Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't realise actibliz owned candy crush and did a double take there but in hindsight it makes perfect sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It's Activision Blizzard King (as in the devs of Candy Crush)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

today I learned with the mature chat filter on, you are still censored when you say the word "honky" even though I have never seen it filter anything before on mature settings since I started playing, including a wide variety of epithets and slurs

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
So back when OW2 was announced I can vaguely remember something along the lines that OW2 would be free for PvP but you'd have to pay for the PvE aspects. Is that still the case?

Also, will OW2 'upgrade' over OW1? i.e. Overwatch as we know it will be changed to 5v5 whenever OW2 eventually comes out, and Overwatch as we know it will no longer be playable?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Crimson Chin posted:

So back when OW2 was announced I can vaguely remember something along the lines that OW2 would be free for PvP but you'd have to pay for the PvE aspects. Is that still the case?
It's widely assumed that the PvP will go free-to-play with OW2, but at the very least OW2 PvP will be free if you own OW1, because....

Crimson Chin posted:

Also, will OW2 'upgrade' over OW1? i.e. Overwatch as we know it will be changed to 5v5 whenever OW2 eventually comes out, and Overwatch as we know it will no longer be playable?

...this is happening, yes. OW1 will basically cease to exist.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly a bold move to make your current gamers decide what game they want to move to (OW2 or anything else) rather than maintaining where they're at in the midst of what seems to be the biggest exodus the company has ever faced.

loving Blizz, lmaooooo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's also really weird because I haven't seen anyone excited about Overwatch 2 or the changes coming that will basically make Overwatch as we know it cease to exist. It's been over five years and nobody is asking for what's been announced from what I understand.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would have liked some more PvE content, but honestly they could have kept me completely appeased just by turning out Archives missions and tweaking the seasonal game modes rather than a whole separate installment.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's also really weird because I haven't seen anyone excited about Overwatch 2 or the changes coming that will basically make Overwatch as we know it cease to exist. It's been over five years and nobody is asking for what's been announced from what I understand.

People liked Overwatch when it launched for the cool cinematics, the neat artstyle, the varied characters, and the interesting plot.

So naturally they stopped doing all that and went full hog into e-sports for some reason.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm still of the opinion that they went "gently caress, we can't stop goats, lets do 5v5" three years ago and never moved on.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

dogstile posted:

I'm still of the opinion that they went "gently caress, we can't stop goats, lets do 5v5" three years ago and never moved on.

and then the Dragons used a weirdo comp to beat GOATS lol

broadly the OW team made two inexplicable decisions:

1. completely stopped new hero/map releases with the exception of Echo and a few deathmatch maps no one cares about. Hero releases in particular keep a game hyped up, let content creators cook, provide interesting storylines to the pro leagues, etc. It'd be one thing if they were like "we're not gonna release new heroes until OW2 comes out, in [definitely locked-down date]" but they're basically asking folks to trust that the drought will end at some point.

2. "hey, our fanbase has a huge percentage of casual folks who love it for the lore. let's release a short story or whatever every five months and have OW1 end with the story at the 'Overwatch is getting back together maybe???' stage"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Have they even announced any new heroes that will be in OW2? Maybe there was that one lady?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think the bigger problem is that nobody gives a poo poo about what new heroes there are, which is incredibly telling.

I haven't met a single person who's hyped for OW2, its all just "lol blizz" or "it could be cool but lolblizz".

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Why didn't they just embrace the broad hero pool and we dont have 50 choices by this point.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's because they burned all their goodwill by putting the game on life support, and nothing about OW2 has been actually exciting enough that it seems worth it in retrospect.

I like OW, I'm still looking forward to OW2, but right now I'm trying to work out if there's a similar, actually alive game I could play in the meantime. The alternatives look too hardcore for me :smith:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

megane posted:

Have they even announced any new heroes that will be in OW2? Maybe there was that one lady?

Sojourn is the only one confirmed

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

There's almost certainly going to be a female hero with a fox/kitsune theme as well, it was heavily foreshadowed by lore surrounding and elements within the Kanezaka map.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah and Mauga probably too, he was supposed to be Sigma but they didn't think his kit fit him

but really this just kinda goes back to how new hero releases got everyone really excited and hyped and now, incredibly, they've dampened it to the point where no one cares. maybe they get that back when OW2 releases and starts pumping out heroes but I dunno

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

There are lots of legacy or stale games that I like. I don't need a flood of content and changes, I just want the gameplay and level of competition to be on point. There is something to be said for the stability of an old game. I probably wouldn't stop occasionally playing OW if they just left it in the same type of mode as starcraft or diablo 2. The OW2 push just seems like grasping at air.

That said, I don't mind paying them another $50 for a game that has entertained me consistently through 5-6 years. I just wish they didn't have to go back to ground with the gameplay and balance.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I wonder if they'll have a 6v6 OW1 balance arcade mode

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I was the kind of person who really wanted a PVE mode for Overwatch. Not just because I'm a casual and a content creator (I draw fanart), but because I got tired of the loving toxicity. Go to quickplay? Your teammates are playing with no hands. Go to comp? Every match takes 20 minutes of being trapped with the guy who said "GRIL?" into the mic as soon as you spoke up, and they're like "uhh (character you actually like) isn't working can you switch to Mercy" when you were here to practice that character in an environment where your teammates don't have their thumbs up their rear end and you can't just say no or your teammates get pissed and blame you for not being a good little healbot.

I felt like there was no medium state between "people playing like it's Deathmatch who have no idea of the concept of "group up"" and "people who are super serious and sweating out of every pore" and if you tried to play with the latter you'd get told to kill yourself for letting the Genji die and if you played with the former you'd want to kill yourself anyway after the Genji runs, for the tenth time, alone, into the enemy team that is inexplicably playing like it's comp and you really wish you'd just gotten grouped with that team instead.

And the matchmaking where they aimed to make every other game a loss just kind of wound up meaning that I felt like I ate poo poo every other match because my teammates were disorganized and wanting to be solo heroes, not because of any "oh drat they really did a good job breaking our formation wow gg good job guys that was truly a hard fought battle".

Then the GOATS thing was the cherry on top. Yes I truly want to be stunned by Brigitte for 500 years while my teammates do nothing about it.

The PVE modes ended up being like, at least I can play the characters I'm interested in, get the skins I'm interested in, and my teammates at least vaguely have some coordination without me needing to be on mic risking being harassed for my voice.

But I just feel no interest in it because I feel like it'll be the same as the other poo poo they've done: flashbacks and vague character vignettes where the characters say snappy one liners, because they're terrified of progressing the plot in any way or building meaningful relationships with characters that aren't in easily-missable out-of-game content. (Ask the average player if they know S76 is gay.) If there was a huge overarching plot and they had characters actually legitimately interact with each other and canonize McHanzo or Hole or whatever it's called now instead of the coward-rear end "we assure you something is going to happen! we're not gonna go into what it is! but it'll happen! eventually!" poo poo Michael Chu is addicted to, I'd consider coming back.

Here's a piece of fanart I did in 2017 that I'm still pretty happy with. :toot:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I too was looking forward to PvE. I have a friend who used to play TF2 with me all the time, but OW's 6v6 is a smaller scale fight than the 12v12 or 16v16 TF2 servers, where he likes to be a small cog in a big machine, so he stayed away from OW.

Having a whole campaign with tech-trees and a story where we can bot-stomp would allow me to share some of what I love about OW with him, without it being a miserable experience.

As it stands, the most joy I currently get out of OW is seeing if I can turn a toxic game around using my Meatwad impression over coms. (I used my free name change to change to "CoachMeatwad"). I'm happy to report, it works about 2/3rds of the time if a game is going south.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At this point I figure they're just dragging things out so they can quietly cancel OV2 in a year or two

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Dodgeball posted:

As it stands, the most joy I currently get out of OW is seeing if I can turn a toxic game around using my Meatwad impression over coms. (I used my free name change to change to "CoachMeatwad"). I'm happy to report, it works about 2/3rds of the time if a game is going south.

I quit OVW some time ago but this is my current strategy in versus games. I use "ask me for bug facts" as a username and it really seems to defray tensions.

I would definitely be more willing to talk over mic if Meatwad was on comms.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I am also quite fond of wrangling toxic teams but I'm aware that the game would be much more broadly appealing if that was unnecessary because people as a whole decided to play the game for fun. At least where I am at silver rank where angry teammates are more sad than annoying. Tbf the only thing greater is running into a whole team full of people loving around and having fun and winning as a result because it's silver and we are all trash on both sides.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Getting into a random game with matt mercer shot calling on lucio made all of the other voice comms worthwhile

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Crimson Chin posted:

Is that still the case?

all we know currently about ow2 is that it's never going to come out

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My strategy for toxic teammates was to ask what everyone’s favorite pie is. That usually took people by surprise enough for them to pause and then get into a discussion about pie.

Pie is great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Billy Jo Robidoux posted:

Why didn't they just embrace the broad hero pool and we dont have 50 choices by this point.
Esports.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
OW2 died so this thread could live.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How many heroes does LoL have? Or maybe more relevantly, siege?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I mean, forcing something that nobody wants seems to be the culture at Activision Blizzard so I guess we shouldn't be surprised about Overwatch 2.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

My strategy for toxic teammates was to ask what everyone’s favorite pie is. That usually took people by surprise enough for them to pause and then get into a discussion about pie.

Pie is great.

My favorite pie is pumpkin. What's yours?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

How many heroes does LoL have? Or maybe more relevantly, siege?
I haven't played either, but presumably more. From what I understand of LOL though, each character has roughly the same number of abilities as an overwatch character but there isn't really the FPS element that provides 3d movement or huge variation in character impact based on head clicking ability. I'm sure there are other mechanical skill impacts, but that does seem (from the outside) that it makes balancing characters easier. Hitboxes would presumably be much less impactful. As for siege, also from the POV of someone who doesn't play it: they all seem like they are designed around having a gun and a single relatively grounded ability. You're not trying to work around a flying character devoted to healing and a guy with a giant hammer and shield and someone with a flying rocket launcher fighting a ninja and a hamsterball grappling gun platform and...yeah. maybe I'm wrong but every siege character looks like they play roughly the same. They're certainly all playing FPS games. I can't really say the same about overwatch.

You could do more characters but balancing them for both an esports and casual field while having the variety of LoL characters and the FPS involvement of siege seems like it was a lot more than they could handle. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they hadn't tried so so hard to make it THE esport they might have been able to bring out characters a bit faster.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Blizzard sucks and every game they make in the future is going to suck too. I was excited about OW2 like a year or more ago and every subsequent development since then has lessened my interest more and more.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My favorite pie is pumpkin. What's yours?

My wife makes a real nice mulberry pie with fancy topping cream for Thanksgiving. That pie is my favorite pie.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

My wife makes a real nice mulberry pie with fancy topping cream for Thanksgiving. That pie is my favorite pie.

That sounds delicious.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Jesus wtf happened to Blizzard? They’re a storied development studio whose every game is highly anticipated and an instant classic. Like, every game they make has been GOTY. Now OW2 looks like it’s going to be a disaster, and it seems very out of character for Blizzard.

Is this a result of the Activision merger? Or are they just way behind the times?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I'm not an expert, but it seems like they alienated everyone with bad employment practices, bad pay, bad leadership, scandals, and all the creative talent is gone. It's hard to say how much the merger impacted the trajectory, but it definitely didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tiny Myers posted:

I quit OVW some time ago but this is my current strategy in versus games. I use "ask me for bug facts" as a username and it really seems to defray tensions.

I would definitely be more willing to talk over mic if Meatwad was on comms.

I did this for a bit, with some success, as Former Governor of Minnesota and BUDS/Navy SEaL Jesse Ventura. But it also helped me realize I am old and most people had no idea wtf -_-