Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Are you suggesting the whole thing except the ship was already animated and someone brought it to Disney first, rather than staff at Paramount being told to make something

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

You're starting a step too far ahead; A pitch can be as vague on-paper as an outline of "Alien kids with a cool/special ship" and the rest gets filled in as it's woven into Star Trek, it doesn't necessarily have to have the whole ship and cast fully designed and ready to drop into the show. Not that that's necessarily happened here, but it's not hard to see why it looks like a retooled pitch pilot.

xerxus posted:

It's part of Kurtzman's 'strategy' to create different shows meant for different demographics.

At least it sounds like the producers know what not to do for a decent show. And it's sort of a subtle jab at Discovery, if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A pitch can be as vague on-paper as an outline of "Alien kids with a cool/special ship"
Be right back, pitching an animated reboot of Blake's 7.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Payndz posted:

Be right back, pitching an animated reboot of Blake's 7.

I would unironically watch this

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean it seems like it's paying off so far...

Yeah Discovery might not be pitched at Rich Evans, and Picard might not be pitched at people who like good tv, but as a business strategy it looks like it's being fantastically successful.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would unironically watch this
I haven't had a chance to watch Prodigy yet, but:

"A ragtag group of mismatched prisoners unexpectedly gain control of an incredibly advanced spaceship (with an AI built in) and go on the run, pursued by the forces of a cruel and dictatorial enemy that wants said ship for itself."

The lawyers of Terry Nation's estate suddenly perk up, but aren't sure why.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 3, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"Also there's a Federation."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're starting a step too far ahead; A pitch can be as vague on-paper as an outline of "Alien kids with a cool/special ship" and the rest gets filled in as it's woven into Star Trek, it doesn't necessarily have to have the whole ship and cast fully designed and ready to drop into the show.

Yep, so many pitches end up nothing like they started out as, and it's often not usually that, that is a very good thing. Many classic movies and shows started with a very different pitch.

xerxus posted:

It's part of Kurtzman's 'strategy' to create different shows meant for different demographics.

And I mean I'm a fan of LD and have high hopes for SNW. If there's five shows going and two of them are aimed towards I like... well good?

Not a fan of a lot of Kurtzman and co's decision, but this one just makes a lot of sense. Much better then just doing the same stuff over and over and burning everyone out. Varieties good and healthy. I mean still wish Picard and Disco were better written though, apparently they do have their audince.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Historically star trek shows have trended towards finding out mid-season if they have another year or if they are getting cancelled. The fact that these shows are getting multiple year deals is good for them and the people working on them and a reasonable health check on how popular they are.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Multi-season deals are much more common for ten episode seasons, and much more common for animation. That said, the shows do appear to be healthy. Although I'm surprised we haven't had an LD4 announcement yet.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
For Star Trek to be good there must be one sacrifice show.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

apatheticman posted:

For Star Trek to be good there must be one sacrifice show.

So can we wickerman one?

You know, for the greater good, better harvest, and all that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dr_rat posted:

So can we wickerman one?

You know, for the greater good, better harvest, and all that.

That's Discovery, the "prestige" series getting all Kurtzman's attention.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Historically star trek shows have trended towards finding out mid-season if they have another year or if they are getting cancelled. The fact that these shows are getting multiple year deals is good for them and the people working on them and a reasonable health check on how popular they are.

Except in Picard's case, where the relentless pace means not only did they shoot Season 1 without scripts or knowing where the story was going, but they've now also done that for 2 (dude's hoping to pull something together in editing lmao), and have already started 3, likewise with no real plan for where it's going. (or any feedback from the last season AND before nailing down what even happened in season 2)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ashpanash posted:

By the way, Prodigy showerthought: Why does the universal translator make the big burly rock creature that previously spoke in low-pitched grunts have a high-pitched, squeaky voice?

What if Cardassians 'really' sound like dolphins when untranslated?

I wouldn't read too much into it unless it becomes relevant in a more mainline trek show. Otherwise it implies that the Universal Translator is making a lot of judgement calls with regards to how tone and accent are perceived by the listener, which is a whole can of worms.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I watched Prodigy tonight expecting it to be irredeemable poo poo and it was actually pretty drat good :wtc:

This and Lower Decks are making for some good star treks. What is it with the animated ones being good and the live action ones being terrible?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I watched Prodigy tonight expecting it to be irredeemable poo poo and it was actually pretty drat good :wtc:

This and Lower Decks are making for some good star treks. What is it with the animated ones being good and the live action ones being terrible?

Prodigy and Lower Decks have teams of people with proven track records of being talented animators and storytellers behind them and are the furthest removed from Alex Kurtzman and his gaggle of enablers' direct control. Picard was the product of a dude who'd never written or helmed a TV show before and was going through a major life trauma the whole time he was working on it. And Discovery is Kurtzmantropolis, the locus of the entire problem.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Disco season 4 has me interested because I think it’s the first season where they’re not trying to course correct from the previous one in some way. Season two unfucked the Klingons, got rid of Ash, and ditched the 23rd century. Season 3 jettisons the extra character baggage of Nahn and Georgiou, and finally justifies giving Michael the constant spotlight by upgrading her to captain.

Now we have a stable crew and setting, which is hilarious because it took three full seasons to glue that into place.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Disco season 4 has me interested because I think it’s the first season where they’re not trying to course correct from the previous one in some way. Season two unfucked the Klingons, got rid of Ash, and ditched the 23rd century. Season 3 jettisons the extra character baggage of Nahn and Georgiou, and finally justifies giving Michael the constant spotlight by upgrading her to captain.

Now we have a stable crew and setting, which is hilarious because it took three full seasons to glue that into place.

that was my thinking before the trailer, but the focus on another galaxy-scale threat has me very wary

which is not saying anything new I guess, but it just feels like the Disco production crew don’t really know what they want the show to be about beyond vague Trek-esque aspirational themes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think Disco kind of wants to be a blockbuster movie but on TV.

Which makes sense for why the seasons threats are always the same

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crusader posted:

that was my thinking before the trailer, but the focus on another galaxy-scale threat has me very wary

The only positive about it is the trailer heavily implies it's a natural phenomenon and not another random evil person, which would... I guess be different. Kinda.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Grand Fromage posted:

The only positive about it is the trailer heavily implies it's a natural phenomenon and not another random evil person, which would... I guess be different. Kinda.

I don't have a lot of confidence that Discovery's writers wouldn't try to put a human face on it, like how they took the faceless, evil AI puppetmaster that was Control and stuck it in Leland so that it could be punched in the face. (Hell, the Discovery crew even stopped referring to it as "Control" after a while and just said "Leland".) Or how punching Osyraa in the face was presented as the critical moment for solving the Emerald Chain problem.

They get a pass on the Burn because "alien with superpowers almost causes a disaster" is the setup for a dozen other Trek episodes, and also punching Su'Kal in the face would not have actually undone the massive ecological disaster.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

blastron posted:

and also punching Su'Kal in the face would not have actually undone the massive ecological disaster.

Maybe not, but they could have at least tried it. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

as long as it's not another crybaby doing it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Michael, your tears have flooded the galaxy

Yes

No I don't know how the gently caress that works

That's not my problem

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh this is the origin story of fluidic space

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looking forward to Michael punching this anomaly in the face

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What is it with the animated ones being good and the live action ones being terrible?

They're following the DC model

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
John Noble's character looks just so bad to me in that red light.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are you saying that they didn't have to turn on the red light?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

HD DAD posted:

But shouldn't course correcting just be storytelling? Storytelling is going from here to there. If you want to make a hard change you don't need to write a bad story to do it. The start of season three was a complete re-baseline of the story that should have left them without any baggage they didn't want. After that point, it seems like it's hard to blame their existing setting. The fact that they managed to find awkward things that constrained them seems to say something about their writing method. Like, this is intentionally part of what they're doing with storytelling. I think they're just trying to tell stories that aren't that interesting to me.

That's okay, I need things to play in the background when I'm doing other stuff!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

T.C. posted:

But shouldn't course correcting just be storytelling? Storytelling is going from here to there. If you want to make a hard change you don't need to write a bad story to do it. The start of season three was a complete re-baseline of the story that should have left them without any baggage they didn't want. After that point, it seems like it's hard to blame their existing setting. The fact that they managed to find awkward things that constrained them seems to say something about their writing method. Like, this is intentionally part of what they're doing with storytelling. I think they're just trying to tell stories that aren't that interesting to me.

That's okay, I need things to play in the background when I'm doing other stuff!

I think the big problem is they feel the need to justify shakeups with drawn out arcs that eat up precious time. The show seems averse to just going “boom, this is how it is now”. In TNG, Geordi became chief engineer between seasons and it was acknowledged by three lines of dialogue. If that was done in Disco, I’m almost certain there would have been a season-long arc of him going through some kind of personal hell to prove his worthiness of being chief.

Basically, it feels like the writers know where they want to take the show, but they don’t trust the audience to go along with sudden changes. So it becomes this plodding thing to gradually shift gears. They knew they wanted Disco to go to the 31st century by the end of the first season, and then spent the entirety of the second creating the most convoluted way to get there. Seriously, just have a spore drive gently caress up, end up in the future, “oops we can’t go back”. We would have rolled our eyes, but would have gone along with it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i still do not understand the plot of Disco S02 and i watched it and read a lot about it after

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Rok-Tahk is definitely the MVP of the second episode of Prodigy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

i still do not understand the plot of Disco S02 and i watched it and read a lot about it after

They hosed it up

You'd have to misunderstand what happened on screen for it to actually make sense to you

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Bloop posted:

They hosed it up

You'd have to misunderstand what happened on screen for it to actually make sense to you

Yum Yum

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

J33uk posted:

Rok-Tahk is definitely the MVP of the second episode of Prodigy.

Janeway absolutely knows they're not cadets but is just going "gently caress it, let's just roll with it and see what happens"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
holo janeway is just a federation recruiter, this is how they lure kids into starfleet if they didn't grow up on a starship themselves.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can someone explain the plot of season 2 of DISCO for me like I'm a 5 year old?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can someone explain the plot of season 2 of DISCO for me like I'm a 5 year old?

Terminator in space, if Skynet were built by the CIA instead of an arms manufacturer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that part kinda makes sense. the time travel mom stuff is where i fully dont understand