Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

andyf posted:

put a ton of controls behind a stupid slow unresponsive touchscreen

Yeah. it can't ever be this. As soon as you notice a touchscreen... it s no good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Being best at marketing doesn't mean you make the best product, or even a good product.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I agree. But look at the tesla charging infrastructure and tell me what you think

they invested in infrastructure! imagine a society that does that!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I agree. But look at the tesla charging infrastructure and tell me what you think

What do I think about a closed access charging network that relies on carbon producing fossil fuels to operate? I think it helps sell the illusion that Tesla owners are in some way ecological while cementing Tesla's monopoly.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

they invested in infrastructure! imagine a society that does that!

Imagine a world where Tesla paid their taxes, and society was able to use that tax money to invest in infrastructure?

The sunk cost fallacy is strong in you....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 3, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol tesla paying teir taxes is the difference between good and bad? Do they pay less tax than anyone else? I imagine as an actual product producer they probably pay tax a bit? Dunno

Well if you believe that every electric car is a waste of time because they've transferred their energy generation to fossil fuels elsewhere then OK, but I disagree.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

the same could be said of all capitalists

But enough talk! HAVE AT YOU!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

What do I think about a closed access charging network

AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wait, is that Devon? Is this because of those stupid terves who tried to trick them by asking the bathroom question?

He's really willing to libel himself into the gutter over a trick question?

E: oh, it is:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1455622491859267585?t=XdP_Jdoj93NGlz-U6L0FQA&s=19

It's not even a gotcha question because it specifically says communal changing room in the question and then the absolutely derranged blog reply assumes they're talking about women's changing rooms.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 3, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And it was cooked up by people who presumably want teenage trans girls to be forced to use men's changing facilities, so it's a bad question all the way down, starting with the assumption that 'male-sexed people' and 'teenage girls' are two mutually exclusive categories and ending with the BBC inviting some cis women who absolutely shouldn't be allowed near teen girls unsupervised in to give their cool thoughts on things.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I know this is UKMT & the most easily trolled thread in the world but the Tesla defender is clearly doing a bit, stop biting every loving time.

Stick him on mute if you have no self-restraint

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

All UKMT posters were fish in past lives, completely unable to resist bait.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I assure you pretty much everything I say about teslas is true. But yes, this thread don't need to be all about that.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Looke posted:

Aberdeen must have been loving awful then

I can confirm this.

(I lived in Aberdeen for the first 27 years of my life ama)

There was a good article in the Guardian this week about how dependant on oil the place is. Even just the drop in the barrel price in the last 10 years has wrecked the place. When I went back last year it looked pretty grim compared to the 90s.
gently caress knows what it will look like once the 40% of oil dependant jobs vanish. Sure, the council and local oil barons are making noises about green jobs, but I have no confidence in either of them.
I guess the fact that the main pastime in Aberdeen was always shopping means that it also gets totally slammed by the shrivelling of high street retail.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Please don't start another derail of letting everyone know how much of an idiot and Elonstan you are.

Muskrat, IMO.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Unsurprisingly, the Tories are planning to try to prevent Owen Paterson getting suspended for being corrupt:

quote:

Allies of a Conservative MP found to have breached Commons lobbying rules will attempt later to stop him being suspended from Parliament.
The MPs' watchdog has recommended that Owen Paterson be suspended for 30 days for an "egregious" breach of rules banning paid advocacy.

MPs will vote on Wednesday on whether to endorse a recommendation from the Commons Standards Committee that he be suspended for 30 sitting days.
A suspension of this length would automatically trigger a recall petition, which could lead to a by-election if 10% of eligible voters in Mr Paterson's constituency sign the petition.

Votes to suspend MPs are normally approved without incident, and proposals to amend a proposed sanction are historically rare.

Things like this are why I don't call them the Conservatives any more - because their reverence for tradition and precedent gets thrown right in the bin as soon as tradition and precedent starts to have a negative impact on them.
It also makes it pretty clear how many other MPs are doing exactly the same thing as Paterson but just haven't been caught yet.
And yeah, of course that ghoul Leadsom would be involved somewhere.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Tesla made the killer app of electric cars.

In that the cars keep trying to kill people, sure

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Question IRL posted:

I see that this threads favorite Billionaire was in the news yesterday.

For those who hadn't seen it, this is basically it.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1455182049552314378?s=20

My response: WHY DON'T YOU PUT THE WHOLE WORLD IN AN EXPLODING CAR, ELON?

Nobody ever said 6 billion would cure world hunger, that's just Musk strawmanning the original argument and nobody nails him to the wall over it in the media. I read the original argument and it was about saving the 42 million people who are absolutely worst off.

So it's a total fabrication by Musk that anyone claimed 6 billion would solve world hunger, since there are a lot more than 42 million going hungry.

edit:
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/01/business/elon-musk-tesla-stock-world-hunger/index.html

quote:

"Elon Musk has offered to sell some of his Tesla (TSLA) stock "right now" if the UN can prove that $6 billion will solve world hunger.

His comments came after UN World Food Programme (WFP) director David Beasley challenged the ultra-wealthy — and in particular the world's two richest men Jeff Bezos and Musk — to "step up now, on a one-time basis" to help solve world hunger in an interview with CNN last week.

"$6 billion to help 42 million people that are literally going to die if we don't reach them. It's not complicated," Beasley said on CNN's Connect the World program with Becky Anderson. That sum would equate to roughly 2% of Musk's net wealth.
Posting on Twitter on Sunday, the Tesla chief executive said: "If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6 billion will solve world hunger, I will sell Tesla stock right now and do it."

"But it must be open source accounting, so the public sees precisely how the money is spent," he added.
Beasley replied to Musk's post on Twitter, saying he could assure the billionaire that the WFP had the systems in place for transparency and open source accounting."

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 3, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's amazing that he doesn't need penny by penny breakdowns for where all the money goes in order to do half the stuff that he already wants to do.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

👀👀 Great job opportunity going here lads…

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TllPrdbZ-VI

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sent mine

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/patrickjbutler/status/1455660406886785028

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm amazed there are any public toilets left to sell off.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Guavanaut posted:

It's amazing that he doesn't need penny by penny breakdowns for where all the money goes in order to do half the stuff that he already wants to do.

Almost like big brain Musky isn't the genius he is portrayed to be. 'Tell everyone your strategy before hand so suppliers can price gouge'.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
THE PISS MUST FLOW
Into a gutter because the public toilets have been sold off and converted into 8 compact studio apartments for £300pw

Not sure how selling everything off ties into the whole 'levelling up after a decade of austerity' thing, but I'm not good at government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The marketplace will gauge the value of your piss and ensure that only the best piss is allowed to be conveyed into are glourious british beaches, while the low class piss must fester in the flowerbeds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

You seem overqualified.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Random thing I just learned reading about energy company collapses: variable green energy tariffs are exempt from the OFGEM price cap, so anyone with good intentions who signed up to one will currently be paying 2-3x the power bill of someone on a non-green energy tariff.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Portsmouth sold one of theirs to become a cafe and another to become a nursery.

18 left, 12 for tourists :lol:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Unsurprisingly, the Tories are planning to try to prevent Owen Paterson getting suspended for being corrupt:

Things like this are why I don't call them the Conservatives any more - because their reverence for tradition and precedent gets thrown right in the bin as soon as tradition and precedent starts to have a negative impact on them.
It also makes it pretty clear how many other MPs are doing exactly the same thing as Paterson but just haven't been caught yet.
And yeah, of course that ghoul Leadsom would be involved somewhere.

None of those regulatory bodies predate the cash-for-questions affair of 1995. This is absolutely about restoring the traditions and precedent of ordinary parliamentary conduct against more recent impositions, and bringing back the good old days when you could earn a bit of extra cash helping out your mates without people throwing around nasty words like 'corruption' or 'bribery'.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Oh FFS, my sister's kids brought covid home with them and now my mum tested +ve on the at-home test. She's been wheeled through to a drive in tent for a proper one. Results in a few days.

My partner was with her this week so has possibly been exposed, which means *I've* possibly been exposed. Brilliant.

E:

Jakabite posted:

Chalk me up as another positive corona test. Same day I had a swab shoved down my cock to test for knobrot too. What a day.

Thoughts & Prayers

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 3, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Chalk me up as another positive corona test. Same day I had a swab shoved down my cock to test for knobrot too. What a day.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

rip

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
If the ZOE app is anything to go by (I seem to recall some talk that it was better at predicting outbreaks than the government) poo poo is popping off at the moment

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Halloween's getting a bit ridiculous now
https://twitter.com/sleeful/status/1455592525348102146

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't understand what it's meant to depict.

Is the troop marrying the embodied concept of respect? Is the bride furiously remembering while having a pretend marriage to her dead troop?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

I don't understand what it's meant to depict.

Is the troop marrying the embodied concept of respect? Is the bride furiously remembering while having a pretend marriage to her dead troop?
It's that this is a diseased country

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really do think they missed a trick selling the 10 foot walmart skeletons over here, imagine the respect levels you could achieve if you put a brodie hat on a 10 foot skeleton.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mannequin 3: Stolen Valour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

The poo poo always makes me feel like we're gonna see the insufficiently patriotic burned alive in poppy wickermen to ensure a strong harvest before too long.