Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Because I'm trying to keep up with New Jersey results.

There are results being posted on places like nytimes.com if you want raw results without commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If my cousin's wife is the primary demographic for Youngkin's appeal(upper middle class, white, 2 kids) then he nailed it. Democrats have to start fulfilling promises. It's just basic human interaction 101, small promises fulfilled work better than promising big things and never doing them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

There are results being posted on places like nytimes.com if you want raw results without commentary.

All the sites I've been trying are pay blocked.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Peter Daou Zen posted:

If my cousin's wife is the primary demographic for Youngkin's appeal(upper middle class, white, 2 kids) then he nailed it. Democrats have to start fulfilling promises. It's just basic human interaction 101, small promises fulfilled work better than promising big things and never doing them.

There's an over estimation of what moderates would allow I believe. They're way more republican than the majority of the party and that rat fucks everything.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dave Wasserman currently saying VA has a tied house?

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455734418350514177?s=20

So that's uh, something?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1455735020614684672

All us Dems are going to get hooked on copium.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Flopsy posted:

All the sites I've been trying are pay blocked.

Virginia

New Jersey

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TulliusCicero posted:

Dave Wasserman currently saying VA has a tied house?

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1455734418350514177?s=20

So that's uh, something?

Oh wow. They seemed like they were going to get to 51 for sure. There's NO provisions for control in the event of a tie? I assume the Speaker breaks the tie, but if you can't elect a Speaker because there is a tie then, like, what the hell do you do?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Good news is I haven't vomited tonight so...there's that.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/11/02/us/elections/results-new-jersey.html

If its paywalled there are, uh, chrome plug ins for that.

Its currently 17k votes apart with 72% reporting, but every time more votes roll in the gap narrows. I might make :10bux: off of this, which is neat

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

Oh wow. They seemed like they were going to get to 51 for sure. There's NO provisions for control in the event of a tie? I assume the Speaker breaks the tie, but if you can't elect a Speaker because there is a tie then, like, what the hell do you do?

...Power sharing agreement?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The NY Times has been maddeningly quiet on NJ.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flopsy posted:

There's an over estimation of what moderates would allow I believe. They're way more republican than the majority of the party and that rat fucks everything.

America is so incredibly partisan right now, "moderates" have no place in the current system. We are way way past decorum. Democrats absolutely have to get rid of anchors like Sinema, Manchin, etc etc or this race in Virginia will be repeated.

My state, Michigan, votes for Governor next year. If Whitmer wants to win, she cannot coast on "Remember when Trump refused to call me by my name."

Trying to work with Republicans is a fools errand .

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Probably something extremely stupid like cut a deck and high card wins, and mysteriously the democrat will pull a 2

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

It's probably either going to be a coin flip or a civil war.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

America is so incredibly partisan right now, "moderates" have no place in the current system. We are way way past decorum. Democrats absolutely have to get rid of anchors like Sinema, Manchin, etc etc or this race in Virginia will be repeated.

My state, Michigan, votes for Governor next year. If Whitmer wants to win, she cannot coast on "Remember when Trump refused to call me by my name."

Trying to work with Republicans is a fools errand .

The problem is Whitmer got utterly loving clipped by our fuckwad GOP State Supreme Court last year, and COVID numbers shooting through the roof right now because the state government literally can't do poo poo, despite the lockdown being a massive success in making Michigan initially have some of the lowest numbers in the country.

Our loving Chud GOP Legislature rather kill their own constituents so they can blame Whitmer though.

I really wish the West coast of Michigan was a seperate state. Take Macomb county while you are at it: we don't want it

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 3, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Neither state has been called for the GOP yet so there's still hope, for all those who are stressed about it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

Neither state has been called for the GOP yet so there's still hope, for all those who are stressed about it.

Lmao if T-Mac ekes out the weakest victory ever

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The progressive mayor won in Boston :wrongcity: she'll probably disappoint me someday but I'll take this.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao if T-Mac ekes out the weakest victory ever

....what?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Isnt kinda deeply embarrassing that Murphy didn't just walk away with NJ already though? I recall hearing that after an early republican lead this would be a slam dunk by late night

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Peter Daou Zen posted:

if your cousin's wife voted for Youngkin, then she can go get hosed (by a transvaginal ultrasound, which, she apparently voted for!)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Isnt kinda deeply embarrassing that Murphy didn't just walk away with NJ already though? I recall hearing that after an early republican lead this would be a slam dunk by late night

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1455740106694922244

Not a slam dunk but not a loss. apparently.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

The progressive mayor won in Boston :wrongcity: she'll probably disappoint me someday but I'll take this.

My wife vaguely recalls her from her time at a Boston non-profit. She says she reminded her a lot of Ayanna Pressley, which is not a ringing endorsement. Progressive, sure, but in a very manufactured and focus tested way

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Flopsy posted:

....what?

Youngkin didn't win in a blowout or even a margin large enough to discount late votes. There remains a small chance McAuliffe comes back and wins through provisional and late arriving mail in ballots.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Flopsy posted:

....what?

Don't buy it. Looking at the votes yet to be counted and the margins, I don't see how its possible, which is why Better Dave called it hours ago. But its going to be very close. People who were talking about a 5% R win were pulling the trigger way early. Its going to be 2% max I think, and more likely less.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Flopsy posted:

....what?

I mean it still hasn't been called and apparently there's some missing mail in ballots/ data, anything is possible, but that lead seems rough to get over

Lmao if Dave Wasserman was wrong though: would make my night for the polling boys to be wrongo again

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Don't buy it. Looking at the votes yet to be counted and the margins, I don't see how its possible, which is why Better Dave called it hours ago. But its going to be very close. People who were talking about a 5% R win were pulling the trigger way early. Its going to be 2% max I think, and more likely less.

I guess this explains Wasserman thinking it's going to be a split House of Delegates?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

My wife vaguely recalls her from her time at a Boston non-profit. She says she reminded her a lot of Ayanna Pressley, which is not a ringing endorsement. Progressive, sure, but in a very manufactured and focus tested way

Oh absolutely. Wu is still a careerist. My expectation is some good stuff to make us a more modern city, hopefully better attempts to desegregate Boston, half assed police poo poo that will roll back at some point. We have a strong mayor so if she stays in we'll either become a progressive beacon or roadkill on someone's career path.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TulliusCicero posted:

The problem is Whitmer got utterly loving clipped by our fuckwad GOP State Supreme Court last year, and COVID numbers shooting through the roof right now because the state government literally can't do poo poo, despite the lockdown being a massive success in making Michigan initially have some of the lowest numbers in the country.

Our loving Chud GOP Legislature rather kill their own constituents so they can blame Whitmer though.

I really wish the West coast of Michigan was a seperate state. Take Macomb county while you are at it: we don't want it

Michigan is wild. It's conservative everywhere but the big cities. The West of Michigan, and the very north. . .Just crazy. Like cities are little fiefdoms with their own politics. Segregation.

With how many "pure moron" signs about Whitmer I see in the suburbs, I don't know how good of a chance she has if she's not taking notes about Virginia tonight.

SourKraut posted:

if your cousin's wife voted for Youngkin, then she can go get hosed (by a transvaginal ultrasound, which, she apparently voted for!)

People can vote for whomever they want, thank you!

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Imagine the "Stop the Steal!" conspiracies if McAuliffe won, though :shepface:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Interesting:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1455738208583667712

NPR current says that Rs are winning Bergen County by 5. But if Better Nate is right then the Dems are actually ahead. No wonder he's been behind all night in the official count.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh absolutely. Wu is still a careerist. My expectation is some good stuff to make us a more modern city, hopefully better attempts to desegregate Boston, half assed police poo poo that will roll back at some point. We have a strong mayor so if she stays in we'll either become a progressive beacon or roadkill on someone's career path.

Build more transit. Build more light rail capacity out to the commuter cities (where I live) and kick Charlie Baker in the dick repeatedly until he agrees to put more money into regional transit systems so the goddamn buses run after 7pm on weekdays. This is all I ask. I pledge my eternal allegiance to whoever gets me more buses and slightly more frequent trains.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm trying to look on the bright side to accommodate the electorally anxious among us. :shobon:

Contrary to forum sentiment I don't have a vested interest in the GOP winning.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Nix Panicus posted:

Poll average said that Murphy would win by 8, and the tweet box is currently saying he's on track to win by 5-6. His peak a month ago was 11, granted, but underperforming by 2-3 isn't that big an embarrassment, especially since NJ hasn't re-elected an incumbent Dem since the 70s.

Still, it is certainly proof that dissatisfied swayable sent a message to the Democrats at large today, which is that they're dissatisfied. The Nazi Squad also sent a message that the hope they'll not show up when their Fuhrer isn't on the ballot may not be holding as well as hoped.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Van Jones speaking truth about the downside of political echo chambers, because it insulates political folken against views beyond TRUMP BAD.

SourKraut posted:

:chloe:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Michigan is wild. It's conservative everywhere but the big cities. The West of Michigan, and the very north. . .Just crazy. Like cities are little fiefdoms with their own politics. Segregation.

With how many "pure moron" signs about Whitmer I see in the suburbs, I don't know how good of a chance she has if she's not taking notes about Virginia tonight.

People can vote for whomever they want, thank you!

Western Michigan is DeVos bought and payed for Psycho Prosperity Gospel Hell, but a lot of Northern Michigan and the UP is gettable if anyone in our party remotely gave a gently caress about them and their crippling poverty up there. Like just going to visit them on the campaign trail would send a nice message, rather than visiting "Redder than Trump's rear end" Macomb for the 50th loving time to no avail.

Like a lot of the Northerners just don't know about issues, need their guns up there to actually hunt and survive in the wilderness, and their only exposure is the rich conservative fucks who own lake Cabins/ mansions who spread COVID to them like crazy during the summers.

My heart goes out to the forgotten Yoopers :smith:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 3, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm trying to look on the bright side to accommodate the electorally anxious among us. :shobon:

Contrary to forum sentiment I don't have a vested interest in the GOP winning.

I invested a few bucks on predict-it so now I'm fully engaged.

I've seen articles that say mail in voting hasnt been fully counted in NJ, and nobody seems to know where or what proportion of mail ins are left outstanding so Murphy could actually be up thousands of mail in ballots right now. Is that cope or does that check with whatever you're reading beyond NYT?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

I've seen articles that say mail in voting hasnt been fully counted in NJ, and nobody seems to know where or what proportion of mail ins are left outstanding so Murphy could actually be up thousands of mail in ballots right now. Is that cope or does that check with whatever you're reading beyond NYT?

I have no idea wtf anymore, bc I'm just watching bullshit cable-news folks spin poo poo.

eta: It sure is cool watching people making millions a year puzzling over why voters are angry.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 3, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

Poll average said that Murphy would win by 8, and the tweet box is currently saying he's on track to win by 5-6. His peak a month ago was 11, granted, but underperforming by 2-3 isn't that big an embarrassment, especially since NJ hasn't re-elected an incumbent Dem since the 70s.

Still, it is certainly proof that dissatisfied swayable sent a message to the Democrats at large today, which is that they're dissatisfied. The Nazi Squad also sent a message that the hope they'll not show up when their Fuhrer isn't on the ballot may not be holding as well as hoped.

Eh

I think Dem turnout dropped due to loving stasis on the bills, the undecideds saw Dems weren't doing poo poo and split for the GOP, and the GOP got some better turnout than expected by going after the CRT boogieman.

I hate saying this, but the Karen Mom vote is going to be an issue in the suburbs going foward if you get another Gaffe machine like T-Mac, and possibly in general. The GOP has gone back to the old reactionary standard "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" which is cat nip for domineering parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

NJ is apparently incredibly slow to count and it does sound like the mail-ins are either not completely part of the count or may be completely uncounted.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1455740106694922244

Appropriate for the home of the Sopranos, I guess.