an FBI raid, smeared me" narrative

much harder than "my brother/son, in response to being smeared, orchestrated an FBI raid"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I bet Ken’s fancy lawyer is going to regret representing him by season end.

Also lolled at Logan channeling Trump’s “ I WANT NOTHING, I WANT NOTHING” when meeting that White House rep

oh shes exasperated in this episode already

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

Last season Logan struck Roman in the face, breaking a tooth, and Kendall's immediate reflexive protective reaction to that implied it's a pattern that's been repeated through their lives.

(Later in a car alone with Roman he makes reference to it -- Logan's reduced version of apologizing for a wrong is just to make reference to it -- and Roman is compelled to rewrite history for him, first that it was an accident, and then that it didn't even happen at all.)

oh wow yeah i completely forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. i wonder how much history is there and if/when it will come up

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Shiv's brief vibe change when running into Kendall at that event was kind of scary, she seemed like a completely different person for a sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6mrUbWuOLc&t=35s

indiscriminately posted:

Apparently this part wasn't in the script!

quote:

Strong: "That just happened in a take, really. Brian [Cox] connected with Kieran [Culkin] and that was my response to it. I don't even think it was scripted, it was just a sudden thing in the way it would be with a sibling. To feel protective of your younger brother when there's a history of abuse in our family."

Strong [continued]: "My heart was racing ... that was real. What you saw was real. That's one of the most exciting things about the show is that we get to discover moments on camera within a take and then that's what the audience sees. It's a sort of dangerous and exciting way of working."

My boss also watches the show and pointed out the other day, we know almost nothing about Tom's background. Think it'll come up?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

if roman experienced the public humiliation that happens to ken on an almost episodic basis this would be a very different show

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

you just know after that tooth came loose he cranked one out on a lampshade or someone's toilet handle

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

parthenocarpy posted:

you just know after that tooth came loose he cranked one out on a lampshade or someone's toilet handle

At least once a day, I think about that scene where Roman says something like "Yeah, and I jerked off in Gerri's bathroom, it was her idea!" and everyone assumes it's just Rome making his usual dumb hosed-up jokes.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

wait. roman was held at gunpoint. thats way more hardcore than bailing out on a televised interview

LOGAN: You have doctors, blankets, whatever you need. Warm towels
ROMAN: Dad, look, I'm fine
LOGAN: Okay son. You'll stay and get better
ROMAN: No, dad, look. Look.
[CAMERA PANS TO MULTIPLE JEAN JIZZSTAINS]
LOGAN: Ah, yes. Well, lets see you off now

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Read After Burning posted:

At least once a day, I think about that scene where Roman says something like "Yeah, and I jerked off in Gerri's bathroom, it was her idea!" and everyone assumes it's just Rome making his usual dumb hosed-up jokes.
Him doing this is what made me suddenly fearful of how many jokes he makes that are actually true, which makes a rewatch all the more scary/necessary.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Bad week for Shiv's soul.

- Smears her brother (with facts, but mean ones) in an open letter
- Becomes the public face of Waystar's effort to downplay its murders, rapes
- Encourages her improbably loving husband to sacrifice himself for Logan's sins because that forwards her ambitions

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

indiscriminately posted:

- Encourages her improbably loving husband to sacrifice himself for Logan's sins because that forwards her ambitions

nonono, she DISCOURAGED him. DISCOURAGED. I mean, it would have been great if she encouraged him, but she didn't. That would be crazy.

Discouraged. Totally.

*stares into the middle distance*

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Vorgen posted:

nonono, she DISCOURAGED him. DISCOURAGED. I mean, it would have been great if she encouraged him, but she didn't. That would be crazy.

Discouraged. Totally.

*stares into the middle distance*

this conversation felt like a succession parody, it was so funny but also like cmon you cant be that obvious about it

i assume tom, even as dumb as he is, immediately saw through it because lmao and is "taking the fall" for logan to get close to him (though i wonder whether he planned that before or after shiv's "discouragement")

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

We also know from Shiv that Logan "beat Roman with a loving slipper 'til he cried for ordering lobster" once, and the way it comes up in the Season 2 premiere makes it sound like a very typical family incident.

e: I think she even says it in front of like, Gerri and Karl. He hits Roman, and everyone else in the family and company knows he does; it's just not clear to us as an audience how often he does.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 3, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm still wondering about the whole "did Logan/Kendall make Roman pretend to be a dog or not" thing. That whole thing (Roman confronting Kendall about it, then Roman confronting Connor, finally Kendall and Connor discussing it) was so strange.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Doing a season 1 rewatch and the scene where Logan just rips into him and he leaves the room oh and there’s Greg to be the punching bag for displaced anger. No one in that family is a reliable narrator thanks to the way memory and trauma interplay.

Also how did I forget about the family therapy episode. Masterpiece of an episode.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

My boss also watches the show and pointed out the other day, we know almost nothing about Tom's background. Think it'll come up?

I think in s1 it was mentioned that his mother is a big time judge or lawyer

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tom's jumping over to Team Kendall. So ready to see his marriage with Shiv implode into little pieces.

Also, did anyone else get the sense, during the bit where Tom and Kendall are having a bit of a faceoff in the company offices, that Tom was legitimately asking about DoJ immunity rather than just stunting and fronting?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I loved the scene with Shiv and Logan. She was so close to explaining to him (twice!) that, no, the situation is actually really hosed up and here’s why.

Greg jerking off the watch too. A land of contrasts

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

abraham linksys posted:

this conversation felt like a succession parody, it was so funny but also like cmon you cant be that obvious about it

i assume tom, even as dumb as he is, immediately saw through it because lmao and is "taking the fall" for logan to get close to him (though i wonder whether he planned that before or after shiv's "discouragement")
I honestly bet that Tom is way smarter than anyone gives him credit for, even despite his doofy dumb moments. We've seen how stupid he'll pretend to be just to get someone else to do something for him, he's probably the biggest "acts dumb to benefit himself" out of the entire cast. Which makes it all the funnier that he's consistently paired up with Greg, the most "is dumb to benefit himself" out of the entire cast.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

later in the episode tom is seen secretly talking to an attorney on the phone and if it was the waystar/roy's attorney he wouldn't be doing it secretly
so that's something
plus on one of the promo posters he's on kendall's side with greg the egg

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I'm still wondering about the whole "did Logan/Kendall make Roman pretend to be a dog or not" thing. That whole thing (Roman confronting Kendall about it, then Roman confronting Connor, finally Kendall and Connor discussing it) was so strange.

It happened. You;ll notice everyone says he liked it (clearly he didn't but they're all too self absorbed to admit he didn't)
But also it wasn't the deeply traumatic experience he's claiming it is, because while it was mean didn't they say they gave him real food and not actual dog food?
In true succession style everyone is lying to themselves.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

He made everyone pretend to be pigs! Remember Boar on the Floor?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I wish I could forget Boars on the Floor.

...although that's pretty strong evidence that Tom could weaponize. He would never reveal himself as one of the boars, but he could probably convince Greg to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Doctor Jeep posted:

later in the episode tom is seen secretly talking to an attorney on the phone and if it was the waystar/roy's attorney he wouldn't be doing it secretly
so that's something
plus on one of the promo posters he's on kendall's side with greg the egg
Yeah, that was my read. He was proposing the plan to see whether his wife and her dad would be willing to sacrifice him without a seconds hesitation if it helped their position, and they both failed that test badly. He's already admitted that he hates his wife this season. And thus, time for self-preservation for Tom is about to happen.