Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The United States posted:

Skyfall: clearly the women in charge are incompetent failures, time to put the men in charge

Spectre: nope that won't fix it either, maybe the best thing to do would be to just quit doing things and maybe we can be saved?

NTTD: it's terminal, brexit didn't save us, america can't help, time to commit national suicide

hey, this is also what happened in national politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

StashAugustine posted:

The GBS thread did have one guy who complained it wasn't formulaic enough in his experience as a scriptwriter (had several rejected scripts for american dad)

just incredible energy

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

indigi posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckin hell

lol at the idea that getting baptized and converting was good enough to save a jew from the nazis

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't know who created Kingo, but I want to figure out how to get them to have Kingo to the polls!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

hey, this is also what happened in national politics

uh we never put the women in charge so actually we dont know

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Queengo?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Choose your own adventure holocaust book

gently caress, there are multiple books made by that guy.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-Roseman/e/B001JRUJSQ/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

it looks like the author was literally a rabbi and I think that was meant to be a Bad ending
https://www.smu.edu/libraries/digitalcollections/kdr

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

never trust book twitter

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

The GBS thread did have one guy who complained it wasn't formulaic enough in his experience as a scriptwriter (had several rejected scripts for american dad)

I was there for that live, they tried to cite "Save the Cat" to support their arguments for more formulaic plot beats in Dune lmao.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
for those of you who are unaware of what that means, save the cat is a book on writing and is pretty much the mark of bad/inexperienced writers. it's held up as the bible of writing fiction but it just teaches you to write utterly formulaic stuff. if you want to learn to write better stories, then read better stories and learn from the writers you admire -- that's the secret. but save the cat is held up by so many people as the only book you ever need because it was written by none other by Hollywood screenwriter blake snyder. who is blake snyder i hear you ask? well, blake snyder is the guy behind the infamously bad films stop! or my mom will shoot! and blank check. of the former, stallone infamously said that an earthworm could've written a better story.

save the cat is just one of the many books that promise to turn you into an amazing writer. the thing is, if you need a book to tell you the kind of beginner-level advice on writing they usually offer (remember to engage all the reader's senses, and give the protagonist an arc!) then you probably aren't ready to write a story. i happen to know a pretty decent writer who swore by save the cat but really began to blossom once he threw the book aside and wished he'd done it earlier. if you want good writing advice, source it from authors you admire or are critical/commercial successes. don't source it from some guy who wrote two movies that are an average of 10% on rotten tomatoes and have mouth-watering descriptors like "witless" "contrived" "numbingly awful" and "unfunny."

if you want to be really cynical about it, you can always wonder: why would someone sell you the secrets to writing well instead of using the secret formula themselves? it's basically a grift. not too far removed from any other kind of scheme that promises you the secret to making money off your art. the real secret to making money off your art is this: you probably won't. the trick of it all is accepting that and doing it anyway.

Horizon Burning has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Nov 3, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

save the cat was extremely popular in intro college film programs like 7-8 years ago so the current crop of burnout would-be scriptwriters all had exposure to it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Atrocious Joe posted:

it looks like the author was literally a rabbi and I think that was meant to be a Bad ending
https://www.smu.edu/libraries/digitalcollections/kdr

it’s still a deeply weird portrayal of One Weird Tip To Avoid Auschwitz (the ss HATES this!!)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

is the new james bond good? it seems pretty bad and lib

Great action scenes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

uber_stoat posted:

-story spans 7000 years
-fight cool dinosaurs
-kingo
-superheroes make gently caress
-better than cats

Will there be a butthole cut of Eternals??

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

is the new james bond good? it seems pretty bad and lib

my wife and I loved it. fun, which has been missing from bond for a long while. the ending is amazing too. I'd definitely say it's worth the watch.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Finally watched DUNC last night: Movie was 2.5 hours and still felt missing so much.
Very pretty though, but spent a little too much time rubbing my face in it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Will there be a butthole cut of Eternals??

Kingo Kango Kongo I don't want to see his butthole, oh no no no.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Kingo Kango Kongo I don't want to see his butthole, oh no no no.

They made things like the Atom Bomb
Phastos said "god what have I done?"
Marvel's Eternals!
Is very dense!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

They made things like the Atom Bomb
Phastos said "god what have I done?"
Marvel's Eternals!
Is very dense!

a goon making a lyrical joke that actually scans? well I never

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched DUNC over the weekend.

I've never actually read the original - I was familiar with the universe, the Fremen, the Houses, Shai-Hulud, the Landsraad, the CHOAM League, the Butlerian Jihad, even the Orange Catholic Bible, but that was because I read the Kevin J Anderson prequels since it was the only ones that our school library had and not Frank Herbert's works.

Nevertheless, between that and the video games and general nerd osmosis I was able to follow along well enough.

I liked it! I look forward to the next one.

My only complaint was that a lot of the dialogue was mumbly especially from Lady Jessica and I wish we had subtitles (my :files: copy didn't have one lol!)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read the Kevin J Anderson prequels since it was the only ones that our school library had and not Frank Herbert's works.

that is traumatic. that’s worse than getting only the Star Wars prequels

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
When Kingo's not onscreen everyone needs to be asking "where's Kingo?"

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched DUNC over the weekend.

I've never actually read the original - I was familiar with the universe, the Fremen, the Houses, Shai-Hulud, the Landsraad, the CHOAM League, the Butlerian Jihad, even the Orange Catholic Bible, but that was because I read the Kevin J Anderson prequels since it was the only ones that our school library had and not Frank Herbert's works.

Nevertheless, between that and the video games and general nerd osmosis I was able to follow along well enough.

I liked it! I look forward to the next one.

My only complaint was that a lot of the dialogue was mumbly especially from Lady Jessica and I wish we had subtitles (my :files: copy didn't have one lol!)

sound mixing is such loving dogshit these days in movies that all of them should have subtitles by default. learn to make dialogue audible again you idiots

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1455927721683562500

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

im relieved to see someone else say this because i was worried about my hearing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i was very glad DUNC released on HBO Max where I can turn on subtitles, especially because while I've absorbed a lot of the unique names and words through osmosis over the years, my wife was going in with no prior knowledge whatsoever and even just keeping names straight would have been really tricky without them

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
going to see dune on the big screen, catching covid, now able to do the sardaurkar chant when i speak

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Serf posted:

sound mixing is such loving dogshit these days in movies that all of them should have subtitles by default. learn to make dialogue audible again you idiots

I love having to constantly adjust my volume, so the last decade has been good for me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I had to set my volume to where the action scenes were tolerably loud, which made most of the dialogue mumbly and inaudible, luckily I'm usually watching with subtitles anyway. DUNC was pretty good. Too bad the only character with real personal charisma ended up dying leaving us with people who can only speak with one emotion (gravitas)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Too bad about it being a game of thrones ripoff though. Leto Atreides is an obvious Ned Stark expy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I have to be honest with the exception of two scenes in Tenet I’ve never had trouble hearing or understanding dialogue in any of these movies and my hearing isn’t good. I wonder what that’s about

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i watched it at home with subtitles and am going to see it in imax today before eternals bumps it out

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

I have to be honest with the exception of two scenes in Tenet I’ve never had trouble hearing or understanding dialogue in any of these movies and my hearing isn’t good. I wonder what that’s about

some people are gifted in a special way.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i will give christopher nolan this, if you tried to get around the inaudible dialogue in tenet your reward was subtitles that said "inaudible"

rarely have i wanted to choke a film director to death but he sure came close

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

some people are gifted in a special way.

it’s the most useless gift. I’d like to return it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

indigi posted:

unfortunately this means you are the kwisatz haderach

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

vyelkin posted:

unfortunately this means you are the kwisatz haderach

well I’m already a giant volcel worm so this tracks

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i didn't really have an issue hearing the dialogue in tenet, it was just that the sound mix pulled everything to the forefront so you'd get ancillary stuff like breaking glass, screeching metal, rustling leaves, the flutter of a bird's wings, the whisper of an unseen child, pushed to your ears all at the same level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite fact about Save the Cat is that the author had an axe to grind with Memento because it was a successful movie that didn't fit into his formula.