Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

We're back with an eye on the future with this one, Milan is a real gem of a midfielder and he'll server us well next season.

It's very hard to find good midfielders but Milan has a decent enough spread of mentals as well as just that bit of technical ability and the most important thing for this level, stamina

Iiiiits Alfreton, not much to do now but build team cohesion and try and smash some point records, probably start some youth, too.

We did well here, nice to see that the lads didn't enjoy too much champagne between the matches.

Next up is Telford

Bit of a crazy game here but I'll be brief, Oswell got a brace in 6 minutes for Telford which made the game seem rough but Hatfield quickly scored to cut down the deficit, then we equalised in the second half and the floodgates opened for Charman to get his own brace.

Late in the game I brought on Bigger, making him the youngest ever Darlington and Vanarama North player ever.

Let's hope we start off better versus Curzon than we did versus Telford.

Start better we did, the scoreline really flatters Curzon who were never really in the game to be honest, Bigger almost became the youngest goalscorer but his goal was ruled out by the evil refs.

What's next for Darlington?

Oh, just a cup final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What mod are you using to replace the default newgen faces? I'm sick of the oblivion npcs

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What mod are you using to replace the default newgen faces? I'm sick of the oblivion npcs

https://df11faces.com/Regens

it's this, it's not entirely perfect in that it dosent take stuff like skin colour into account and there's only a handful of south east asian faces but otherwise its really good.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Hatfield is really doing great despite not having eyes or any other sensory organs.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

It all comes down to this.

Fylde, last years winners versus Darlington, first time ever.

I'm pretty sure this is also the first time Darlington have even ever played at the new wembley.

Let's get started, shall we?

Good triumphs over evil once again! We played Fylde off the park and no one can deny that we deserve this double we've achieved this season.

Charman scored a penalty after Nicky Hunt was fouled on a corner attempt. Then Campbell did his trademark of cutting inside and smashing one in to really crush Fylde hearts.

Fylde fought back in the second half with an incredible goal but Nicky Hunt sealed the deal from another corner.

Football waits for no man however and now we're facing Chester, one half of one of the coolest derby's in all of football, the cross border derby with Wrexham, wonder if anyone ever played them in football manager?

Ugh, the less said about this one the better.

I'm glad those two actors bought Wrexham instead, bastards.

The good news is, we just signed Hatfield to a new two year contract, securing the spine of our team for next year.

Time for another no stakes derby with Gateshead.

well there was nothing to play for but pride but both teams valued the pride highly.

bit of a crazy game in the first half and in the second everyone was out of ideas.

here we are, last game of the season as our sun is about to set.

As with previous, result isn't important but it'll be a nice way to go out.

There it is, we draw to end the season despite Wheatley's incredible performance.

This update is pretty short in terms of content but I'm sure next time will more than make up for it.

And thank you all for joining me for chapter 1 of Darlington: The Revenge

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
:neckbeard:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

First piece of business, our stadium is getting a tidy new expansion because the vanarama national things Blackwell Meadows is a tiny bit too tinpot for it's standards.

I won't complain though, more fans in means more money which means I can afford to hire more journeymen.

Before we move forward, we should take a short look back.

No prizes for guessing this one, our top scorer was always likely to be Charman and he had a great season overall.

This one might shock some but do keep in mind he was on corners in a season where we were unbelievable from corners.

Nicky Hunt was our best overall performer which is just incredible for a 37 year old.

Now that we've gotten the typical out of the way.

It's time to get weird.

We just narrowly miss out on the yellow card trophy but we do come as solid runners up.

We rightfully DESTROY the competition for the goals from corners trophy.

We also had, the highest average possession, most goals, most shots, most shots on target and most crosses completed.

As a testament to our set piece dominance we conceded 0 goals from corners all season.

We get a brave bronze for our fouls made, good effort lads.

Oh and to go with our most shots and most shots on target we also conceded the most shots and most shots on target

And as we round up our statistical analysis.

Luke Charman remains top of the most fouls committed by a player table.

Legendary shithouser.

As for other individual player stats.

Alex Storey deserves credit for his 11 goals from centre back.

Hatfield also bagged 11, albeit from midfield.

Adam Campbell got 13 assists so he was only just edged out by big tony

Overall, a very successful season.

Now we need to look to the future.

First up we continue the slightly offscreen process of locking down our first team for next season. They might not be star men next season but we'll need depth and the cohesion they bring will be very important.

Plus, most of them are very cheap.

We've made a few new signings, first up we have brewitt here, a really well rounded defensive midfielder, he'll be taking over Atkinsons role of defensive midfielder to let the others bomb forward and get 11 goals exactly a season.

Next up is Aaron Jones, he's mostly here because of the simple reality that Tony McMahon is 36 years old and wing back is a murderous role even for young men, so he'll probably get a good raft of games.

He's a classic journeyman though.

Here are the five players leaving, they all played their parts in our promotion but football never stops and the churn must be appeased to continue.

And some more new signings to round us off for today

Noone here is a do it all winger or midfielder who will probably be an important rotation man all season long.

Garratt here will be our starting left back, nothing too special but no glaring flaws.

And fielding here will be joining the battle for centre back positions.

We still have 3k in the wage budget to play with as we enter pre season too, so maybe we can find a new star man in the meantime.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Releasing Dan Maguire? Unsubscribe

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
"So who did you sign for winger?"

"Oh, no one"

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

As Tukhachevsky celebrated with a small glass of wine in his office, he saw the orb appear before him again.

"You have done well Tukhachevsky" The orb buzzed.

"You have much further to go to earn your freedom though, the ritual is not yet complete"

And as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone.

The only thing left, football.

Chapter 2: New beginning.

We're right at the start of pre season and we've got most of our squad locked and loaded now it's just on to business as usual

Oh poo poo.

Oh fuuuuuuuuuck.

For those unfamiliar with football manager this is a very dangerous situation.

We have a few options, we can talk to Charman and try and convince him to stay but he won't because Accrington play two divisons above us and can pay signfiicantly more, his profile will be massively boosted as a player and he'd be mental to turn it down.

If we refuse the offer, Charman will kick off and destroy our locker room morale and he wouldn't really be the bad guy either, I imagine most of the lads would back him.

If we accept we have to somehow find a player of Charman's quality in the meantime in the window.

God I really should've kept Dan Maguire around for this sort of situation.

It should be said, it is alot of money for a club like us.

I'm going to try and get creative on this one.

First, we talk to Charman.

"Hey! What did you want to talk about?"

"I've been informed that there's been a bid from Accrington stanely and you want to move to them, is there any way I can convince you to stay?"

"I need to move to a better division boss, this isn't a chance I can turn down"

"I can understand that and I can see you've your heart set on the move, so as long as we can get a bid matching your value, you can go"

"That's fair enough boss"

They were initially as you saw offering 26k and some incentives but I managed to convince Charman he was worth 52k upfront, this gambit isn't about getting more money but convincing the player he is valuable and basically pricing out the club bidding for him.

We'll send back our counter offer and see if Accrington can afford it.

gently caress.

Ah but it can still fall apart in contract talks! There's still hope!

Either way, we need to be in the market for a striker now.

Football continues to march on and guess who scored in our friendly with ross county.

:smith:

The vultures are really swarming now, I guess we were a little too successful last season.

We're still gunning through pre season at a decent clip, good results and all but it's hard to find a replacement for Charman, maybe it'll be easier when we get the money.

This is where football manager really gets you, I could hit the cancel button and deal with the consequences but going with my head it's just not worth it.

The real tragedy is that he could've easily become our top scorer of all time, the tally isn't that high.

Goodbye, sweet prince.

It's not often you get to use this parting message but it's never been more true than right now.

o7

But, no player is bigger than the club, so we'll move on and find some new heroes.

We're still getting good results in our friendlies atleast.

We've signed a striker, he's no Charman but he could easily score enough goals for us to have a decent season and we aren't even paying him a wage so it's basically a zero risk signing.

I'm still searching for that new shining star though.

Oh and in World News

Ukraine??? won the loving euros.

Sadly my country didn't qualify for the euro's but don't worry, Gibraltar's day shall come.

We finally got our man, Ged here is a good, well rounded striker with a strong mentality and a proven record. Last season for Gateshead he got 15 goals so let's see what he can do in my system and with our wingers supplying him.

Next up is Hodnett who may be the sneakily best deal in here, he's a very good centre mid for us already with the potential to be almost league 1 level if he develops properly.

Not all bad.

A very frustrating result if you compare the number of goals to shots but pre season is mostly about fitness.

Our last friendly sees us defeat Barrow, so now it's onto the season proper, will we survive the loss of Charman or did he hold us all together?

The pre season prediction has us in a relegation battle but I have confidence we'll outperform those odds.

Oh and York were the fellow north team joining us this season while Ebbsfleet and Havant are the southern teams.

We kick off the season visiting Altrincham, I hope we get a decent result.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Luke Char Char Charman... :sadwave: :(:cry:

I wonder if the game simulates these two owning Wrexham.

https://youtu.be/HeBOdVdI0oc

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Tiger Crazy posted:

Luke Char Char Charman... :sadwave: :(:cry:

I wonder if the game simulates these two owning Wrexham.

https://youtu.be/HeBOdVdI0oc

it sure does!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I kind of wish they had bought the team during the Wrexham LP just to see how they would have affected the LP's writing

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Dreamsicle posted:

I kind of wish they had bought the team during the Wrexham LP just to see how they would have affected the LP's writing

personally, I choose to believe they read the wrexham LP and that is their actual motivation behind buying the club.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

having survived a sugar daddy buying a LLM club it actually kinda sucks because unless you're way higher rep than your club they tend to just fire you and bring in a manager who just got fired from 2 levels up instead

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*crying into my toilet paper*

Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha-Charman... :cry:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

There's a Char-maaaann waiting in the sky
He's moved to loving Wigan and he's eating all their pies

e: Oh, he went to Accrington actually, didn't he? gently caress it, don't let the truth get in the way of a good song.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 3, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

There's a Char-maaaann waiting in the sky
He's moved to loving Wigan and he's eating all their pies

:negative:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Who are they

to steal our shining Char? :argh:

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Looking forward to singing Quattro Bajeena in the transfer window.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

It's gonna be so sweet in two seasons when we're playing in a higher league than Accrington and we can buy Charman back from them

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Here are our expectations for the season.

Yes, it really does say battle bravely against relegation

Right, now here we go again, new season, new players.

Here's how we line up today.

Ged!

What a debut!

What else is there even to say?

Next up is Crawley, we might be able to string together an early run this season which would be nice.

An absolute dagger in this one, Ged had an all conquering performance but it wasn't enough to prevent Crawleys last second equaliser.

Bastards.

Hartlepool are a club very close to my heart but there won't be any love lost when we face them.

Hartlepool are Darlington's biggest rivals by far so this one should be very spicy indeed.

:stare: :eyepop:

Yes you are reading that correctly, an absolutely insane game.

I don't know how but Ged just keeps scoring, he also got an assist in this game

Going forward we look amazing, probably because we're so low rated by the game that we get to abuse people on the counter.

But god I am so glad I subbed on Hatfield, he really is still a match winner in his own right.

Next up is... york :mad:

We better beat these bastards.

A very poor day at the office, very uncharacteristic in general.

Lots of individual errors really cost us, it's gona be a long season if we keep this up.

The games are coming thick and fast as we head down to stockport, we really need a convincing performance here.

This is all getting a bit worrying, we're getting results but largely through Ged! and his ability to score whatever chances he gets in a game.

Even then the games are all very tight, I'm hoping we can find some new free agents to give us some help but it's very hard to find quality.

Last game for today's update.

They've had a torrid time this season so this would be a great chance to actually stamp our authority on a game and look dominant

loving hell we really just can't make it easy on ourselves can we?

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
:prepop:

7 goals in the first half for that Hartlepool game.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ged gud, scrubs

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
WHAT DOES EVERYBODY WANT

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 4, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

karmicknight posted:

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY WANT

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY NEED

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY LOVE

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:gedin:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tiger Crazy posted:

:prepop:

7 goals in the first half for that Hartlepool game.

That would have been a great game to watch.

The vanorama national is an insanely hard league (see one the big FM streamers getting stuck in the vanorama national for 7 years), particularly now that you cannot just hire random lower league dudes from the EU, so this is actually a pretty great start for a team imho. You can build off this.

How is your loan situation?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 4, 2021

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

How is your loan situation?

it's difficult, we're still not good enough to get really good loanees yet because our reputation is basically still vanarama north tier so I'm still relying on just trialing every person in the country.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Next game is versus Wrexham, one of the oldest football clubs in the world which also happens to be owned by Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney after a very weird takeover.

They're another team gunning for the playoffs currently so hopefully we can get a good result.

A draw is probably a far result, our players are starting to feel the effects of fatigue.

Next up is high flying Eastleigh, I simply choose not to get my hopes up.

Well, Darlington is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gona get.

It was a fantastic performance and should've been a cricket score in truth, Ged missed a bagfull of chances but we got the result, that's all that matters.

Next up is Aldershot and in theory this should be the type of game we dominate but we do tend to fail to live up to the expectations at times.

Sadly yet another example of us being our own worst enemy although their penalty was VERY suspect so maybe we were just hard done by.

Next up is another struggler who we've struggled versus so far this season, so hopefully we can fix our problems with them.

We get a good result versus a bottom half team for once with Ged leading the way once again.

We round out today by playing our third relegation battler and with the possibility of calling this a good run of form if we get a result.

A real nice performance, we did everything needed to win and didn't succumb to our usual daft mistakes.

Dare I say are we becoming the darlington of last season?

We're firmly in the playoff hunt and if we go on a run we could enter that automatic promotion race potentially however it's just as tight below as it is above, so we need consistency to stay where we are at a minimum.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
HOW DARE YOU HURT MY PRECIOUS! Seven yellow cards and a 4th minute of stoppage time equalizer! Bullshit!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Next up is Dover who are almost perfectly mid table but not quite, let's see if we can keep our run going.

A very dominant performance from the lads.

Jones may seem like a strange name so let's introduce him.

A very solid centre back for this level that I initially signed for some depth but has managed to sneak into the starting 11 for a few of the last games, we'll see how he performs.

Next up will be Sutton who have the hilariously named Harry Beautyman

They're in 7th so we can't spend too much laughing at their funnily named players

A really frustrating scrappy game where we couldn't finish the few chances we got, just for sutton to score an absolute worldie and snatch the points from us.

Oh well

Next up is Chesterfield who genuinely shocked me with their presence in the national league, seeing as they were perennial league 1 and 2 for what felt like forever.

another very frustrating game from us here, we're just not creating enough.

atleast SOMEONE is scoring some goals.

Next up is Solihull moors and for an idea of how hosed this league currently is

3 points separate 5th aka us from Torquay in 1st, so anything can still happen but we need a result.

We finally get a reward for our performances as Ged! leads the way once again.

Now we just need to find that consistency.

Next up is Boreham Wood who are juuust below us in the table tied for us on points and only our goal difference propping us up.

We're only two points behind Torquay who are top, so we just need to keep plugging away.

A good win, Storey's sending off was for a hilarious handball in the box that stopped a goal, so the penalty came from there.

We're up to second but Torquay remain ahead of us, still plenty to play though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Those are some good results from a tough run of games

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
In Ged we trust.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
WHAT DOES EVERYBODY WANT?

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY NEED??

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY LOVE???

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

there's an ArmaGEDdon reference to be made in there somewhere but I'm too sober to spot it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

karmicknight posted:

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY WANT?

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY NEED??

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY LOVE???

:hmmyes:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Next up is versus Havant and Waterlooville (lol)

They're a mid table team who are probably overachieving at that rate, so it'll be an intriguing contest.

A real frustrating finish to this game. We dominated throughout but it's that old cliche that if you don't take your chances you'll be punished and it's happened here with Havant getting a late, late equaliser.

Can't grieve for too long but next up is Barnet who are relegation strugglers we should be beating, so let's hope we can get a good result!

Well that will lift things for sure, Ged! is our hero once again as we get back on track.

Now we get to face Scunthorpe, the unanimous winners of the "places I do not want to go" sweepstakes that took place only in my own brain.

It should be noted we are rotating pretty heavily now because the games just do not stop coming, fatigue is building up.

Seems like the Scunthorpe defence was so obsessed with stopping Ged! they forgot to mark Campbell and Gilliam who ripped them to shreds.

Credit to Gilliam by the way, who was initially only striker cover for Ged but has actually spent the entire season fighting hard for his place.

Kings Lynn are rooted to the bottom of the table and are in miserable form with only 8 points from 20 games.

We can't get complacent surely but... Lads, it's King's Lynn.

:wtc:

:brexit:

I think I'm gona take Wheatley off pens...

One more game so I can forget about that debacle, we're facing Yeovil who are a mid table side so here's hoping we can get a reaction because.. loving hell.

Almost a similar story but this time Ged came off the bench to play the role of superman.

The league table looks like this, do keep in mind the games played compared to the points, since lots of teams have different schedules.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
oh look, the top team is two games behind the pack on the table. that's not a worrying sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

karmicknight posted:

oh look, the top team is two games behind the pack on the table. that's not a worrying sign.
I think the board of directors were looking for "Just don't get relegated" at the beginning of the season. Staying in the playoff hunt is exceeding expectations. Automatic promotion would be above the moon.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 7, 2021