Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Puntification posted:

The poo poo always makes me feel like we're gonna see the insufficiently patriotic burned alive in poppy wickermen to ensure a strong harvest before too long.
And then everyone involved hangs each other for buming the poppy, as is proper

e: at exactly 11 on 11/11 for reasons they have long forgotten

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because they launched the once and future video game, skyrim.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anybody done remembrance poppy NFTs yet? (1 purchase == 1 respect)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Oh god this is my local supermarket

Thankfully my fridge is fully stocked up on both milk and respects

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Because they launched the once and future video game, skyrim.

Have you tried VR skyrim it's pretty great.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

If the ZOE app is anything to go by (I seem to recall some talk that it was better at predicting outbreaks than the government) poo poo is popping off at the moment

It's absolutely not better at predicting anything than anyone, it's a bunch of hypochondriacs and worried well reporting every tickle in their throat as a covid symptom and the fact it's completely disinterested in the result of any subsequent test makes the "data" they collect worthless, particularly given the nasty cold that's also going around.

It *may* have been able to give a couple of days advance warning of regional spread in the early days when testing was pretty much only once you were in hospital, but now every household in the country has access to instant at-home testing. Its numbers are so far out of whack with the official ones that it'd have to be a moon-landing-level government coverup (or evidence that the vaccines are wildly more succesful than anyone even dreamed) for them to be correct.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No way in hell am I spending money on VR anything, I hate buying games full price let alone hundreds of pounds of peripherals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

They have and I absolutely refuse to look up the tweet again to work out if it was a joke or not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm going to sell the tomb of the unknown soldier as an NFT and then use the money to buy a tesla and a vr headset.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's absolutely not better at predicting anything than anyone, it's a bunch of hypochondriacs and worried well reporting every tickle in their throat as a covid symptom and the fact it's completely disinterested in the result of any subsequent test makes the "data" they collect worthless, particularly given the nasty cold that's also going around.

It *may* have been able to give a couple of days advance warning of regional spread in the early days when testing was pretty much only once you were in hospital, but now every household in the country has access to instant at-home testing. Its numbers are so far out of whack with the official ones that it'd have to be a moon-landing-level government coverup (or evidence that the vaccines are wildly more succesful than anyone even dreamed) for them to be correct.

well that's not what they say ;)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

No way in hell am I spending money on VR anything, I hate buying games full price let alone hundreds of pounds of peripherals.

You should treat yourself, VR's a good laugh. I'd have thought virtual tourism without leaving home would appeal to you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

VR is the absolute tits, and it's still pretty much in its infancy. I mean it always has been, except now the tech is actually good enough to sustain a market.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really have much interest in tourism at all, and if I want to be outside I want, like the full experience, sound, sight, smell, heat cold tactile, all of it. Going outside is quite nice, I went to go sleep in the forest last summer because it was too warm, very pleasant.

Some of the VR stuff looks neat, but I mostly find myself wishing it was just available as a normal game.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

VR is the absolute tits, and it's still pretty much in its infancy. I mean it always has been, except now the tech is actually good enough to sustain a market.

The infancy part is a large part of the disinterest. I might get it when it becomes much cheaper and much more developed, but I am not interested enough to pay to be a guinea pig.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

well that's not what they say ;)

If their numbers of active infections are correct then the combined spread of vaccines in this country are 99% effective at preventing hospitalisation and over 99.9% effective at preventing death, and that's from *symptomatic* cases which are at most 75% of total cases.

That's only a rough estimate because for some reason (I'm sure not to stymie exactly this kind of comparison) they don't actually publish daily new infections as a raw dataset so it's much harder to compare against official numbers. The point is they're claiming that both outright numbers and rate of growth are substantially higher than the official numbers and yet deaths and hospitalisations are growing at a far, far slower rate, so either the government are lying about deaths (not impossible, granted), the vaccines are so effective we can hold the world doorknob-licking tournament here tomorrow with no fear, or Zoe have a fundamentally flawed methodology that it's against their commercial interests to fix because scary numbers keep them in the news and make more people sign up to have all their health data sold.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This guy, except covered in poppies, being dragged to the cliffside to placate the old gods of the sea.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really have much interest in tourism at all, and if I want to be outside I want, like the full experience, sound, sight, smell, heat cold tactile, all of it. Going outside is quite nice, I went to go sleep in the forest last summer because it was too warm, very pleasant.

Some of the VR stuff looks neat, but I mostly find myself wishing it was just available as a normal game.

The infancy part is a large part of the disinterest. I might get it when it becomes much cheaper and much more developed, but I am not interested enough to pay to be a guinea pig.

It's not really in infancy anymore, that was true 4 years ago. Also you'd be surprised how immersive it is with hand tracking.

You can get a lenovo explorer on ebay in good condition for under 200 quid, it's a very good budget headset (I did exactly this).

The bigger problem is having the computer to run it and buying the games which can be quite expensive, though they are in bundles and on sale occasionally. Still it's probably about £300 all told.

There's also the oculus quest 2 if you don't have a gaming PC, but it's a bit more pricey.

Apologies for the VR games chat.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Necrothatcher posted:

You should treat yourself, VR's a good laugh. I'd have thought virtual tourism without leaving home would appeal to you.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For me is just too much of a novelty. I just want to sit back, relax and play games, not stand up in the middle of the room.
Very fun at parties but I don't see myself ever getting one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I could buy fifty hours of eating fish and chips for £300. And also thus nearly two months food.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

For me is just too much of a novelty. I just want to sit back, relax and play games, not stand up in the middle of the room.
Very fun at parties but I don't see myself ever getting one.

There just don't seem to be many actual games that aren't novelties. Until there is, it's hard to justify the cost.

Plus if we're going to have expensive peripherals I'd rather the fake music instrument genre came back, loved Rock Band.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

feedmegin posted:

That's what we are doing. Our lease at Dirty Des's pad was up anyway so we've sold up and got a smaller office in Aldgate - it is no longer physically possible to have everyone in 5 days a week even if we wanted to. Plan is basically 2 days a fortnight in for meetings and planning and that only from February. Regular set top box snuggling remains at home from now on.

We were supposed to be going back in Nov for a couple of days a week (and hopefully employ/train up a couple of new 1st-line techs) but that went on hold what with rate spikes, and now we've just been told we've been sold off to a Portuguese company so god alone knows what's next.

On the bright side the one guy we've seen from our new masters seems decent, they seem keen on keeping us as a going local concern, and having a possible bolthole in Europe could come in very handy in the next few years...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

last christmas I drank a lot and played superhotVR with the inlaws and it was great, nothing beats jeopardising the living room furniture by blindly jumping around in a space hat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

xtothez posted:

Thankfully my fridge is fully stocked up on both milk and respects

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

this is what happens when you're not allowed to say "no, that's loving mental"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

There just don't seem to be many actual games that aren't novelties. Until there is, it's hard to justify the cost.

Plus if we're going to have expensive peripherals I'd rather the fake music instrument genre came back, loved Rock Band.

aren't all video games novelties?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

OwlFancier posted:

I could buy fifty hours of eating fish and chips for £300. And also thus nearly two months food.

Yeah but Fish And Chip Simulator on Steam has nearly endless replayability value so depends if you're in for a more long term investment.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mega Comrade posted:

drat, is it really necessary to stand? I was getting tempted before.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
VR's nice, but the headsets aren't very comfortable yet. If you haven't already rushed to buy one, there's no harm in holding off a bit longer to the next generation of headsets that'll hopefully be nicer to wear.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I assume you mean the N&S building up by Billingsgate

Yup. For the 3 weeks or so I worked there before lockdown, I could look out the window and see this https://www.alamy.com/weather-vane-billingsgate-fish-market-london-image67943750.html

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

At least this one is actually in a british uniform, 9 times out of 10 when the poppy nonces do something like this they use a mannequin in an american uniform (or that one bloke who put an SS skeleton in his front garden)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Oh dear me posted:

Not for everything. Some games are just basically a normal game with head tracking and 3d (the vr abilities for elite dangerous for example) . But the bulk of the games involve full movement yes.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

jbrereton sucking up to Johnson again at PMQs.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Holy poo poo someone launch poppycoin, quick.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

TACD posted:

my Proof Of Respect cryptocurrency is so popular it takes two hundred GPUs remembering the war dead at top speeds to mine a single coin

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's pretty much how prayer wheels work.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

aren't all video games novelties?

I'd not have said so. I'd have regarded "novelty" as something new & possibly unusual & I don't think that's really applicable to a form of entertainment that's been around longer than I've been alive.

I'd not say they are all disposable because that would be unfair but also a lot of VR games seem more like "experiences" & "showcases for the technology" or "proof of concepts" rather than something you can sink hours into. Something like Job Simulator seems very fun to whip out at a party & go "check this out" but once you rattle around in it for half an hour is there much more to get from it? Meanwhile, sure I'll play another few hundred hours of this loving Paradox game because I'm a mug.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Oh dear me posted:

Not at all, there's plenty of stuff that you can play seated such as racing sims, anything that has the option of teleportation movement (most games!), media stuff, PokerstarsVR and the fantastic goon-made Gorilla Tag.

It's still quite a novelty to me though - i find I tend to pick my VR headset up for just a week or so every 3-4 months when there's something new I want to try. My regular gaming still happens on flat screens.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It'severy household in the country has access to instant at-home testing.
What’s the latest information on the accuracy of these? I remember early on reading the accuracy was appalling and we had access to loads because the US rejected them as useless, and then later on reading that actually they’re fine?

I still do a test before seeing somebody but it feels more like a symbolic ritual, is it useful?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

my Proof Of Respect cryptocurrency is so popular it takes two hundred GPUs remembering the war dead at top speeds to mine a single coin

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

I'd not have said so. I'd have regarded "novelty" as something new & possibly unusual & I don't think that's really applicable to a form of entertainment that's been around longer than I've been alive.

I'd not say they are all disposable because that would be unfair but also a lot of VR games seem more like "experiences" & "showcases for the technology" or "proof of concepts" rather than something you can sink hours into. Something like Job Simulator seems very fun to whip out at a party & go "check this out" but once you rattle around in it for half an hour is there much more to get from it? Meanwhile, sure I'll play another few hundred hours of this loving Paradox game because I'm a mug.

I think VR generally being a more active experience and just not really wanting to wear a headset for hours at a time means its better for shorter and more arcadey experiences.

That said I've been gaming for decades and pretty much all of my most memorable experiences in the last two years have been in VR games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

:sickos: